PDA

View Full Version : Which HDD for Macbook?

tranp
3rd October 2007, 12:39 PM
I'm looking at upgrading the 80Gb internal drive of my Macbook (C2D 2.0 - late 2006). I'm looking at various 160Gb models, but which brand and model should I look out for? A link to an online store would be nice! I guess heat and noise are my main concerns.

I am also considering an external case and sticking in a large 3.5" SATA drive into it, but my previous experiences with this kind of setup were that video playback was somewhat jerky.

LCGuy
3rd October 2007, 01:13 PM
I like Seagate or Hitachi, personally.

vicmeldrew
3rd October 2007, 03:24 PM
I prefer Western Digital and Samsung and I like them big.

http://www.itestate.com.au/products_detail.asp?code=PD00005012

iSlayer
3rd October 2007, 03:58 PM
Another vote for Western Digital here. I tend to stay away from seagate laptop drives after the issues with the ones that were used in macbooks last year

Brains
3rd October 2007, 04:11 PM
For an internal drive, speed is more important than space. The faster your hard drive spins, the faster it can read and write, and because of the way OSX loves paging stuff to disk the faster your boot drive the smoother and more responsive your whole machine becomes.

As far as 2.5" drives go, my preferences are Hitachi, then Toshiba, then Western Digital. Seagates run too hot, Fujitsus are too rattly, and Samsung's quality tends to be patchy. No-one should ever buy a Maxtor.

As for the OP's comment about video playback from an external being patchy, I can only attribute that to the drive enclosure and/or the drive was connected via USB. A high capacity drive in a Firewire-based enclosure will be smooth as silk.

Brains

tranp
3rd October 2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys.

160Gb seems to be the best value for money. Are the 5400rpm drives the fastest reliable notebook drive speed? I'm guessing that my factory Macbook HDD is already 5400rpm.

Brains
4th October 2007, 01:04 AM
No, Hitachi and Toshiba make excellent 7200rpm drives. 5400 will work pretty well, just not as smoothly.

Some of the earlier MacBooks only came with a 4200rpm drive -- use System Profiler to find out what drive you currently have and then check that model's specs online.

B.

tranp
4th October 2007, 01:35 AM
Hmm... 7200rpm is tempting, but I just fear that they may run quite hot.

stevekicks
4th October 2007, 06:43 AM
ive got the 7200rpm seagate 160gb which most hard drive benchmarks says it was the fastest laptop drive available. i havent noticed any more heat than before...

Currawong
4th October 2007, 08:36 AM
Brains is right with one addition: The speed of a drive is also proportionate to the data density of the platters, as well as how full the drive is, as write speeds towards the centre of the platters is slower. So in some cases a much larger, but slower drive that is half full might be faster than a smaller, but faster drive. I'm fairly certain most 160Gb 5400rpm drives and larger use the new, higher density perpendicular recording method, which read and write faster.

There are now 250Gb 7200rpm drives, so you can get the best of both worlds. I'd still get an external Firewire drive (with a case from a Mac retailer, such as Epowermac, as they use a better chipset) for storing large files, such as videos.

Jaffa
4th October 2007, 08:53 AM
Western Digital here :) I bought my western digital drive from itestate.com.au (thiss goes straight to their hard drive section. select 2.5" HDD SATA from theur subcategory drop down and press search to show drives that are compatible with the Macbooks) (http://itestate.com.au/category.asp?ctgcod=C10003062600131) 160gb for less than 120 when i bought it because it was on special , but the current price for it is 125 :)

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Also, I have used the 5400vs7200 drives and I have not noticed a significant difference in the speed of the computer...

tranp
5th October 2007, 01:11 PM
Western Digital here :) I bought my western digital drive from itestate.com.au (thiss goes straight to their hard drive section. select 2.5" HDD SATA from theur subcategory drop down and press search to show drives that are compatible with the Macbooks) (http://itestate.com.au/category.asp?ctgcod=C10003062600131) 160gb for less than 120 when i bought it because it was on special , but the current price for it is 125 :)

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Also, I have used the 5400vs7200 drives and I have not noticed a significant difference in the speed of the computer...

