PDA

View Full Version : Looking after the 17" PowerBook

glenmorrow
16th February 2005, 01:46 PM
This may seem like a strange question, but just how paranoid, careful do you have to be with the 17" PB's screen when carrying it around. I had to go into a meeting with mine the other day and so pulled it out from the bag, and put it under my arm to carry. I noticed that the screen seems to move slightly from side to side, which I'm sure is because its so wide and the lock is in the centre. Does the screen touch the keyboard when it moves? are they easy to scratch and stuff?

Glen

Disko
16th February 2005, 01:56 PM
Having owned a 17" powerbook for over 2 years now, i'd reccomend keeping the felt packaging thing that came with it. The screen touches the keys, and gets scratched by them. I've never used a protector on mine, and the scratches are only visible when the screen is off.

even a sheet of paper would solve the problem. I don't understand why apple didn't put stoppers on the corners of the screen like they did with the 12" powerbooks.

varsis
16th February 2005, 01:58 PM
well u might be able to buy some little rubber stoppers and put it on there your self... no harm in that:P

glenmorrow
16th February 2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks Disko, makes sense to me and i have been a bit worried about that movement.

Glen

adsis1
16th February 2005, 05:26 PM
damn looks like more money to be spent on my new powerbook

rice mac
16th February 2005, 07:31 PM
As mentioned by Disko, a sheet of paper between the keyboard and screen works well in preventing the screen getting marked by the keys.

I used this method without any problems on my last laptop (Tibook 800) and now with my current machine. Cheap and simple.

xiaubauu
18th February 2005, 09:57 AM
My Powerbook 17's Left CTRL button drop off in about 4 weeks after I got it in Hong Kong. By the way, Hong Kong's Mac is way cheaper than here. Problably that's the reason. Hahaha

Catacaustic
18th February 2005, 03:47 PM
For the screens on the Powerbooks (and iBooks too) Macally has got a great product which they call a "Screen Protector". Basically it's a sheet of clear plastic that sticks ot the screen and keeps the keys off the display. I've used one on my 17" Powerbook, and it works well. They are available in packs of 3 for around $15 from some places or around $20 or more from some apple stores. And, they're available for the 17", 15" and the 12" Apple notebooks.

Of course, I also supply these, so I'm a bit biased ther, but to be honest, for what these things do it's worth paying that little bit of money to try them out i fyou're worried about the screens.

:drool:

pipsqeek
20th February 2005, 12:14 PM
Then again. You could end up like me, with a faulty G3 iBook (the first one that was essentially DOA). Where there was a bow (the screen was actually bent) and touched the keys no matter what.

pipsqeek

glenmorrow
20th February 2005, 12:20 PM
Hopefully one day Apple may review this design because it wouldn't take much to include rubber stoppers or something to make it more solid.

A client brought their 17" Toshiba into work the other day, and it seemed fairly solid, though I was surprised how much bigger it is than the 17" PB. And heavier!!

Glen