PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Settings After Shut Down

harps
1st October 2007, 12:34 PM
For some strange reason I'm loosing my settings/preferences when I shut down my PowerBook.

Settings being lost are bookmarks in Safari, size of Dock, etc.

Any ideas why?

harps
1st October 2007, 12:57 PM
Looking into this further I think it is happening when the battery runs flat and laptop goes to suspend mode until power is provided, but not 100% certain.

rob05
1st October 2007, 01:00 PM
The internal Backup battery is more tham likely dead. It should be something like a button battery. These control the date/time and a few other things whilst shutdown.

Try resetting the PRAM to see if it helps.

Currawong
1st October 2007, 01:16 PM
If you're losing your dock size etc it sounds like something else has screwed up. Rather than go to the huge difficulty of trouble-shooting this, I'd simply back up everything you need onto another drive or DVD's and re-install the system doing an "Erase Install".

harps
1st October 2007, 01:36 PM
rob05, how do you reset the PRAM???

rob05
1st October 2007, 01:40 PM
Here you go:

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.I have found going till the third bong/beep works better. I read this at another site a while back.

Linux_insidev2
1st October 2007, 02:26 PM
PRAM does not store preferences or any other software level settings, your PRAM stores system settings like boot devices and hardware settings.

I'm surprised you didn't also use the old chestnut of checking permissions - which funnily enough would be suited to this case.

You will likely need to reinstall the OS - you've broken something.

Currawong
1st October 2007, 02:48 PM
If someone or something has screwed up the permissions inside the user's folder, no permissions fix will repair this, only a knowledge of the Terminal will. A full backup followed by an Erase Install would fix it.

cosmichobo
4th October 2007, 10:24 PM
My Pismo (G3 powerbook) loses its settings when its battery runs down - yeah, I'm guessing its the PRAM battery being dead, as the computer is now 8 years old...from memory, it actually has been doing it ever since I bought it 2nd hand in 2005.

What I'm wondering is... Is this a bad thing, aside from the loss of time/date, will a dead PRAM battery cause any serious complications?

(Call me Mr Long Arms/Short Pockets, but $30 US for a new PRAM battery not to mention postage seems more than its worth)