PDA

View Full Version : iBook Replacement



Jaffa
13th February 2005, 07:27 PM
This is my letter to the office of fair trading, it is basically self explanitory: :blink:

Note: Names are witheld for security reasons...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To The Manager,
Office of Fair Trading,

I am writing this letter to complain about unfair treatment of my son Jeffrey (14 yrs old) and myself from Apple Computer Australia (ph: 133622), which was very upsetting and is extremely inconvenient since the matter is not resolved.
I purchased an iBook from AppleCentre ^^^^^^^^^ on the 20/6/03, and extending the warranty to three years in June last year (2004). Many things were going wrong with this computer:
1. The Power Adaptor broke (replaced)
2. The Hard Disk broke (part replaced)
3. The Airport (802.11b Wi-Fi) Antenna and the Screen Cable broke (part replaced)
4. The Sleep Light broke
5. The Hard Disk broke (again)
All of these faults happened in a relatively short period of time (approximately within 6 months). After the sleep light broke, Jeffrey rang the local AppleCentre enquiring if there is a possibility of exchanging this unit for a new one. The AppleCentre told Jeffrey that they cannot make such decisions and he needs to contact Apple Australia. Jeffrey then contacted Apple Australia (late December) and spoke to ******** who said that if another hardware part breaks down again within 6 months, it would be replaced with a new machine. Shortly after, the Computer broke down in the same way as it did when previously the Hard Disk broke down. After testing the Computer with the TechTool Deluxe CD, Jeffrey suspected that the hard disk had broken down again, as the results showed.
Jeffrey then rang Apple Australia, and spoke to ******** again and was told to take the computer to the local AppleCenter for testing (early January). For a while, there was no response from Apple Australia, so Jeffrey rang Apple Australia again, speaking to ********, and asking him how the case is going. ******** told Jeffrey that they still needed to receive some more information from the local AppleCentre. Jeffrey then also enquired if he could get a more expensive model and pay the difference. ******** told Jeffrey that he will see what he can do. ******** told Jeffrey (the same day) that he will get the replacement machine fitted with more memory because he has been waiting for so long. We didn’t hear anything from them for a couple of weeks.
Jeffrey then rang Apple Australia (7/2/05) to see how the case was going. ******** was not there at that time, so the person that he talked to left a note on his desk instructing ******** to ring or email Jeffrey the next day. No email or phone call was received (8/2/05). The day after that (9/2/05), I receive a phone call from the local AppleCentre saying that Jeffrey’s computer is ready to be picked up. I was very surprised that it was fixed without our consent while we were waiting for Apple Australia to decide on what kind of replacement Jeffrey will receive. After speaking to ##### from the local AppleCentre, I found out that the hard drive was replaced, and when I pointed out that we were waiting for a replacement, I was told that the computer would be replaced the next time it breaks. I did not pick up the computer as I felt that we were mislead greatly.
Jeffrey contacted Apple Australia that afternoon and spoke to ******** again. This conversation was very confusing, and when ******** was reading Jeffrey a list of the things that went wrong with the computer, he mentioned the replacement of a Heat Sink in the computer, which never happened. After Jeffrey informed ******** that that did not happen, ******** was then still insisting that it did happen. Also, ******** wouldn’t accept the fact that the hard disk drive had broken before, and even after Jeffrey’s reinsuring him several times that he has the receipt of when it was fixed the first time, ******** did not wish to acknowledge it. ******** informed Jeffrey that the Senior Technician rejected the claim, and was giving Jeffrey the impression that there was nothing he can do about it, causing great distress for us.
I then contacted Apple Australia myself and spoke to @@@@@, (different to ********), to whom I stated my dissatisfaction with the treatment that was given to my son and causing him great disappointment. After a while, @@@@@ informed me that he wasn’t the person that was speaking to Jeffrey and he will go and speak to******** and find out what is going on. I asked to speak to ******** personally, but was told that he was on another call and I could not speak to him. @@@@@ informed me that there is no record of the promises that were given to Jeffrey, and that #####, from the local AppleCentre had no rights to state that the next time that the computer breaks, then it will be replaced.
I find it very hard to believe that there is no documentation of the conversation that ******** had with Jeffrey, and that after so many promises; they are behaving like there was no communication between ******** and Jeffrey. The fact that the computer was fixed without our consent proves to us ignorance from Apple Australia and total disrespect to their customers. It also adds to the confusion of the whole matter.
Before I finished speaking to @@@@@, I asked him to put me on to the manager of Apple Australia, and he said that she was not available. I asked him repetitively to give me the full name of the manager and he was extremely uncooperative giving me the first name and only the initial of her surname, claiming that there is only one &&&&& in the office. He was willing to give me her email address <*****@apple.com.au> suggesting that if I send her an email she will ring me. I asked him for his full name, he refused, giving me only the initial for his surname. When I asked for the surnames, @@@@@ was saying “NO” in a very insisting and rather rude manner. He also would not let me talk to the senior technician.
We fully trusted, what we believed, was a reputable company and fully believed that what they said, they would be obligated to honour. We did not suspect that there was a need to have it in writing. We feel very much let down, disappointed, and disrespected.
I would like this matter to be resolved as soon as possible since Jeffrey needs the computer for school and other various voluntary activities.

