PDA

View Full Version : BF1942 for mac!

Gothikon
26th March 2004, 06:34 AM
Don't know if anyone else has noticed but insidemacgames.com have a preview of BF1942 Deluxe edition for Mac.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/previews/view.php?ID=144

pipsqeek
26th March 2004, 06:42 AM
Whoohoo!!!

Another reason not to turn the PC on. :D

Steve

decryption
26th March 2004, 10:26 AM
Bah, I already have Battlefield Vietnam on my Windows box, it's a bit late for Battlefield 1942 don't ya reckon? :P

pipsqeek
26th March 2004, 02:31 PM
I still play both. Just because BF - Vietman is out don't mean I don't feel like playing some Ol' Skool War games.

Something to keep me occupied while the TAFE teachers blabber on about shit.

Steve

mivory
26th March 2004, 10:33 PM
I hate to admit to this, but I was so jealous that my uncle could play this game on a pc but I couldn't on my mac nearly made me buy a 2nd hand pc just for games. I think it's great for software companies to spend more time on mac users. I just wish that macworld australia or someone would produce a demo cd of the latest softwares for those of us in rural australia who have no chance to download huge demo files. If I can try it and I like it I'll buy it. If I can't try it there's no way I'm going to buy it.
Anyway, good move. If I can try a demo and it works as well as I expect it to I'll definately buy it.

InfiniteAnthony
30th March 2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah I only have a PC with Windows on it to play Counterstrike and various other games. It would be great if game developers ported more software across. Especially the network games.

fang
30th March 2004, 04:09 PM
I'm an avid game player AND a rabid Mac user (8 the two are not mutually exclusive 8), I try not to get too upset at the plethora of games for PeeCee, I take solace in the fact that a lot of them are dull & the really good ones get ported to my platform of choice... eventually. I only play games on my Mac (apart my old Ataris) & where possible I like to play cross-platform games to make sure the dudes on the receiving end know they were thrashed by a Mac 8)

I'm heartened by the fact that since OSX a lot more developers are simultaneously releasing PeeCee & Mac versions. Sad still that we end up missing out on some of the nice added extras (Map editors etc.) but I'm still petitioning in my own annoying one-man operation several developers to add these tools too.

Have a look at Unreal Tournament 2004 for an example of a great game with (close to) simultaneous Mac & PeeCee release
http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18034

very close to a simultaneous release (2 weeks apart ;)

seriously the best game I've *EVER* played (thats a BIG statement) but its system requirements are pretty heavy.

jameso
31st March 2004, 06:23 PM
now, if only my mac wasn't slow as a dog

jameso

stevejay
1st April 2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by fang@Mar 30 2004, 05:09 PM
I try not to get too upset at the plethora of games for PeeCee, I take solace in the fact that a lot of them are dull & the really good ones get ported to my platform of choice... eventually.
Dozers are just beta testers for we Maccies ;)

sikosis
19th April 2005, 11:01 AM
I was playing some BF last night on the PC and noticed a few ppl using [MAC] as their clan tags ;)

Can't wait for Battlefield 2 :thumbup:

the_OM
19th April 2005, 11:09 AM
Children, children, children..... when will you all learn that Call of Duty shits all over BF 1942!

zeddie2001
19th April 2005, 11:10 AM
I don't care how late it is, what an awesome game! I seriously contemplated getting a PC for gaming because of this very game (and the fact that Counter-Strike will never be released on Mac :thumbdn: ) So this is great news!! Plus, it will work on the new iBook when it arrives, after I order it, which will be after Tiger is released because I'm too tight to pay for postage :D

How awesome is this!!

purana
19th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mivory@Mar 26 2004, 10:33 PM
I just wish that macworld australia or someone would produce a demo cd of the latest softwares for those of us in rural australia who have no chance to download huge demo files.
Speaking of demos and games.. anyone seen this

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17756

Its some free game called Food Force. I am downloading a copy for OSX to take home and investigate.

