PDA

View Full Version : G5's and 10.3.8 fan noise

Currawong
12th February 2005, 03:51 PM
As some of you reading this may be painfully aware already, 10.3.8 causes G5's to spin up their fans far more readily than 10.3.7 did. Opening a single program can result in enough CPU boost that the fans spool up. This is downright annoying.

However, I recall that the fan speed vs temperature is guided by a single plist file somewhere inside the System. Despite that, I haven't been able to find information anywhere that lists what plist file is involved.

Does anyone know?

trotkiller
12th February 2005, 04:29 PM
10.3.8 has done nothing to my G5's fans??? Did i get a dud version of the update :D

hawker
12th February 2005, 05:05 PM
Apprently it does not just affect G5's, its right accross the board and many people are talking about it in iBooks and Powerbooks...

scruffie
12th February 2005, 05:19 PM
Hmm... both my ibook g4 & g3's are good. Still quiet :)

ric3am
12th February 2005, 06:48 PM
No fan problems to my G5 after 10.3.8

dovla
12th February 2005, 08:00 PM
very very annoying having fans go on while browsing!!! Anyone found a solution for this yet ? i'm thinking of going back to 10.3.7..

dovla

Currawong
12th February 2005, 08:13 PM
Well, ok, some of you haven't had problems. But does ANYONE REMEMBER WHICH PLIST FILE CONTAINS THE FAN SETTINGS?

neilrobinson
12th February 2005, 10:05 PM
might not be useful... but http://xlr8yourmac.com/ had a bit on its front page about it, changing from max to automatic and back again or something...

neil

btw if anybody wants to give me a G5 to test im happy to accept it! B)

Jimbo
12th February 2005, 10:39 PM
i think currawong, its a file in a library somewhere called applefan.kext

not 100%

kit
13th February 2005, 01:02 AM
Jimbo is right:

http://homepage.mac.com/paul74/MDDFanExtensionMod.htm

That explains the contents of that kext file.

Currawong
13th February 2005, 08:12 AM
I managed to find the plists inside the kernel extensions last night (I resorted to using locate .plist in the terminal and doing it the hard way). I've checked the settings in all plist files related to fans and thermal calibration between 10.3.7 and 10.3.8 and there is absolutely no difference. I'm putting it down to there being an updated kernel or something else I don't know about.

hawker
13th February 2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the update Currawong. I'd say it was an extra thing we know nothing about. Either that or Bill Gates has got into mac updates :)

Currawong
13th February 2005, 08:43 AM
I suspect that the energy saver settings, going by xlr8yourmac, are the culprit. I had to stop running dnetc as the fans would cycle up and down all the time. If this update fixes it, I might consider running it again.

pipsqeek
18th February 2005, 09:51 AM
Having just bought Currawong's G5. I have been plaing with it extensively.

What I have noticed is (this is my first G5 ever) that the fans really kick up when there is a load, rather then the temp increasing or decreasing.

I've run dnetc stuff, and the fans go nuts. But I also load up some heavy apps. they load up the CPUs during startup, but their temps stay the same for alittle bit. the fans still kick up a storm.

So this sort of tells me that the CPU load is effecting the fans. not the temp. I was also doing something the other day with it. Can't remeber what. The CPU temps were up there. about 69* C.

The fans were working as normal, cause the load was low.

When I stopped the applications. The temps went back down to normal, but the fans were still running as quietly as normal.

pipsqeek

digitalalchemy
5th April 2007, 02:40 AM
This fan issue is so annoying. It is definitely based on load not temperature. Within 2 minutes of starting up and running an application the fan is on its next to highest level. The G5 prior to 10.3 was the quietest mac I have ever run - even when rendering massive files. After effects, electric image, maya... even freakin fetch makes my quad roar like my older g4 mirror drive door model... OK maybe not that bad - but close.

Has anyone found a fix yet? I spend 10 hours a day listening this freakin fan.

Thanks!

Craig

STK
5th April 2007, 10:21 AM
This fan issue is so annoying. It is definitely based on load not temperature. Within 2 minutes of starting up and running an application the fan is on its next to highest level. The G5 prior to 10.3 was the quietest mac I have ever run - even when rendering massive files. After effects, electric image, maya... even freakin fetch makes my quad roar like my older g4 mirror drive door model... OK maybe not that bad - but close.

Has anyone found a fix yet? I spend 10 hours a day listening this freakin fan.

Thanks!

Craig

Get 10.4?

applecollector
5th April 2007, 11:03 AM
On my 2.3Ghz Dual Core G5 the fans are dead silent only if it's a really quite night can you here it.
I"m running 10.4.8 on one of the drives works fine.
What i REALLY HATE! is the fact that both of my HD's (2x 250GB) are lould infact the newer one i bought is the worst. but i can live with it.
I think upgrading to 10.4.9 would be the best option in your case or wait until leopard.
Also what are the specs of your G5?

W2ttsy
5th April 2007, 11:18 AM
ive recently found my fans to get stuck at full tilt and then have the computer lock up (no inputs work) only method is to hard restart and they go back to normal. havent had a chance to update as my g5 as at my partners and she only has 256k :(