PDA

View Full Version : Enable PowerBook trackpad scrolling!

bender
11th February 2005, 09:59 PM
Well, it appears all the people who bought PowerBooks and iBooks pre-2005 before the new models can enable trackpad scrolling through the use of a special driver.

I've enabled it on my PowerBook 15" 1.5Ghz, which I bought 3 months ago and it works a treat! Here's the link. (http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/)

king89
11th February 2005, 10:12 PM
Does this driver override the side track driver?
does it replace its functionality, especially hot corners?

bender
11th February 2005, 10:24 PM
The article stresses to uninstall Sidetrack before installing the driver, so I'd say it affects it. I've never personally used Sidetrack.

Ozi
11th February 2005, 10:31 PM
YAY! It works!

Thanks to Gelfie, jamesn and zendagger/Matreya for their help via the IRC channel when i realised how utterly clueless I am with Terminal. No thanks go to Brains, who suggested : "Ozi, follow your instincts. Delete Terminal.app :)"

Anyways, this is cool... one less thing new powerbook owners can brag about. :)

funkmaster_dan
11th February 2005, 10:43 PM
Woot! No more side track nagging for me :D

Edit: Installed it on my iBook last night and it works a treat! It feels so cool scrolling around a webpage in a tiny window. B)

Rayd
12th February 2005, 01:29 AM
woah this is amazing! FIND OF THE YEAR! accept i loved how on sidetrack i made the top right corner tap the right mouse button... but oh well so cooool!

suryo
12th February 2005, 06:30 AM
Poo. Doesn't work on my clamshell. Oh well.

hawker
12th February 2005, 08:25 AM
My Logitech MX 900 Bluetooth mouse says :P

Nah, I might give it ago. Anyone installed it on a 12" 1.33ghz Powerbook yet?

Wickesy
12th February 2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 12 2005, 08:25 AM
Anyone installed it on a 12" 1.33ghz Powerbook yet?
Yup, just tried it on mine. I had SideTrack installed previously and initially mine didn't report the "W Enhanced Trackpad" support as, despite my uninstalling it, there was still a SideTrack daemon running.

After I'd got rid of that, it reported the support and installed fine. The two-fingered scrolling works, as bender said, a treat.

Many thanks to the author and the guy who pointed us towards it!

notb4dinner
12th February 2005, 09:50 AM
Just installed it on my Rev C 12", it works fine.

Rayd
12th February 2005, 10:07 AM
btw: i installed it on a 1ghz iBook G4 12"

moo
12th February 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 12 2005, 08:25 AM
My Logitech MX 900 Bluetooth mouse says :P

so does my Radtech bluetooth mouse Hawker ;)

the_OM
12th February 2005, 10:50 AM
installed on my 1ghz 15'' albook.
Works perfectly fine.

Buthidae
12th February 2005, 11:06 AM
I had installed it on my 1GHz 15" AlBook

It worked fine (although if I enabled both scroll methods it got a bit confused), but i missed my trackpad tap shortcuts! :-) (and i'm too used to side-scrolling)

back to sidetrack!

Wickesy
12th February 2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Buthidae@Feb 12 2005, 11:06 AM
It worked fine (although if I enabled both scroll methods it got a bit confused)
My friend had the same complaint when he installed it. I only installed the X/Y version as I knew I'd not make use of the circular motion and feared it would be more likely to mess up my browsing experience.

I found SideTrack side scrolling to be... unreliable. I liked SideTrack initially and loved having an Exposť hotspot but intermittent problems such as side-scrolling not working and the pointer getting "stuck" proved too irritating for me to stick with. Good product, just not something that suited me.

This two fingered scrolling, however, is thus far proving to be just what I needed/wanted.

macintoshrules
12th February 2005, 01:11 PM
Got it working, I just needed to remove OutpostADBMouse from System/Library/Extensions. Is that part of sidetrack?

And now that I have it working, is it using a different acceleration curve? I feel un-coordinated using the trackpad now...

macintoshrules
12th February 2005, 01:13 PM
Or is it part of FingaMIDI, FingaMidi doesn't work now.

tempestas
12th February 2005, 03:19 PM
works on my rev a G4 1Ghz iBook. Way kewl

fompsweeva
12th February 2005, 05:59 PM
It works for me, but in firefox if I move my fingers to the side even slightly it goes forward/back pages. Annoying!

notb4dinner
12th February 2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Feb 12 2005, 05:59 PM
It works for me, but in firefox if I move my fingers to the side even slightly it goes forward/back pages. Annoying!
If your up for it you could download the source, open the file AppleADBMouse.h, change the line '#define SCROLL_THRESH_Y 2' to '#define SCROLL_THRESH_Y 4' (or some other number) and then follow the instructions on the site to compile the code. That would *probably* solve your problem.

downsys
12th February 2005, 08:46 PM
all this funny talk is making me dizzy :huh: . i can't make it work, nor do i know how to install it. help please? (i've read the read me but didn't understand a thing he said)

Buthidae
12th February 2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by downsys@Feb 12 2005, 08:46 PM
all this funny talk is making me dizzy :huh: . i can't make it work, nor do i know how to install it. help please? (i've read the read me but didn't understand a thing he said)
My advice is, if you don't understand it, don't play with it.

You do not want to break your trackpad driver :)

Rayd
12th February 2005, 11:05 PM
the easiest way to do it is to just download the already made .kext file and type in terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel ~/Desktop/AppleADBMouse.kext

MAKE SURE THE DOWNLOADED FILE IS UN-ZIPPED AND IS SITTING ON DESKTOP BEFORE PUTTING THAT IN TERMINAL! :)

anyway then type in password, replace the old with the new and you good to go... BACKUP ORIGINAL just in case :)

DVD Plaza
12th February 2005, 11:28 PM
Awesome, will have to give this a go!

zefi
13th February 2005, 12:42 AM
I had problems with the driver, I might be an exception or something. I followed the instructions and it worked fine. But there were times when the trackpad became 'stuck' and the cursor would not follow my movements at all. After a restart, the drivers failed to load.

So I had to repair my permissions, replace the original .kext file and do without the trackpad scrolling. So just a little reminder to be wary.

thanks for the heads up, was an interesting experience.

bender
13th February 2005, 10:15 AM
Did you run the command to check if your trackpad has "Enchanced Features?" If not, you may have experienced problems. Also, the drivers are designed to uninstall themselves at next reboot, there is another command that installs them permanently.

Sorry to hear you had trouble :unsure:

macintoshrules
13th February 2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Buthidae@Feb 12 2005, 08:38 PM
My advice is, if you don't understand it, don't play with it.

You do not want to break your trackpad driver :)
If you have no trackpad driver loaded and touch the trackpad... instant kernel panic!

But you can use an external mouse though.

zefi
13th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by bender@Feb 13 2005, 10:15 AM
Did you run the command to check if your trackpad has "Enchanced Features?" If not, you may have experienced problems. Also, the drivers are designed to uninstall themselves at next reboot, there is another command that installs them permanently.

Sorry to hear you had trouble :unsure:
It's not your fault that I had troubles. Yes, I followed the instructions to the 'T'. I did the permanent install, but I don't think I modified the permissions properly; which is why it failed to load after reboot.

It's nice and all, but that momentary lapse of functionality is not worth it in my opinion. I'll just stick to what I've got. It is a great find, and I'm glad some people have it happening on their portables.

xiaubauu
14th February 2005, 11:31 AM
The link doesn't seem to work for me? Is there any other link to download that file?

Thank you.