PDA

View Full Version : Hard disk space

Diluded
10th October 2007, 05:46 PM
..were is it all?

I just did a complete wipe and reinstall of panther on my new (secondhand) ibook using the supplied disks ....now the spec says it needs 1.5 gig space and with nothing installed except office and no user data yet it has ballooned out to about 10 gig........so what can i get rid of and to be more precise me being a complete mac n00b how?

ps its a 1.33ghz 256mb with a 40gig drive

sorry this is also a dual post (also in ocau's forum)

shorebuck
10th October 2007, 05:53 PM
Did the disks include iLife? that chews up a fair bit of space - doing a default install on my ibook with the disks used up 15 or so gig.

Diluded
10th October 2007, 06:09 PM
Did the disks include iLife? that chews up a fair bit of space - doing a default install on my ibook with the disks used up 15 or so gig.

no idea, but there is imovie etc on now :confused:

soulman
10th October 2007, 06:13 PM
There is a free utility called Whatsize which will tell you where all the space is being used. Based on what you find there and if you really want the extra space, you might wish to reinstall and leave out the stuff you don't want next time.

For example, 10.4 contains brazillions of squigabytes of Printer Drivers, Kanji Fonts and other foreign language support. If you don't want all that stuff then don't install it. GarageBand - in iLife - contains a large amount of loops & stuff. Don't install it or iDVD or maybe even iMovie if you aren't going to use them.

You can delete the stuff you don't want but it's not always obvious how & what to do if you're new to the platform. Not installing it in the first place is much easier.

shorebuck
10th October 2007, 06:38 PM
Ilife (imovie, iphoto, etc) is where the space went; 1.5 gig would be just for the OS only.

When installing, check for a custom install option (sorry, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head) and go from there.

vicmeldrew
10th October 2007, 06:54 PM
As soulman suggests, do a reinstall. If you do, during the process you'll be given the option not to install some components.

During the reinstallation process you should notice a "Customise" option on one of the windows. It will be towards the left hand side. Hit that and uncheck what you won't use as soulman says.

You might want to get a another RAM sodimm in there. Get at least another 512mb if money is an issue or otherwise get a 1gb module. DDR ram tends tend be fairly cheap atm. Also wait a few weeks when 10.5 gets released and grab some cheap second hand retail 10.4 Tiger install discs to upgrade your OS.

Currawong
10th October 2007, 08:20 PM
Did you do a custom install, ie: click on "Customise" as it appears available in the OSX installer? That way, you can remove printer drivers, languages and other stuff (iDVD and Garageband, if included, take up many gigabytes of space).

Diluded
11th October 2007, 02:53 PM
you guys are so correct, and im going to do all your recomendations so bung in goes the sodimm and nuke goes the install and custom here i come
cheers

Byrd
11th October 2007, 02:59 PM
Hey, I replied to your OCAU post - welcome! :)

Custom install lacking printer and language drivers saves a heap doesn't it - 2 - 3GB at most.

JB

Currawong
11th October 2007, 07:22 PM
Note also the stupid hard drive size issue, where because they switched from 1024mB = 1GB to 1000Mb = 1Gb, the drive size listed as the latter and the computer reporting the former, that you are being ripped off a few GB when you buy a drive.