PDA

View Full Version : Abiword for OS X released

Currawong
25th March 2004, 07:50 PM
I just discovered that a popular Linux wordprocssor, Abiword, has been ported to Mac OS X fully (ie: including Aqua interface). You can download it here (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/AbiWord-2.1.1-Panther.dmg.bz2?download). it has the unique feature of supporting right-to-left formatting, useful for Hebrew text, as well as other languages. It also opens Word, RTF and XHTML documents.

pipsqeek
25th March 2004, 09:09 PM
Great, I was looking for a native word processor. I hate Word, keeps "unexpectedly Quit"ing on me all the time. I returned it never to use it again. Been using Open Office and its just a pain as this is the only time I use anything that requires X11 to work.

Great find. Top find!!!

Steve

Damian
26th March 2004, 07:04 AM
NeoOffice is also worth a look. Native port of OpenOffice.

http://www.neooffice.org/

I'm currently using it with only minor annoyances - handles Excel macros fine from work as well as reading all the Word docs I have thrown at it (over 100 so far).

Damian

pipsqeek
26th March 2004, 07:30 AM
I have used Word mainly to keep formatting so i could take assignments to TAFE and just print them there. I do notice that using other WP packages made my reports and projects all plain text and I would have to sit there making a new table of contents, giving headings their appropriate settings (for the TOC to work) Bold, Underline, etc...

Now, since I take the iBook to TAFE I don't worry about the non association of formats between packages as I just connect to the network at TAFE (provided its a non corporate room - as they don't like me getting into that part of the network and none of my classes this semester are) and Print.

So I have been on the look out for alternative packages. OpenOffice was great, but having to use X11 everytime I wanted to use OpenOffice was a hassle.

I'll have a look at NeoOffice and see which one I like better.

Thanks

Steve

pipsqeek
26th March 2004, 02:33 PM
I d/loaded it before I went to TAFE this morning. Its great!!!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve