PDA

View Full Version : g5 power mac fan problem

sean
9th February 2005, 12:37 PM
The problem

I've had my dual g5 for a couple of monthes, and have got used to how noisy the fans are when the processors are oscillating anywher over 35% 45%.

Over the last couple of days the top fan located behind the cd drive has been starting and cranking non stop at noisy high speeds, and not stoping. This is happening fifteen minutes or so after I switch on the machine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers sean

iSlayer
9th February 2005, 12:39 PM
reset pram.
boot into open firmware
and type reset-nvram enter
then type setdefaults and enter
i think they are the commands.

if that doesnt work reinstall the os

Ozi
9th February 2005, 12:42 PM
Th G5s are known for having this problem, and im not sure if the above can help it. :(

I think you actually have to take them into get serviced, as there is a fault with the temperature sensors which means they think the CPU is too hot, so the fans run flat out to cool it down, even though the CPU is at a normal temperature.

iSlayer
9th February 2005, 12:48 PM
it may solve it or it may not.
as Ozi said its a known problem with g5's and apple will look at it and fix it under warrenty.

is it definatly only the drive bay fan.
it is always the loudest but id expect all the fans to be faster not just one

sean
9th February 2005, 01:07 PM
Yea, its only the drive bay fan. All others appear to be running at normal speeds.
It just sits at a constant high speed...........weird

iSlayer
9th February 2005, 01:13 PM
id reset all those things and re-install the OS.
those things work for some people but not everyone

Currawong
9th February 2005, 02:10 PM
If you have fan problems with your G5, then you need to run the diagnostic disk that tech's have which can re-calibrate the fans. It takes around 30 minutes.