Yours Sincerely,

(MY MUM)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, the computer was an iBook G3, 800MHz, 604MB RAM, 30GB HD

Click on this link to hear the sound that my hard diks was making: http://au.geocities.com/jeffrey_rutkowski/

This must be a faulty iBook. What do you think? (by the way, i havn&#39;t got a new computer as I am awaiting for a response from the office of fair trading, the letter was given to them on 11/2/05)

darknight84
13th February 2005, 07:55 PM
This sounds familiar....

soul assasin
13th February 2005, 08:10 PM
Hey Jaffa

Sorry to hear more trouble from Apple Australia

Have you read Pipsqueek&#39;s iBook saga?

Similar to yours.

Jaffa
13th February 2005, 08:14 PM
yes, i have read most of it... i have printed it so i can read through it again (it&#39;s 50 pages long&#33;&#33;&#33;)

by the way, i am jeffrey and i am 14... but please, call me jaffa...

I have nothing against my local applecentre, but i think that apple australia&#39;s service is quite poor...

jaffa

aswitcher
13th February 2005, 08:53 PM
Ah, another Apple Australia crap service and poor communication saga involving a reseller...

You have to hope its only incompetence and not deliberate butt covering through lies by Apple Australia staff...which it sort of sounds like.

I can&#39;t believe they wouldn&#39;t give you the managers name. Thats rediculous. Obviously their training lacks somewhat...

Exocet
14th February 2005, 02:47 AM
I think that it is fair enough that they cannot give the last name. I work in customer service and I don&#39;t feel comfortable giving my full name, however I would be more than happy to give my employee ID which would do exactly the same thing if they were willing to complain about me.

However, I think that it would be only fair to get the manager to call you, or have you be told when a convenient time would be to ring.

</diplomat>

Jaffa
14th February 2005, 06:17 AM
we were told three times that the manager is not availiable, BUT, they only told us that after we told them our last name. It sounds like they do not want to get the manager involved as they do not want to get into trouble from the manager...

Now come on, everybody knows that the ceo of Apple is Steve Jobs, so why dont they give us the manager of apple australia. If everything was a secret, how could we live? :ph34r:

Anyway, I am still awaiting a reply from the office of fair trading, but i will keep you posted...

JAFFA

tibook
14th February 2005, 07:13 AM
Hey there,
Can I just add a positive spin here..
Apple customer relations has replaced 2 of my computers with new models after they went in to service TOOOOO many times.

All my Macs all have Applecare 3 yrs though, don&#39;t know if this is a factor??

