PDA

View Full Version : My macbook doesn't sleep when the batteries run out

forgie
12th September 2007, 07:15 PM
I have a refurb rev a blackbook, that I bought in November 06. The original battery went bad, and I got a free replacement under the Apple battery replacement program. The new battery is great, but my Macbook no longer seems to be able to go to sleep in time when the battery runs out. If the battery runs out, the Macbook just switches off, it's like it thinks it still has 1 minute of juice left, so it doesn't have to go to sleep just yet. This really sucks, and has caused me to lose work on more than one occasion.

Will resetting the PMU have any effect? What governs the management of when the Macbook thinks it's appropriate to go to sleep? Is there anyway to set a percentage or time value or something of when OSX puts the Macbook to sleep? (you can do this in windows) This laptop has Deep Sleep (hibernation in Windows land) and I'd like to actually make use of it instead of finding that the batteries conked out early.

Wally
12th September 2007, 07:51 PM
Its the battery again,

try getting another one

mac_man_luke
12th September 2007, 07:53 PM
iv got the same problem, i think my battery is screwed (might be recall material but probably been too long)

jubilantjeremy
12th September 2007, 08:06 PM
Hey, mine does the same thing! Should I call apple about it?

Jeremy

Linux_insidev2
12th September 2007, 08:29 PM
It's the battery,

My blackbook used to do that, they replaced the battery and did a raindance and it was all fixed.

forgie
12th September 2007, 08:46 PM
Even though it's a brand new battery and it is reporting 100% health?

forgie
14th September 2007, 04:06 PM
Well I tried resetting the PMU, and it still does it.

It actually tries to go to sleep when the "minutes left" thing says 3-4 minutes, and it is obviously copying my RAM to the HDD, but it doesn't quite make it. The system goes cold and I can hear the hard disk spindown, and the sleep light doesn't come on.