PDA

View Full Version : Google fails to load on my computer

bljpoad
11th September 2007, 09:28 PM
Hi all,
for the last couple of days my computer always fails to connect to google. It doesn't appear to matter if I am using safari, camino, terminal, firefox from within VMware, whatever - google and any related sites like gmail are just no gos. It has got me really confused, because I know my housemates can access google fine, one using a mac and one using a pc, so the problem is definitely on my computer - and google is the ONLY site that gives me this problem.

Has anyone got any ideas? I had no idea how reliant I was on google before this! It is kind of scary.

I tried searching the forums for this problem and came back with nothing, and if anyone tells me GIYF.......:mad:
- Berwyck

purana
11th September 2007, 09:48 PM
And do the attempts error out? if so, like what?

bljpoad
11th September 2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, safari gives me "Safari could not open the page “http://www.google.com.au/” because the server stopped responding."

if I ping www.google.com from terminal it gets the IP address but none of the packets are returned.

it has got me really stumped!
- Berwyck

ClockWork
11th September 2007, 09:59 PM
If you're connecting wirelessly, try connecting an Ethernet Cable to your MackBook to the Router and see if the same thing happens...

bljpoad
11th September 2007, 10:14 PM
Hum, that seems to have worked CW!

When I go back to wireless though it stops loading again though. What was your hunch based on?

ClockWork
11th September 2007, 10:45 PM
Try these possibilities, using Wireless:

Give yourself a valid IP Address in System Preferences' Networks - as opposed to Using DHCP - that is, switch Using DHCP to : Manually, and assign an IP Address not used by any of the other computers in your house.

Turn off your Router for 20 seconds, and then power it back "on" again.

Try connecting to google wirelessly with your Mac OS X Firewall turned "off".

Take a look into both your Router and your Mac OS X Firewall, to see if you're using any unusual Port Forwardings.

bljpoad
11th September 2007, 11:03 PM
ok, I went through and gave the macbook a manual IP address and got rid of my BT port forwarding on the router, and still no joy.

I did find this (http://emperor.tidbits.com/TidBITS/Talk/1351/) (via google, while connected via ethernet!) and tried disabling WPA2 on the router and then google worked.

I have had WPA2 enabled on the router for ages, maybe the last 4 months, and it has never been a problem before. Any ideas why it might have suddenly become an issue? Sunday was the first day I noticed it, and I cant recall installing anything late last week that might have had some effect on this.....curious.
- Berwyck

bljpoad
12th September 2007, 11:56 AM
Sod it, I have decided that this has me beaten, so I am moving the router so that I can use an ethernet cable and keep the WPA2 on the wireless.

Still, a bit of a bugger though :( Thanks for your help guys
- Berwyck