PDA

View Full Version : msn for mac 6.03

SilverJ
30th September 2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, I am using the latest version of msn for mac on the latest mbp on a wireless network.
What I am wondering is why I am getting kicked off msn quite often.
perhaps every 10 or 15 minutes...
I get an error message saying that the service is no longer available...
occasionally I'll get the message that the connection has been lost to the network.
But my wireless has never dropped out, as I am still navigating through websites when it happens...:confused:
so not sure what the deal is,
do I just put it down to the official msn on mac?
or is there something else I can do?
Also, it seems to happen mostly when I it is just idle, (not in a conversation) perhaps that is a clue,
but i cannot find in the preferences anywhere about being 'away' or anything that I can change that will stop it signing out to not being used or something...

P.S anyone know when webcam support will be added, I heard its coming in the new version, but when is that...?

I don't really like Adium as much, I prefer to look of the official msn and the way it works.

Thank you :)

Wally
30th September 2007, 12:52 PM
You can change the interface in Adium.

Remember the look of the program, doesn't mean its any better :P

glenmorrow
30th September 2007, 12:55 PM
I have the same problem with MSN, same version. Not sure what it is.

mechcon
30th September 2007, 12:59 PM
the protocol is pretty shithouse, I've tried to fight with it for years.. so I then gave up and moved myself (And about 20-30 of my friends) onto googletalk. never had a problem since!

dolbinau
30th September 2007, 01:30 PM
I really want to use adium but last time I checked conference style convos were buggy (or hardly worked at all, I was using MSN)

has this been fixed?

choy
30th September 2007, 02:45 PM
Adium must be fixed because it works fine for me.

MSN for mac has always been patchy. In fact it is patchy on PCs too - my friends complain about the same dropouts. My understanding is that the client likes to drop people after inactivity. Funny part is is that the non-official clients last longer on teh connection.

Check your port forwarding as well on your router. Try and keep the recommended ports open rather than relying on UPnP. You can do a google search for the ports required.

Re: Webcam support : they have kind of got it working but apparently parent Micrsoft is syncing messenger with Windows Live Messenger and Live communications server, and they don't want to release it until they can be in sync with this integration (otherwise they would have to re-write it apparently). No dates given, but you would hope by 2008. More here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2006/09/27/774149.aspx

Wally
30th September 2007, 02:54 PM
I really want to use adium but last time I checked conference style convos were buggy (or hardly worked at all, I was using MSN)

has this been fixed?

Works fine :)

MrJesseRoss
30th September 2007, 03:12 PM
Adium always caused too many problems for me. Even after downloading the latest update, I'd be constantly fighting with it to send messages through. I just gave up and went back to Messenger. At least it only refuses to send messages every couple of days now.

Exocet
30th September 2007, 03:19 PM
Never once had an issue with Adium personally.

SilverJ
30th September 2007, 05:34 PM
thanks guys, I started using Adium again and it has been connected all afternoon and I haven't even been actively using it most of the time.
I have msn and Adium but I think I'll always use Adium.
Too bad it doesn't have webcam right?

morn
2nd October 2007, 04:36 PM
Adium has some bad memory leaks.
Also, it's missing a few fun features of the microsoft client.

Disko
2nd October 2007, 05:05 PM
Adium has some bad memory leaks.It sure does. Sometimes it even allows you to log on to the network and leak all kinds of memories with your contacts. :thumbdn:

Also, it's missing a few fun features of the microsoft client.The feature i miss the most when i switched to adium was the refined interface and densley packed app that only MS can provide us with. I also think Adium's interface isn't big enough and uses not enough brushed metal.

http://users.on.net/%7Edisko/adium_msn.jpg (http://users.on.net/%7Edisko/adium_msn1.jpg)

Disclaimer: of course, my sarcastic jab at MSN is aimed at version 5. I haven't and won't use the latest version because Adium really is leaps and bounds ahead of the official client in almost every way

morn
2nd October 2007, 05:11 PM
It may be a POS.
But it has emoticons!

something2sea
2nd October 2007, 05:15 PM
Adium can display custom emoticons, but it doesn't let you use your own (mind you… I havn't found this feature in MSN Mac either)

scottgrot
2nd October 2007, 05:22 PM
I use the jabber transfer in iChat for my MSN needs. (Not too many.)
http://www.jabber.org.au/ichat will walk you through the setup.

-- however -- I don't use MSN very often, so I don't know if jabber has all the dropouts that you guys are speaking of.

morn
2nd October 2007, 05:24 PM
Adium can display custom emoticons, but it doesn't let you use your own (mind you… I havn't found this feature in MSN Mac either)

It's in version 6 of microsoft's client actually.