#1 - Powerbook Wallstreet - After 6 motherboards in 9 months they replaced with TiBook

#2 - iMac G4 Superdrive - 2x Dead HD , Faulty screen, faulty DVD-r - replaced with iMac G5

After discussions with CR and faxing ALL the paperwork (12 pages for iMac) from service providers, they were very polite and attentive, and offered the replacement macs with very little waiting.
Perhaps maintaing a good paper-trail and logging all phone conversations, getting all offers (verbal) affirmed in email has kept this process painless.

I can only say good things about the team @ apple.

hawker
14th February 2005, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear the problems you are having. Start talking to Managers, when on the phone just say "look, no disrespect, this has gone on to long, please put me through to a manager."

Jaffa
14th February 2005, 09:11 AM
hawker, they wont let me talk to the manager. either the manager does not want to speak to me or the employees do not want to get into trouble for making promises that they did not keep... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

geektechnu
14th February 2005, 11:10 AM
I still can&#39;t believe that Apple can say "we gave you paper work, but we can&#39;t find ours - therefore your paperwork means nothing". That just makes me sick. :angry:
It&#39;s just a shame that Apple is a huge megacorp that puts you through customer service whenever there&#39;s trouble.

My main machine will always be a PC I build myself - if it breaks, I only have myself to blame. I&#39;ve never had anything fail until years after the warranty had already expired. Once I knocked a capacitor off my motherboard and had to resolder it myself... (it all worked out ok - I&#39;ve been using it for over 12 months without a problem&#33;).

Jaffa, we hear your pain - and we cry with you. :(

IDEA: Maybe you could try writing to APC magazine and getting them on your side. They have a regular "watchdog" section that helps people with these sorts of problems. email: watchdog@apcmag.com

hawker
14th February 2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by jaffa@Feb 14 2005, 09:11 AM
hawker, they wont let me talk to the manager. either the manager does not want to speak to me or the employees do not want to get into trouble for making promises that they did not keep...
Edit: In Regards to Currawongs reply below, I apoligies to the person invovled and have done so in a formal e-mail, and I will not hand this e-mail out again.

Jaffa
14th February 2005, 07:10 PM
thanks for the email address hawker, i will send the email as soon as possible...

i was also thinking of sending an email to apple hq in america. who should i send the email to?

i also just finished reading pipsqeeks saga... very similar to mine, apple&#39;s service is &*%#&#036;@&#33;&#33;&#33;


jaffa :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Jaffa
15th February 2005, 05:16 PM
hawker, I have send you a PM...

jaffa

Currawong
16th February 2005, 09:42 AM
Note also that if we are requested to provide information to Apple regarding this, or any similar matter, we will provide it without hesitation.

iSlayer
16th February 2005, 09:55 AM
i knew this thread was a bad idea.
along with the other thread about apple&#39;s customer service

why do people insist on acting like this.
companies dont want to give out new products if they can fix the problem.
if i had a hd die or a logic board fail i wouldnt expect a new system
i would expect a new part.read your warrenty guys

what happends when something go&#39;s wrong with a new car.
they fix it.they dont give you a new car.
why should this be any different

gizo
16th February 2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Feb 16 2005, 09:55 AM
i knew this thread was a bad idea.
along with the other thread about apple&#39;s customer service

why do people insist on acting like this.
companies dont want to give out new products if they can fix the problem.
if i had a hd die or a logic board fail i wouldnt expect a new system
i would expect a new part.read your warrenty guys

what happends when something go&#39;s wrong with a new car.
they fix it.they dont give you a new car.
why should this be any different
slayer, i agree that this topic is probably not a good idea.
however.

jaffa seems to have had numerous problem with the iBook, and I believe the Apple warranty indicates a replacement unit is in order. It is a terrile shame that there has been a problem here for Jaffa, and likewise for Pipsqeek, with missing paperwork and unwillingness to assist, et-cetera.

On the other hand, people like Squozen got a fine and proper service from Apple, on the third failure, they replaced the machine, no worries.

