PDA

View Full Version : FONT MANAGEMENT - what's the best process in OS X

SPDseven
21st September 2007, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

Another newbie OS X user question.

For work I have many font sets and have to turn them on and off for various jobs.

Used to use ATM, and before that Suitcase.

What do you all use these days?

(I was really living in the bronze age)

iSlayer
21st September 2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

marc
21st September 2007, 04:02 PM
FontExplorerX

Free, and like... totally better than anything ever. Ever!

Ahm. I've used ATM and Suitcase over the years. OS 9, OS X, everything. FontExplorerX is much better, nicer to use and more stable than all of them. It doesn't do server syncing though.

admiral31
21st September 2007, 04:03 PM
I use Suitcases. Its not ideal, but the auto activation function in the adobe apps is handy. Have not used Suitcase fusion yet though....have heard it does not play nice with Quark 7.

SPDseven
21st September 2007, 04:13 PM
Trying to add things to Font Book is proving to be difficult. Seems very slow and unstable.

marc
21st September 2007, 04:29 PM
I use Suitcases. Its not ideal, but the auto activation function in the adobe apps is handy.
FontExplorerX has auto activation plugins for all the Adobe apps and Quark (I believe).

bennettnz
21st September 2007, 04:41 PM
I have used all of the above except the new Extensis fusion which is half suitcase and half another program I used to use which I have forgotten the name... At present I only use font book as all the others at one time or another have caused me headaches. Font book causes me all sorts of headaches but at least they are limited (as is the program). I would probably vote for font explorer which is a good program with it's auto activation etc.

mac_man_luke
21st September 2007, 05:55 PM
I use fontbook, and linking the fonts instead of installing them

works very well other than no auto activation.

benda
21st September 2007, 06:00 PM
Another vote for FontExplorerX here. It really is that good! I can't believe it's free.

Hamsmyth
21st September 2007, 06:21 PM
FontExplorerX. Nothing else to say.

grfxninja
21st September 2007, 07:35 PM
The only one that came close to being useable was Suitcase... but they lost the plot too, just like all the other pretenders.

Suitcase has been the most bloated peice of shit for years. Has caused us nothing but problems using all versions for the past 7 or 8 years.

Before FontExplorer became available, we used FontAgent Pro (http://www.insidersoftware.com/FA_pro_osx.php) but it wasn't perfect. Still, anything was better than the pain of using Suitcase!

+1 FontExplorerX

Gerbils
21st September 2007, 10:42 PM
Suitcase on OS X is the biggest pile of shit ever. AVOID AVOID!!

tazgtz
21st September 2007, 11:26 PM

+1 for Font Explorer

Some may have already said it but I like to repeat:

1_ It is FREE (as in free beer)
2_ Very user friendly: you now how to use iTunes... then you won't be lost
3_ Works very well in professional environment

SPDseven
22nd September 2007, 04:49 PM
OK I have been playing with FontExplorer X for the last 24 hours and it seems OK... just.

I have to say it seems overly complicated in comparison to everything else I have used. So far it has completely shattered the orderly collections I had and wants to do its own thing until you hit it with a poo bat... I mean fiddle with the preferences.

I had 2500 typefaces in 10 collections I was familiar with in ATM depending on the type of work I was doing. It's now stored all of these in alphabetised folders.

There are also a couple of typefaces that it just flat out won't allow me to switch on or off, and yes, before you ask, I do own them.

Not sold on it, but I have to get working and it's kinda working.

Gerbils
22nd September 2007, 05:45 PM
It's strange, I've been freelancing around at various studios around the place, and NONE of them are using FontExplorer X! In fact most have never heard of it. They are either using Suitcase (UGH) or FontBook (WTF? I would never have considered using this in a professional environment).

grfxninja
22nd September 2007, 06:43 PM
I had 2500 typefaces in 10 collections I was familiar with in ATM depending on the type of work I was doing. It's now stored all of these in alphabetised folders.

As already mentioned, if you know iTunes, you know FontExplorerX.
Create new "sets" and activate/de-activate as required. Couldn't be simpler.
If it has created alphabetised "Sets" (in the source pane) you can just delete the sets(your fonts will still be in the Library), create your own sets and your away.

It's strange, I've been freelancing around at various studios around the place, and NONE of them are using FontExplorer X! In fact most have never heard of it. They are either using Suitcase (UGH) or FontBook (WTF? I would never have considered using this in a professional environment).

A lot of places tend to think that if it is free, it can't be all that good. How anybody still uses Suitcase amazes the shit out of me :confused:

tazgtz
22nd September 2007, 07:41 PM

I'm pushing it at my workplace... the people who've tried it on my machine seem to find it easy to use.

As for SPDseven, before importing all your fonts, you've been prompted to let FontExplorer to manage your fonts or to leave them where they are... A bit like iTunes the first time you launch it on a machine...

You can always go to your preferences and set it up like this screen capture (just below the icons):

http://www.kookaburra-design.com/work/FontExplorerPrefs.png

Also you can re-create your 10 collections by setting some sets like playlists in iTunes as grfxninja says above.

mac_man_luke
22nd September 2007, 07:51 PM
fontbook with 10.4 is perfectly usable IMHO - earlier versions suck because they want to move your fonts into your font folder.

Gerbils
22nd September 2007, 08:10 PM
Fontbook doesn't auto-activiate fonts, does it?

tazgtz
22nd September 2007, 08:21 PM
Fontbook doesn't auto-activiate fonts, does it?

Yes, it can...

It also also got plug-ins for certain applications...