PDA

View Full Version : One Million iPhones Sold in 74 Days

Mac Ram
11th September 2007, 07:32 PM
See link http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/10/millionth/index.php

"Apple reported Monday that it has sold its one millionth iPhone, well ahead of its previously stated end of September timeframe.
In noting the milestone in a press release, Apple CEO Steve Jobs explained that it took almost two years to reach the same sales goal with the iPod, while the iPhone took a mere 74 days.
"We can't wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season," said Jobs."

It's a different world to when the ipod was first released (Apples popularity has increased for one thing), but even so it's quite an achievement.

When will they arrive here? Oi Jobsy...when!!

Apologies if already posted - my search Fu didn't find anything.

Dante Kyar
11th September 2007, 07:48 PM
what did they say they were aiming for when the first announced the iphone... something about what percentage of the market they wanted to penetrate...

iSlayer
11th September 2007, 07:48 PM
Pretty impressive. Would be interesting to know how long it took other phones to reach 1 million

toholio
11th September 2007, 07:55 PM
what did they say they were aiming for when the first announced the iphone... something about what percentage of the market they wanted to penetrate...

10 million in one year. Roughly 1% of the global market.

decryption
11th September 2007, 08:03 PM
Let's not also forget it isnt' on sale anywhere except the US.
Unleash this thing in Asia and Europe (mobile phone crazy countries) and they'll reach 10 million in a few months :D

rickyd
11th September 2007, 08:06 PM
Unleash this thing in Asia and Europe (mobile phone crazy countries) and they'll reach 10 million in a few months :D

Exactly...

andrew.wilson
11th September 2007, 08:06 PM
I read they are guessing end of 2008...kind of confirming a release in other continents before then ;)

OziMac
11th September 2007, 08:09 PM
Wasn't it 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008?

If sales are linear, that's 740 days from 29 June 2007, which is well past 31 December 2008.

Better hope the price drop, international markets and new 3g models start accelerating the process!

nbetts
11th September 2007, 08:31 PM
yeah but factor in a software unlock now... no being tied to contracrts... that could impact sales.

I wonder how many of these million are not on an AT&T contract

DJY
11th September 2007, 08:34 PM
When will they arrive here?

Not soon enough!!!!

iSlayer
11th September 2007, 08:34 PM
10 million in 2008 is ambitious but who knows. It's still such a new product so sales are just going to grow faster and faster

Mac Ram
11th September 2007, 08:38 PM
10 million in 2008 is ambitious but who knows. It's still such a new product so sales are just going to grow faster and faster

Exactly. I reckon if sales stay linear, it will be viewed as a "flop". Such is the market expectation of Apple nowadays.

Atomac
11th September 2007, 08:43 PM
I don't imagine for one moment that when Steve said 10 million by the end of 2008 he was being anything other than conservative.

Better to under-promise and over achieve. They'll make 10 million easily.

Aa
11th September 2007, 09:18 PM
The iPhone is practically a beta phase limited release product at the moment.

They'll make their target no worries.

Shere Khaan
11th September 2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I really hope they get all the software improved for the future versions. It will be a truly amazing piece of technology with a few hardware additions and better software functionality.

COCOA
11th September 2007, 09:54 PM
Greetings,

A good post to come in on.

iPhone is a revolutionary product that offers a broader than normal experience of the migrating technologies with the ease and simplicity of Apple products. I too look forward to its arrival here in Australia. I'm looking forward to seeing some tasty apps. :D

Originally Posted by decryption
Unleash this thing in Asia and Europe (mobile phone crazy countries) and they'll reach 10 million in a few months

Right on!