PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Macbook or not?



ink3183
4th October 2007, 01:16 AM
Hi...

I need some advice. I have iBook G4 with 512MB and I want to switch my usage just to Mac ( so I'll sell my PC ). Which one is much better , to upgrade my iBook G4 with more memory and hard drive , or spend existing budget on new iMac ( which have Intel Core 2 Duo processor).
Thanks.:rolleyes:

Pink
4th October 2007, 06:14 AM
Well, it would depend on what you use your mac for I'd use your budget and get MBP 15".

Geoff3DMN
4th October 2007, 07:22 AM
It depends upon his budget though.

If it's under $2000 then I'd rather have an iMac with it's discrete graphics card than a MacBook without discrete graphics.

Currawong
4th October 2007, 08:26 AM
If you don't need portability, get an iMac. I don't reckon upgrading G4-based machines is worth the money unless it can be done either very cheaply and the upgrade parts can be used later (eg: SATA drives + SATA PCI card in a G4 tower). Any Intel Mac is going to be so much faster than your iBook.

choy
4th October 2007, 09:08 AM
You need to think carefully about where you use your mac. If a significant proportion of the time is not at your desk, you need to get a macbook or similar. If it's always tied to your desk and you never use it elsewhere, you'll get more bang for your buck (and less eyestrain!) from an iMac.

Geoff3DMN
4th October 2007, 09:27 AM
1 of each is ideal :)

andrew.wilson
4th October 2007, 11:20 AM
If you are looking at buying a MacBook, I would hold off a few weeks (as is my advice to my gf who is also getitng one). There are rumors that they will be updated with Leopard, but who knows. I guess if it isnt urgent you are better off waiting anyway, even if they dont get a new model at least your new computer will ship with Leopard :thumbup:

ink3183
4th October 2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks.... .i had my budget for 1500 -2000, does it still worthed to buy iMac / MacBook rather than upgrade the memory and stuff? I kinda think to buy iMac.Any comment?? hehehe:D:D:D

purana
4th October 2007, 08:29 PM
If you need a powerful desktop mac to replace your aging PC desktop, and don't mind keeping the iBook for portable use. I'd go the iMac, then replace the iBook in another 12 months if you can last.

I purchased an iMac just before they changed and it's the best machine. Love it, replaced an AMD x2 Dual Core PC box which was big and loud :)

sydneyninja
5th October 2007, 11:14 AM
I have the exact same dilemma, I have an iBook G4 14" 1.4ghz and want to either upgrade to an iMac or a Macbook Pro.. thus far cannot decide.. though I think I may wait till 10.5 is released.

spargo
5th October 2007, 11:34 AM
I put my PB up for sale, with the intention of upgrading - After a few weeks and some decent offeres I pulled it off the market and decided not to to go down the eBay path: simply because I think, with Leopard installed on it, coupled with a new Logitech 2.0MP webcam, it will go for another year at least at this rate and then I'll get what I hope will be far better MacBook's that those on offer now.

Work is requiring that I spend far too much time attached to me DELL laptop, so there's no point having a MB sitting on the stand at home.

For those who want to go Intel and MB from their PPC portables right, I say wait 'til Leopard in a few weeks to see if it brings with it a speed/spec-bumped MacBook. And if it doesn't, then at least any new purchase will come with the new OS (like Mr .wilson said above), saving some coin.

jastormont
5th October 2007, 12:00 PM
If you need a powerful desktop mac to replace your aging PC desktop, and don't mind keeping the iBook for portable use. I'd go the iMac, then replace the iBook in another 12 months if you can last.

I purchased an iMac just before they changed and it's the best machine. Love it, replaced an AMD x2 Dual Core PC box which was big and loud :)

I think this is the best adivce for you.

I would go with a new I Mac and keep the Ibook for portable use and older Apple apps.

The future is Intel and you might as well upgrade to that platform.

iapplepie
5th October 2007, 01:48 PM
Go the imac unless portability is your main concern eg. if your at school/uni

ink3183
5th October 2007, 06:29 PM
hmmmmmm:confused:

So far I convinced and 70% sure for buying my iMac, however, does the iMac will have more upgrade in the system which worthed waiting for ?? hehehhe....need best deal to get the best desktop hahha...:D:D:D

morn
5th October 2007, 11:40 PM
Only reason to get an iMac is to save money. Quite a lot cheaper than a MBP+external LCD. Performance is similar.
I would not consider it worth giving up portability to save money. It's very useful even if you don't take the computer out of the house. Use it in garden, on the bed, lots more comfort when you don't have to be stuck at a desk.