PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] latest leopard build & release date

internet
23rd September 2007, 09:06 PM
the latest leopard build has caused quite a stir..
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/22/latest-leopard-visual-tweaks-and-intro-movie/
anyone here running it and care to comment?? show some screenshots??

stevekicks
23rd September 2007, 09:10 PM
yeah look at the link you provided - theres screen shots in there. i reckon its looking awesome and is getting close to the final.

Al Aero
23rd September 2007, 09:19 PM
"cough" Gold Master "cough"

Huy
23rd September 2007, 09:28 PM
Could be... but I doubt it, with the two known (major) listed bugs. Give it another week to go GM?

MrJesseRoss
23rd September 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm getting 'bandwidth exceeded' notices on those images. Except for the desktop images. Which are awesome.

iSlayer
23rd September 2007, 09:38 PM
It wouldn't be a GM but i reckon it's very very close. Im expecting the GM to show up on the adc site this week sometime.

rickyd
23rd September 2007, 09:38 PM
Developers will remind Apple of a few lurking bugs, I'm sure :p

warren21
24th September 2007, 05:30 PM
So we're nearing October. Any thoughts as to what the likely release date of Leopard will be? I so can't wait for it.

iSlayer
24th September 2007, 05:32 PM
26th of October has always been my guess

iSlave
24th September 2007, 05:36 PM
What exactly does it do that really matters? I say that after installing iLife 08 and realising I just paid 100 bucks for what should have been a free update. Value add = 0

Phase
24th September 2007, 05:45 PM
32nd of October. 11:59pm

Yes.

jerrah
24th September 2007, 05:57 PM
for what should have been a free update.What were you expecting it to do with the new version? Software is always revisional and rarely reinvents the wheel.

I have never bought iLife that didn't come with a computer. I like some of the new things in iPhoto but I'll wait for my next mac.

tintinaujapon
24th September 2007, 06:06 PM
iLife 08 is worth the price for the updated iPhoto alone in my book.

jeremy_warnock
24th September 2007, 06:12 PM
Leopard will be released 31st October

Dante Kyar
24th September 2007, 06:14 PM
iLife 08 is worth the price for the updated iPhoto alone in my book.

i would have to agree with this, i love iphoto even more now.

meinrosebud
24th September 2007, 06:30 PM

Yes.

Sure enough! 1st November 2007

Atomac
24th September 2007, 06:32 PM
I think Leopard will be released on the 24th of October.

iSlave
24th September 2007, 06:40 PM
What were you expecting it to do with the new version? Software is always revisional and rarely reinvents the wheel.

I have never bought iLife that didn't come with a computer. I like some of the new things in iPhoto but I'll wait for my next mac.

I was expecting iMovie to be *UPDATED only to find it had been re-invented and downgraded.

Apple appear to be carefully structuring products to promote up sell and nothing else.

If they think I'm buying Final Cut Express then they're sadly mistaken. Yo ho fu*ken ho!

mechcon
24th September 2007, 07:08 PM

Yes.

at least 32nd october :D

rpjallan
24th September 2007, 07:45 PM
at least 32nd october :D

Yeah... I think they're behind schedule. We won't see it 'till sometime in November...

Shintaro
24th September 2007, 10:15 PM
I love that tune.
Even better than the version from the iMac add.

Anyone know where it's from?

Nevermind, got it.

Artist: Honeycut
Album: The day I turned to glass.
Song: Honey Exodus.

Phase
24th September 2007, 10:51 PM
[Steve Jobs] Good Morning, I'm so glad you call all be here.

I have some great news for you all. This year has been really exciting for us here at Apple. With the launch of the iPhone, we've revolutionized the mobile phone industry. [Applause] But we're not done yet.

Today, It's my pleasure to announce the change of time. [Applause] We've had a lot of really talented people working on this for months, and we're really excited about it.

So now, I'd like to give you a demo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Pistolpd/Septembercopy.jpg

Only in Leopard.

Coming this Octoberish

mechcon
24th September 2007, 11:01 PM
That is a very well done icon :)

decryption
24th September 2007, 11:21 PM
Apple appear to be carefully structuring products to promote up sell and nothing else.

Umm, a beginner and an advanced product is hardly anything new. It's the best way to approach it. Give people a taste of video editing with something fast and easy - then give them the professional level tool for when they want to get serious.

Why did you buy iLife '08 if it was such a waste of money? There's screenshots, features and videos galore on the Apple website :p

Brains
24th September 2007, 11:31 PM
Word from my contact inside One Infinite is that Oct 12 is Final Candidate Day -- bugs or not, that's the day 10.5 gets locked down and the master image sent off for duplication. As soon as the master is safely received, His Steveness will quietly announce that copies of 10.5 will be in stores on Oct 26th. Resellers should receive their initial stock and merchandising kits (posters, etc) by the 24th and there'll be plenty of copies to go around.

B.

iSlave
24th September 2007, 11:38 PM
Umm, a beginner and an advanced product is hardly anything new. It's the best way to approach it. Give people a taste of video editing with something fast and easy - then give them the professional level tool for when they want to get serious.

