PDA

View Full Version : Can't install Java on XP in Bootcamp

prince
8th October 2007, 10:57 AM
My uni requires Java to login to the wireless network. But for some reason i cannot open the installer file or install it via online. Nothing shows up!

Has anyone else had this problem?

purana
8th October 2007, 11:30 AM
What version you attempting to install? Can you confirm the name of the exe installer your trying to execute?

Tried to download a copy from sun directly?

coljac
8th October 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, this is a new one on me, and I've installed a million javas.

Where did you get the installer from - java.sun.com? What happens when you try?

prince
8th October 2007, 03:11 PM
Java.com is where i'm d/ling from.

i tried downloading the online and offline versions for XP and it doesn't work. Nothing happens when i double click the exe file!

Also if i go to a website that needs Java, Firefox will tell me i need the extension and download it, and it just doesn't want to go any further after the downloading.

prince
8th October 2007, 03:17 PM
ok i'm on the java.sun.com website

there's a million Java files i don't know which one to download!!

just tested this file "jre-6-windows-i586-iftw.exe" and i can't open it. ARGH!

spilla
8th October 2007, 03:20 PM
Have you tried installing it from within Internet Explorer?

Does your XP install have SP2?

coljac
8th October 2007, 03:25 PM
If you want to download the Java development kit, go to java.sun.com, select Java SE, and download JDK 6 Update 3 - windows offline installation. This will get your browser going.

All you should really need though is "Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003 Offline" from java.com. Have you tried rebooting? The mysteriously sliently failing exe is very odd.

Also, try doing run>cmd, change directories to where the exe is, and running the exe from the command line. It may show some more info.
e.g.

c:\>cd \Documents and Settings
c:\Documets and Settings>cd prince
c:\prince>jre1.6.0.3.exe

ERROR: Your computer is broken. Use a Mac.

AUSMUG
8th October 2007, 03:28 PM
I had a similar problem under Parallels.

At TAFE me and my son in one class had to use the MySQL Migration Tool to migrate a database from Access to MySQL. The MySQL Migration Tool is only available for Windows platform and requires Java. On my sons new iMac which was running Fusion all he had to do was install the runtime version of Java however on my MacBook Pro running Parallels when I tried the same thing it failed every time and wouldn't install. In the end I downloaded the Java SDK instead (much bigger download) however after installing it everything worked fine. By the way the Java SDK included the runtime version as part of the install process.

prince
8th October 2007, 04:20 PM
hmmm IE wasn't working so i downloaded and installed IE7 to try and get Java working, now it won't load XP!

the loading bar just keeps going and going and going and going... this winblows.

coljac
8th October 2007, 04:26 PM
This is why we're on MacTalk AU and not WindowsWoes AU, I guess.

Good luck getting XP back. It sounds like installing the JDK would be the best workaround for the original problem.

prince
8th October 2007, 06:31 PM
ok i got XP working again...

now to try and tackle this problem!!