PDA

View Full Version : iStat Menus bug and feature requests

irtesev
20th September 2007, 03:25 AM
I like how iStat Menus is evolving and it is now the one I use, but I thought I should bring up a couple of things that were bothering me:

http://tesev.net/spotlight/menustuf.gif

In the above pict I have MenuMeters (to the left) iStat Menus (to the right) and the Activity Monitor (bottom) running simultaneously. I like to use the usage breakdown in my CPU graph so that I know what my machine is doing. There is however an obvious discrepancy in the CPU graphs and the iStat Menus is the odd one out; it looks like it is displaying the usage breakdown backwards as the "system" and "nice" breakdowns are using less but appear on top as if they were using more. BTW I am running a PB G4 if that helps.

Also, minor requests:
- The option to hide the "U:" and the "F:" from the memory.
- The option to display memory in MB instead of GB.
- More options for disk activity indicators specifically indicators that are more prominent such as the one shown above in MenuMeters.
- The option to have the CPU meter use the entire height of the menu, bottom to top, as MenuMeters does.

Thanx and keep up the good work!!

iSlayer
20th September 2007, 06:13 AM
it looks like it is displaying the usage breakdown backwards as the "system" and "nice" breakdowns are using less but appear on top as if they were using more.

Yep that is right. We have always displayed user on bottom followed by system and nice. Not really sure why but we always have :)

Also, minor requests:
- The option to hide the "U:" and the "F:" from the memory.

Can do

- The option to display memory in MB instead of GB.

Can do

- More options for disk activity indicators specifically indicators that are more prominent such as the one shown above in MenuMeters.

We are going to tweak/add more modes for disk activity over the next few releases

- The option to have the CPU meter use the entire height of the menu, bottom to top, as MenuMeters does.

We dont have any plans to do that right now but you never know in the future

andcheese
26th September 2007, 01:42 AM
OK, here's a couple... :D

It's distracting that the pull down menu (Istat Menus) has Network listed in order of "In" above "Out" in both cases, but the menu display has "Out" above "In".

I too would like Kb's as an option as well as KB's.

When I get more memory, I'd like the ability to pick the units of measure.

In the Preferences panel, the sliders are hard to get to specific values, (4.8 seconds seems a little weird to my OCD ;) ). They don't update the value as you slide, so you have to slide, stop and see; slide, stop and see... Either update the value, or have a value entry box, or all the user to hit a number key and have the slider jump to that value?

Overall, great work! You will see money coming from me, even if these don't get changed. Good work deserves reward. Thanks!

andcheese (Bill) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

iSlayer
26th September 2007, 07:40 AM
Will see what we can do :)

Peter Wells
28th September 2007, 12:50 PM
just to let you know, (i'm sure you already know) the EFI update switched off istat menus..

decryption
28th September 2007, 12:53 PM
just to let you know, (i'm sure you already know) the EFI update switched off istat menus..

Didn't do that on my MacBook Pro.

iSlayer
28th September 2007, 12:54 PM

Were you able to re-enable everything ?

Peter Wells
28th September 2007, 12:58 PM
Were you able to re-enable everything ?

yeah, sorry... it was just all switched off...

switched back on without issue. should've been more clear on the first post. :)

it did the same on my imac, weird.

iSlayer
28th September 2007, 01:03 PM
No idea why that would happen. I probably cant do much about it as the firmware update is probably a 1 shot deal(makes debugging/patching almost impossible). Aslong as it all works in the end im not too worried about it.

iSlayer
28th September 2007, 01:12 PM
fulltimecasual,
did this just affect iStat menus ?. Did anything else in your menubar change or was it reset to the default menubar or anything ?
Also is there anything in console relating to SystemUIServer ?

glypht
5th October 2007, 05:25 PM
Great app, but some elements are still not theme-friendly, notably the Date & Time text colour which can't be changed and won't play nice with my black menubar.

Otherwise, top notch!

iSlayer
6th October 2007, 03:14 PM
notably the Date & Time text colour which can't be changed and won't play nice with my black menubar.

THat will be fixed in 1.2 :)

jehrler
30th November 2007, 11:27 PM
Love this! Wow!

Two requests. One, it would be nice if a battery indicator along the lines of SlimBatteryMonitor (i.e. less space than the Apple one) could be added to iStat Menus.

Second, the contrast between Bluetooth on/off is not very great. Would it be possible to have the Bluetooth icon, when off, be more light gray (say like the unused CPU capacity) so that it is easier to tell when it is on and off.

marc
30th November 2007, 11:40 PM
To be honest, there's a chance we might remove the Bluetooth extra soon as the Apple Bluetooth extra in Leopard is really nice. It does a few things that would take some time to add and I'm not sure we could do them much better.

Battery indicator is a strong possibility though.

jehrler
1st December 2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

As for bluetooth, I understand you may 86 it, it is just if you were going to keep it better contrast would be nice.

As for battery, you can *definitely* do much better than Apple. Please.

scokim
1st December 2007, 07:40 AM
Great app, but some elements are still not theme-friendly, notably the Date & Time text colour which can't be changed and won't play nice with my black menubar.

Otherwise, top notch!

I second that. I find that the date and time display could be more intuitive.

e.g. '1 DEC 06 : 05' tends to look like 1st Dec 2006 when it actually refers to 1 Dec this year at 6:05 am.

jehrler
13th December 2007, 01:20 PM
Running under 10.5.1 and the top 5 CPU processes are MIA.

