PDA

View Full Version : iMac CRT slot 350 upgrade options?

rockinrobstar
25th March 2004, 09:51 PM
I recently bought a iMac 350 slot at an auction and am glad to be finally be able to get into the world or Mac OS X.

However, for one - I need more RAM - i went from the sluggish 128 Mb to bearable 192 Mb - but I want to know what is the absolute maximum that I can put into it (looking on some sites it says 2x256Mb but has a * that indicates it may be capable of more if larger RAM chips become avaliable (which they have) ). So could I say get 2x 512 mb sticks and put in it ?

The other upgrade option I would like to investigate is, is it possible to get firewire put onboard somehow (like with a motherboard mod or something).

Thanks in Advance

Gothikon
26th March 2004, 06:44 AM
There were upgrades for the 233 -> 333 which gave you a g4 and a firewire port, I think they wre from sonnet. However I'm not sure what there is for the 350 model.

www.macsales.com have a cool upgrade checker on their site, you select your model and it tells you pretty much everything you can upgrade. (however they didn't show anything for your model)

I did find this though http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=1984 might lead you to some more.

I don' know bout the RAM, a programe like mactracker might be able to tell you (up to date specs of every Apple product.) I suspect a single 512 MB stick would work, it would also be less hassle because sourcing double sided 256 MB sticks can be difficult.

LCGuy
26th March 2004, 11:27 AM
According to Apple, you can take it up to 1GB of RAM.

As for FireWire, your only choice is an upgrade to another mobo that has FireWire, such as an iMac DV/400. Another advantage of this is that you're also getting a speedboost, as the FireWire mobos have faster processors, and sometimes better graphics chips.

kim jong il
30th March 2004, 04:20 PM
EDIT ignore this first paragraph it is WRONG. The kihei motherboard quite happily talks to 512 MB simms (memorex lifetime guarantee). Currawong mentions elsewhere that lifetime guarantee RAM rarely has any kind of compatability issues.

EDIT this paragraph is wrong

Before you do anything silly like buying 2x512 simms, think again. Various sites do say that these machines would be upgradeable to 1GB RAM (2x512). This was originaly based on the expectation that a particular type of RAM technology would be implemented. Sadly it was not. So while in theory the machine can address 1024MB in reality it cannot address a simm larger than 256 MB and you have only two slots. YOU ARE RESTRICTED to 512 MB. (I will need proof to be corrected on this).

EDIT Radar provided proof. I was WRONG about the RAM. See below

The upside is that anything from 384 to 1024 (768 MB) :) and OS 10.3.3 you will love it. OS 10.3.3 will run in 192 MB but do not consider running more than safari and mail simultaneously, you may even get it to crash. Once system resources are maxed performance plummets.

There is a US crowd that have started operations in Australia doing upgrades on these machines. I believe you can upgrade to a G4 400? for around $350 (working motherboard changeover and 2 weeks) + shipping I guess.
EDIT: this is a genuine upgrade not just some other MB and I believe, when they are done you may well have a firewire plug hanging off the upgraded board

If you, or anyone else, is interested in this I will post the URL (which I will have to chase up) and you can read some more info. Just PM me or post in this forum.

cheers, kim

mhollis
2nd April 2004, 12:33 AM
I believe I shall respectfully disagree with Kim Jong Il regarding the RAM upgrade. I recall that, in the US, Mac Addict magazine did a show-and-tell on how to upgrade RAM in both of an iMac's slots (the outer one is the only one Apple figured most users would touch). The issue is whether or not the RAM will fit the slot. I believe you should be able to upgrade the Mac to 1G.

Lastly, you can find instructions and a review on how to upgrade your iMac to a G4 processor here. (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/iMac_G4/)

Currawong
2nd April 2004, 09:08 AM
Personally, I'd upgrade the RAM to at least 512mb. If you're thinking of spending more money, I'd start looking at second-hand G4's or LCD iMacs. I just missed nabbing an original 700mhz LCD iMac i could have resold for less than $1k. DAMN! ... but that gives you an idea where money is worth spending specially as eMacs are under $1.5k now.

kim jong il
2nd April 2004, 12:50 PM
Arghhh. Again...

OK, you'll love this (esp mark) the G4 upgrade is a G4 500 from http://www.technowarehousellc.com/g4upforslloi.htm (cannot seem to find the australian page from this link so try the one below first) OR none other than the new face of the former newer technolgy mentioned by mhollis, although this article refers to earlier rev A imacs as do elaborate instructions for RAM upgrades. RAM upgrades on the machine in question are ridiculously simple. At the moment the scheme extends to australia on slot loading imacs (kihei MB/rev 5 equivalent). The (350) or, the one without firewire is NOT included for Australian customers for some peculiar reason http://www.technowarehousellc.com/ing4upauon3a.html The cost (after rebate) is $339 AU plus the the cost of shipping your working mother board to them (in the US??)