The only question I can see fit to ask is: where did you purchase the machine, and where did go to get it fixed? I am wondering if there is a discrepency between how different resellers and Apple Australia manage their paperwork/papertrails?

Or maybe I am wasting everyone&#39;s time.

iSlayer
16th February 2005, 10:11 AM
there is no offical statement that says "after ** repairs we will replace the item"

if apple choose to replace an item it is done case by case.

Jaffa&#39;s problems have all been easily fixable and he shouldnt expect a replacement for things like that.

just look at the logic board program.
if you have a problem they replace it they dont give you a new system,(especially when the system is 3 years old to start with)

hawker
16th February 2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by gringo@Feb 16 2005, 10:08 AM
The only question I can see fit to ask is: where did you purchase the machine, and where did go to get it fixed? I am wondering if there is a discrepency between how different resellers and Apple Australia manage their paperwork/papertrails?
The warranty falls back on Apple, it is their product. Although to get a refund or a new machine, they might need to see the reseller. But the silly thing is, the reseller have to speak to Apple, so why not cut out the middle man? So to speak.

I disagree with islayer, freedom of speech&#33; However, with the AppleTalk name we have to play the AppleTalk game :P

I apoligies to the administration of AppleTalk for any problems caused by my earlier replies.

Squozen
16th February 2005, 10:51 AM
It is painful though to read of others (like Pipsqeek and myself) that get replacement machines after similar runs of problems. I had a good Apple experience, but I had the reseller (Desktop Power in Ivanhoe) batting for me as well, which probably helped.

Disko
16th February 2005, 11:03 AM
I&#39;d like to make it clear that anyone is welcome to discuss issues they&#39;re having - don&#39;t restrict yourself on our account.

All that happened here was someone&#39;s email address got made public, and they didn&#39;t like it. What AppleTalk asks of it&#39;s users now is to respect other&#39;s privacy by not posting contact details in the forums. :)

markh
16th February 2005, 11:06 AM
I&#39;m gonna side with iSlayer here. I think the ppl that have gotten replacement iBooks (G3) have been extremely lucky to do so.. Sounds harsh doesnt it, but really all they have to do is fix/replace parts. Even more so lucky if they&#39;ll fix stuff out of warranty

Chr1s
16th February 2005, 11:07 AM
I agree: I don&#39;t see a problem making general comments about the service you recieved from a company, so long as no private information is shared without their prior consent.
How else can we convince people what&#39;s best for them, if not to share our similar experiences? :)

Edit: And I don&#39;t think just because of this one incident, everyone should turn around and say "well you shouldn&#39;t expect a replacement anyway". People were quite willing to support Jaffa beforehand.

purana
16th February 2005, 12:22 PM
Lets just agree.. Apple Australia online store and associated support people are troublesome.

I had the pleasure of waiting 3 weeks for a resolution to my broken bluetooth mouse which lasted only 2 weeks of use from new.

The people I spoke with were always promising to call back, but on all the times they promised to call me back that day I only ever got called back once out of 6 or more times they said they would.

Not only that, I was informed of the wrong information. They tell me they tracked down my faulty one and were going to refund my funds. 1 week later it still hadn&#39;t been done. Apparently the person who said they were doing actually didn&#39;t do it, and further more they lied about having my sent in mouse. It turns out they didn&#39;t at the time of the conversation and thus no refund some days later.

Seriously its not acceptable. When I asked for someone more senior I was informed they were away and couldn&#39;t approve a refund until they returned. What sort of company has no backup procedure. Surely they have someone covering.

When I finally got it sorted and spoke to someone more senior, they called me back when they said they would. They even refunded the funds when they said they would. They did everything correctly. The way it should of been done. Further more I expressed to them the total lack of profressionalism from the staff involved. What sort of person makes a commitment to customer and then not follow it up. If I did that in my job I would be warned and then sacked. They said they would follow it up. I also said, who on earth tells the customer oh sorry blah is not in and thus we can&#39;t do anything today. They said this shouldn&#39;t have happened as they too have people who can do various things when someone is away. not sure if anything got fixed out of this, but the people involved with it were seriously bad. I hope they got a kicking from management.