With the preference checked, the menu expands to provide the space where they should be, but it is all black.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Running as non-admin and with FileVault if that makes a difference.

jehrler
19th December 2007, 01:17 PM
*bump*

Anyone else have the top 5 process area be just black?

Is it a non-admin issue?

Leopard 10.5.1

jehrler
19th December 2007, 11:08 PM
*dupe*

Andrew T Chadwick
20th December 2007, 12:43 AM
keep up the good work guys.

jehrler
20th December 2007, 03:19 PM
It appears that the CPU top 5 process is non-functional in a non-admin account as, when I logged into my admin account, it worked perfectly.

tpennycook
25th December 2007, 01:44 AM
I am now also having problems with the top five processes. The reporting of the top five seems to have frozen; a list of processes is shown, but they aren't the current top 5 and are shown as using 0.0% cpu. I have been running 10.5.1 as an admin (2.4ghz MBP) and have been having no problems with the processes up till now. I noticed the problem after installing the latest security update from apple and adobe CS2 yesterday. CS2 does have issues with both 10.5 and intel, but its processes are easy to spot as they are the only thing running made for powerpc on my computer, and they aren't running right now.

tpennycook
25th December 2007, 04:51 AM
reinstalling istat menus has done the trick. everything is working fine again.

cgc
4th January 2008, 09:53 AM
iStat rocks! I do have a suggestion: there was an old program for my Amiga 3000 that allowed me to create a line for my menu arranged in any way using text and variables the program provided. For example, I could write the menu line text like this: "Free mem: %mf, CPU: %ca, Craig was here"

The program would replace the variables %mf and %ca (memory free and cpu all) with the actual values that would update at a specified rate. I liked the freedom it gave me. It'd be nice if iStat had an advanced tab where I could do this.

I would also like to see to the current iStat an option (mode) to show only free memory, not used memory. I set the used memory color to match the menubar color for now... Thanks.

Edit: Just noticed you have the exact functionality I'm looking for in the Dates menu, if that were added to the other areas (e.g. CPU, Memory, Hard Drives, etc.) I'd be in heaven.

jonesmac82
7th January 2008, 02:06 AM
I have been reading the forums and I also keeping having my top 5 processes disappear.

I have a 24" imac 2.16 c2duo os 10.5.1 running istat menus 1.2

For me, the problem occurs everytime the program starts at login or return from sleep. The solution is relatively easy. All I have to do is go to the control panel for istat menus and uncheck and recheck the "show top 5 processes" box and the processes display without a problem until a restart or sleep occurs. Hope this helps.

jellway
7th January 2008, 10:40 AM
Hey guys,

The main thing I use with iStat Menus is the calendar and International time drop down....

What would be really great is if iStat somehow synced it's self with the world clock list on my iPhone?

Maybe iStat can inspect the iPhone backup files on the system somehow and populate it's list based on this saved info?

digital_dreamer
23rd January 2008, 05:39 PM
Running under 10.5.1 and the top 5 CPU processes are MIA.

With the preference checked, the menu expands to provide the space where they should be, but it is all black.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Running as non-admin and with FileVault if that makes a difference.

I've had the same problem. :(
OS 10.5.1

regards,
MAJ

Edit: Well, a uninstall and reinstall fixed the problem. Whoo-hoo!
Turning off the "Top 5 processes" and then back on didn't work for me.
Uninstall appears to leave the Preference pane visible in System Preferences, but it doesn't load when clicked on.

atyeo
27th January 2008, 07:49 AM
Hi, great app classy, but disc activity arrows..

disc read should be up?

then disc write, down arrow..

keep up the good work

simon

d'you remember disk light by norton..

marc
27th January 2008, 05:13 PM
disc read should be up?

then disc write, down arrow..
Isn't that the case now? Should be.

atyeo
31st January 2008, 11:43 PM
Isn't that the case now? Should be.

Actually no, I've checked and they're the wrong way round

Simon

tjcortez
1st February 2008, 03:16 PM
Why isn't the non-blaqua option available for the other menu items besides the date/time module?

Otherwise I love the app.

Foton
2nd February 2008, 05:57 AM
As I've had iStat Menu installed for less than a month, I'd not noticed until today, but with my date/time set to the "2007-12-28, Mon 12:34 AM" custom setting, the day of month will not prepend a 0 for the first nine days of a month. e.g. Today's date is displayed as 2008-02-1, when I want it to be 2008-02-01. Would it be possible to add this option to the date display setup? Better yet, could we optionally specify a date/time format the old-school (strftime) way with %Y-%m-%d and the like?

As a parting aside, I am also missing the top five processes in the CPU monitor. Disabling then re-enabling did not fix it for me.

In all other respects, the application is excellent. I think that I will go donate money right now.

kenjisra
4th February 2008, 08:46 PM
Only one thing, is there any chance to add=set network bandwidth option to istat menus network tab?
I'm using the network monitor in the menu bar, but the graphs looks disproportionately. For example, when I'm downloading full bandwidth, graph takes about half space only.

UberJester
18th February 2008, 02:27 PM
I'll just add my support for giving the option to carry the "standard aqua" skin from the date and time menu to all the other menus. The black menus look out of place compared to everything else in the menu bar when you pull them down.

One small tweak: in the world clock for the standard aqua skin, the night time clock icons should be grey or black-ish, not the light blue to provide a bit more contrast between day and night.

As for an actual functional change: If it isn't too much trouble could you maybe have an option to condense any inactive menus into one icon in the menu bar? Like if I wanted to not have the temperatures on my menu bar all the time, and also didn't want to have the fans but still wanted to be able to check them quickly I could pull down a simple icon and those in active menus would be right there.