The speed difference is not as apparent as the difference between 4200 and 5400? 4200 is SLOWWWWWWWW.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. 250Gb seems to be too costly to make it worthwhile. As a challenge, I will stick my existing 80Gb into my iBook for 'fun'.

iapplepie
5th October 2007, 01:56 PM
Another fan of western digitals here

jerrah
5th October 2007, 02:06 PM
Just picked up a Samsung 5400rpm 250GB drive for my MBP.:thumbup:

I've had 4 good Samsung laptop drives and many dead seagate and IBM/Hitachi 2.5" drives.

Western Digital on my desktop machines.

jerrah
9th October 2007, 01:59 PM
Installed the 250GB Samsung drive on Friday night into my CoreDuo MBP.

So far the drive seems quite fast, cool and completely silent. It has a slight hum and tick with my ear close to the keyboard but it's drowned out by the already quiet fans.

No problems with firmware. I'll let you know if I have any problems but at this stage it looks like another flawless cool and quiet 2.5" drive from Samsung. :thumbup:

My last three Samsung 2.5" drives (80GBx2 100GB x1) have been in daily use for over two years without a hiccup.

alexc
16th October 2007, 11:10 AM
Installed the 250GB Samsung drive on Friday night into my CoreDuo MBP.

Cool. Thats the drive I'm thinking of. Either that one or this one:

"Seagate ST9200420ASG Momentus 7200.2, 200GB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA 3Gb/s, G PROTECTION"

Which is about $40 more expensive it seems. I'm wondering if the 7200rpm is really going to noticeable faster. Probably not is my guess. And an extra 50GB is always handy.

With Leopard coming I think it's time to treat my MacBook to a nice new HD upgrade and a clean install!

It'll be like getting a new Mac :thumbup::thumbup::D:D

jerrah
16th October 2007, 11:42 AM
It's about time 2.5" drives started coming in larger capacities. I can use my MBP as a 'computer' again. 100GB just didn't cut it anymore.

alexc
17th October 2007, 03:45 PM
Well I'm now thinking I might splash and get the Hitachi 7K200

Storage Review (http://www.storagereview.com/HTS722020K9A00.sr?page=0%2C7) show it to be the fastest of the bunch by a fair margin.

Seems a bit pricey, but worth it I reckon. Especially as I use Lightroom a lot.

Keving
17th October 2007, 04:51 PM
I was looking at external options for my MBP since it's also the 100gig, size wise, you can easily get more then 500gig, but looking at this as an option'

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10811

runs from esata2, which would also require me to purchase a

http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/seritek2sm2e.html

but wouldn't that by far be the fastest drive you could get? 3gigs per second.. that's alot faster then even the internal harddrive of a mbp....

alexc
17th October 2007, 04:56 PM
I was looking at external options for my MBP since it's also the 100gig, size wise, you can easily get more then 500gig, but looking at this as an option'

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10811

runs from esata2, which would also require me to purchase a

http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/seritek2sm2e.html

but wouldn't that by far be the fastest drive you could get? 3gigs per second.. that's alot faster then even the internal harddrive of a mbp....

Well, it would. But there are two small problems:

1. I have a MacBook, so no EC/34 slot

2. It's external. My 60GB internal is barely big enough for the OS and all the apps. And an external kinda defeats the point of having a portable laptop.

mac_man_luke
18th October 2007, 08:28 AM
Stay away from Seagate 2.5" drives - iv had one fail after less than a year (120GB 5400RPM Momentus)

Squozen
18th October 2007, 09:00 AM
Stay away from Seagate 2.5" drives - iv had one fail after less than a year (120GB 5400RPM Momentus)

That's what warranties are for. Every brand has the odd lemon - trust me, I used to repair laptops for a living.

alexc
18th October 2007, 09:12 AM
That's what warranties are for. Every brand has the odd lemon - trust me, I used to repair laptops for a living.

:thumbup::thumbup:

And when it comes to Warranty Repairs the Seagate process is as painless as it gets.

I've had all brands of HD fail on me with no warning,so for me it's all about the RMA process. Seagate's are the best I've ever used.

Step 1: You realise it's broken
Step 2: You send it back to them
Step 3: You get a new drive.

:D

The Seagate ST9200420ASG 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 200GB looks awesome and it's cheaper by $50 than the Hitachi 7K200. Cant find any reviews yet, but I think I'll order one.

Gotta do something - my 60GB is on the limit and I'm sure 10.5 is going to take more space than 10.4. :rolleyes: