PDA

View Full Version : Help Me!

Aleisha
9th February 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi,
I've just moved on to campus at uni, so I have to connect to the internet using a Web Proxy? ( I have no idea if this is what it is actually called) Anyway, my problem is that since I have set up my connection I can't access any sites such as Hotmail, Internode Webmail, Netbank or use MSN. Are there settings that i need to change somewhere or anything I should be doing to allow me to get into my email?

helloroto
9th February 2005, 09:58 PM
Most probably ur uni has some kind of link with the government which when loading stuff like hotmail it automatically goes to a page where it states that "this has no educational value" which means it has been blocked.
Well thats whats at our school anyway! lol hope this helps

Ozi
9th February 2005, 10:08 PM
Which Uni? I can help with melbourne Uni settings, but I don't know about the others. Each uni does things differently.

And yeah, its possible they are blocking "non-educational" stuff. :(

Aleisha
9th February 2005, 10:40 PM
I'm at the University of Canberra, living on campus. It doesn't go to a site telling me there is no educational value, it just won't load. I can't even get my email from our isp at home to work. I can get into any other sites, like shopping and other forums/magazine sites just not the ones i need to use frequently. When I go to www.hotmail.com the page loads, I just can't log in, its the same with netbank and when i try to use messenger.

markh
10th February 2005, 05:41 AM
Strange, they must have changed stuff since I was at UC. I'll find out today what you need to know.

hawker
10th February 2005, 08:18 AM
Hi,

Most unis have IT support for this on their web site. Your uni however does not seem to have too much in the way of helpful info. Maybe you got an IT info sheet when you started?

Anyway, I know you're on campus, but have a look here:

http://www.canberra.edu.au/icts/it/access-offcampus

If not, wait for a response from markh, or place a request with your IT HelpDesk. They are usually very helpful. It seems like they have a great support base for Mac :)