Just so you know, iStat menus is usually one of the first things I install on a new system, and is definitely the first thing I "miss" when I use someone else's Mac.

bljpoad
19th February 2008, 05:38 PM
I did a quick and dirty search for this but couldn't find anything, so I am sorry if this has been asked before.

The networking part of iStat menus reports my IP address fine if I am connected to a network via AirPort, but when I am connected via ethernet it does not show up. I have the iStat pro widget installed too but this does not have the same issue (ie with ethernet it reports my IP address fine). Any ideas? I am running the latest version of iStat menus.
- Berwyck

glgray
20th February 2008, 01:04 AM
I did a quick and dirty search for this but couldn't find anything, so I am sorry if this has been asked before.

The networking part of iStat menus reports my IP address fine if I am connected to a network via AirPort, but when I am connected via ethernet it does not show up. I have the iStat pro widget installed too but this does not have the same issue (ie with ethernet it reports my IP address fine). Any ideas? I am running the latest version of iStat menus.
- Berwyck

Interesting. I just checked and I am seeing the same thing. I never noticed that before.

I am running iStat menus under 10.5.2.

-- Gary

dougward
27th February 2008, 02:29 AM
I'd like to second the request for a battery monitor. I just switched from the iStat pro widget to menus and now I need to download something else to replace that lost functionality.

BDog
28th February 2008, 12:20 PM
It would be awesome to have an option for the separator colon in the clock to blink.
The colon would be displayed for the first half of the second, then disappear for the second half.

The colon appearing indicates that it is a new second. :)

pawliger
29th February 2008, 04:53 AM
1) An option to not have the menu items selectable could be useful. My use is to only to view information and it's distracting if the items actually select. It would be useful to have an 'Open iStat Date & Time Prefs..." at the bottom

2) Would love to be able to add new cities to the list of cities to add to the menu

3) Would like to have some visual indication if the time in a city is a day ahead or a day behind my local time.

4) Last one, and it would be a killer feature (IMHO). There is a no-longer-under-developer Dashboard widget called Sol http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/information/sol.html it has a wonderful feature where the clock is displayed as a 24 hr analog dial and the twilight, dusk, daylight and night are shown on the dial to see at a glance what part of the day a particular time represents for that city.

http://images.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/information/images/sol_20071017185025.jpg

iSlayer
29th February 2008, 09:11 AM
1) An option to not have the menu items selectable could be useful. My use is to only to view information and it's distracting if the items actually select. It would be useful to have an 'Open iStat Date & Time Prefs..." at the bottom

On 10.4 we cant because if we dont make them active menu items then then the content automatically gets faded which doesnt look so good.
On 10.5 we can remove the link but the highlight will still be there on hover most likely as we are probably going to have a submenu for each item in 1.4.

2) Would love to be able to add new cities to the list of cities to add to the menu

Will be able too in 1.4 (1.3 is coming first so a couple of months away). We are going to be adding around 500 new cities in 1.4 aswell

3) Would like to have some visual indication if the time in a city is a day ahead or a day behind my local time.

Will look at something like that for 1.4

4) Last one, and it would be a killer feature (IMHO). There is a no-longer-under-developer Dashboard widget called Sol http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/information/sol.html it has a wonderful feature where the clock is displayed as a 24 hr analog dial and the twilight, dusk, daylight and night are shown on the dial to see at a glance what part of the day a particular time represents for that city.

We are already planning to add some sun related info but we were not planning on doing it like that. We might have it as an option though. Again this will be looked at for 1.4

knightwalker
3rd March 2008, 12:03 AM
Hi, iStat menus is causing my mac menu bar options to be greyed out, specifically the drop down menus of airport, battery and spaces. (picture below)
I know that its an istat issue as when i uninstalled it the menu bar was fine... Its pretty irritating cause i can't do simple things like switching wireless connections, etc.
any ideas?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2303906267_88e0d2a003.jpg?v=0

zankty
17th April 2008, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I am missing the connect/disconnect function in the network menu. You have it in the widget not the iStatMenu thought. I think it would be quite useful.

iSlayer
17th April 2008, 09:40 AM
Hi,

I am missing the connect/disconnect function in the network menu. You have it in the widget not the iStatMenu thought. I think it would be quite useful.

They are coming in the next release. They will only be there for 10.5 users though

tabuny
18th April 2008, 08:54 AM
There is a bug in the display of midnight world clocks added to the Date & Time menu when 24-hour time display is selected. Instead of displaying as 00:00 through 00:59, times at midnight show up as 12:00 through 12:59. This only happens on the world clock display; the menu bar clock correctly shows midnight as 00:00. See the screenshot below, where Paris should be showing a time of 00:25.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2011/2422135162_201d607189_o.png

I'm using 10.5.2, iStat Menus 1.21.

iSlayer
18th April 2008, 11:11 AM
That bug will be fixed in the next release aswell

AfterBurner_1
18th April 2008, 11:43 AM
what version are we upto?
i got 4.6

bigmouth
26th April 2008, 07:34 PM
In iStat menus 1.3 beta, everything's OK - except...

The colors of the fonts for say the HD and MEM (which I use) don't change even when you select them - they just revert to black every time.

Not a biggie, but to let you know ISlayer programming persons!

mab
26th April 2008, 09:32 PM
Is It possible to arrange the order of the menus? I prefer the iMenus format for the date but would like to place it next to the the fast user switch like the standard clock is

In fact it would be nice to be able to re-order all of menus to how I'd like them. Is this possible?

