PDA

View Full Version : fonts sharing them between Mac and PC

Secoa
20th September 2007, 09:04 PM
Is it possible to share the same fonts from my Mac to my PC (and vice versa). I use a Mac at home and a PC at work. I have to put together many word documents and I am facing issues around using a font that I have on my Mac but not on my PC. Can I find the font file and install it on my PC. Likewise there are fonts on my PC that I do not have on my Mac, can I install the PC version on the Mac??

I asked my IT department and when I mentioned Mac they basically stated Mac's and PC office documents are not compatible. I tried to explain that Office 2004 has function to assess compatibility but they stated it didn't work. (Sorry i got off track here). Can someone assist on the font side. I have to produce 24 documents by tomorrow night and it would be helpful to have an answer.

Thanks

titan44
20th September 2007, 09:27 PM
ttf? yeah should be ok, I've had a few minor problems with some fonts ( spacing and font sizes ) but nothing major.

mikeb.aus81
20th September 2007, 09:45 PM
Stop.. hold up.. wait... Be careful when using fonts and switching between platforms..
I work for a print studio and we see a lot of font & layout errors due to font compatibility issues between mac and windows...
only use Open Type fonts to ensure that you'll have not problems...
TTF and PS will most likely have kerning and sometimes even character changes...
I'd advise to convert document to PDF to ensure no dramas...
for more re cross platform font compatibility goto http://www.fileinfo.net/help/fonts-mac-windows.html

andrew.wilson
21st September 2007, 01:00 AM
I have done it. Stole a few fonts I liked off the gf's copy of the new Office for Windows, such as Calibria. I think they look a little different on the Mac, but I still like it. As mentioned above. Just make sure you export to .pdf before you transfer it to another computer to print.

You might also experience some problems with getting bold and italics to work.

Otherwise, it should just be as easy and copying from windows, opening the file and selecting install font :thumbup:

Aa
21st September 2007, 01:55 AM
There are a couple of font converters out there also, but in my experience you spend a whole lot of time getting no where. they pretty much useless. that aside.

Mac read ttf as stated above and most of the majors so the problem is moreso on the pc side. i wish things would go opentype a bit quicker..