So, someone else does the upgrade with firewire upgrade included. More digging. As for the cost it sounds almost attractive. I could turn my el cheapo DV 400 into a, still, cheap G4 500.

OK, the RAM. I found some info at this spot http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac...erformance.html (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq/technical_performance.html) (OK I've never mucked around with hiding URLs). It DOES say 1 GB on the Kihei MB. I do believe I could be reporting test results by saturday night

EDIT (sunday): See posts below for the RAM results (all good)

cheers, kim

Radar
2nd April 2004, 02:03 PM
Limited to only 512MB of RAM on a slot loading 350Mhz iMac? I think not. Look at this attached diagram, which I just took then. I'm running a Blueberry 350Mhz slot loading, and have had upto a gig of RAM running in it at once. It worked fine.

As for other upgrades, well, I haven't done any other than whacking a new HDD in, and whacking an airport card in. On that note, if you are after an airport setup with adapter for your iMac, let me know, as I'm selling mine.

kim jong il
3rd April 2004, 07:44 AM
A beautiful demonstration of just how wrong I can be.

EDIT: about this mac now (one of mine that is): (new HD, startup currently called partition X. looking for a new despot) imac DV400 G3 750 768 MB SDRAM :) GO RADAR

cheers, kim

elvis
5th April 2004, 08:43 PM
Your iMac on lowendmac (one of my favourite old Mac sites):
http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/blue.shtml

Sonnet style upgrades (ie: new board and CPU) are definitely NOT cheap. Expect to pay upwards of AU $600 for those puppies. I considered the same when I got my original iMac-333, but seeing as it cost me $270 almost 2 years ago, $600 today for an upgrade is silly when I can just save for an iBook instead. Try some cheaper upgrades:

OSX loves RAM. The more the merrier. You can start simply by chucking as much RAM at the machine as possible. My Revision D unit only takes SO-DIMMs (laptop RAM) which is a pain as they're expensive. Your Kihei uses SDRAM which is plentiful, cheap, and readily availble second hand in large quantities. Anyone with an old PII/PIII system should have heaps of SDRAM lying about, so ask a mate if you can borrow some to test how compatable your system is with it. I've found certain RAM is okay in Macs, and other RAM just plain won't work. Always test before buying!

I've got 256MB (2x128) in my Rev D (default was 64MB - 2x32). OSX 10.2 and up won't even install with 128 or less. Unfortunately I can't find a single 256MB SO-DIMM stick that will work in my unit, which is where the SDRAM DIMM approach of the Kihei makes your life far easier.

Make sure you get at least PC100 RAM (the Kihei has a 100MHz FSB).

Secondly (as mentioned) get a new hard disk. iMacs use standard Parallel ATA hard disks. Most iMacs used cheap and nasty Western Digital 3400RPM drives. Whack a 7200RPM drive with an 8MB buffer in your iMac and watch it load up faster than ever before!

And lastly if you've got a big pair and don't mind the idea of frying your Mac, overclocking is an option. You'll need a steady hand and a soldering iron. Not for the feint of heart! :)

kim jong il
6th April 2004, 06:30 AM
Elvis has a really good point. Thats one thing I noticed very early on. Get rid of the old slow drive and chuck in a new one. A 7200? rpm drive (with just the standard 2 MB buffer) improved benchmark test scores by over 15% for me. (and this was overall system performance not just disk performance alone).

And what? 80 GB drives are around $80 to $90 now. Almost pocket money.

EDIT: PS If you are on a limited budget and the imac 350 came with a 4 GB? drive??. I have the 13 GB (5400 rpm?/ Apple quantum) drive from my DV 400 (not in mint condition but it works OK) that would be free to a good home. You just maybe wouldn't want to entrust anything (important data) too special to it at this stage of its life.

cheers, kim

the_argon
6th April 2004, 08:42 AM
I would definately reccommed the 256MB+ of RAM and a new HDD.

I just put a Western Digital 80GB JB Series hard disk in my DV+ and it works great :)

Stay tuned for an article on howto upgrade your iMac's HD for anyone who's interested.

kim jong il
26th April 2004, 12:27 AM
taking this puppy from 350 MHz to 400 MHz requires just one surface mount resistor to be moved. My experience was, after preparation, 15 minutes to reassembly and a screen focus tune-up thrown in for good measure.

I'll post the kim jong il clockchip comedy in the appropriate thread and then chuck in a link to here