Great work

snark
26th April 2008, 09:39 PM
Command-click and drag

mab
26th April 2008, 09:47 PM
Command-click and drag

Thanks; I did not know you could do that.

Thanks again for a tip

xfile80303
1st May 2008, 02:45 AM
Hi all,

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything, so please pardon me if this is a known issue, or if I missed some config somehow, but... I would prefer not to have a leading zero for the hour in the 24 hr clock, yet I see no option to configure that.

If this does not exist, can it please be added as a feature request?

Also, I saw someone post about this, and I'd like to add my support for the request to increase the graph sizes vertically to take up the entire height of the menu bar, ala MenuMeters.

And, "one last thing." I see this has been briefly discussed before as well, but I'm unclear on the outcome... the CPU graph is inconsistent with the Activity Monitor graph in that the User vs. System levels are displayed "backwards" from what is displayed in the Activity Monitor. What's up with that?

Please understand all of these comments are meant as constructive criticism. I have been enjoying iStat Menus and appreciate your efforts!

Thanks,

Levi

yogh
1st May 2008, 10:41 AM
I like being able to control the opacity of the background in the history graphs. Would it be possible for the memory pie graph to control the opacity or at least turn on/off the border? The best I can do currently is find a color close to the color of the menubar, but that changes with my desktop picture (10.5).

Cheers

yogh
1st May 2008, 01:38 PM
I decided to do away with my 4 world clocks on the Dashboard (you know, the ones that use up 50% CPU) and use the iStat Date/Time menu. The one problem is that it can't display the time in analog. I got around it by just showing the calendar icon and leaving the OS X clock next to it, but it's annoying having two different drop down menus, especially when one is black and the other has to be white. Would it be possible to have time displayed in analog?

uofolabrat
13th May 2008, 01:23 AM
HI, a quick note about a problem that I've noticed. There is a process called windowserver that constantly runs at 30% of CPU in the OS X istat dashboard widgets. I haven't found any mention of this in the forum, but isn't this a potential bug? I'm not running a very old machine and this seems to be a very large processor foot print for a widget.

northa
6th June 2008, 02:41 AM
Another vote for a battery monitor. Slim batter monitor is great, but it'd be even better as part of iStatMenu

c8h10n4o2
6th June 2008, 07:41 AM
It would be great to be able to expand the iStat calendar with a keyboard shortcut. It would be even better if this keyboard shortcut was configurable.

rlwimi
6th June 2008, 02:24 PM
Small beef: while I like the new colors available for the icon that displays the day of the month in an icon, I'd like to be able to do away with that icon completely--it is the one thing in that bar that doesn't belong.

marc
6th June 2008, 05:10 PM
Small beef: while I like the new colors available for the icon that displays the day of the month in an icon, I'd like to be able to do away with that icon completely--it is the one thing in that bar that doesn't belong.
Click "edit" under the Date & Time tab. The top right hand of the sheet contains "Mode:" a list menu. Set it to "Text".

Done!

yerfspd
6th June 2008, 10:00 PM
Love this program. It's really awesome. Especially the custom date/time formatting you can do. Except when it doesn't quite keep time. When I have it set up with text/icon showing and use the custom format builder to include seconds, if I click on the menu on the menubar, it will make the time hang too long on the current second, then it keeps going. Experimenting with the clock syncing and date & time menu from Apple, it appears to lose ~1 second every time this happens. The iStat clock is also out of sync in most cases with the Apple clock. I'm on OS X v10.5.3 with a MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz (MacBook3,1).

pmcarrion
7th June 2008, 07:32 AM
I downloaded iStat Menus yesterday and love it!

There are a few extra features I would like to see in the next version of iStat Menus

*** Battery monitor (similar to SlimBatteryMonitor (http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/)) ***

Network menu:
- External IPs
- Location switching (as in NetworkLocation (http://centrix.ca/NetworkLocation/))
- Support for 3G USB modem (http://www.novatelwireless.com/products/ovation/mc950d.html), Bluetooth PAN and Firewire network connections.
- Increase to 2 decimals in throughput meter (KB/kb).
- Obtain IP address from OpenVPN connections (as in YouControl (http://www.yousoftware.com/control/))
- If possible, maybe you can integrate an OpenVPN (http://openvpn.net) client (as in Tunnelblick (http://www.tunnelblick.net)). THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!
- Ability to detect allocated bandwidth from router

Clock menu:
- iCal to-do/events integration with clock menu
- Weather integration in clock menu
- Sun related info in clock
- Ability to add cities

Fan menu:
For some reason I don't get any fan information from my PowerBook G4.

General:
- Default Aqua skin should be available for the other menus as well.
- Option to reset history in the menu (network, CPU, Memory, Disks, etc)

Thanks!

iSlayer
7th June 2008, 05:14 PM
Alot of the things are planned for the future already. Ill post what version we expect it for the ones that are

*** Battery monitor (similar to SlimBatteryMonitor (http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/)) ***
Version 2.0

- External IPs
Version 1.4 or 1.5

- Location switching (as in NetworkLocation (http://centrix.ca/NetworkLocation/))
Version 1.4 - Just the switching bit. No plans for actions on changes or anything more then that yet.

- Support for 3G USB modem (http://www.novatelwireless.com/products/ovation/mc950d.html), Bluetooth PAN and Firewire network connections.
We will do what we can. I'll probably need to get some more info from you in the future to help workout why they dont show up

- Increase to 2 decimals in throughput meter (KB/kb).
Version 1.4 or 1.5

- Obtain IP address from OpenVPN connections (as in YouControl (http://www.yousoftware.com/control/))
Not sure whats required here but we will add it to the list for a future update

- iCal to-do/events integration with clock menu
Probably version 1.5 or 1.6

- Sun related info in clock
Version 1.4 or 1.5 (do let us know exactly what you want to see here)

- Ability to add cities
Version 1.4

For some reason I don't get any fan information from my PowerBook G4.
What model is it ?

