PDA

View Full Version : No sound on DVD created in Toast 7

Bart Smastard
2nd October 2007, 05:10 PM
I have a bin/cue file that I managed to convert to a .mov file and import into Toast. I then broke it down into chapters to put on to DVD.

When I play the videos in Toast they have audio and all seems OK but when I burn it to DVD there's no sound whatsoever.

I've tried audio as both Dolby and PCM (96K) but neither work.

Am I stupid or is there something dodgy with Toast?

And yes, Toast is up-to-date.

Rasta
2nd October 2007, 05:14 PM
Your master volume on the Mac is turned up isn't it?

Or the movie player volume isn't muted?

Sorry.. but that's all the help I can be... no idea otherwise...:rolleyes:

thorevenge
2nd October 2007, 07:21 PM
Sounds like something is funny with the audio codec. This happened to me a lot too.

I now exclusively use VisualHub for this kind of stuff - Toast is just too unreliable.

Bart Smastard
2nd October 2007, 09:37 PM
Aww poo!

I have VisualHub and use it regularly but for this project I had two bin/cue files that I wanted to fit on one DVD, with each video broken up into chapters.

VisualHub doesn't (AFAIK) allow for individual chapter lengths. It only puts chapter breaks at the start of each individual video file or at 5, 10 or 15 minute intervals.

There was no problem in converting the bin/cue files into a continuous video but I was using toast to do the chapters (and committed several hours into doing that).

I'm going to try it in iMovie - should've done that from the start :(

patcanuck
2nd October 2007, 10:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, doesn't the .bin file contain an mpeg file which is the movie with sound and video? I used Gumby to extract the mpg from the .bin on several occasions and wondered why people bother with a conversion if you can just get an mpg straight out of it? Pardon my ignorance in all things to do with videos :)

doughnut
2nd October 2007, 10:08 PM
I had issues with sound loss on some DVDs. After installing the ac3/a52 plugin for QuickTime all is well.

http://tunhguod.com/node/1165

Bart Smastard
3rd October 2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks doughnut, that sounds promising. I'll give it a go.

doughnut
3rd October 2007, 09:56 AM
No worries. I hope it works for you.

Bart Smastard
5th October 2007, 10:50 AM
Well the new ac3/a52 codecs installed OK but the result is still the same - no audio.

Looks like I'll have to do it all over again in iDVD.

Bart Smastard
8th October 2007, 03:02 PM
Over the weekend I imported the files into iMovie, which took 280 minutes apiece, only to find there's no audio.

The original files definitely have sound. when I play them in Quicktime and VLC but there's something about importing into Toast or iMovie that strips away the audio. I have quadruple checked iMovie and the audio settings are correct.

Last night I ripped a new .mpg from the .bin using VCDtools. Played it and confirmed it had sound, then dumped it into iMovie and went to bed.

Played back the video in iMovie this morning and there's no sound again.

I've given up on the chapters. I'll just burn the thing to DVD using VisualHub.

I'm royally p!ssed :(