PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook AC Adapter up in smoke - alternatives?

eni
15th September 2007, 01:17 PM
Short version:
Can anybody suggest an alternative Powerbook AC Adapter (65W) to purchase?

Long version:
This morning my Powerbook's AC Adapter (65W) went up in smoke (literally). I feel myself lucky I was sitting there at the time, as I'm not confident a fire would not have ensued.

The common consensus is that the build quality on these things are horrendous, and I cannot argue. I'd rather not put out an additional $130 for something that I have no confidence in and suspect will break once again.

I have searched, and have seen suggestions for both 3rd party eBay products and 'Universal Adapter' kits. Does anyone have experience with either? Any additional suggestions?

Thanks.

MightyAtom
15th September 2007, 01:43 PM
I bought one of these 65w adapters (http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-Adapter-Charger-65W-for-PowerBook-G4-iBook-2Day-Mail_W0QQitemZ150160447015QQihZ005QQcategoryZ80064 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) from this seller for a friends Powerbook last year. Has worked perfectly ever since, does come with an American plug so you'll need a plug adapter or a replacement figure 8 cable.

eni
15th September 2007, 06:53 PM
Thank you for the suggestion, it is appreciated. I much prefer buying from eBay sellers that others have had positive experience with.

As for the 'figure 8' cable, I have many lying around so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep looking, but this looks to be a good option.