PDA

View Full Version : Need a YoYo adapter! Halp?

grindFish
7th October 2007, 06:20 PM
I've got a g3 powerbook collecting dust as the 'YoYo' has given up. I've tried finding replacement adapters on ebay, but i've been sent duds twice now and don't feel like risking any further. There was an apple retailer near me that had one, but they were asking $200 for it, naturally i told them to go explode. If there is any one in adelaide that can help me out i would like to hear from you :D

iPirate
7th October 2007, 07:29 PM
I take it you just want the yoyo look, not just the charger aspect (I hear the later chargers should be compatible but less breakable).

Or have I been totally misguided and the later chargers (although using similar looking plugs) are incompatible?

Linux_insidev2
7th October 2007, 07:30 PM
send an email to tom on tandb.com.au I believe he may have just what you need!

cosmichobo
7th October 2007, 07:38 PM
When you say - been sent duds off eBay... were they original parts or the aftermarket ones?

Original YoYos sell for around $75 on eBay...

I have 3 YoYos in my house... (1 x Pismo, 2 x iBook clams) 2 work, 1 has bad connections in the plug... If you look online, there are places that will give you a step-by-step on how to fix them... if that is the problem.

Linux_insidev2
7th October 2007, 07:42 PM
ahh

A sidenote, it could be the computer itself that is broken - my lombard had to have the power socket replaced shortly after i bought it. solder points broke.

Carcenomy
12th October 2007, 10:19 AM
From my experience with the YoYo, the adapter itself is usually fine, it's the wiring that was terribly sub-par.

Mine failed the first time when the wires broke off just back from the plug at the computer end, then the wires broke off at the yoyo end of the powercord (nearly burnt my damned house down), now the wires are breaking at the wall socket end...

So really the first thing to check is if it's arcing inside any of the cables. If not, multimeter to find out if it's still pumping out 24V... if it is, chances are you need to pop your Powerbook apart.

conufsed
12th October 2007, 10:46 AM
I have a repaired yoyo (I tripped on it a few years ago and got one of the hardware guys at work to repair it), since then it worked fine up until my ibook disintegrated. If you are interested let me know