PDA

View Full Version : Help: resetting passwords???

iThinkMac
2nd October 2007, 06:20 PM
HI guys, I'm just set up a computer for some friends with everything they need. Trouble is, someone (in the family) has made a password and the apparently know what it is, but it doesn't work when we try it. I booted from the install disc, reset the password, made a new one, and booted up again. Tried the password, and it still doesn't work. Then I went back to reset the password again, and the user is greyed out - I can't reset it. Any help? I don't want to do a clean install...

Thanks,
iTM

BTW, if you don't want to say how to do it here on the public forum, just PM me....thanks!:thumbup:

iThinkMac
2nd October 2007, 06:59 PM
No one want to touch this huh?

kim jong il
2nd October 2007, 07:03 PM
Have you tried no password? (leave it blank). I wasted hours with someone last year when they insisted it had a password where none existed. Worked a treat when I entered nothing.

EDIT: I do realise I could have just reset it but when you have a nervous owner hovering around they can get panicky. :)

iThinkMac
2nd October 2007, 07:14 PM
Tried it. No go.

iThinkMac
2nd October 2007, 07:49 PM
Please, any other suggestions?

Aa
2nd October 2007, 08:32 PM
Sound like more a case of set up a new user and delete the old one rather than a clean install.

The greyed out name is odd... thats outside my experience i'm afraid.

iThinkMac
2nd October 2007, 08:47 PM
OK, trouble is, the Accounts pane in System prefs is locked. I can't unlock it 'cause the password won't work. A REAL nuisance.

iThinkMac
3rd October 2007, 03:45 PM
Any other words of wisdom? I'm supposed to fix the computer tomorrow for the people, and I don't want to cast a bad name on apple hey?!!!:p

kim jong il
3rd October 2007, 06:12 PM
Pull the drive, chuck it an external case, change the permissions in the terminal and suck off the user data. Erase the drive, create a new account with the same name (I presume this is what they would want) and then reinstall their data (and drive).

I do realise this is clumsy work around but, it seems, the better brains aren't giving up their secrets (or time) on this one (sadly, I have no better suggestion). :)

EDIT: Would Currawongs tip in this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=23515) help you?

iThinkMac
4th October 2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks...I'll let you know how I get on. The 'greyed out thing' when I try and reset passwords is probably because it's already been reset once. Is their indeed a limit to the amount of times one can reset the password?