Why did you buy iLife '08 if it was such a waste of money? There's screenshots, features and videos galore on the Apple website :p

beginner and advanced?

Apple movies are designed to sell D. Not educate.

Ever bought a product and been disappointed about what they didn't tell you?

gmask1
24th September 2007, 11:57 PM
beginner and advanced?

Apple movies are designed to sell D. Not educate.

Ever bought a product and been disappointed about what they didn't tell you?

I'm curious what you expected for $25. iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb, Garageband... yup, $25. So what do you expect for the $25 portion of iLife that comprises iMovie?

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, if you're only paying 25 bucks for a movie editing app, you pretty much get exactly what you've been given. If you didn't check out the tutes on the Apple site, read the maketing materials, etc etc, then I don't think sympathy is the one thing you'll be receiving.

Disclaimer: I'm totally ignoring the fact that you get to keep iMovie '06, or d/l it for free...

Edit: I was referring to the family pack, so your actually getting a $20 movie editor, not a $25 one. I think you're doing pretty darn well for $20.

Atomac
25th September 2007, 12:02 AM

I was wondering the same thing but I have a habit of stirring people up so I wasn't going to say it.

I am not going to buy iLife '08 as based on all of the product information available I see that it offers nothing that will enhance my enjoyment or productivity.

Also, this thread is about Leopard, not iLife. Leopard promises a heap of stuff (Spaces, Time Machine, 64-bit addressing etc) but the most compelling reason to upgrade is that all new software will shortly require it?

Is Apple cynically marketing products for the upsell? Possibly. They are a company and like all company's their raison detré is to make money.

iSlave
25th September 2007, 12:47 AM
I'm curious what you expected for $25. iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb, Garageband... yup, $25. So what do you expect for the $25 portion of iLife that comprises iMovie?

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, if you're only paying 25 bucks for a movie editing app, you pretty much get exactly what you've been given. If you didn't check out the tutes on the Apple site, read the maketing materials, etc etc, then I don't think sympathy is the one thing you'll be receiving.

Disclaimer: I'm totally ignoring the fact that you get to keep iMovie '06, or d/l it for free...

Edit: I was referring to the family pack, so your actually getting a $20 movie editor, not a $25 one. I think you're doing pretty darn well for $20.

I didn't pay $25 for a movie editing app. I paid $100 for an upgrade to a series of apps. If you can't see that then I'd like to catch up with you. You're a perfect candidate for NLP techniques and I'm looking for a candidate for my masters. your logic is telling me I should have only paid $200 for photoshop.

iSlave
25th September 2007, 12:48 AM
They are a company and like all company's their raison detré is to make money.

Boy did you ever get sucked in.

dotnet
25th September 2007, 12:48 AM
I was expecting iMovie to be *UPDATED only to find it had been re-invented and downgraded.

You obviously didn't pay attention to the lively discussion about this very topic that was going on for weeks. It was hard to miss, even mainstream computer tabloids picked it up.

If you value your dollars do your research *before* purchase :rolleyes:

Cheers
Steffen.

iSlave
25th September 2007, 01:00 AM
You obviously didn't pay attention to the lively discussion about this very topic that was going on for weeks. It was hard to miss, even mainstream computer tabloids picked it up.

If you value your dollars do your research *before* purchase :rolleyes:

Cheers
Steffen.

That's arrogant. That remark comes from the insular world of an Apple user in an Apple environment. Everybody has many things in life to juggle and we don't all have time to study the road map in the land of hyper marketing.

iSlayer
25th September 2007, 01:06 AM
back on topic please guys

gmask1
25th September 2007, 01:21 AM
I didn't pay $25 for a movie editing app. I paid $100 for an upgrade to a series of apps. If you can't see that then I'd like to catch up with you. You're a perfect candidate for NLP techniques and I'm looking for a candidate for my masters. your logic is telling me I should have only paid $200 for photoshop.

Heh, touche. This is on topic as well as a response, in that you're not buying upgrades, of iLife, iWork, Leopard, whatever - you're making that assumption. You're buying the current version of the suite/OS, with whatever functionality Apple deems worthy. The purchase of any of these apps/OS has no requirement that a previous version be present, nor do the current versions bolt into or alter the existing apps - they all get removed, bar iMove - so you're buying replacements, not necessarily upgrades.

Leopard replaces Tiger (or installs nice and fresh), replaces Tiger functionality with Leopard functionality.

So as far as I'm concerned, you walk into a shop, pay your $99, get five apps which couldn't care less what you already have, and off you go. You aren't upgrading, you're replacing one with another, warts and all.

Now, I'm hoping that I can line up with everyone else at ComputersNow before the end of October to pay my $129 for Leopard... ;)

Another Edit: Apparently Apple chooses to put 'Upgrade Now' purchase buttons all across their iLife pages, so they consider it an upgrade. I give up.

dotnet
25th September 2007, 02:03 AM
That's arrogant.

Why is that? Because it's not what you like to hear?

That remark comes from the insular world of an Apple user in an Apple environment.

<snicker!> If only you knew how wrong you are. Calling me an Apple user... :rolleyes:

Everybody has many things in life to juggle and we don't all have time to study the road map in the land of hyper marketing.