As to this thread. I believe it was warranted for discussion. The saga sounds very similar to others. The bits I can relate too is the constantly back pedaling by staff members and no follow through on promises to do something. I hope the poster finally gets something sorted and the staff people associated with it get a kicking up the butt.

Jaffa
16th February 2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Chr1s@Feb 16 2005, 12:07 PM
And I don&#39;t think just because of this one incident, everyone should turn around and say "well you shouldn&#39;t expect a replacement anyway". People were quite willing to support Jaffa beforehand.
I am very shocked at you guys. First "Yeah, its only reasonable that you get a replacement", then "well, jaffa shouldn&#39;t expect a replacement anyway". I cant believe it...

Jaffa

Currawong
17th February 2005, 09:14 AM
iSlayer, regarding your comment on the age of the iBook, jaffa&#39;s machine is UNDER WARRANTY. Second, issues with regard to machines repeatedly failing might, IMO, fall under "not fit for purpose". If I bought a machine brand new, and things were breaking left right and centre every couple of months, I&#39;d do exactly what jaffa did, though I&#39;d only be going to the reseller and insisting on a refund as the machine is "not fit for purpose".

Whether or not Apple made a dud machine is beside the point. The reseller, after giving a refund, can negotiate with Apple as to what to do with the machine.

Chr1s
17th February 2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by jaffa@Feb 16 2005, 06:38 PM
I am very shocked at you guys. First "Yeah, its only reasonable that you get a replacement", then "well, jaffa shouldn&#39;t expect a replacement anyway". I cant believe it...

Jaffa, that was exactly the point I was trying to make.

chocho
17th February 2005, 12:00 PM
After several computer boards in my friend&#39;s Barina "failed" to alter the problem with the vehicle starting, Holden gave her a brand NEW one&#33;
I would expect thesame from Apple, and any other reputable company out there.
When you buy a product you expect it to serve you well, but when an issue reocurres several times over and over again, you start to lose faith and trust in it&#39;s ability to perform and cannot help but think it&#39;s a "LEMON". A replacement will hopefully mend physical and psychological issues, with let&#39;s hope hassle free operation for the consumer&#33;

chris
17th February 2005, 12:26 PM
I am with Jaffa on this - Apple promised him a new one, so he should get a new one.

Regards,

Chris

purana
17th February 2005, 12:41 PM
If that machine was mine I would now be asking for a refund, as personally you don&#39;t expect to buy something new and have that many faults in as many months..

Jaffa
17th February 2005, 04:19 PM
This is the email that i have sent apple:

----------------------------------------------------

To ###### ######,

The problem is that I was already promised this before
the hard disk broke: "If your computer breaks again
within the next 6 monts, we will replace your
computer." As I said before, this happened BEFORE the
hard disk broke the 2nd time... I have not picked up
my iBook as I feel that this is just mistreatment of
customers. Saying that is something breaks, it will be
replaced, then, it is repared, and the same promise is
given again. My family has always been buying Apple
Computer because we believed that their service and
reliability was at a very high satndard, but we were
treated MUCH below standard.

You wrote: "Apple will happily replace a computer that
continually fails." Have you not read how many times
my computer has failed me. Just look at that list that
is in the letter. If you will be happy to replace my
computer, then why am I having trouble now because you
WONT replace it&#33;&#33;&#33;

You also wrote: "and if the iBook fails again from now
on, Apple will replace the iBook for you with a like
for like computer." I was told that if it breaks again
(this was before the hard disk broke the 2nd time)
then it will be replaced with a NEW machine. NOTE THAT
IT SAID NEW&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Not "like for
like"&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

What Kind of buisiness are you people running is this
is the treatment that I am getting, being promised to
get a new machine, waiting for 6 weeks, then being
notified that my computer was repaired WITHOUT MY
CONSENT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;. Then I ring you and say the the request
was rejected. I WAS PROMISED A NEW COMPUTER AND THAT
IS THAT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