noisypoppy
19th April 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Apr 19 2005, 11:09 AM
Children, children, children..... when will you all learn that Call of Duty shits all over BF 1942!
Call of Duty is cool singleplayer...the multiplay sucks, it's not big like BF1942 is
plus the game isn't as free as BF1942, you can do so much cooler shit in BF1942
the only advantages COD has of BF is the realism, graphics and sound
I personally like the freedom and playability of BF1942 over COD...hence why I'm selling my copy on appletalk

darknight84
19th April 2005, 01:21 PM
Why get so excited over such an old game? BF2 is coming for the PC! woohoo!

napes
19th April 2005, 01:21 PM
CoD is GREAT multiplayer!!!! Whatyatalkinabout NoisyPoppy! :)

sikosis
19th April 2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Apr 19 2005, 11:09 AM
Can you fly a plane in CoD ?

Sure CoD is awesome single player (the voice actors were what made it for me ... particularly Steven Blum/David Lucas) but it's MP was lacking.

konni
19th April 2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Apr 19 2005, 12:12 PM
Its some free game called Food Force. I am downloading a copy for OSX to take home and investigate.
Looks interesting. I think I'd rather my son was playing this than America's Army (fat chance though hey?).

It's a big file to download so I hope you're gonna give us a review soon.

noisypoppy
19th April 2005, 01:47 PM
America's Army is quite a pain in the ass doing all the training before being able to jump in and play. You have to play it online too which is quite a pain (unless you play LAN).

napes: CoD multiplayer sucks, it doesn't feature much (in terms of multiplayer games) which Doom didn't feature back in 1994 or whenever the hell it came out. Play BF1942 multiplayer, you'll see what I mean...the games are damn crazy! People everywhere (usually around 40 or so), in tanks, planes, boats, jeeps all that bollocks, it's awesome! Even co-op with a few of your (PC or Mac) buddies is a damn good night, we do it often.

Insanely
19th April 2005, 02:02 PM
Sweet. I love BF1942. What servers are you guys playing on. I play on iHug server. I play on a windoze box though.

Has BF2 got a mac version coming?

sikosis
19th April 2005, 02:28 PM
yeh I was playing on the iHug servers last night ;)

The PC version is due out end of June, but the Mac version might never come. Battlefield 2, apparently, uses a modified version of the Havok SDK for its physics engine. The Havok SDK has not yet been ported to the Mac.

napes
19th April 2005, 03:35 PM
I've played both CoD & BF1942 (on PC).

With the CoD UO addon you get tanks and jeeps. Sure - no aircraft, but I personally prefer the way it plays.

Understand though - I'm not writing off BF1942 & will to buy it and play it and enjoy it - but still think CoD is bloody good fun multiplayer. :)

(n)

sikosis
19th April 2005, 03:54 PM
I actually thought CoD:UO was one of the worst games I've ever played. ;) just goes to show how different ppl are.

napes
19th April 2005, 04:08 PM
Hehehe... It's good though that people like different stuff. I agree that the Single Player was better in original CoD, but I still enjoyed UO.

Worst game I've played recently was 007 nightfire... absolutely sh*tfull IMO. I had high hopes for it too being a big Bond fan... and was utterly disappointed. :( Maybe my expectations were too high? Also, I work on games for a living (art) and there was some nasty texturing in that game. Seams everywhere! euugh!

eyeLikeCarrots
22nd April 2005, 12:21 PM
Bf1942 is the absolute ducks guts for multiplayer war games IMHO

COD and Medal of Honor are good multi player too. I've never tried United Offensive but I agree with the descriptions of freedom that bf1942 gives a player. I remember fondly when the multi player demo was released.. we played it almost the entire lan of that weekend...

Sorry to say that bf1942 plays poorly on my 1.33 9200 iBook and I simply cant afford a PB with a 128meg 9700 when I have a pc at home with a gig or ram and an x800pro

Currawong
22nd April 2005, 06:49 PM
What annoys me at the moment (and fair enough it's because I have a bloody fast machine with excellent graphics card) is that I can't get something like MOHAA based around the Doom III engine, or Halo 2 for that matter. The Quake III based games are just looking too cheesy for me at the moment, though they are generally fun to play when you can max all options and still get an excellent frame rate.