PDA

View Full Version : Transfering iPhoto Books

Rasta
26th September 2007, 02:37 PM
Hey ya good peoples,

Last year I did up an iPhoto book on my iBook and got it printed. Since then I've got myself another mac and I want to transfer the book from my iBook to that (as I do all my photo stuff on the new mac and want that to be the 'mothership').

Is there any way that you can transfer the book from one mac to another?

A quick google search doesn't help alot, I found one discussion in 2002 but I would have thought there would be new features with the new iPhoto (I've got iLife '08).

I know you can print as PDF but I want to have a working book that I can play around with a bit.

Any ideas?

Muchas Gracias in advance :thumbup:

richbowen
26th September 2007, 10:02 PM
OK, the below answer is a lot longer than I thought it would be when I started writing ...

(1)

If I understand you correctly you are wanting to move all you photos from old to new mac? You should be able to just copy the contents of your Pictures folder to the new mac (in particular your iPhoto library or libraries) via FW, external drive, iPod etc.

Then hold down the Option key when you open iPhoto on your new Mac and select your newly copied iPhoto library as your default library. This will include the iPhoto book, slideshows, folders etc. It will be just like your old Mac.

(2)

If you just want the book, but not all the other photos I would still do the same thing as above and then just delete all the other photos from that library ... you would end up with a library with just the book and it's photos.

You could then add new photos to that "book" library as it would be your default library.

(3)

If your new Mac already has photos in its iPhoto library and you want to combine its contents with the library containing the Book then you could just export from one, then import into the other.

But if you have extensive use of keywords, folders etc they would be lost in an export / import process, so you may be best with a program like iPhotoLibrary Manager (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) ... the $USD20 version might be needed ... which has the ability to combine libraries and maintain keywords, folders etc

Phew, long response. Hope it helps.