JEFFREY RUTKOWSKI

--- apple customer care <^&%^^@apple.com.au> wrote:
> Dear Jeffrey,
>
> Thank you for your email and attached letter. We
> apologise for any
> misunderstandings or miscommunication that has
> occurred in this
> instance.
>
> I have read the notes in relation to your iBook
> history, and what
> ********** has acknowledged, was that if the iBook
> failed again then
> Apple would happily replace the iBook. The terms
> and conditions of the
> Apple warranty do state that it is a repairable
> warranty and not a
> replacement one, however we do take each case on an
> individual basis
> and from time to time, Apple will happily replace a
> computer that
> continually fails.
>
> Apple would not have been in a position to replace
> the iBook when you
> spoke to Christopher and that is why he has advised
> to have the iBook
> repaired again (which was carried out by AppleCentre
> Newcastle in
> February this year) and if the iBook fails again
> from now on, Apple
> will replace the iBook for you with a like for like
> computer.
>
> Please note that the serial number you have listed
> for your iBook is
> incorrect. The correct serial number is
> ###########.
>
> If you have any further hardware faults with your
> iBook, please do not
> hesitate to contact Apple and quote your case
> number.
>
> Regards,
>
> ####### #######
> Apple Customer Relations
> On 16/02/2005, at 7:47 PM, Jeffrey Rutkowski wrote:
>
> ----- reply from &&^&%^@apple.com.au-----------
> > To&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036; &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;,
> >
> > I purchased an G3 iBook on the 20/6/03 and am not
> > happy with the performance that the computer has
> given
> > me. I have attached the letter (as a pdf file)
> that I
> > have given to the Office of Fair Trading in
> Australia
> > (NSW). If you need to contact me or my
> mum
> > , my home number is ##########, and my
> mobile
> > is ##########, or at my email
> > <###########@yahoo.com.au>. Please note that
> I
> > may not be availiable dusing school hours, and my
> mum
> > may not be availiable during buisiness hours.
> (School
> > for me finishes at 3pm.)
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Jeffrey Rutkowski
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo&#33;
> Movies.
> > http://au.movies.yahoo.com<iBook.pdf>
>
************************************************** ********************
> *** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ***
>
> This correspondence is for the named person&#39;s use
> only. It may contain
> confidential or legally privileged information or
> both. No
> confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by
> any mistransmission.
> If you receive this correspondence in error, please
> immediately delete
> it from your system and notify the sender. You must
> not disclose, copy
> or rely on any part of this correspondence if you
> are not the intended
> recipient.
>
> Any opinions expressed in this message are those of
> the individual
> sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
> authority, states
> them to be the opinions of Apple Computer Australia
> Pty Ltd.
>
> Neither the sender nor Apple Computer Australia
> warrants that any
> communication via the Internet is free of errors,
> viruses, interception
> or interference. Information is distributed without
> warranties of any
> kind.
>
************************************************** ********************

Jaffa
17th February 2005, 04:40 PM
I would also like to add one thing:

The person from apple worote:

--------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for your email and attached letter. We
> apologise for any
> misunderstandings or miscommunication that has
> occurred in this
> instance.
--------------------------------------------------

They may be sorry for any miscomunications thaty have happened, but the fact is that they happened. As to the misunderstandings, I perfectly understood what they were saying, so if they said something different to what thew wrote down, is it my problem? NO, WHY SOULD THAT INVOLVE ME&#33; The fact that they wrote down a totally different trhing to what they were saying adds to the problem of the whole situation... THUS JUST SUX&#33;&#33;&#33; AND I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE A SMOOTHE RIDE, BOY WAS I WRONG&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

