PDA

View Full Version : Pitting Powerbooks

BrickTop
14th February 2005, 02:06 PM
Hi

I'm looking at buying a 15" powerbook in the next week or so and ive been reading up the apple support forums and found a thread about the powerbooks pitting after about a year of use - It's leaving me a little unsure whether apple is the way to go.

Has anyone suffered from this problem?

Also, not sure if i can afford to buy applecare right away - will i be able to buy it any time in the first year of ownership?

Cheers

OziMac
14th February 2005, 02:15 PM
Yes to your second question - you can buy AppleCare up until a year after your purchase.

But what do you mean by pitting? My 15" Powerbook is nearly a year old and I am very curious! :)

BrickTop
14th February 2005, 02:22 PM
examples of what i mean are here:

http://members.rennlist.com/nickdtm/powerbookfinish.jpg

http://saladwithsteve.com/osx/2004/10/powerbook-pitting.html

kim jong il
14th February 2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Feb 14 2005, 03:15 PM
snip

But what do you mean by pitting? My 15" Powerbook is nearly a year old and I am very curious! :)
I'm also interested......

SNIPPED and removed original reply

EDIT: You replied while I was thinking. I have yet to see this on any mac. Wear on on the silverized plastic is not unusual and I have noticed that some heavy users use a sticker to cover the parts of the Powerbook that are subject to wear. I feel it is only a cosmetic issue and probably not that widespread. If you feel that a sticker would be too ugly you could always use clear 'contact' (the transparent book covering film) to cover the affected areas and prevent any problems before they begin.

cheers

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 02:41 PM
i've only seen that on certain nokia mobile phones, but yeah, tha'd suck if it hapened to my lappy.

Ozi
14th February 2005, 03:23 PM
Never seen this, or witnessed any signs of it with my Powerbook, even with 4 or 5 hours of use a day (and a lot of that with my palms/wrist areas resting next to the trackpad as I use the keyboard to type.)

It seems to be a very rare occurence. Even if you could find 5 instances on the web of this occuring, thats still 5 out of tens of thousands of pBooks sold! I wouldn't worry about it. :)