- Default Aqua skin should be available for the other menus as well.
Maybe version 2.0 (not certain yet)

pmcarrion
8th June 2008, 04:48 AM
The Mac in question is a Powerbook G4 1.5GHz (mid-2004).

The sun related info I would like to see is: clock in bright from sunrise to sunset and in dark (grayscale) the rest of the hours. It could be difficult to differentiate AM and PM if the day or night last too long. You can get this info here (http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/amsterdam.html).

In order to obtain the external IP address maybe you can get it from a site similar to IP Chicken (http://www.ipchicken.com/). I always go this site to get my external IP address when I don't use YouControl.

Finally, what about the other requests, are they possible?
- Maybe you can integrate an OpenVPN client (as in Tunnelblick). THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!

rmac
9th June 2008, 02:24 PM
feature requests:

- update the Activity Monitor and Network Utility icons
- add aqua menu skins to all menus like Date and Time.

thanks

iSlayer
9th June 2008, 02:33 PM
In order to obtain the external IP address maybe you can get it from a site similar to IP Chicken (http://www.ipchicken.com/). I always go this site to get my external IP address when I don't use YouControl.

We have our own site for that - whatsmyip.islayer.com (http://whatsmyip.islayer.com/). It's easier to work with since is just the ip and no html or anything

Finally, what about the other requests, are they possible?
- Maybe you can integrate an OpenVPN client (as in Tunnelblick). THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!

They are all no's at the moment but that doesnt mean we wont reconsider them once we have finished adding the other things we want first.

iSlayer
9th June 2008, 02:34 PM
- update the Activity Monitor and Network Utility icons
- add aqua menu skins to all menus like Date and Time.

Icons can be done. Aqua skins may happen oneday but not anytime soon

c8h10n4o2
11th June 2008, 05:54 AM
All these features sound great, but what about a keyboard shortcut for the calendar. I would like to be able to hit a key combo (e.g., Ctrl+Option+c) and have the calendar drop down. Also, it would be great if the text in the calendar icon could be made bigger.

Thanks for such a great utility.

Alot of the things are planned for the future already. Ill post what version we expect it for the ones that are

Version 2.0

Version 1.4 or 1.5

Version 1.4 - Just the switching bit. No plans for actions on changes or anything more then that yet.

We will do what we can. I'll probably need to get some more info from you in the future to help workout why they dont show up

Version 1.4 or 1.5

Not sure whats required here but we will add it to the list for a future update

Probably version 1.5 or 1.6

Version 1.4 or 1.5 (do let us know exactly what you want to see here)

Version 1.4

What model is it ?

Maybe version 2.0 (not certain yet)

leoofborg
11th June 2008, 01:15 PM
Hello there ... here's my pet peeve:

In the CPU menuItem, *and* the Memory menuItem, both have Activity Monitor items to launch only... kind of a waste. What I would like to see:

- A UI in the PreferencePane in *each* menuItem so that I can pick up to three Apps that I want to launch from *that* menuItem.

- Maybe a 'drag well' where I can drag and drop things like dragging to LoginItems.. only in this case drag to re-order the items as displayed per menuItem.

- Examples:

-- For CPU I would want Activity Monitor, Console, and Terminal [to kill things the hard way]
-- For Memory I would want Shark, Saturn or maybe some other debug tools at the ready. Or maybe Leopard Cache Cleaner to get rid of that ugly menuItem there... ;-)
-- For Network I would keep what's there, maybe add Terminal [again] or PathAnalyzerPro or iStumbler.
-- For Calendar I would add iCal, iGTD, and iBiz.

It would be nice if this is for 'launch only' that we can add our own relevant tools.

My next beef is the Calendar... I have Graphite as the highlight [via Appearance and in the Prefs..] and the Calendar is.. that BLUE. I understand that Graphite is not that good, but can we at least choose the highlight color ourselves?

As to the compactness of the menus themselves, that's one of the reasons I'm using iStat Menus and not Menumeters [anymore].. or Menu Calendar Clock.. they're too big and childish. At least to me... that, and I like Blaqua.

Thanks for reading...

--Leo

iSlayer
11th June 2008, 01:25 PM
- A UI in the PreferencePane in *each* menuItem so that I can pick up to three Apps that I want to launch from *that* menuItem.

I like that idea. I'll add it to the list.

My next beef is the Calendar... I have Graphite as the highlight [via Appearance and in the Prefs..] and the Calendar is.. that BLUE.

Will fix that aswell

leoofborg
13th June 2008, 10:19 AM
@iSlayer: Thank you... just one more thing:

* Ability to have the Apps above or below the 'meters' .. reason: some of us are remoting into other machines, and the less mouse moves the better.

Thanks... -Leo

CarlJ
13th June 2008, 01:37 PM
iStat Menus is fabulous! I recently converted over from MenuMeters (and just sent in a donation). I've got one really nitpicky request: In the world clock feature, Coordinated Universal Time is represented by the name "UTC, UTC" -- could that be just plain "UTC"? It'd look a lot cleaner. I originally presumed that perhaps the code expected every location name to have a comma, but then in the "Other" section, right next to "UTC, UTC", is "Omicron Persei VIII", with no comma, so it seems like it should be possible...