JAFFA

PS: you all know that my computer is still in the shop
PSS: you all know that it has been 7 weeks without my ibook as well&#33;&#33;&#33;

birdsong
9th March 2005, 07:55 AM
Hi jaffa,
I sympathise with your problem I too have been dealing with apple re faulty imac. Been going now two years to date 3 logic boards , inverter assembly,hard drive etc etc. Promised replacement last September when I called January said not been ordered. Always conflicting stories, the person I spoke to and promised replacement has left or was a temp etc. Went to consumer affairs but didnt solve issue. Can never contact anyone calls not returned, person not at there desk right now......the story goes on and on. Cannot believe the business ethics of apple customer relations dept. Now having to go to Dept Fair Trading Tribunal to get refund. I purchased this computer to set up computer business selling product that I purchased and imported to sell on internet. My business has not been able to develope as computer unreliable I am still stuck with all the stock. I once read a complaint on here from a man saying he has the worlds largest paper weight and I know what he means. I feel like getting all the people that are being stuffed around by apple together to form an action group and even going to &#39;this day tonight&#39; I feel this is the only thing they will understand. I have never dealt with a company with such disregard for their customers.

billybob
10th March 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Feb 16 2005, 10:11 AM
there is no offical statement that says "after ** repairs we will replace the item"

if apple choose to replace an item it is done case by case.

Jaffa&#39;s problems have all been easily fixable and he shouldnt expect a replacement for things like that.

just look at the logic board program.
if you have a problem they replace it they dont give you a new system,(especially when the system is 3 years old to start with)
The trade practices act states that it is the consumers choice in opting for a repair or replacement. No policy of Apples or a resellers can override that. For Apple to refuse to replace the machine when the consumer asks is illegal.

I have butted heads with Apple over this in the past and all it takes is a complaint with Consumer Affairs. A call to Apple public relations and Consumer Affairs is all it took to get action. Apple was back on the phone to me within an hour of receiving a call from Consumer Affairs offering me a replacement.

There are some caveats on the circumstances in which this law applies but the benefit generally always lies with the consumer.

Don&#39;t let Apple (or any other company) bully you into accepting repairs when you want them to replace faulty goods. The more consumers accept this kind of behaviour the more companies will try to get away with it. This is bad for consumers as a whole. If you are in this kind of situation stand up for your rights and dont let the ig guys push you around. (Because there are even biggers guys willing to push back on your behalf&#33;)

Chr1s
10th March 2005, 01:11 PM
That sucks Jaffa. :(

It seems hyprocritcal that Apple said in their last letter "we&#39;ll replace it if it breaks again", when they&#39;ve already said that and reneged.

I can&#39;t believe Apple haven&#39;t made any effort to improve their Customer Relations, when problems like this are so frequent.

pipsqeek
10th March 2005, 02:13 PM
I am not surpirsed at all.

Eventually my plan with my iBook was to just keep letting it break. I was under the impression that someone at Apple might noticed that one iBook has had over &#036;10K worth of work done to it in a short period of 12 months.

But alas, someones thinking cap must have had a fresh battery pack.

Anyway. Just thought I&#39;d drop a line and say, I&#39;ve not commented on your thread, but I have been following it very closely.

pipsqeek (AAA member #1 - Against Apple Australia)

applecollector
10th March 2005, 02:29 PM
This sort of thing has ahppened to me as well ,When i bought my eMac 1.25Ghz Computer stock, the STUPID Seller would tell me the shop was closing and the Department where they have the computers closes half an hour earlier.
I was thinking for about an hour because i didn&#39;t know wnat to buy an iMac or eMac, So when i went up to the Seller she said well up can&#39;t get your mac today come back some other time, So the my mum stepped in a yelled her lungs out at the seller this is what she said "Now listen her you should have told us when the computer department was closing, I want your manager" Then she said "Well the manager went home" The reason i couldn&#39;t get my eMac was because she said that their is know one down in the computer department.
Then my mum said again "STILL YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD US&#33;"
Then she started to say "BUT STILL DON&#39;T YOU UNDERSTAND I CAN&#39;T GET YOUR COMPUTER&#33;"
Well thats was it i had school then next day and i wanted my MAC, so i said
"OK either you get me my mac or were going to take our business else where,and my mum&#39;s right you should have told us the shop was closing"
Then she ran to the phone and called the computer department and luckly come one picked up&#33; So i got my mac&#33; But she was RUDE, UNHELPFUL, and plain STUPID&#33;
But anyway i should say this was at apple centre broadway sydney australia&#33;
so what do you think about my story?

diomedes
10th March 2005, 03:55 PM
The trade practises act covers these types of situations, and it&#39;s generally known int eh industry as the "lemon" clause.

