PDA

View Full Version : Installing YDL 3.0

the_argon
26th March 2004, 09:10 AM
A couple of weeks ago I got a PM 6200/75. I thought it would be a good idea to install YDL3.0 and use it for a apache server.

The install process (from cd) goes fine until it tries to install the python rpm then freezes, there is no way to avoid it and nothing can be done except reset when this happens.

I have left the machine overnight - I thought it may just be that the 6200 is slow, but no it was still borked.

Any idea's on what the problem is? I was thinking it could be caused by corrupt data on the cd (there are no scratches.) Anyone else experienced this?

Currawong
26th March 2004, 03:10 PM
I didn't think 6200's were supported by YDL?

Byrd
26th March 2004, 07:35 PM
The 6200 doesn't appear to be supported here (http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=8)but then again it's not listed as unsupported (http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/others.shtml) either! Hmm :)

If you're really keen the_argon, consider picking up a 6400/6500 mobo as a straight swap into the machine.

JB

rockinrobstar
26th March 2004, 07:45 PM
I just recently put YDL 3 onto a 6360 and had the same problem where the default install would try and install some package (don't remember what it was) but couldn't find it on the CD and it got stuck in some sort of an infinite loop. (push alt-F1 to see whats happening).

I got around it by installing minimal packages and then just adding packages from the CD although im not to sure about how to use rpm - i normally use debian - how do i see what packages are installed ? how do i strip all the excess junk I don't need - i basically want to run mine as a dumb X-terminal but it only has a 1 Gb drive so I am having trouble fitting everything in (i was trying to install KDE but it doesn't fit - just to see how well X runs with KDE).

the_argon
27th March 2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I am at my parent's house in the country so I wont really have a chance to try again until next week sometime. But I do have more RAM here and some other stuff I am going to take back to town with me (I also have a 6360 here.)

I might even try a basic network install and see if that will work.

I am not too up with RPM either, I am not sure how to list all the installed packages. But it would probably say somewhere in the manpages.

And yes, YDL is compatible with NuBus PowerMac's you just need to get the right kernel's (If it wasn't compatible it wouldn't even boot or run the installer.)

Currawong
27th March 2004, 05:10 PM
My tip: find a 7300 or 7600 or better - they can be had for sod-all and run YDL beautifully.