PDA

View Full Version : iLife Poster - This Rocks!

Alessiman
9th February 2005, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I've just spent the better part of the evening resizing 98 random images from my iPhoto library to make a 7 * 14 retangular poster for printing. Final size will be 20 * 30 inches

Found it in this blog

http://www.mikematas.com/blog/2005/01/how-...ife-poster.html (http://www.mikematas.com/blog/2005/01/how-to-make-life-poster.html)

The guy is one of the authors of the delicous library. He is a genius

I am off tomorrow to find a place that will print something so large.

How else is going to give it a go?

Jimbo
9th February 2005, 09:44 PM
jim is

iluvmymactoo
9th February 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for that Alessiman that's a great tip :)

neilrobinson
9th February 2005, 10:20 PM
if anyone is in perth i can do it for you's... billboard size if you really really want. :P

Rayd
9th February 2005, 10:46 PM
i printed my flamily tree (from 1620) at skool on there art printer capable of printing papers anywhere from letter size to 40" x 200"

zefi
10th February 2005, 08:48 AM
An awesome tip! I'll definitely give it a go.

Alessiman
10th February 2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 9 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for that Alessiman that's a great tip :)
Okie Dokie,

I've done a walk up and down Elizabeth Street today to get some pricing.

20 * 30 inches ranges in price from $44 at camera house to $55 at micheals

I'm tempted to go with Micheals as they can do it on the spot and i know the printers they are using. The guy also knew what he was talking about there the Camera House guy said. "gee you going to need a large file to print that size, at least 2 meg..."

hmmmmmm

If I do it. Which will be tomorrow sometime, I'll post some pics here

purana
10th February 2005, 04:12 PM
I am going to be making something similar also... I think I will use the same place as you suggested.

Tonight I will install iphoto5 and then photoshop and start selecting the photos.. If this works out any good my wife and I hope to do one for her parents.

EDIT:

Whats the address of Michaels. If I get my poster done on the weekend, my wife is going to take it down to be printed. Just need the address ;)

Alessiman
11th February 2005, 07:26 PM
Hi all,

Here is my iLife poster. I ended up getting it done at a place around the corner from me in Collins St as I like to support local businesses. Cost was $45

Somethings to note. When exporting to my photo seemed off centred on the top and bottom. The sides are fine. I "think" its because of my page sixe being in cm's and not inches.

Also I have to choose brighter pics (i.e more outdoor ones) but the result I got wasn't bad.

Attached is the result. I am off to Ikea to get a 20*30" Ribba frame for it on the weekend

Please post yours when complete

ps. Micheals is on the cnr or Lonsdale and Elizabeth St

Jimbo
12th February 2005, 12:11 PM
so what size did you do it in like did you ask for a 20" x 30" print?

Alessiman
12th February 2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 12 2005, 12:11 PM
so what size did you do it in like did you ask for a 20" x 30" print?
Yeah its a 20*30 inch print.

Perfect poster size. I am going to make another one thats portrait not landscape

If your melbourne based your welcome to come over and take a look

Alessiman
13th February 2005, 10:20 AM
hmmm well that was interesting

Seems like there is no 20 * 30 inch frames around.

The closet are 50 * 70 which are too small :( So if your going to make one. Make suer they are for australian sizing.

Lucky the frame I got was only 12 dollars so nothing too much wasted except a couple of hours at ikea.

I will just use it as a poster. I'll post another pic when its up

Jimbo
13th February 2005, 10:24 AM
is it glossy, wax printed or what? i'm really curious about how they printed it, i'm assume 1 mother of an inkjet printer?

Alessiman
13th February 2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 13 2005, 10:24 AM
is it glossy, wax printed or what? i'm really curious about how they printed it, i'm assume 1 mother of an inkjet printer?
I assume its a big inkjet they use with large rolls of photo paper

Though the finish is semi gloss and "feels" just like a photo. Albeit a big one

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 01:05 PM
so i decided to go the smart way and call the printing place first before i started doing it. the place is CAnberra plan printing and colour copy centre in the city.

Camilla said that not only was she doing exactly the same project, but suggested using a standard paper size and a0, was too big, thats also $120

she said a1 is a good size and its (for future reference) 841x594, and glossy print is about $60, i think thats worth it i guess for gloss done in 2 hours.

if anyone else in canberra does this, ask for camilla, it'll freak her out

Mark T
14th February 2005, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know who in Adelaide will do a good job of printing these out.

I called into two places in Gawler Place today, and got quoted $120 (ouch!) and $77 for A1 size. The $77 included an "image processing fee" of around $38 which included upsampling, getting the colours right etc. Regarding upsampling, they said that if I did it myself my computer would take forever (huh? - i've already done it). Regarding getting the colours right, the said that the adjust the colours to what they think they're supposed to be (isn't that what colorsync is for?)

Regards,

Mark T

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 01:55 PM
i find with situations like this, pretend you know exactly what you are doing, ring up ask for a print at a1 size, ask which format they prefer (then say like tiff or pdf?) then they wont attempt to charge you for things you already have done. also reguarding the upsampling, they assume you have a shitty old pentium 233 with 16mb ram, and no photoshop. so yeah it would take all day. if you go to page setup and add a1 then save it as a pdf, done no "upsampling" required.

the place i'm going to tomorrow, is a plan/draft printing company. and i got lucky that the girl knew exactly what i wanted.

