PDA

View Full Version : buying a second hand G4 powerbook

the_cripple
13th February 2005, 09:17 AM
Hi all. I'm in the market for a 15inch powerbook (superdrive) and am looking at buying a secondhand one. I can't really justify a new one atm as I'm just about to start uni so money will start to get sparse :P Anyway I'm looking at a newish one at least 1ghz (though the faster the better). Is there anywhere that can give me rough prices?

From what i've gathered from looking on ebay I'm looking atleast $2200 though once postage is factored in its closer to $2300. So for the extra $900 would I be better off just buying a new one?

iSlayer
13th February 2005, 09:19 AM
$900 is alot of money.
if you can get a second hand one in good condion with a carry bag etc.. then go for it.

just make sure it has a good battery life as you dont want to have to fork out $200 for a new one

all though for the extra $900 you get a much faster system.......

depends if you really need the extra cpu power and video power

helloroto
13th February 2005, 09:27 AM
Bah! Get a new 12" PB or try searchin around for a 1ghz+ 12" they go for around 1500 on ebay depending on which model.
I am in high school and i think anything bigger than my 12" iBook is too big, for max portablity i'd have to say the 12" rocks
Anyway hope this helps

iSlayer
13th February 2005, 09:30 AM
i do agree with roto on that.
im getting a powerbook in a few weeks to replace my old one and ill go for the 12 inch i rekon
the 1.33ghz model is great value if you can get one.
it has core image and core video support unlike the previous models

they are under $2000 in most cases

Rayd
13th February 2005, 10:13 AM
i rekomend the 12" for max protablilty the 15 is a bit big if you ask me...

bender
13th February 2005, 10:17 AM
Depends what you're doing at uni; if it's just light word processing or coding, I don't see the need in having anything super powerful...so yeah I reckon the 12" would be awesome, if you're worried about screen real-estate just hook up to a secondary display!

the_cripple
13th February 2005, 10:45 AM
Its not really for uni. I can't see it being needed for it, though it may be taken occasionaly. Anyway the main use will be for general duties i.e word processing, net etc. And a bit of music production. Thats why I was thinking about getting the bigger screen. But since I'd be doing it mostly at home I could just buy a cheapish lcd to hook up to it. hmm decisions, decisions. But the 12inch model doesn't have a backlit keyboard, and they video card isn't as good as the 9700, arrgh.

soul assasin
13th February 2005, 11:01 AM
By what you say the machine will be used for primarily, the video card difference won't matter that much. Also If you say that its not really for uni, then you don't need a portable superdrive in which case an external one would be much cheaper and faster.

I agree with everyone else and think 12" is the way to go. :)

helloroto
13th February 2005, 11:07 AM
Seriously what would you need a backlit keyboard for? The screen provides enough light for you to see the keyboard anyway, plus 64mb on board video is enough for quartz anyway.

adsis1
13th February 2005, 03:23 PM
mate jus give in u know u want the newest and best PB haha

fairy1
13th February 2005, 07:02 PM
Hey cripple.

I wreckon u should opt for a 15 inch! its the best of the 12, and 17 ur in the middle. So ur decision wont be that regrettable. Plus it has backlight and you can get demo models, refurbished models from compnow.com.au

in the price bands your looking at. With superdrive.

Im thinking of getting the 15 inch the new updated models on the ezypay option maybe you can try that... If your working fulltime, and theres no interest just pay monthly. but you have to pay 47% of the deposit inmy case around $1759 somethign,, including SOUNDSTICKS 2 speakers and air port extreme and a free stm glove. The total value for me is $3599 with the education discount.

just check out your options you probably can afford the latest update.

And even if you cant i dont think you can go wrong with a 15 inch .

Jamesley
17th July 2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by fairy1@Feb 13 2005, 07:02 PM
Im thinking of getting the 15 inch the new updated models on the ezypay option
Can you please tell me what apple store(s) you know of that offer Ezypay, Thanks.