PDA

View Full Version : WD 250G too hot for MBP ?

qwijibo
22nd September 2007, 04:24 PM
I just had a 250G WD2500BEVS put in my Rev.A macbook, and started getting spurious crashes - even whilst running from the old hdd via usb. Also was getting some graphical corruption.

The left palm rest was noticibly hotter than it was with the older drive (used to be cool to the touch, now quite warm).

I've put smcfancontroller on the beastie now, and have the left fan runing at 2000rpm instead of the default 1000rpm, and things seem better.

Does anyone think its wise or unwise to keep running it like this, or should I look at installing a cooler drive like a samsung ?

m4dvillain
22nd September 2007, 07:18 PM
i just put one of these http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=40_47&products_id=3723&osCsid=f6d7613ca86af1d6d3293e6cd25f363f (WD 250G) in my macbook (not a pro..) and it's been working fine since I put it in, even with using carbon copy cloner to clone the old -> new drive

not sure why yours would be running so hot, mine hasn't had any increase in temp, it even feels cooler than the old drive

kim jong il
22nd September 2007, 07:57 PM
I just had a 250G WD2500BEVS put in my Rev.A macbook, and started getting spurious crashes - even whilst running from the old hdd via usb. Also was getting some graphical corruption.

The left palm rest was noticibly hotter than it was with the older drive (used to be cool to the touch, now quite warm).

I've put smcfancontroller on the beastie now, and have the left fan runing at 2000rpm instead of the default 1000rpm, and things seem better.

Does anyone think its wise or unwise to keep running it like this, or should I look at installing a cooler drive like a samsung ?

Having just checked out the specifications of the drive at the Western Digital site (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=314) I find it hard to believe that your new drive is going to be a major source of additional heat (2.5 watts total just isn't a lot at all). One of its selling points is energy efficiency. :)

Current Requirements
5 VDC
Read/Write 500 mA
Idle 400 mA
Standby 50 mA
Sleep 20 mA

Power Dissipation
Read/Write 2.50 Watts
Idle 2.00 Watts
Standby 0.25 Watts
Sleep 0.10 Watts

Personally I feel that your spurious crashes and graphical output corruption to be unrelated to your new HD (but possibly maybe not unrelated to its installation). Who actually installed the drive?

It might well be worth installing iSlayers iStat widget (pretty sure this does HD temp's)(or something similar) so you can check/monitor the operating temperature of your new HD and various other internal bits. Please get back to us with answers or if you have any other questions.

qwijibo
22nd September 2007, 09:31 PM
Personally I feel that your spurious crashes and graphical output corruption to be unrelated to your new HD (but possibly maybe not unrelated to its installation). Who actually installed the drive?

It was installed by a nextbyte technician (yeh, I know, probably not the best choice, but he could do it in 20 minutes, and it was easier to get him to do it than do it myself). I also thought that he could have muffed something up when installing it .. but from looking at the installation instructions, there isn't anything sensitive that needs to be touched to remove/install a hdd. Unless he killed a sensor, or jammed up a vent or something.

The reason I was suspectin hdd heat, is that the machine was noticibly hotter at idle in the area where the hdd is (left hand rest) than it used to be, and running smcfancontroller seems to have pushed the problem away.

It might well be worth installing iSlayers iStat widget (pretty sure this does HD temp's)(or something similar) so you can check/monitor the operating temperature of your new HD and various other internal bits. Please get back to us with answers or if you have any other questions.

This machine idles pretty hot - cpu @ 62, gpu @ 60, mem controller @ 54. The hdd is @ 36. Cranking the fans up to 2000rpm drops those by about 5 or 6 degrees.

The old drive evidently used 2.2W at idle vs 2.0W for the 250g, so tthe new drive should in fact be cooler. See: http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus5400.2_120gb.pdf (the 80g model).

Colour me confused.