PDA

View Full Version : Acrobat 8 constantly locking when not online.

xerodude
21st September 2007, 09:15 AM
HELP..!!!!

Can someone tell me why Acrobat 8 ( licensed) constantly has 30 second lockups every few minutes when the laptop is not online? I can only presume it is phoning home or something to that effect. It never occurs when the lappy is connected to the internet.

Ideas..????

geektechnu
21st September 2007, 09:26 AM
Probably the Adobe Updater program - check your activity monitor next time it happens. I found that the updater consistently hits 100% CPU usage when it cant connect to the update server (but it still keeps trying).

To switch to manual updates, let the updater complete a download. You'll then have an option to set the preferences.

Currawong
21st September 2007, 09:28 AM
Acrobat definitely does phone home. Install Little Snitch if you want to see. Maybe look in the prefs for the web settings, there are some that involve connecting to the internet from memory.

xerodude
21st September 2007, 11:28 AM
Currently, the Updater is set to manual. Thanks for that tip!

From memory, there is an app associated with Adobe stuff now that is a copy protection test. I wonder if that is causing an issue. I'll install Little Snitch, and see what happens.

Anyway, whatever is happening, it is making Acrobat unusable when not connected.