Alessiman
14th February 2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 14 2005, 01:55 PM
i find with situations like this, pretend you know exactly what you are doing, ring up ask for a print at a1 size, ask which format they prefer (then say like tiff or pdf?) then they wont attempt to charge you for things you already have done. also reguarding the upsampling, they assume you have a shitty old pentium 233 with 16mb ram, and no photoshop. so yeah it would take all day. if you go to page setup and add a1 then save it as a pdf, done no "upsampling" required.

the place i'm going to tomorrow, is a plan/draft printing company. and i got lucky that the girl knew exactly what i wanted.
*lol*

Thats exactly what I did. "What DPI would you prefer. Would you like it in Tiff or some other format. It will be 1:1 is that ok" etc etc

Out of interest I went to Snap Printing across the road from me. They want $80 for A1

And hurry up Jimbo I want to see how your turns out as well :)

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 02:45 PM
i'm taking it in tomorrow morning, but won't be able to pick it up till later, as i'm working from 1 pm to 9pm. i may pick it up wednesday.

incidentally alessman, what dpi did they want it in?

Alessiman
14th February 2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 14 2005, 02:45 PM
i'm taking it in tomorrow morning, but won't be able to pick it up till later, as i'm working from 1 pm to 9pm. i may pick it up wednesday.

incidentally alessman, what dpi did they want it in?
From memory its 150DPI the guy said anything over is overkill. I set mine at 200 when exporting as a TIFF

I think your be very impressed with the results. I know I was with mine

Jimbo
14th February 2005, 11:10 PM
did it take like nearly a year to import to photoshop? i'm doing everything as said in the guide on life poster site?

mine has been five minutes now...

Jimbo
15th February 2005, 09:50 AM
well i took it in just now, will hopefully have it around 2pm tomorrow...

hmm camilla was 'nice' i might get to know her :D

estoyloco
15th February 2005, 09:08 PM
Hey Aleisman... few more Q's. Whats the size of your pic in terms of A's? A1?

Also did you get it laminated? If so where? How much <- so i have some sort of guide when asking around

Thats looks really good and i thought it was some sort of iPhoto purchase like the albums etc.. maybe someone should send a comment to apple to include this in their iphoto shop cos i&#39;ve been looking around for something like this for a while.

I&#39;m in melb too and &#036;45 seems like penuts&#33;

I will show you the final output when i&#39;m done&#33;

Thanks again for this&#33;

Alessiman
15th February 2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Feb 15 2005, 09:08 PM
Hey Aleisman... few more Q&#39;s. Whats the size of your pic in terms of A&#39;s? A1?

Also did you get it laminated? If so where? How much <- so i have some sort of guide when asking around

Thats looks really good and i thought it was some sort of iPhoto purchase like the albums etc.. maybe someone should send a comment to apple to include this in their iphoto shop cos i&#39;ve been looking around for something like this for a while.

I&#39;m in melb too and &#036;45 seems like penuts&#33;

I will show you the final output when i&#39;m done&#33;

Thanks again for this&#33;
Yep I go it laminated as the size 20 * 30 inches didn&#39;t fit any of the frames I liked.

Also it wasn&#39;t centred properly before I printed it so the bottom had to be trimmed.

I am going to be doing another one but this time do it 50 * 70 cms as most frames around support that size. i.e IKEA :o

My friends have loved this poster. They are comtemplating getting me to do some for them as well

Laminating cost me &#036;10

I can give you the shop if you like. They are on Collins St b/w Spencer and King. Its the only photo shop around

estoyloco
15th February 2005, 09:33 PM
Nice.. i know the area so i will take a stroll down there when i get the poster done.

Cant wait to see what it looks like&#33; Thanks again

davemgraham
16th February 2005, 01:01 PM
For those in Melbourne....CPLDigital (http://www.cpldigital.com.au/) in St Kilda offer 30"x20" for &#036;33.

I&#39;ve just taken my CD in - will pick it up tomorrow

estoyloco
16th February 2005, 01:05 PM
Awesome.. please post and show us what it looks like when you get it&#33;

impact_blue
18th February 2005, 10:31 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen, Girls & Boys;

You think &#036;45 is cheap for a 20" x 30" print... Okay - try &#036;17.50, with a Fujimoto large format photo printing machine? No theres no catch, just special goodness&#33;

RGB Digital Pro Lab (http://www.rgbdigital.com.au/) (no I don&#39;t work for them&#33;) do them. A firm based out of QLD; however they courier it out to you for &#036;10. So in essence for only 1 print, its &#036;27.50, but for 2 or 3 (they do other sizes too) lets say 3, then its only &#036;20.83 a print... The more the merrier&#33;

I&#39;m getting some large format printing done there for photos - yes one photo that big... and I&#39;ll do up one of these whilst I&#39;m at it... I&#39;ll let you know how it goes, and what the quality&#39;s like.

Anyway&#39;s its funny, cause even with postage, its still cheap than Mike&#39;s -especially as Mike&#39;s was US&#036;29&#33;&#33;&#33;

Cheers,
Nathan.

jy6
18th February 2005, 11:22 PM
impact_blue:: I see that your based in Sydney, so did you just mail them the image on a CD?

Thanks in advance&#33;

impact_blue
19th February 2005, 01:18 AM
jy6,

Yep exactly - sent up via mail - hmmm I wonder what I&#39;m doing about payment? I&#39;ll have to check that out&#33;&#33;

But yeah, just burn it to CD/DVD (depedning on how many images) and send it up to them.

Cheers,
Nathan.

