PDA

View Full Version : YouTube and my Monthly Usage Allowance

rickyd
5th October 2007, 12:28 PM
Hey,

I (as we all) love to browse YouTube occasionally. I just wonder sometimes what the hell streaming actually is. If I were to stream a 10 minute movie (with the same resolution/quality/blah blah) from YouTube would it be as large compared to if I downloaded the video?

TIA.
Ricky.

purana
5th October 2007, 12:32 PM
Let's take this as an example, the youtube clip you attempt to watch via your browser or if you were to download it and then watch. The traffic to do either is basically the same. The size of the streaming clip vs the the downloaded copy is exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

jeremy_warnock
5th October 2007, 12:34 PM
agreed so the file you stream from youtube does go against you monthly usage allowance just the same as if you downloaded it

rickyd
5th October 2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks purana (and jeremy) - I had an inkling it was...

purana
5th October 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks purana - I had an inkling it was...

And if you wanted to get seriously technical, if you could download the clip without having to goto a webpage, ie. you knew the file name and it's location. Then this would be slightly less traffic when using a web browser to access the same data. ie. The webpage contains lots of other content, namely... text, graphics, adverts and the clip itself. So technical one would be slightly more then the other, but if we just focus on the clip itself, the size is the same via either method.

HDK
5th October 2007, 01:34 PM
If I were to stream a 10 minute movie (with the same resolution/quality/blah blah) from YouTube would it be as large compared to if I downloaded the video?

I guess you'd have to keep in mind that youtube do compress and convert the uploaded video to flash, which ends up considerably smaller than the original file the user uploaded.
So I would say it depends on the source of the file you are accessing.

iPirate
5th October 2007, 02:23 PM
I often download the files from youtube instead of getting the stream (so I don't have to keep a tab open and/or have it start playing when I'm not ready... and in case I want to watch it later offline) and get a .FLV file (well, "get_video" with no extensions until I rename it) which is the same size as the one I would have loaded in the tab in Safari.

So downloading the file instead of watching it in the page only means you won't have to have it streamed to you again next time you want to watch it (so long as you keep the downloaded file).

Dante Kyar
5th October 2007, 03:10 PM
I love how easy it is to download the youtube files using safari.

rickyd
5th October 2007, 04:07 PM
I love how easy it is to download the youtube files using safari.

Huh?? How?

zeddie2001
5th October 2007, 04:22 PM
Huh?? How?

When you have navigated to a YouTube video

Window > Activity

Look at the biggest file, and click on it. :cmd:-C, then open a new window, :cmd:-V and it will start downloading to your designated download folder

http://myskitch.com/timzahara/activity-20071005-162109.jpg

Addit: This method works on every video site, in fact, it works on every site for any content (unless it's individual images kept inside a flash construct, like some photographers use to protect them)