Most companies in the IT industry will replace an item rather then fix it if the item has failed 3 times in one year. The reason why? Because it&#39;s cheaper&#33; Labour and freight on numerious repairs are often more costly then the cost of the part.

The logic board fault on g3 ibooks is a good example every single one I&#39;ve had die 3 times got replaced, and without an argument.

As for the apple employee having a whinge about their email address being posted, boo hoo, it&#39;s on their business card so it&#39;s hardly private. I doubt they have a case under the privacy or spam legislation. They just appear to want to duck from the problem.

Also not giving out the managers last name? It can be found in the annual share holders report. Not to mention they know everything about you, you are more then in your rights to know who they are.. People that hide who they are, just want a way to duck and lie about their actions. Telstra are a good example.

If you&#39;ve honestly had that many issues, I&#39;d expect it to be replaced as well.

danno74
26th June 2005, 07:46 PM
I&#39;m with Jaffa on this one too - iSlayer, I&#39;m not sure if you&#39;ve been through the disheartening drama that is, having Apple Australia give you the run-around for weeks, or indeed, months on end, but it cost you a lot more than just having the part replaced. There are phone calls (sometimes dozens), you have to drive around picking up your machine, dropping it off, etc - not to mention the time you have to take out of your day, when you have better things to do.

The fact is, Apple shouldn&#39;t be selling machines that have faulty parts, like the iBook and iMac G5 logic board issues. They should be quality-tested first... and to liken it to a car - a hard drive going in your powerbook is like the engine failing in your car. How often does that happen when you buy a new car - I&#39;ve never heard of such a thing. But when it comes to computers, for some reason, companies seem to think they can get away with selling a machine worth around a couple of thousand dollars with a major faulty component. There should be quality control procedures in place to discourage the third party suppliers of these parts to supply Apple with these crappy components.

In my business (graphic design), we have to take responsibility for anything that goes wrong with a print job - if there&#39;s an error in the body copy, for instance, we can&#39;t just go blaming the printer - it&#39;s not the printer&#39;s fault. If we didn&#39;t set the file up properly, that&#39;s our mistake - and we take responsibility for it. We have checking procedures in place to ensure this doesn&#39;t happen, but sometimes things slip through the cracks - it&#39;s basically human error, and that&#39;s fine - you can&#39;t be perfect, but you also take RESPONSIBILITY for your mistakes and apologise to the client, reimbursing them for any inconvenience it&#39;s caused them.

I don&#39;t see Apple, or any other big company for that matter, taking responsibility for the inconveniences it causes it&#39;s customers - like Pipsqueak&#39;s story - poor bugger was running around everywhere - probably spent hundreds of dollars in fuel, phone calls and loss of business dealing with a faulty machine and bad service that was anything but his fault.

My position is: why should the customer have to pay for something that wasn&#39;t their fault? Why should we have to pay for the incompitence of companies like Apple? Why can&#39;t they take responsibility for their lack of implementation of quality-control procedures and reimburse the customer for the inconveniences? They won&#39;t even apologise, which is, I think, all that most of us are after - "we apologise for this inconvenience and would like to thank you for your valued patronage" - instead, we just get sour voices and stupid Indian call centres.

This is "Running a Business 101" - you must understand these principles if you ever wish to run a business - it is the very foundation on which western business has been built upon. For some reason, it&#39;s taken a nose-dive in recent years.

How very, very unfortunate.