Thanks!
-- Carl

macaholic
13th June 2008, 01:42 PM
iStat Menus is fabulous!

You got that right.

I'd happily pay for it!

iSlayer
13th June 2008, 02:11 PM
I originally presumed that perhaps the code expected every location name to have a comma, but then in the "Other" section, right next to "UTC, UTC", is "Omicron Persei VIII", with no comma, so it seems like it should be possible...

Yep the code does expect comma's. Omicron Persei VIII is treated differently to every other clock since its completely static. We can fix the comma thing in the next update anyway

gdold
17th June 2008, 04:55 AM
I'll add my plea for the aqua skin!

Moreover, would it be possible to have an option to have the 'Temps' and 'Fan & Power' menus combined? I understand that some people may want them separate, but could there be a choice in the matter, as it uses up valuable menubar space, and I feel that they could be easily combined as they are closely related...

Just my thoughts, and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

forgie
17th June 2008, 03:50 PM
There's a weird rendering bug with the network bit in 1.3:
http://www.users.on.net/~theforge/MTAU/istat_menus_network.png
It looks like the white "embossing" shadow under the green text is down 2 pixels instead of 1, and there is no shadow under the red text.

pmcarrion
18th June 2008, 02:04 AM
Whenever I try to log in to any network service an Internet Connection window appears asking for the connection password. If I use the Apple provided menu, no password is required.

Also, this password request only seems to appear only on a MBP (Intel 2.4GHz) with OS 10.5.3; it doesn't ask for the password on a PowerBook G4 with OS 10.5.2.

See attached pictures
http://pmcarrion.googlepages.com/ConnectwithApplemenu.tiff
http://pmcarrion.googlepages.com/ConnectwithiStatmenu.jpg

-----

iStat Menus crashed after disconnecting from VPN via the Network module.

Crash reporter:

0x7ef000 - 0x7f107b +net.sourceforge.menucracker2 1.4 (6) /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/MenuCracker.menu/Contents/MacOS/MenuCracker
0x1302b000 - 0x1303ffef +com.iSlayer.iStatMenusMemory ??? (1.0) <fd13e8b3a4e31140f623009b897f4ca2> /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/iStatMenusMemory.menu/Contents/MacOS/iStatMenusMemory
0x130bd000 - 0x130cdfef +com.iSlayer.iStatMenusDrives ??? (1.0) <71299970bd6f7d24d35822d3beaf0c5b> /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/iStatMenusDrives.menu/Contents/MacOS/iStatMenusDrives
0x1536b000 - 0x1537cfef +com.iSlayer.iStatMenusCPU ??? (1.0) <ef4ae94e227b58f814c3c22b7894156a> /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/iStatMenusCPU.menu/Contents/MacOS/iStatMenusCPU
0x15386000 - 0x1538affe +com.iSlayer.iStatMenusPrefs ??? (1.3) <940952a0a4f098f97c40c5fc6f9da2a5> /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/iStatMenusCore.bundle/Contents/MacOS/iStatMenusCore
0x153bc000 - 0x153d5fef +com.iSlayer.iStatMenusNetwork ??? (1.0) <435d843bd9bf71b7fed29c5c7ce35e40> /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/iStatMenusNetwork.menu/Contents/MacOS/iStatMenusNetwork
0x15c8c000 - 0x15ca3fff +com.iSlayer.iStatMenusDateAndTimes ??? (1.0) <1f67afbdcc54ab792f1e08a66e22cc1c> /Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/iStatMenusDateAndTimes.menu/Contents/MacOS/iStatMenusDateAndTimes

Console:

6/9/08 11:31:26 PM SystemUIServer[2440]
MenuCracker
see SourceForge.net: MenuCracker (http://sourceforge.net/projects/menucracker)
MenuCracker is now loaded. Ready to accept new menus. Ignore the failure message that follow.
6/9/08 11:31:26 PM SystemUIServer[2440] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded)
6/9/08 11:31:26 PM SystemUIServer[2440] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusCPU'.
6/9/08 11:31:26 PM [0x0-0x13a13a].com.apple.systemuiserver[2440] Mon Jun 9 23:31:26 PMC-MacBook-Pro.local SystemUIServer[2440] <Error>: CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.
6/9/08 11:31:49 PM SystemUIServer[2440] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusMemory'.
6/9/08 11:31:56 PM SystemUIServer[2440] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusDisks'.
6/9/08 11:32:17 PM SystemUIServer[2440] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusNetwork'.
6/9/08 11:33:58 PM SystemUIServer[2440] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusDateAndTimes'.
6/9/08 11:36:01 PM com.apple.launchd[175] ([0x0-0x13a13a].com.apple.systemuiserver[2440]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460]
MenuCracker
MenuCracker is now loaded. Ready to accept new menus. Ignore the failure message that follow.
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Users/PMC/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded)
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusCPU'.
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusMemory'.
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusDisks'.
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusNetwork'.
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM SystemUIServer[2460] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusDateAndTimes'.
6/9/08 11:36:02 PM [0x0-0x13d13d].com.apple.systemuiserver[2460] Mon Jun 9 23:36:02 PMC-MacBook-Pro.local SystemUIServer[2460] <Error>: CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.