Alessiman
19th February 2005, 06:22 AM
Thats good news. Looking forward to seeing some examples

purana
19th February 2005, 08:41 AM
Found a place near my work in North Ryde who said they&#39;d do me a print for &#036;40. So I am tinkering with my margins to get the top and bottom as even as possible. I will probably take it over Thursday or so. Since I am heap busy on Wednesday when I go back to work.

Will let you know how mine turns out.

Jimbo
19th February 2005, 10:20 AM
well, don&#39;t go to Canberra plan printing, its shit, i&#39;m poor, and my girlfriend got a shitty present,

They had problems printing it, andit took 4 days, so then i was pissed off, and when i went to pick it up, its all grainy, and lo res, when i asked about it, she said that thats how a poster printer prints... AHHH&#33; its so fucking shit. from 1 meter though it looks fantastic.

good idea, in theory. is yours grainy alessiman?

Alessiman
19th February 2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 19 2005, 10:20 AM
well, don&#39;t go to Canberra plan printing, its shit, i&#39;m poor, and my girlfriend got a shitty present,

They had problems printing it, andit took 4 days, so then i was pissed off, and when i went to pick it up, its all grainy, and lo res, when i asked about it, she said that thats how a poster printer prints... AHHH&#33; its so fucking shit. from 1 meter though it looks fantastic.

good idea, in theory. is yours grainy alessiman?
Hey Jimbo,

Sorry to here that. The quality of mine is stunning. This is despite my rushg to get a sample one made to be printed

I did no color correnction, image adjustment basically did everything I was told not to do in the guide

The output is on photo paper (Kodak) and looks, feels just like a photo

Albeit much bigger

I look forward to the results of the other people who are printing theres currently

Please post a pic if you have access to a digital camera

purana
19th February 2005, 01:55 PM
Just out of interest.. how big is everyones tiff file turning out.

The PDF was about 230mb, and the tiff I did in photoshop as per instructions saves out to be 70mb using no layers in the save.

I will take it to get printed, soon as I figure out the top/bottom margins further. The examples around don&#39;t show a reasonable margin for top/bottom.. They say use 0 and this is not good, as we get a huge gap at bottom compared to top.

Alessiman
19th February 2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Feb 19 2005, 01:55 PM
Just out of interest.. how big is everyones tiff file turning out.

The PDF was about 230mb, and the tiff I did in photoshop as per instructions saves out to be 70mb using no layers in the save.

I will take it to get printed, soon as I figure out the top/bottom margins further. The examples around don&#39;t show a reasonable margin for top/bottom.. They say use 0 and this is not good, as we get a huge gap at bottom compared to top.
Ditto for me re:sizes

The margins on mine were crap-o-la

My next one will be changed accordingly as well.

Jimbo
19th February 2005, 02:14 PM
yeah my pdf was huge and my tiff quite small. As for the printing thats how she said their printer prints... i guess i should have asked first on the quality if i wanted it higher than 8 dpi??? :D

Alessiman
19th February 2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 19 2005, 02:14 PM
yeah my pdf was huge and my tiff quite small. As for the printing thats how she said their printer prints... i guess i should have asked first on the quality if i wanted it higher than 8 dpi??? :D
Jimbo most commerical printers print at 72dpi

Fine for normal print jobs but not for photo work

I had mine outputed to 200 DPI. And as mentioned results are photo quality

purana
19th February 2005, 02:27 PM
I am working today and tomorrow. But since I will have Monday and Tuesday off. I might call a few local places. If someone can match the price I got might take it down to a local joint. Otherwise I will take it to the place near my work as planned. Although they said it would take a few days as they don&#39;t print it. They must outsource it.

Got to mow lawns on Monday too.. hrmm

davemgraham
19th February 2005, 06:05 PM
Ok here&#39;s 3 pics of mine....I am absolutely delighted with the end result

&#036;33 from CPL digital in Melbourne

Poster Pic 1 (http://www.rugrats.net.au/photos/poster1.jpg)
Poster Pic 2 (http://www.rugrats.net.au/photos/poster2.jpg)
Poster Pic 3 (http://www.rugrats.net.au/photos/poster3.jpg)

My tif file ended up at 107Mb

Alessiman
19th February 2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by davemgraham@Feb 19 2005, 06:05 PM
Ok here&#39;s 3 pics of mine....I am absolutely delighted with the end result

&#036;33 from CPL digital in Melbourne

Poster Pic 1 (http://www.rugrats.net.au/photos/poster1.jpg)
Poster Pic 2 (http://www.rugrats.net.au/photos/poster2.jpg)
Poster Pic 3 (http://www.rugrats.net.au/photos/poster3.jpg)

My tif file ended up at 107Mb
I really like the use of color and B&W on this print. Very good work&#33;

I also like the single theme. Never thought to incorporate it into a wedding montage.

Very well done&#33;

Alessiman
26th February 2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Hey Hey,

A few people were meant to have these posters made

Well.... Where are they??? :unsure:

I am interested in the quality vs price of some of the different outfits used to print.

I know jimbos was dissappointing. What about others?

purana
27th February 2005, 09:04 AM
I took mine on Friday to be printed. About a 3-4 day wait. I hope to have it back say Wednesday. Soon see when they call me.

Mine is getting done for &#036;40 from a place near my work. Infact they outsource it, so it will be interesting to see what it looks like. They better print it at a high dpi or I will be unhappy.

