PDA

View Full Version : Best Quality music format in iTunes

sjaeger172004
15th September 2007, 06:01 PM
I will be buying an iPod "Classic" 160gb in about 1 or 2 weeks time wondering what is the best quality music format to convert my music from iTunes currently it is in AAC format

Thankyou,

thorevenge
15th September 2007, 06:06 PM
AAC seems to be the flavour of Apple - stick with it

mac_man_luke
15th September 2007, 06:25 PM
you will only loose quality if you convert from what you have

If you re-import your music i would suggest Apple Lossless

stevekicks
15th September 2007, 06:27 PM
what kind of file compression is lossless? wav's are lossless too right.. but does apples lossless have a better compression ratio?

The Architect.mac
15th September 2007, 06:33 PM
i have stacks of mp3s and my own collection which was mp3 256... i just reimpoted all my own cds in aac 256 (to match itunes plus) and to the non trained ear they sound better and are a smaller file size... and like i said it matches itunes plus music so a bit of continuity...

Sambo
15th September 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah AAC is smaller and usually better quality at the same filesizes compared to MP3.

soulman
15th September 2007, 07:18 PM
Apple Lossless is the only convenient lossless format for use with iTunes. ALE files are somewhat smaller than AIFFs which, like WAVs, are not compressed. They're still much larger than files saved in lossy formats though.

AAC is a lot better than MP3 and if you use a high bit rate you will need a good stereo to tell the difference between AAC & ALE. I use ALE and AIFF myself but I don't have eleventy gazillion songs like some people.

marc
15th September 2007, 07:18 PM
what kind of file compression is lossless? wav's are lossless too right.. but does apples lossless have a better compression ratio?
WAV, AIFF and SDII (sound designer II) are typically not compressed at all. WAV and AIFF files don't have ID3 tags (like AAC and MP3), so if you move the file out of iTunes, you'll lose all the song information. WAV isn't a smart choice for songs in iTunes.

Apple Lossless and FLAC are compressed, but sound identical to uncompressed files as they're "lossless" (it's like ZIPing them... what goes in is exactly what comes out). Apple Lossless is the best choice for iTunes if you want the highest quality.

ACC is "lossy" compression, but very good. 192 kbps or 256 kbps ACC files sound great.

MP3 is also "lossy" compression, but not as good as AAC. 256 kbps or 320 kbps MP3 files sound great.

AAC and MP3 files of the same bit rate are almost the same file size.

you will only loose quality if you convert from what you have
Yeah. Converting from lossy to lossy will always lose quality. Lossy to lossless won't (but there's not much point).

Sambo
15th September 2007, 07:22 PM
Honestly guys a 128 VBR AAC sounds bloody good. Nice small size and I doubt many could tell the difference between it and a loseless file unless you're using HIGH END! gear..

mac_man_luke
15th September 2007, 07:59 PM
Also how you convert to mp3 makes a difference i find - iv got some mp3s that are 320kbps but sound crud

Johnny Appleseed
15th September 2007, 08:42 PM
I've heard AAC 128 is roughly equivalent to MP3 192

Sambo
15th September 2007, 08:44 PM
Also how you convert to mp3 makes a difference i find - iv got some mp3s that are 320kbps but sound crud

If you install the LAME plug-in for iTunes that'll be the best mp3 encoder. I've heard the iTunes built-in one is shit.