View Full Version : iPhone is availbe here in Australia - not on ebay

jeremy_warnock
17th September 2007, 01:30 PM
Yeap believe it or not Shopping square have 8G unlocked iphones for $999

heres the link

http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_2037_APPLE_iPhone_8GB_Black_100_SIM_UNLOCKED

MrJesseRoss
17th September 2007, 01:31 PM
Wow. Totally worth it. Who wants a $1000 phone?!

vargz
17th September 2007, 01:33 PM
Fark...$999.

Never heard of shopping square myself. Whose gonna be the guinea pig?

jeremy_warnock
17th September 2007, 01:34 PM
I have used shopping square they have really cheap memory cards. Its a legit shop which surprised me to find this

Exocet
17th September 2007, 01:48 PM
$999? What a rip off :D

bartron
17th September 2007, 02:57 PM
I have used shopping square they have really cheap memory cards. Its a legit shop which surprised me to find this

why not?...there are no import laws banning it from sale in Australia and there is nothing stopping you from unlocking a mobile phone here either. I'd say they purchased a bunch of them iphonesimfree unlocky thingys (despite there being a free unlock now) and are selling the phone here.

bitch to support though...too bad if Apple breaks it with new firmware.

toholio
17th September 2007, 03:10 PM
bitch to support though...too bad if Apple breaks it with new firmware.

I've been thinking about this. It would make sense for Apple to fix the holes that allowed the iPhone to be unlocked, they may actually be contractually obliged to do so for AT & T.

However, what would Apple gain by re-locking already unlocked phones? Surely that would just create a lot of really irate users who have already shown they didn't want to use the chosen carriers anyway.

Razer
17th September 2007, 03:32 PM
I've been thinking about this. It would make sense for Apple to fix the holes that allowed the iPhone to be unlocked, they may actually be contractually obliged to do so for AT & T.

However, what would Apple gain by re-locking already unlocked phones? Surely that would just create a lot of really irate users who have already shown they didn't want to use the chosen carriers anyway.

That is the million dollar question isn't it. On one hand Apple wouldn't mind the phone being unlocked as it means more sales for them. I'm also not sure how much AT&T would mind. It's not like they are losing sales to people overseas as we can't sign up to AT&T anyway. Their worry would be the people in the USA unlocking their phone and switching networks, however how many people would really unlock their phone.. We just have to wait until the next software update to see what the story is...

jeremy_warnock
17th September 2007, 03:34 PM

And dont forget its illegal for a phone company/carrier to make their phones NOT unlockible in the USA - its against the digital media legislation.

While they can try to prevent it - the average has every right, to unlock his phone once paid for and take it else where

Linux_insidev2
17th September 2007, 03:36 PM
And dont forget its illegal for a phone company/carrier to make their phones unlockible in the USA - its against the digital media legislation.

While they can try to prevent it - the average has every right, to unlock his phone once paid for and take it else where

Smells like bullshit to me,

It's illegal to sell the means to unlock a phone over there AFAIK - why would you ban sim unlocked phones?

jeremy_warnock
17th September 2007, 04:04 PM
Smells like bullshit to me,

It's illegal to sell the means to unlock a phone over there AFAIK - why would you ban sim unlocked phones?

sorry mate I just doing two things at once - its against usa legislation to make a phone not unlockible. If you own the phone outright you can go to which ever service you like

DJY
17th September 2007, 06:14 PM
too bad if Apple breaks it with new firmware.

That is one of the million dollar questions!!!!
If we knew the answer - then I suspect there would be a flood of international purchases!!!

OziMac
17th September 2007, 06:18 PM
I reckon there's almost no doubt that the formware update will break the update, simply due to the fact that the unlock exploits a security flaw in the baseband (so I read).

AT&T or not, illegal or not, Apple will have to fix this issue solely for security reasons. That's not to say people will follow suit and actually update the firmware, or that someone won't find a new way around it.

As to whether AT&T do start offering unlocks, apparently there is a minimum period customers must be with a carrier before they can request unlocking of phones (so long as they pay out their contract), and that period is shortly coming to an end - will be interesting to see how Apple/AT&T deal with legally enforced unlocking requests.

Linux_insidev2
17th September 2007, 09:16 PM
sorry mate I just doing two things at once - its against usa legislation to make a phone not unlockible. If you own the phone outright you can go to which ever service you like

no worries brother!

W9cae
17th September 2007, 09:25 PM
I know folks will not be able to answer this here. But I being an ex employee "retired" of AT&T. If I was back in the USA I would get a discounted telco package. I am wondering if they would allow me to use them in roaming from Oz. Seeing as AT&T do operate in Australia on commercial products.

Just a thought I had LOL maybe I need another beer LOL

Has anyone tried to activate the AT&T sim from Oz ?