Study the roadmap? You cannot seriously tell me that you missed the countless raging debates on how '08 is a huge departure from what has gone before. I bet if I dig out those threads (on this very forum) I probably find plenty of posts by yourself...

Cheers
Steffen.

chrism238
25th September 2007, 06:11 AM
This article (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/24/updated_leopard_requirements_to_exclude_800mhz_sys tems.html), if true, could present quite a shock to owners of older PPC G4 iMacs and laptops. Other articles on the same topic are debating whether the G4, even higher than 867MHz, will be supported at all, or whether a G5 will be the minimum cutoff.

The Appleinsider article also links to another (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/12/three_dozen_fixes_planned_for_mac_os_x_10_4_11.htm l) on a forthcoming v10.4.11 update.

SyncMan
25th September 2007, 06:40 AM
This article (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/24/updated_leopard_requirements_to_exclude_800mhz_sys tems.html), if true, could present quite a shock to owners of older PPC G4 iMacs and laptops. Other articles on the same topic are debating whether the G4, even higher than 867MHz, will be supported at all, or whether a G5 will be the minimum cutoff.

Crikey I hope I can still run Leopard on a PB G4 1.5Ghz!!!

The Appleinsider article also links to another (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/12/three_dozen_fixes_planned_for_mac_os_x_10_4_11.htm l) on a forthcoming v10.4.11 update.

By why stop at v10.4.11??? Now that they have broken the v10.4.9 barrier, we could have updates all the way until v10.4.99, right?

I for one can't wait for v10.4.99, can you? :D

chrism238
25th September 2007, 06:53 AM
I for one can't wait for v10.4.99, can you? :DI liked a recent comment on Slashdot, which described Leopard as Apple's Vista.

mechcon
25th September 2007, 07:52 AM
or *cue suspenseful music*

10.4.100!!

LCGuy
25th September 2007, 08:19 AM
I'm just looking forward to Leopard, so i can finally get my MacBook...its going to be my first brand new Mac in 10 years, can't wait :D

iSlave
25th September 2007, 08:32 AM
back on topic please guys

Like the man said.

iSlayer
25th September 2007, 08:57 AM
867mhz is quite fine imo. Your talking about systems that are 4+ years old or something. Im guessing the early G4 iBooks would have been the last systems around the 800mhz mark and that was 2003.

andrew.wilson
4th October 2007, 11:25 PM
Think Secret backs you up iSlayer!

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0710leopardrelease.html

:D

Huy
5th October 2007, 12:04 AM
Friday October 26.
:)

forgie
5th October 2007, 12:26 AM
I really want Leopard ASAP for the dev tools and frameworks - I have a project that needs basic PDF editing, and there's no way that I'm going to roll my own when a comprehensive PDFKit will be included with 10.5.

chrism238
5th October 2007, 06:11 AM
Friday October 26.
:)Ahh, just one more reason for John Howard to delay the election ;)

mechcon
5th October 2007, 11:48 AM
WHAT!? not 33rd?

Captain Stathi
6th October 2007, 11:54 AM
I'm in no hurry for it yet, I'll wait for 10.5.2 let them fix the remaing undocumented features.

stevekicks
8th October 2007, 01:12 PM
hey anyone with the 559 build - do you know how to mount shares on the desktop?

in tiger i used to be able to connect to work machines with smb://computername/c$ to get to the administrative share. this brought up a username / password / domain dialog. leopard only gives me the option of a username/password which the file share denies.

also - when i do connect using a local user / pass the share doesnt mount on the desktop or in the finder?

Jolyon
8th October 2007, 01:23 PM

in tiger i used to be able to connect to work machines with smb://computername/c$ to get to the administrative share. this brought up a username / password / domain dialog. leopard only gives me the option of a username/password which the file share denies.

also - when i do connect using a local user / pass the share doesnt mount on the desktop or in the finder?

Can you use DOMAIN\USERNAME in the username field?

stevekicks
8th October 2007, 01:36 PM
nah tried that too

Linux_insidev2
8th October 2007, 01:37 PM

enter the domainname as DOMAINNAME\username if that doesn't work try substituting the \ for a /

:EDIT: whoops, saw the above :/

I'm guessing that they rely on directory access now so that if you're on a domain it sorts itself out.

there is a way to do it from the terminal: smbmount //hostname/c$ /localpathtomountto -o username=username/DOMAINNAME

stevekicks
8th October 2007, 01:42 PM
i just connected to another apple machine using afp://machine and entered my details - that didn't mount on the desktop either. its comes up under the "shared" section of the sidebar which i dont like.

theres gotta be a way to mount the things on the desktop

hansent
8th October 2007, 02:33 PM
theres gotta be a way to mount the things on the desktop

Displaying the connected mount point is just turned off by default in Leopard. Go into Finder - Preferences and then check 'Connected Servers' under 'Show these items on the desktop'

forgie
8th October 2007, 02:34 PM
In finder in Tiger, you can go to Preferences (not system prefs) by pressing ⌘-, and change whether or not OSX will show servers on the Desktop.

edit: Too slow!