rleitzell
18th June 2008, 09:51 AM
Hello,
iStat menus is a wonderful little addition to me computer, but I've run into an annoying bug a few times that I haven't seen posted. I do most of my work from a wacom tablet, and I've noticed that, very occasionally, I'll click on one of the menu items (it just happened with the cpu tab, not sure about the rest) and it will refuse to disappear. Every time I click away from it, the menu item re-"clicks" itself, and flashes off-on. To be clear, it's not just that the menu stays displayed once I've clicked off of it, it's that it actually stops me from doing anything else on the computer. I can get away from it, but it's not easy. Usually some mash clicking of mouse and wacom pen will do it, but it does hang for at least 10-20 seconds before going away. Afterward, everything will continue to run smoothly. Running 10.5.2 on a 2x2ghz Mac Pro.
Thanks!
Rob

rezik
21st June 2008, 06:29 AM
Hello,
iStat menus is a wonderful little addition to me computer, but I've run into an annoying bug a few times that I haven't seen posted. I do most of my work from a wacom tablet, and I've noticed that, very occasionally, I'll click on one of the menu items (it just happened with the cpu tab, not sure about the rest) and it will refuse to disappear. Every time I click away from it, the menu item re-"clicks" itself, and flashes off-on. To be clear, it's not just that the menu stays displayed once I've clicked off of it, it's that it actually stops me from doing anything else on the computer. I can get away from it, but it's not easy. Usually some mash clicking of mouse and wacom pen will do it, but it does hang for at least 10-20 seconds before going away. Afterward, everything will continue to run smoothly. Running 10.5.2 on a 2x2ghz Mac Pro.
Thanks!
Rob

I want to confirm that this is indeed a bug. I also use a Wacom tablet and I've been experiencing the same symptoms as mentioned above, so I assume it has some relation to the tablet driver. For me, it happens most often with the memory menu item, but that's probably because I click that one more than any other. Besides this minor annoyance, iStat menus has worked great for me. Many thanks to the developer for creating and maintaining a useful, reliable, and aesthetically pleasing freeware app! Keep up the great work.

notausername
22nd June 2008, 06:31 AM
Would it be possible in a future release to add an option to display both the percentage or used/free in addition to the activity arrows on the hard drive indicator? I want to know how full my HD is without losing track of what's happening on it.

Jaali
22nd June 2008, 08:46 PM
I haven't read this whole post, so pls forgive if its already been asked.

I find the little Calender Icon annoying, and it would be good to be able to not have it? Is this possible?

darmok
25th June 2008, 10:29 AM
When iStat Menus loads, I'm seeing this in console:

2008-06-24 20:10:13.535 SystemUIServer[192]
MenuCracker
2008-06-24 20:10:14.109 SystemUIServer[192] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Users/dan/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded)
2008-06-24 20:10:21.669 SystemUIServer[192] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusDateAndTimes'.
2008-06-24 20:10:24.860 SystemUIServer[192] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusCPU'.
2008-06-24 20:10:26.839 SystemUIServer[192] MenuCracker: Loading 'iStatMenusNetwork'.
Jun 24 20:10:28 dans-smurftower /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.

The stack underflow should NOT be happening...

SnapJack
26th June 2008, 04:30 AM
I really like your program and much prefer your calendar to others however I'm so use to having it at the far right side. I would be nice to be able to reorder your menus. I don't have a problem with the icon either, again I'm use to it.

Jaali
26th June 2008, 01:14 PM
I really like your program and much prefer your calendar to others however I'm so use to having it at the far right side. I would be nice to be able to reorder your menus. I don't have a problem with the icon either, again I'm use to it.

I believe you can re-order them by Cmd-Dragging.

marc
26th June 2008, 04:45 PM
It's also the first thing mentioned in the iStat menus manual:
iSlayer.com (http://islayer.com/support/?p=30)

;)

jehrler
7th August 2008, 10:52 AM
I am using Airport on my MacBook running 10.5.4 (though it has been happening in all versions of Leopard).

My problem is that the Network Graph will stop showing any activity. The activity will be occurring (the drop down menu shows the correct kbs in and out) but the graph is flat lined.

I have to turn that part of iStat menus on and off and then it pops back to life. Unfortunately, it now is no longer in the same position on the menubar.

I have to do this at least once every day or so.

Am I the only one?

Misplaced Mage
29th August 2008, 06:05 PM
Since Comcast here has officially announced bandwidth caps, I'd like to put in a request for cumulative bandwidth monitoring across system restarts, with the ability for it to automatically reset on a user-specified date of the month. I'd also like to see some additional statistics (average daily bandwidth up/down/down+up, amount up/down/down+up remaining in monthly allowance), but they require cumulative bandwidth tracking first.

glgray
29th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Since Comcast here has officially announced bandwidth caps, I'd like to put in a request for cumulative bandwidth monitoring across system restarts, with the ability for it to automatically reset on a user-specified date of the month. I'd also like to see some additional statistics (average daily bandwidth up/down/down+up, amount up/down/down+up remaining in monthly allowance), but they require cumulative bandwidth tracking first.

That is a good idea, except that I stream music wirelessly to several AirPort Express base stations (this ends up being in the 10s to 100s of GBs per month for me), so it would be important to differentiate that local traffic from traffic coming and going through my cable modem. In addition, how would one differentiate between wireless data at home and wireless data sent and received when not at home.

Sounds like a tough thing to do.

Misplaced Mage
1st September 2008, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't be that big of a deal, since your wireless LAN routers should all be running on the same subnet (like 10.x.x.x). One would only worry about packets directed to, or originating from IP addresses outside the subnet.

marc
4th September 2008, 12:19 PM
I think it's unlikely we'll add the kind of features required for proper ISP usage monitoring soon. Not ruling it out for the future, but chances are we'll never be as accurate as viewing the usage from your account info on your ISP's web site.

macsolu
23rd September 2008, 04:10 PM
Seems that Mac OS X 10.5.5 has mucked up iStat Menus in at least one particular way: the "Show top 5 processes" for CPU and Memory no longer works. There's just a empty space where the processes should be showing when I click on the CPU or Memory menu items. Everything worked fine in 10.5.4. Other users please confirm!

sth
26th September 2008, 02:48 AM
Having looked through this forum I don't see an answer to what should be simple.

