PDA

View Full Version : html coding

Jimbo
12th February 2005, 12:16 PM
Ok so, who know what type of target i pick if i want an image to open in a browser window with no forware back stop etc just a window by itself?

like if you want to open a html page in a frame at the top, you'd write mainFrame and a seperate browser window type "_child"
what i mean is like when you click the printer on this page
Link (http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=13142&osCsid=b77f924d1890566df88d0940ba5742b3)

iSlayer
12th February 2005, 12:22 PM
use JS
My Link (javascript:;)

notb4dinner
12th February 2005, 12:48 PM
islayer is on the money. I just have to ask though, why would you want to do something like that? Most of the time new windows (especially ones launched from js) are more of an annoyance than anything, if the user really wants to open a link in a new window they can do it for themselves.

Jimbo
12th February 2005, 12:59 PM
ok, but how do i put an image in there?

i have a sliced up pic in photoshop that needs to be linked to an new window though...

Jimbo
12th February 2005, 01:00 PM
ok, notb4dinner if you really wanna find out, it because of the whole experience...

My Webpage (http://www.kickinthejunk.com/index0.html)

Optogamut
12th February 2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 12 2005, 12:59 PM
ok, but how do i put an image in there?

i have a sliced up pic in photoshop that needs to be linked to an new window though...
the image is in the html file (link.html if your using the JS above), or you could change the JS to open the image directly, i.e. change link.html to image.jpg

also, you can add a couple of parameters to the JS to get the size window you want, so your image fits right away,

innerHeight=?
innerWidth=?

then you can turn off the resize...

iSlayer
12th February 2005, 01:39 PM
to use an image just replace the text link with image.jpg or whatever you went

Quamen
12th February 2005, 02:34 PM
Yuck. Frames.

/me farts in the general direction of Jimbo

The experience so far is shithouse. I have to scroll a frame in order to read the top part because the picture is bigger than the frame. Ditch the frames. Frames are evil!

Currawong
12th February 2005, 02:52 PM
Moving this to creative Mac...

Jimbo
12th February 2005, 02:54 PM
hmm thats interesting quamen, try setting your screen size to something bigger than 320x240?

you site is a little too action packed for me too, and i can almost read it on my 1600x1200 display, esp the grey on white, good effect :lol:

Quamen
12th February 2005, 03:45 PM
Jimbo we're talking 1024x768 standard 12" powerbook screen size here. If you're site can't display properly on something like that......well.....it's you who has the problems. People aren't going to visit your site if it won't display properly for the majority of users.

Maybe you should try using some constructive critisism to your advantage. You're the first person to critisize the colour scheme of my site, but I've noted it. If many more people have problems with it then I'll change it, but for now it's staying.

Frames on the other hand are a known evil. So is designing your site for resolutions way above what the majority of users run.

Jimbo
13th February 2005, 09:56 AM
ay above, no really, if i could do it without frames i would, but short of making my whole thing in flash (which would be too much fun) i'm not sure i could carry it out.

can you make a html partially reload without re-loading a flash bit, that sits on the bottom?

and for the record it displays fine on the 1024x768 screen on my housemates laptop.
so i'm not sure what the problem is (either my end or yours?)

and one other thing, i've never used dreamweaver/flash before a week ago, i'm an artist not a graphic design graduate, i wish i was but alas, i'm not really that focussed.

And actually i'm gonna thank you for your criticism, however telling someone that their site is "The experience so far is shithouse" can be hurtful, esp when someone ie me, sits up till the wee hours learning to use dreamweaver.

glad we can help each other out like adults

Quamen
13th February 2005, 11:54 AM
ok yea I admit. Shithouse was probably too harsh a word to use.

But it seems you've made some adjustments, the first page is loading fine now. some of the others still have scroll panels showing up in the top frame for me.

Have you tried using <div> boxes enclose the sections of your site. I&#39;ve never playing with flash myself, but you should be able to open the flash file in a <div> or similar and thereby not have to use frames.

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 03:02 PM
the only thing i&#39;m using frames for is so that when you say click on the ghost, the message board appears, ithout re-loading flash file, as if you rel-load a flash file not only does it take a year, but it starts over at frame1. so it&#39;ll appear to be home...

what are <div> boxes?

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 03:04 PM
no i really can&#39;t see any other way of making it work without frames?

snax
14th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Hey
The link which you posted earlier is dead now, so I dunno exactly what you are trying to do...

But regardless, something that hasn&#39;t been mentioned yet is an iFrame. An Inline Frame allows you to load a separate html document within a box on a page.

Try this code:

<iframe src="inlineframes1.html" width="80%" height="110"></iframe>

(replace the inlineframes1.html bit with something meaningful - any html document)

A tutorial can be found here: http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/frames/inlineframes.html

the_argon
14th February 2005, 05:43 PM
Although i&#39;d never use frames myself unless it was an extreemely dire situation i&#39;d recommend you have a look at i-frames or inline frames. Have a bit of a read of this (http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/authoring/frames/) site, it has some pretty good info on frames.

Edit: damnit snax&#33; :P

(that wasn&#39;t there before I swear)

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 10:17 PM
oh snax, it&#39;s www.kickinthejunk.com now

964RSCS
14th February 2005, 10:52 PM
Jimbo, forget frames completely, and put all your content inside tables. Make sure you then set your table widths to % - not a set size e.g 800 pixels. That way, everyones browser will adjust itself to fit the content of the table, except for images like you have on the main page&#33; A user should be able to resize the browser window indefinately.

have fun&#33;

Gerard

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 11:16 PM
i&#39;ve decided i&#39;m in way over my head. so i&#39;ll explain it all real simple. coz i don&#39;t really understand some terms you guys are using....

i have a flash file a .swf, that open certain pages from it, its like the dock i guess at the bottom of your screen. it needs to be there all the time as its the navbar. i cant allow it to reload everytime someone clicks to go somewhere else, as it&#39;ll go back to frame one (the flash frame) and all the buttons will reset. if you go to my site www.kickinthejunk.com, it may give you an insight, although be warned i have given up for today on it, will continue tomorrow...

Jim

Benjamin
15th February 2005, 07:40 AM
if you need scrolling throw it all in a scrolling div
doesnt need frames/iframes/javascript

Jimbo
16th February 2005, 05:10 PM
alright iframes are in, and accessible at www.kickinthejunk.com

but what i&#39;d really like, is if the flash file resizes with the browser window, tha&#39;d be cool, that way, if you have an 800x600 screen res, you can just have a smaller navbar, but it doesn;&#39;t look smaller.

Benjamin
18th February 2005, 07:38 AM
just set the width in the flash tags to 100% and your sorted.