PDA

View Full Version : Macbook or 'cookbook'? overheating issue?

mwot
5th October 2007, 01:45 PM
my Macbook has been spontaneously falling asleep during activity. it has only happened in the past day or two and only occurs after my daughter has been playing a game on it for some time*.

which makes me think it is simply overheating and then kicking in with the failsafe shutdown.

normally, my Macbook will run between 54 and 66 degrees. i cannot get a temp reading while playing the game as it cannot be played in window mode - so i can't see the gauge.

it is an annoying problem - is there anything we can do to ensure trouble-free play time? (assuming that it is an overheating problem!)

* 'extensive' testing with other games loaded on the Macbook do not seem to give the same result.

iapplepie
5th October 2007, 01:51 PM
If your daughter is playing the game on a bed or something simular, the ventilation may not be so good so you may want to try playing it on a desk possibly elevated to increase airflow, however this is only a solution if it is a heat problem

mwot
5th October 2007, 02:02 PM
If your daughter is playing the game on a bed or something simular, the ventilation may not be so good so you may want to try playing it on a desk possibly elevated to increase airflow, however this is only a solution if it is a heat problem

this has been happening even on the tabletop. will try it slightly elevated.

g5agogo
5th October 2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds familiar, I think I can help. My daughter has done the same thing on my MBP and it has gone wild. It's usually a flash game that causes the problem. I believe that my problem was with the previous rosetta version of flash. The latest universal flash binary seems to behave much better. (At least I can't recall the wild fan spin behaviour during sleep since I installed it.) I recommend that you check that you have the latest flash universal binary installed.

Hope this helps.

iapplepie
5th October 2007, 02:07 PM
If it ends up being heat and the elevation doesnt work, if you really want a heat solution you can try a heat mat.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4705b9ed0b061c182742c0a87f9c0688/Product/View/XH0479

Im fairly sure they would work on a mac but it might be best to inquire if you decide to purchase

halledise
5th October 2007, 02:30 PM
try resetting the power management utility

mwot
5th October 2007, 03:44 PM
try resetting the power management utility

urm ... how do you do that?

btw, elevating the MB with a small book at the back seems to have made the difference. though it is a bit annoying. but she'll deal with it! :)

icant
5th October 2007, 04:05 PM
If it's heat-related, you so need to get it fixed. Isn't it? My opinion.

mwot
5th October 2007, 04:20 PM
well, it's started doing it again. and the MB is as cool as a cucumber this time.

more serious than heat? it only happens for this one game!

g5agogo
5th October 2007, 04:53 PM
Did you check your flash version?

If Flash isn't the problem, do you know if the game is universal or is it running under Rosetta? Better yet - what is the name of the game?

mwot
5th October 2007, 05:35 PM
game is Ratatouille (http://www.thq.com/games/gameinfo.php?id=1271&upc=49317).

spec requirements on the box are:
G5 or Intel CD
256 mb ram
vid card with 128 mb ram

Flash is only for internet browsers, is it not? if not, how would i check my Flash version anyway?