PDA

View Full Version : In Design and A4 pages

vid
13th February 2005, 05:38 PM
I am TRYING to do a "tri-fold" leaflet in In Design CS, but for the life of me I cannot get it to print to the edge of the page.
I select A4 Landscape make it 3 columns and Zero margins, but it always chops off what is near the edge of the page.
If I choose "fit to page" it makes it about 93% and leaves about 15mm gap from the edge particularly on the left side.

I am using a Epson C80.

Thanks Vid

hoony
13th February 2005, 05:46 PM
Does your printer actually print full bleed?

If you've selected A4 paper chances are it won't print to the egde of the page. The only way to get full bleed is to print it on A3 and cut it down.

ford.boy
13th February 2005, 07:30 PM
Many printers don't support full print area.

Could you try making it think that the paper is longer than it actually is?

vid
13th February 2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks Hoony,
I don't really understand the"bleed" thing at all but I'll give it a go.

Thanks

I guess if I went and bought a NEW printer the ones that Advertise that they print "no borders" this would fix the problem ????

neilrobinson
13th February 2005, 08:20 PM
yep... no many printers go full bleed and less do it reasonably.... even a $30 000 printer wont.... ie hp 5000.

at work we use lasers (xerox) and just print it on A3 with bleed and trim it down.

Currawong
14th February 2005, 06:45 AM
Yes, "full bleed" is what the average person calls "borderless". Because the print heads in most printers are in front of the paper feed cogs, most printers can't print on the last half inch of paper.

vid
14th February 2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the answers, looks like a new printer is the best (easiest) option OR go back to the way I used to do leaflets "MS Word" in columns, I just thought by buying In Design it was a professional application and would be perfect for such documents, maybe NOT !

I have done this sort of thing in Publisher on a PeeCee before and don't have any problems but I would rather NOT use the Piece of Crap (PC) if I can help it

Vid

kit
15th February 2005, 12:31 PM
It has nothing to do with the software. Using that printer, you would get exactly the same results in InDesign and in Publisher - the printer physically CANNOT print all the way to the edge of the page; mechanically, the cartridges aren't equipped to slide that far to the left and right.

If you're talking about the top and bottom of the page (holding it in portrait), that can be printed through trickery (tell the printer to print to a page that is 210mm*305mm or something. Regardless, the advisable way to get the look you're after is either printing to a larger format page (A3) with the bleed option in the software turned on (bleed means to print ink outside the document bounds, so when you crop it (with a guillotine) you don't see any of the un-inked stock around the outside) or to simply make your newsletter smaller than A4 when unfolded.

bernie234
15th February 2005, 10:46 PM
Check the default size which can be U.S.a4 which is smaller than A4 as we know it to be........ which would stop the printer printing to the edge

bernie234
15th February 2005, 10:49 PM
PS check both the software and the printer settings

bernie234
15th February 2005, 10:59 PM
EPSON also have user support page for Australia