It will be worth the &#036;40 to see what happens. If its any good its going off to be framed probably by the same people who did our wedding stuff (which even got featured each week or so in the advert of the local paper for the framing company).

impact_blue
27th February 2005, 09:16 AM
I&#39;m having some "Contact Sheet II" PotatoShop issues. Not having a Mac right now dissallows iPhoto, however using PS I come across very weird spacing issues. Large banks of space under each row of photos...Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nathan

downsys
28th February 2005, 12:30 AM
ok, so i&#39;ve done the 98 photos, set the page to 76.2cm x 50.8cm with 0cm spacing top and bottom, 0.75cm spacing left and right. now my PDF file is exactly 333mb. however, i don&#39;t have Photoshop, so how do i convert it into TIFF? i need to change it coz CPL only accepts TIFF and if i want them to change the format for me, it&#39;ll cost another &#036;16.50. any help please?

curtlivingston
3rd March 2005, 08:54 AM
get a copy of graphicconverter x off versiontracker.
apparently excellent software for converting all kinds of images.

purana
3rd March 2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by curtlivingston@Mar 3 2005, 08:54 AM
get a copy of graphicconverter x off versiontracker.
apparently excellent software for converting all kinds of images.
But its not free.

purana
3rd March 2005, 12:30 PM
My poster/print is ready to pick up. Going for a drive to pick it up in about 30mins. The owner of the business said it came up really nice. Guess I will soon find out if its worth getting framed by our regularly framers :)

EDIT: it looks great... click here (http://www.heimic.net/gallery/032005) to see 2 digital snaps of it on our gallery.

Alessiman
4th March 2005, 08:12 AM
Looks good

I am doing another one right now as I finally got all my 5000 odd photos imported into iphoto5

So many pics to choose. Only 98 allowed :(

impact_blue
4th March 2005, 10:44 AM
Getting mine I did in PotatoShop soon - though: Not being an iPhoto user as yet, not sure how it works... Can you simply change the size of the image down to a smaller size to allow for more pics - (albeit smaller pics)?

Cheers,
Nathan.

Alessiman
4th March 2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by impact_blue@Mar 4 2005, 10:44 AM
Getting mine I did in PotatoShop soon - though: Not being an iPhoto user as yet, not sure how it works... Can you simply change the size of the image down to a smaller size to allow for more pics - (albeit smaller pics)?

Cheers,
Nathan.
Yes but the iphoto route is ifinately easier unless you create an action in PS to automate it.

BTW I did my 1st one in iPhoto 4 if you haven&#39;t upgraded already

purana
4th March 2005, 11:13 AM
Yes doing it in iphoto is easy as.

I may attempt to do it via photoshop sometime. As I want to try a few other things.

Meanwhile very impressed with the output, it appears the printers printed it correctly. So I just need to show a few more people and then go get it framed and hang it somewhere.

I might do another one. Might grab the digital photos from my mums recent trip to New Zealand and do one from those.

My mate wants to do one for his mother as a present, so I suspect he will do that soonish after seeing the output of ours.

impact_blue
4th March 2005, 02:10 PM
PotatoShop (at least CS) already has an automated function for this:

File -> Automate -> Contact Sheet II

Choose the folder you want and size you want with DPI and press go... Done.. It does have a formatting issue I&#39;m trying to get around so.... not ideal..

I&#39;m lazy, I don&#39;t pre-resize the images down so...

Cheers,
Nathan.

purana
6th March 2005, 04:35 PM
Took our poster to get professionial framed.. not cheap, but hey thats what happens..

Should have it back in 3 weeks fully done :)

DJY
6th March 2005, 06:21 PM
Now these are very cool&#33;

Might have to sit down and play with my own collection...
then source a good printer in in Canberra noting the problems listed above&#33;

downsys
6th March 2005, 07:45 PM
i&#39;ve changed mine to 50x70 cm, hence only 91 pics fit in (coz ikea&#39;s frames and most others only fit this size). if i went to a print shop and asked them to print at 20x30 inch, would the pics be printed in the size i formatted it to (50 by 70) or would it be larger to fit the (20 by 30) paper? please advice? :huh:

Alessiman
6th March 2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by downsys@Mar 6 2005, 07:45 PM
i&#39;ve changed mine to 50x70 cm, hence only 91 pics fit in (coz ikea&#39;s frames and most others only fit this size). if i went to a print shop and asked them to print at 20x30 inch, would the pics be printed in the size i formatted it to (50 by 70) or would it be larger to fit the (20 by 30) paper? please advice? :huh:
If you did it correctly

Ask them to print it 1:1. i.e as the page size you specified

They will print it as 50*70 and cut to size

I am guessing you will be charged for the cost of a 20*30 paper though

impact_blue
6th March 2005, 09:47 PM
Should be seeing mine on Tuesday - really looking forward to it&#33;

Cheers.

impact_blue
11th March 2005, 06:59 PM
So I got mine back - looks pretty sweet - even though its got the rows of white on it (I think PS CS assumes that you want to put the names of each photo there...) anyway I&#39;m impresed.

