PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver MX 2004

konni
9th February 2005, 01:25 PM
I recently bought the G5 imac 1.6 put a GB of RAM so that I could run Dreamweaver MX 2004 - it just wouldn't run without crashing on the G4.

It works now but I still experience serious lags when working on pages with any more than minimal content when I'm adding and editing text. Has anyone else experienced this?

iSlayer
9th February 2005, 01:28 PM
definatly not nomal.
i run it on my 400mhz g4 powerbook and it runs fine.
the only lag is when i open it or switch back to it.

my dual g5 is smooth at all times.
your imac should not lag at all.
check for an update and repair the permission on your HD

Disko
9th February 2005, 01:32 PM
Hey konni - i got the entire MX 2004 studio when i got my powerbook... It all runs like a dog. So much so, that i've become much less reliant on dreamweaver and now use a basic text editor. Every now and again, i'll fire it up to do something, and in the process quickly realise why i try not to use it anymore.

I can't wait till Macromedia *fix* the dreamweaver 'dogact'. :)

konni
9th February 2005, 01:38 PM
Aw heck! By the time my screen refreshed with my post you guys had already posted. I'm on serious broadband shaping at the moment until my next month kicks in. Not for a week (sigh). Even so - you were quick!

OK. So I'll go for the patch and repair permissions (when I can download again). Disko - are you on G4 or 5?

Disko
9th February 2005, 01:41 PM
Powerbook = G4 1GHz, 1GB Ram

geektechnu
9th February 2005, 01:49 PM
If you can't get Dreamweaver working, consider trying Nvu:

http://www.nvu.com/download.html

It's pretty good (actually, very good) for a 100% open source program.
Based on Mozilla's Gecko engine. Originally intended for Linux, but now available for osx & win.

Been using it for a while - very good for the price ;)

iSlayer
9th February 2005, 01:56 PM
or try sub etha edit(free for non-comercial use).
ive tried a few different editors and i still strongly believe DW is the best app but if the slowness is that bad then maybe they are worth considering

iluvmymactoo
9th February 2005, 02:16 PM
I don't understand I have the entire Dreamweaver Studio MX 2004 on my iBook and it runs fine.

napes
9th February 2005, 04:02 PM
It was rough as guts on my machine too until I downloaded the update/patch - a lot more stable now but still a bit slow. Considering how fast and stable the older versions were, it's a shame that it's gone this way...

konni
9th February 2005, 04:12 PM
Well I can understand why MX didn't run on my G4 - as it was only 450Mhz. You would think it should run fine on Disko's system and my G5. To clarify though - it doesn't always text lag.
I'm never sure whether problems like this are my lack of knowledge to run OS X at optimum.

Lets see - I've just run disk repairs - but not rebooted. I'm assuming that's not necessary (unlike OS9). I can't download and update DW till next week - so it's version 7.0.

To test: I've opened an existed page (also have photoshop, suitcase, word,stickies, entourage and safari open). Begin typing new text - all goes well. Copy and paste. Throw in a few more images. All OK. Throw in a 10 x 6 col table - add text... OK now I've got lag. If I type 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' by the time I'm finished the word jumps is appearing. That's a good 3 secs.

I just tested again and the lag has gone. So it's intermittent. Damn thing's having one of it's better moments. I'll get back here when I've tried the patch.

moo
9th February 2005, 04:29 PM
No problems here on G4 Powerbook: 1.5ghz and 1.5gig RAM :)

paulharrop
9th February 2005, 04:48 PM
I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Fireworks MX 2004 on my eMac 1.25ghz with 1 gig Ram and it works like a treat. I use it nearly everyday and have built heaps of webpages with no issues.

Paul

konni
2nd March 2005, 08:42 AM
Phew... I got really busy there... and then remembered I was gonna complete this topic.

I did the repair permissions - probably a good idea but didn't fix the problems. So when I got my full broadband back and downloaded the MX Patch - things definately improved with the lag - thankfully.

I'm still inclined to think that the previous version of Dreamweaver MX was better in terms of the user interface especially the CSS access. Dreamweaver makes a lot of the dvelopment easy but it's cludgy somehow. I really miss BBEdit - I stopped upgrading some time back. There must be something which gives a sleeker but as productive workflow - a blend of the two?

gmask1
2nd March 2005, 09:05 AM
The Dreamweaver 7.0.1 patch fixed nearly all my problems, and made the app usable. I've no issues with it now, and am using it for my website on a daily basis! (http://art.gmaskew.com and http://www.gmaskew.com)

The 7.0.0 release was awful!