PDA

View Full Version : OSX organizing confusion

joelight
14th February 2005, 03:51 PM
I am trying to ascertain info about the do's and dont's of organising ones system/disk. I and a couple of friends have this never ending argument on this issue. One sore point is whether one should have more folders in the home folder and if one can or should delete or change the names of these folders. I should mention that I am currently using Jaguar and getting ready to upgrade to Panther, I therefore want to sort out the nigglies first.

Further to this, it ought not matter if the main disk has more then one Applications Folder/(s), providing they have different names, I have one folder simply called Applications and another called Applications OS X, the difference between the two is that the former is for the smaller Apps that are either shareware and freeware whereas the OSX folder has the actual System Apps, although I noticed after my last Security Update some Apps from the OSX folder where also in the other folder, I can only imagine that Apple did this perhaps automatically. Anyway its somewhat confusing at the moment ??

Ozi
14th February 2005, 03:58 PM
hmmm.... all I can say is: use an 's' in organising not a 'z'.

We are an Australian forum after all. :P

Yeah the apple Security Update would have looked for folders in your fore-front user named "Applications" (or variants on this name) and put the Apps into one or both of your folders. Perhaps rename "Applications OS X" to something more unique like "Smallish Apps" or "Little ones" or something without "Applications" in the name.

snax
14th February 2005, 05:26 PM
You're best off not renaming or moving the default folder structure. Reason for this is that quite a few OS X apps look in these places expecting certain things to be there. E.g. Software update will probably not pick up that you have iPhoto installed if you move it out of your Applications directory.

Try working with the OS, the folders supplied are pretty useful... it's all more seamless if you put your pictures in your pictures folder. Some apps don't care, of course, but most Apple and preinstalled apps do. Renaming stuff in your home directory can lead to a bad experience.

Personally I store applications in the Applications folder on my /root directory, but there is also one in your Home folder. Obviously items in your Home directory can only be used by you.

Graham
14th February 2005, 05:28 PM
I add the small appls into the 'Utilities' folder in the 'Applications' one. Overall it's not a good idea to move or rename the standard folders.

The only exception I make is for cache files. For those in the 'Library' folder I copy them to the 'Shared' folder (in the same level as my home one) and create an alias back to the original place. This allows Retrospect to back up my entire home directory without all the cache files getting picked up.

af3556
14th February 2005, 07:39 PM
I too attempted to "clean up" my file system by splitting dividing up /Applications into various sub-directories (Network, Multimedia, etc ). But as you've found, this all gets rather messy at the first update - it appears that Apple's updates simply overwrite any old apps in their expected places and don't bother to see if you've moved them.

So now I leave all the system stuff alone, and simply create my own heirarchy of aliases in my home Applications folder.

I find it a little annoying with the multitude ways of installing programs on OS X - many apps take OS X's great "I don't need no stinkin' installer, just drag me somewhere" approach; if only all apps behaved that way... (surprising that Apple is the worst offender here! (Microsoft being next...))

joelight
16th February 2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback,although I'm still unsure whether I can add more folders in my home directory ?

As regards my own platform I'm not to concerned about other users as I am the only user.

In the home folder there is another Applications Folder I moreso use that one for the incidental mostly freeware Apps. Curious to know what Apps other users use this folder for?

From memory when I first loaded Jaguar I didn't worry too much about the organising issues its only now that I and friends are stressing out over these issues. We are not the nerdy types, like we are aware of the interesting possibilities that the os can provide like getting into Open Source Software, but we have been told by other users that its better to do that via Panther. So we have bought our copies but are stressing out probably unnecessarily over upgrading especially when our systems are working perfectly well at the moment.