I can recommend http://www.rgbdigital.com.au ONLY if you ensure that you set the DPI to 300-400DPI - and set the image to the exact size you want. Then it&#39;s pretty painless. Printed on matte Fujicolour paper a 20x30" print sets you back &#036;17.50 plus a courier back fee of &#036;10. Pretty good value - I ordered over &#036;205 worth of photos so it was worth it for me&#33;

Anyway will post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nathan

Comet
12th March 2005, 05:47 PM
So, are you able to share us some photos of the quality? I am seriously considering making an international order as I don&#39;t know any where that I can talk to about this in Japan.

trinidad
13th March 2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by impact_blue@Mar 11 2005, 06:59 PM

I can recommend http://www.rgbdigital.com.au ONLY if you ensure that you set the DPI to 300-400DPI - and set the image to the exact size you want. Then it&#39;s pretty painless. Printed on matte Fujicolour paper a 20x30" print sets you back &#036;17.50 plus a courier back fee of &#036;10. Pretty good value - I ordered over &#036;205 worth of photos so it was worth it for me&#33;

Anyway will post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nathan
Could you tell me exactly how long it took them to send it back to you? And what did you do about payment? I went to their site, but it wasn&#39;t exactly clear what I had to do if I wanted to pay by credit card.

Oh, and do you need to email them before you actually send the CD to them? Sorry about all the questions, but that website is really vague.

impact_blue
14th March 2005, 10:57 AM
Recommended

Cheers,
Nathan.

PS - with any luck, will upload pic of iLife&#39;esque pic tonight -

trinidad
14th March 2005, 01:57 PM
awesome :D

Will definitely try them out, thanks for typing up all the above info, it&#39;s much appreciated. :)

trinidad
15th March 2005, 04:30 PM
:D Well I&#39;m definitely a happy camper today. I just got my iLife poster back, and it looks awesome.

I&#39;ve uploaded a picture of it. The pic itself is a bit blurred, but that&#39;s simply the camera and my hand not being very stable, as I was rushing to get the pic online. The poster itself is very sharp and vibrant. I might get it laminated or bring it to the frame shop and order a custom frame for it...at the moment it&#39;s stuck to my wall with blutack....not a very good way to treat it, yes, but I really wanted to see how it would look like on a wall.

Alessiman
16th March 2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by trinidad@Mar 15 2005, 04:30 PM
:D Well I&#39;m definitely a happy camper today. I just got my iLife poster back, and it looks awesome.

I&#39;ve uploaded a picture of it. The pic itself is a bit blurred, but that&#39;s simply the camera and my hand not being very stable, as I was rushing to get the pic online. The poster itself is very sharp and vibrant. I might get it laminated or bring it to the frame shop and order a custom frame for it...at the moment it&#39;s stuck to my wall with blutack....not a very good way to treat it, yes, but I really wanted to see how it would look like on a wall.
Hey that does look good.

I found that spending some time arranging the photos before printing help out quite a bit. For example don&#39;t have 4 indoor shoots in a row. Mikes webblog mentions it and I have to agree with him.

Its a shame both my parents have passed away as this would have been the perfect present for them. And my sisters just argue which of their children has the most/least exposure on the poster :(

Still that said. I do like it a lot. Its funny as I look at these posters and they are more intimate than just looking at a series of happy snaps. Being all in one page really does give one a snapshot of a persons life

scottyh
18th March 2005, 11:42 AM
Hey guys,

I&#39;m another happy RGB customer ... had my poster back within two working days.

Everything Nathan has stated is correct. I cropped and "enhanced" all photos in iPhoto5 and saved the poster with 400dpi resolution.

Extremely happy with the results and plan to have mine professionally framed.

Photo 1 (http://www.ozmatrix.com/gallery/misc/lifeposter1) & Photo 2 (http://www.ozmatrix.com/gallery/misc/lifeposter2).

Regards,

Scott
Cairns, Queensland

Update 03/04/2005
Framing was expensive but well worthwhile.
Photo of finished framed life poster - Photo 3 (http://www.ozmatrix.com/gallery/misc/lifeposter3).

mdmcholet
18th March 2005, 01:02 PM
When I started reading this thread I thought this would be great for Wedding Pics&#33;&#33; (I am getting married in 2 weeks) for gifts for the family &#33;&#33;

And saw that someone also did this :) So will definitely be doing this in about 5-6 weeks&#33;

sikosis
19th March 2005, 09:58 AM
I thought I&#39;d have a crack at this ... just curious, is the PDF file that gets created meant to go over 2 pages ???

Alessiman
19th March 2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by sikosis@Mar 19 2005, 09:58 AM
I thought I&#39;d have a crack at this ... just curious, is the PDF file that gets created meant to go over 2 pages ???
Short answer. No

Whats the files look like? If the 2nd page is just blank. then maybe you are ok

sikosis
19th March 2005, 10:35 PM
nah I&#39;ve got two lines of photos ... hrmm perhaps they haven&#39;t all been 4 x 3&#39;d ? :unsure:

kim jong il
20th March 2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by iodine@Mar 3 2005, 01:28 PM
But its not free.
IO, re graphic converter; it may not be free but it is shareware. The unregistered version is fully functional except for a 30 second delay on launching the application (uses a countdown clock). It uses this 30 seconds to ask you to register it.
Failing this you could always use the the OS X application &#39;Preview&#39; and export the image in a variety of formats. (See attached image. It seems that people ignore the free Apple software as they may feel that it will not offer the functionality they need) In this case preview will do the job admirably.

purana
20th March 2005, 06:12 AM
I use photoshop... :)

kim jong il
20th March 2005, 09:07 AM
IO, when I posted last night I was aware that I was responding to something 12 days old but wanted to correct some mis-information regarding graphic converter. Yes, you do quite clearly state that you use photoshop but poor old downsys was in a bit of trouble with image formats. As no-one seemed to want to post information that would have helped him/her e.g that graphic converter is SHAREWARE and fully functional without registration or that everyone has the ability to convert around 10 basic formats from within the Apple application &#39;Preview&#39; I decided I would. Maybe I should have spent a bit more time and posted with multiple nested quotes.

