PDA

View Full Version : WACOM Tablet

soferfam
11th February 2005, 04:26 PM
I recently moved to a Powerbook G4 from a Windows Tablet PC. I have RSI, so am looking to make life easier.

As regards the WACOM USB graphics tablet:

1. Has anyone successfully used it with a Powerbook to replace the mouse by using the tablet pen to complement Viavoice?

2. Does the digitiser include sw/does anyone know of sw that I can use with apps like Office 2004, Entourage, etc to do handwriting to text conversion (write on tablet and it is converted to text in Word/Entourage)?

3. How effective is the inking facility for eg. marking up documents/Powerpoint presentations/signing emails?

4. What do you find as the best size for the above (Graphite3 4x5 or 6x8) or (Intuos3 4x5 or 6x8)

Thanks a stack in advance as I don't want to spend money on something that won't work as expected. Appreciate the help for anyone who has some knowledge.

Robin

bernie234
11th February 2005, 05:00 PM
I use a Wacom Intuos 3 6 x 8 on a 12in ibook without any worries, works just fine with Photoshop, so should work OK with other programs ........

kit
11th February 2005, 06:13 PM
1. Has anyone successfully used it with a Powerbook to replace the mouse by using the tablet pen to complement Viavoice?

Never used it in Viavoice, but I use it on my PowerBook all the time.

2. Does the digitiser include sw/does anyone know of sw that I can use with apps like Office 2004, Entourage, etc to do handwriting to text conversion (write on tablet and it is converted to text in Word/Entourage)?

Apple's 'Ink' allows you to use system-wide controls. Based on the Newton handwriting recognition, methinks.

Not really reliable enough in my use to use for actual essays or anything, but usable enough.

3. How effective is the inking facility for eg. marking up documents/Powerpoint presentations/signing emails?

Depends how good you are with tablets in general. I've never seen a tablet used for document mark up with Ink. I don't even know how one would accomplish this without some sort of Stickies-like program which just took in handwriting (which Stickies ought to do :()

4. What do you find as the best size for the above (Graphite3 4x5 or 6x8) or (Intuos3 4x5 or 6x8)

Mine is a Graphite2 4x5. It's admittedly very small, and I would have liked a bigger one personally (having come from a much larger one in OS 9 and on PCs too).

Get the best one you can afford, as long as it's a WACOM. Other brands are abysmal at sensitivity control, and are just not worth your time nor money. A tiny WACOM is (and was for me) an upgrade from a large no-name one.

symean
14th February 2005, 10:39 AM
I use a Wacom 9x12 tablet, you can pretty much completely replace your mouse & keyboard with one of these. First of all the tablet will take over operation of your mouse, so any app that can use your mouse can use the tablet. This includes clicking, double-clicking, triple-clicking, drag-and-drop, and selecting text/areas. The only compatibility issues exist where you also want to use the other features of the tablet, like pressure sensitivity, direction of the pen, etc. In that case the application needs to specifically support it. Wacom tablets come with Painter, which support all the tablet functions, plus Photoshop supports them as well. In most other apps you don't really need them.

Using Apple's support for writing using the tablet is also great. I can't remember what Apple calls it, but if you have a Wacom tablet plugged in an extra System Preference pane appears, that lets you write, using the tablet, anywhere on the screen. When you start to write, a notepad appears and expands to cover your scribbles. When you finish, it disappears, and the writing is converted to text, in whatever window your cursor is in. Again, this is a system-wide feature, it doesn't have to be supported by the application. If it supports your mouse, and basic cut-copy-paste, it will work.

Cheers :)

soferfam
14th February 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks all. I bought a Wacom Graphire3 6 x 8 Saturday. Mouse-related functions work great. Text recognition is meodcre. I'm finding it extremely difficult to write on the side tablet and have the text conversion done effectively. Probably just practise..... Robin

vid
23rd March 2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by soferfam@Feb 14 2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks all. I bought a Wacom Graphire3 6 x 8 Saturday. Mouse-related functions work great. Text recognition is meodcre. I'm finding it extremely difficult to write on the side tablet and have the text conversion done effectively. Probably just practise..... Robin
Hi Robin,
I was looking at your post and wondered how your doing with your tablet, from time to time I have the need to edit many images (crop out the background), I do this in Photoshop usually using the Polygonal Lasso tool, depending on the product it can be easy or a real pain.
Do you think the tablet would make this easier?
This might be a long shot but is there a tablet that acts like another screen (mirroring it I guess) so you can edit looking at, and working ON the tablet?

Thanks

konni
23rd March 2005, 02:00 PM
This might be a long shot but is there a tablet that acts like another screen (mirroring it I guess) so you can edit looking at, and working ON the tablet?

Vid... that would be great - but I haven't heard of anything like that.

This is timely, I was about to post for advice on whether to buy the 4x5 or 6x8 Graphire3 - mainly for freeform sketching. Any opinions would be useful.

I've had an Intuos 6 x 8 for about 4 years - still going strong. I got it to make masking and deep etching easier (which it does). Previously I had a 12 x 18(?) but it was too cumbersome.

I&#39;ve gone back to using the mouse to deep etch (because my daughter seems to own the Intuos now <_< - hence I need the Graphire). Sometimes I use the pen-tool (pShop), most of the time I zoom in to about 400% and use the lasso (steady hand) and then hold down the Option-Key to gain access to Polygon Lasso - this is good because if I go outside the window it scrolls the window for me and I don&#39;t lose the marquis.

vid
23rd March 2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by konni@Mar 23 2005, 02:30 PM
Vid... that would be great - but I haven&#39;t heard of anything like that.

This is timely, I was about to post for advice on whether to buy the 4x5 or 6x8 Graphire3 - mainly for freeform sketching. Any opinions would be useful.

I&#39;ve had an Intuos 6 x 8 for about 4 years - still going strong. I got it to make masking and deep etching easier (which it does). Previously I had a 12 x 18(?) but it was too cumbersome.

I&#39;ve gone back to using the mouse to deep etch (because my daughter seems to own the Intuos now <_< - hence I need the Graphire). Sometimes I use the pen-tool (pShop), most of the time I zoom in to about 400% and use the lasso (steady hand) and then hold down the Option-Key to gain access to Polygon Lasso - this is good because if I go outside the window it scrolls the window for me and I don&#39;t lose the marquis.
Thanks Konni,
It sounds like a tablet is easier that a mouse for cropping etc, maybe just a matter of getting used to it.
I think I&#39;ll go to a store and see if I can have a play with one and see what I think.

Thanks Again.

mitch85
24th March 2005, 02:23 AM
wacom have a product called cintiq which does this but its very expensive&#33;&#33;
wacom cintiq (http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm)

kit
29th March 2005, 10:12 AM
WACOM Cintiqs are just gorgeous.

Without flaw, really.

PeterPE
30th March 2005, 01:46 PM
My Intuos3 12" x 9" tablet just arrived at the front door. Unfortunately, the Intuos3 mouse and Intuos3 airbrush didn&#39;t arrive and are on backorder.

All those programmable "ExpressKey" buttons and "TouchStrips" on the tablet are going to be very very handy. What I was especially looking forward to using is the bundled "Corel Painter Essentials 2" software.

:thumbup: :D :thumbup:

uncyherb
30th March 2005, 02:24 PM
I&#39;ve got a 9x13 Intuos 3.... but I&#39;d never use it for handwriting&#33; I can touch type well enough that to be faster than handwriting recognition & spelling correction combined.