Is there a way to install iStat Menus for all users on a system? I tried to move the preferences bundel to /Library/Preferences, I moved the Application Support folder to the global /Library/Application Support. I edited the launchd.plist to launch the correct process server which is running. But the preferences gives me a blank or refuses to load.

Mac OSX 10.5.5 and Mac OSX 10.4.11

thebiglebowski
4th October 2008, 03:55 AM
Hi,

I just had to switch back to 1.2. I just can't use 1.3 in Leopard 10.5.4 on a Macbook Pro. When you click the memory menu both iStat and Finder go wicked crazy. The menu starts blinking and doesnt want to go away. I cant click on any pull down menu in any current application, only keyboard shortcuts work. I can't force-quit anything because I can't go to the Apple menu - it just blinks when you click on it. If the dock is set to automatically hide/show - it does not show up anymore.
Sometimes this crazyness stops after few minutes, sometimes I just have to restart the computer.

Maybe there's a fix for this behavior? I've tried a fresh install, but no luck.

Thanks,
Michal

JustWantToRead
23rd October 2008, 09:59 AM
Iam using hackintosh, my network card is nForce4 lan, and your utility dont show network iformation (up/down). But Stat network at tab Network can show me network information. Can you insert data that show iStat network to iStatMenu.
Thank a lot, sorry for my english.
p.s. Speedstat 2, iStat network work.

marc
24th October 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry, but we don't test on or support hackintoshes.

JustWantToRead
24th October 2008, 07:44 PM
Can you put some code from iStat Network to iStat Menis. Cuz that will be work for all macs, hackintosh.

marc
24th October 2008, 09:24 PM
The code in iStat menus is the latest code we have. It supports the widest variety of legitimate Macs of all the products we have.

Sorry, but we don't support hackintoshes.

JustWantToRead
24th October 2008, 10:46 PM
Look at screenshot. iStat menus and iStat network. Its cant be same code. Because they get statistics in diferent mode.
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/081024/ZT26gysXWW.png

Miisch
28th October 2008, 11:38 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add the same great look and design of ORGANIZED also to the calendar in istat menus. THANK YOU!!

Jaali
29th October 2008, 02:30 AM
Look at screenshot. iStat menus and iStat network. Its cant be same code. Because they get statistics in diferent mode.

Just not sure that you are fully grasping the concept that they don't support Hackintosh's

strider72
29th October 2008, 04:07 AM
Do you support Hac... nevermind.

Hi -- I'm using iStat Menus for two things: The date and CPU tracking.

In the Date/Time display setup, it would be nice if there were some way to include the blinking ':' in the time. (blinks each second, as the OS standard time can do). Maybe you could make a blinking colon part of the drag & drop string setup?

Second request: In the CPU tracking, you list User/System/Nice/Idle above the rolling graph showing the same. Could you color code the text so it matches the graph?

Thanks for a nice app. It's amazing that people don't make a simple drop-down calendar like this. Actually, it's amazing that APPLE doesn't make a simple drop-down calendar....

JustWantToRead
29th October 2008, 06:08 AM
Just not sure that you are fully grasping the concept that they don't support Hackintosh's
I post this screenshot to show developers that codeof trafficdemon(?) or getting traffic information in this 2 apllicationes is different

macsolu
29th October 2008, 01:35 PM
Seems that Mac OS X 10.5.5 has mucked up iStat Menus in at least one particular way: the "Show top 5 processes" for CPU and Memory no longer works. There's just a empty space where the processes should be showing when I click on the CPU or Memory menu items. Everything worked fine in 10.5.4. Other users please confirm!

It's been more than a month with NO reply from the developer(s) -- please respond!

sth
5th November 2008, 07:06 AM
It's been more than a month with NO reply from the developer(s) -- please respond!

Top 5 processes still work for me for both memory and CPU. OSX 10.5.5, G5

But it seems I still have to install istat menus for every user on a system individually. There must be a way around this problem.

Aznracer
11th November 2008, 04:16 PM
Can you guys add uptime support in the menu bar? Also can you guys please add support for acquiring temp sensors from MSR Tools? Thanks. :D

kaz219
14th November 2008, 09:50 PM
Hello,

a great feature would be automatically adjusting the network graph scale when a peak "leaves" the graph.

Let say, I habe normally upload of 50KB/s at home, but at work I achieve 7MB. Since I never reboot my laptop when I don't have to, at home the upload graph seems flat, whereas the numbers next to it tell me I am actually uploading.

Activity Monitor does that for the network graph.

Greetings,

JackJack
16th November 2008, 05:48 PM
Hi, downloaded iStat Menus while back...and tonight everything is gone. I tried rebooting several times but nothing...so, try to update but still nothing. I went into the pref, and when clicked on the pref iStat menus everything hangs.

Any suggestion?

thank you.

yugenro
18th November 2008, 04:27 AM
Yeah, my iStat Menus just stopped being able to load, too, yesterday. It was after the latest Apple Software Update-- the "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update v2.3", "Safari v 3.2", and iPhoto Update 7.1.5"...

I MISS MY iStat Menus!!!!!!!!

tcn33
16th December 2008, 02:16 PM
Any chance of adding a Displays item? I think you could do it better and less obtrusively than the standard Apple one...