Currently, sadly, a fair proportion of my current posts involve correcting mis-information posted by various members who, for whatever reason, post BELIEFS not FACTS; where the primary goal of posting seems to be boosting post counts not helping other members :( (no I am not suggesting you are one of the main offenders) Its an easy thing, if not sure, to spend a couple of minutes and google something, just to verify the accuracy of information presented.

kim

estoyloco
30th March 2005, 08:57 AM
Has anyone been ato get onto the RGBDIGITAL>COM>AU site? its sems to be down? Have they moved it or anything??

Cheers

its been down for 3 days for me

neilrobinson
30th March 2005, 09:00 AM
down for me at work as well. :(

mac_man_luke
11th May 2005, 11:48 PM
I think i might make one of these and print it on my dads 43" Inkjet (Agfa) :P

Hobart
11th May 2005, 11:56 PM
how do you have a 43" printer? (just cuerious)

12th May 2005, 06:37 PM
this is awesome. i&#39;m going to make one up with macro shots of flowers for my room. it will work out just as cheap as buying a poster + i will have made in myself.

purana
12th May 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Mar 20 2005, 09:07 AM
Currently, sadly, a fair proportion of my current posts involve correcting mis-information posted by various members who, for whatever reason, post BELIEFS not FACTS; where the primary goal of posting seems to be boosting post counts not helping other members :( (no I am not suggesting you are one of the main offenders) Its an easy thing, if not sure, to spend a couple of minutes and google something, just to verify the accuracy of information presented.

Umm if only posters actually researched before posting, it would then stop people doing stupid responses... I can account of a few examples from today, but I wont bother.

I just noticed this post... seriously... waffle comes to mind.

internet
26th June 2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by neilrobinson@Feb 9 2005, 10:20 PM
if anyone is in perth i can do it for you&#39;s... billboard size if you really really want. :P
yes please&#33; how much??

internet
26th June 2005, 04:16 PM
oops, never mind. rgbdigital.com.au

mwot
30th June 2005, 06:38 PM
Incidentally, has anyone used Digital Davinci to print photo books using iPhoto?? Just curious, as Nextbyte have forwarded an email detail an iPhoto plugin for use with this service from Digital Davinci (http://www.digitaldavinci.com.au/photo_book_plugin.html).

mvjs
30th June 2005, 06:55 PM
I think Picasa from Google on the PC does a similer thing to this

Mark T
1st July 2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by mwot@Jun 30 2005, 06:08 PM
Incidentally, has anyone used Digital Davinci to print photo books using iPhoto?? Just curious, as Nextbyte have forwarded an email detail an iPhoto plugin for use with this service from Digital Davinci (http://www.digitaldavinci.com.au/photo_book_plugin.html).
Is Digital DaVinci part of Next Byte?

I keep getting that feeling that they are all owned by the same crowd.

insanefireman
2nd July 2005, 10:22 PM
I had a twenty page double sided done by Next Byte/Digital DaVinci of my sisters wedding cakes. It looks spectacular - she has it at a wedding gown shop and gets lots of orders from it. Im doing a couple for the fire brigade at the moment. They are very professional

fompsweeva
2nd July 2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mark T@Jul 1 2005, 09:31 AM
Is Digital DaVinci part of Next Byte?

I keep getting that feeling that they are all owned by the same crowd.
I believe so.

The Glenelg Applecenter is now a Digital DaVinci

aquila
8th August 2005, 08:52 PM
Was just wondering if anyone had managed to include a panorama in theirs? When I try it keeps the panoramic photo the same size as all the others (which when it is a 28*3 panorama means it looks incredibly crap).

estoyloco
27th October 2005, 11:55 AM
Digging up an old thread but this should be in some "cool stickey section"

Anyways just got prints from RGBDigital - 2 posters and a 10x15" -&#036;3.50 or something ridiculous like that. The quality is outstanding.

Highly recommend these guys&#33;

blackie36
4th November 2005, 12:33 PM
My poster arrived from RGB Digital on Monday and looks outstanding.

Service and turnaround time was fantastic.

Highly recommended&#33;

Romka
7th November 2005, 10:39 PM
Is there not a way to do that with iWork now?

Febs
21st December 2005, 02:52 PM
Has anyone else had errors when saving the file as a Baseline Optimized jpeg? I keep getting a "program error". It happens if I try to save it as any type of jpeg (but only with this image).

I&#39;ve got the PDF into Photoshop 7, and I&#39;ve successfully saved it as a TIFF, but can&#39;t manage to save it as a baseline optimized 12 quality jpeg - either from the PDF or the TIFF. I need this format because that&#39;s what RGB Digital specify for best results (image is 400dpi)

I&#39;ll admit my machine is pretty old (DP 500MHz G4), but with 1.5gb RAM and SATA drives it handles anything I throw at it...usually.

Is 8000 x 12000 pixels to big for a jpeg?

I&#39;m not in a hurry so I&#39;ll give it a go at work on a G5 (seeing as RGB Digital are closed til the 9th anyway).

Cheers,
- Febs.

Febs
25th December 2005, 01:33 AM
I tried converting it using Photoshop CS2 on a dual-core 2.3GHz G5 today and it worked fine.

I guess it&#39;s either a problem with PS7 or my G4 being old (most likely :D).

