PDA

View Full Version : Applicaions folder management

conufsed
12th September 2007, 10:00 PM
One thing I still haven't got sorted out comfortably is my Applications folder, I've tired putting an alias on my dock and right clicking to find what i want, and making some groups with multimedia, internet, etc, but some program updates really dont work with this.

Lately I've been using quicksilver as well to search for the app I want, but something still seems to be lacking.

Any other comfy ideas?

rickyd
12th September 2007, 10:06 PM
Wait for Leopard + Stacks :p

forgie
12th September 2007, 10:10 PM
Ahhhh.... why don't you put your commonly used apps in your dock? Those that you don't commonly used can be launched from Spotlight (or, even better, Quicksilver).

What exactly do you want? Stacks will make access better, but I'm not sure what you want exactly?

zeddie2001
12th September 2007, 10:23 PM
I think I know what you mean - you want your application folder to look like this:

http://myskitch.com/timzahara/applications-20070912-222140.jpg

But when you do Software Updates, they download straight to the Applications folder, meaning you have two versions, and have to manually replace the old version, which only happens when you actually look at the applications folder and are like "Huh....?"

Well, that's what happens for me anyway :P

Unfortunately, there's no easy way around this. Basically you just have to remember that when you do updates, you will have to replace the old app. You will note that Dictionary.app has to remain in the Applications folder for the cmd-ctrl-D shortcut to work.

bullrout
13th September 2007, 06:34 AM
Create a folder with sub-folders, drag aliases of apps you want to the folders & then drag the main folder to the dock.

Or use the favourites folder.

cgollner
13th September 2007, 07:47 AM
You could use Overflow. It allows you to group you apps. Everyday apps on the dock, then in Overflow I have a video tab (mactheripper, visualhub etc), a Maintenance tab (Disk Utility, iDefrag, SuperDuper), a recovery tab (Data Rescue II, Disk Warrior, etc)
Works quite well. Stacks in Leopard will do away with this probably.

Chris