Cheers,
- Febs.

p53
1st February 2006, 01:58 PM
I really wanted to make a poster but was the process seemed quite involved but here&#39;s a workflow from Jim Heid. Produces a 20x30 inch poster with 96 square photos or 72 landscape/horizontal. I&#39;m just about to try it out.
http://www.macilife.com/2005/07/how-to-mak...er-edition.html (http://www.macilife.com/2005/07/how-to-make-life-poster-tiger-edition.html)

Febs
1st February 2006, 11:08 PM
The square photos can be a bit limiting though...and the original tutorial gives you 98 photos. :)

It&#39;s not that hard to follow. Even I managed to see it all the way through. :D

Alessiman
29th June 2006, 09:57 AM
Bumping an old thread.

I noticed that Big W have 20*30inch poster sized prints for &#036;19.50 or so.

At that price I&#39;m going ot give them a go and see that the qualities like.

Thats Big W in the QV building melbourne BTW

Though I am sure they are everywhere

tcn33
29th June 2006, 11:34 AM
Let us know how it comes out... it would be way more convenient than sending it off to Qld.

Alessiman
29th June 2006, 03:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcn33 &#064; Jun 29 2006, 11&#58;34 AM) 189889</div>

Let us know how it comes out... it would be way more convenient than sending it off to Qld.
[/b]

Will Do

homodelphinus
18th July 2006, 02:23 PM
BTW: I went in to RGB Prolab today to drop off a disk as a trial and had a look at their FujiMoto machine. The print quality coming out of it was superb (someone&#39;s wedding photos on lustre paper).

I will definitely be sending some more photos back there to get printed. They also print on to canvas (and stretch and frame it). I had a couple of questions and they were very helpful and accomodating (for example: I wanted the print to wrap around the sides of the canvas when framed. I had left about 25mm bleed on the photo to do this but they suggested it is better with approx 30mm bleed so they said they would custom make the frame about 5mm smaller to accomodate and not loose any image quality by enlarging the image). Will be ready in a couple of days to pick up. About &#036;66 in total for a 18" x 12" print on canvas stretched onto frame. other places I had seen this were about &#036;95 plus.

Alessiman
9th August 2006, 11:03 AM
Has anyone got this working with iPhoto 6?

Have played around for over 2 days with no success, iPhoto 6 refuses to accept custom paper sizes

Who else has tried this?

tcn33
9th August 2006, 11:29 AM
I made mine in iPhoto 5, now that I think about it. So iPhoto 6 no longer allows you to set custom paper sizes? Crap.

edit: Found a solution.

Ok guys, I kind of got it to work with iLife &#39;06.
You can change the "paper handling" in the advanced print options, however, this would only produce a lower res scaled version of the letter format which is not what we&#39;re looking for.

Here is the better approach:

iPhoto &#39;06 only allows you to pick a paper size that your selected printer can actually print out. Therefore, you have to add a new printer and chose one that can actually handle larger paper sizes. A good one would be the HP Designjet 800PS. If you added it to your printers and picked it you can magically select form within larger print sizes. Just pick a larger one that has an 3 x 2 aspect ratio or A1 if you&#39;re in Europe and you&#39;re good. The PDF should have the same high resolution than before.

In Photoshop scale the image to 30" x 20" if you&#39;re in the States and voilá&#33;
[/b]

Hope this helps.

purana
9th August 2006, 11:48 AM
I need to make a new poster shortly too.. handy to know the papersize thing in iPhoto 6

samuelclarke
9th August 2006, 12:06 PM
I sort of got iPhoto 6 working by (fake) installing a wide format printer in the print setup - didn&#39;t work real well though. Luckily I had a copy of iPhoto 5 still on a external hard drive and I just used that ;)

Also another recommendation for RGB Digital&#33; I got them to do a 30 x 20 poster for my mother&#39;s birthday - it came back looking great. I&#39;ve since sent some of my clients work to them and both myself and my clients have been very happy with the quality and the price&#33;

Alessiman
9th August 2006, 01:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcn33 &#064; Aug 9 2006, 11&#58;29 AM) 202889</div>

I made mine in iPhoto 5, now that I think about it. So iPhoto 6 no longer allows you to set custom paper sizes? Crap.

edit: Found a solution.
Hope this helps.
[/b]

Hi,

Yeah I saw this on Mikes blog as well, except there is no way to add that printer&#33;&#33;

Well maybe I am just stupid, but i can&#39;t work it out

Such a shame, and i can&#39;t find my iphoto 5 dvd

<cries>

tcn33
9th August 2006, 02:17 PM
I&#39;ll try tonight and let you know what happens.

Alessiman
9th August 2006, 03:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcn33 &#064; Aug 9 2006, 02&#58;17 PM) 202946</div>

[/b]

Thanks,

I can solve Skasis Paradigm but you think I can install a #&#036;@#@ printer&#33;

:D

Alessiman
10th August 2006, 07:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tcn33 &#064; Aug 9 2006, 02&#58;17 PM) 202946</div>

[/b]

Cheers,

Any luck?

tcn33
10th August 2006, 06:39 PM
I didn&#39;t end up using the instructions in the comment on Mike&#39;s blog, at step 3 I did this instead:

- go to File > Page Setup
- In the Paper Size dropdown, select Manage Custom Sizes
- Click the + to add one and set the dimensions as: 50.80*76.20cm, top and bottom margin 0, left and right 0.63cm

I then exported it to PDF and opened it in Photoshop as per Mike&#39;s post, but I exported it to jpg rather than tiff after that.

Try it and see how you go. If that doesn&#39;t work then you&#39;ve exhausted all my (admittedly limited) ideas :(

Alessiman
10th August 2006, 08:53 PM
I assume your using iPhoto 6?

I&#39;ve done that step as well but when I goto print, the paper selection I created in Manage Custom Sizes cannot be selected.

The paper size always reverts back to U.S Letter

Frustrating is a word that comes to mind these last few days

tcn33
10th August 2006, 10:42 PM
I think you can ignore that if you&#39;re selecting Save as PDF - the print options will conform to whatever your printer is capable of, but the Save as PDF option leaves it at the correct size. Try to keep going from there and see how you do.

I put one of these together about six months ago, so I&#39;m going to take it into my local Big W (Forest Hill) tomorrow and see if they can print 20x30 as well.

tcn33
11th August 2006, 11:05 PM
No dice - seems the "newer" Big W stores have nice, new digital labs that can print 30x20. If you&#39;re out in suburbia, tough luck :(

benny gsr
11th August 2006, 11:58 PM
TCN 33: Discovered exactly the same thing today &#33; Forest Hill too..... I bet if it was the same girl at the counter she would have been like: What?

But I went to the Fuji shop outside Kmart Burwood: 30x20" = &#036;29.95. The guy there says their printer they send to prints at 256dpi, and that 300 dpi files are fine. (i have 400 dpi Tif)

Anyone seen the RGB digital CANVASES ? How is the resolution ? I am contemplating this instead of photo ?

leonessa
15th August 2006, 09:59 AM
great&#33; thanks for sharing

Heidi-Lee
17th October 2006, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know of any Big W stores in Sydney that do 20x30?

admiral31
17th October 2006, 10:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benny gsr &#064; Aug 11 2006, 11&#58;58 PM) 203984</div>

TCN 33: Discovered exactly the same thing today &#33; Forest Hill too..... I bet if it was the same girl at the counter she would have been like: What?

But I went to the Fuji shop outside Kmart Burwood: 30x20" = &#036;29.95. The guy there says their printer they send to prints at 256dpi, and that 300 dpi files are fine. (i have 400 dpi Tif)

Anyone seen the RGB digital CANVASES ? How is the resolution ? I am contemplating this instead of photo ?
[/b]

I used the Fuji Shop outside Kmart as well. They seemed pretty switched on, and the results were great.

purana
17th October 2006, 10:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alessiman &#064; Aug 10 2006, 08&#58;53 PM) 203533</div>

I assume your using iPhoto 6?

I&#39;ve done that step as well but when I goto print, the paper selection I created in Manage Custom Sizes cannot be selected.

The paper size always reverts back to U.S Letter

Frustrating is a word that comes to mind these last few days
[/b]

This is a known problem on iPhoto 6.

It only allows you to print to papersizes your default printer supports, so you will never be able to select the custom poster size you set.

I believe you need to setup a printer that can print say A1 and then when you select that fake printer, the custom size will be available. Of course you then print using save pdf (rather then selecting print to send it to the non existant fake printer you have setup).

EDIT: and it seems finding a place for decent price is hit and miss. One place quoted &#036;66, and I believe its cause they have to courier it out and back (as they dont have the ability to print it onsite). Last time I did it I paid about &#036;45, and this time around about the same price.

Would be nice to get it cheaper, but its hard to find a place that seems to do it onsite (and I can get to them in certain hours with affecting work). short of having a day off.

tcn33
17th October 2006, 11:37 AM
Maybe this week I will finally get around to testing out the QV Big W - I&#39;ve been carrying around the PDF on a thumb drive for months now.

tcn33
26th February 2007, 01:17 PM
Aaaaaaand four months later I finally got around to it. The QV Big W may have done 20" by 30" prints at one point, but they don't now.

However, there's a Camera House location at QV, and they couldn't have been more helpful. While they don't do 20" by 30", they do 18" by 24" ($24.95) and 24" by 36" ($49.95). I went with 24" by 36" and I'm picking it up this afternoon. Will try to post some pics tonight if anyone's interested.

Note: saw on the QV website that this particular location also does photo books:

First in Australia. Do more than just print your photos! Make your vey own hard cover photo books at Camera House Digital, QV. It's easy, fun, created in minutes and ready to collect in about an hour!Early Bird Special - Order one book and get the 2nd one at half price!

tcn33
27th February 2007, 05:29 AM
The poster came out absolutely fantastic. Nice heavy stock, not too glossy. 24" by 36" is also really big, so I think 18" by 24" might be a viable alternative (especially at half the price).

The guy I was dealing with was also very willing to experiment with printing iPhoto books - I just need to figure out how to export them from iPhoto into a format other than .mov. The first thing I'll try is to "print" it to PDF and then use Preview to save the individual pages as TIFFs.

They do the 8x11.5" books (or 11.5x8") at $29.95 with six double-sided pages included, but extra pages are only $1 each. They also do 12x12" books.

(note: I really don't have anything to do with Camera House - I'm just really impressed)

p53
10th August 2007, 11:12 PM
for those who used RGB Digital, did you go for the lustre or glossy?

p53
25th August 2007, 12:59 AM
well i'll answer my own question... i went for lustre. i got 2 posters done. really happy with the results. turnaround time was fantastic. i paid on wednesday just before midday, and they were waiting for me this arvo when i got home.