PDA

View Full Version : How to procure an iPhone in Australia?

Pages : [1] 2 3

craigdmb@mac.com
7th September 2007, 11:10 AM
Hi All,

I am sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I cant find it. I would like to but the reduced $299 4gb iphone from the US but dont know anyone who lives in the US. I beleive there is a service that forwards mail from a US postal address to and Aussie one. Does anyone know the name of this service? I could buy off Ebay, but the prices seem highly inflated.

Also has anyone software unlocked their devices yet or is it still a hardware based unlock that works.

Thanks

Craig

petersracing
7th September 2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.usglobalmail.com/default.asp

This was mentioned previously. I havent used them myself as my mates sister lives in Chicago.

Linux_insidev2
7th September 2007, 12:19 PM
damn,

I wish i'd known of that before I payed ~$900 for my iphone on ebay :(

Seon
9th September 2007, 09:48 PM
Is there any way to buy an iPhone from Oz? Are there any people/companies that are selling hacked iPhones?

My Nokia N80 just started playing up and I was looking at getting a new phone, and though the N95 seemed like a nice option, I eventually want an iPhone.

Anyone purchased an iPhone from OS?

MightyAtom
9th September 2007, 11:24 PM
If you have a spare USD$799 these people (http://www.international-orders.com/index.php?keyword=iphone&Search=Search&Itemid=192&option=com_emporium&page=shop.browse) claim to sell unlocked iPhones, I've never bought from them however.

Alessiman
11th September 2007, 04:32 PM
There were 3 of them supposedly unlocked going on ebay for $US700 last night. I sent a PM to the guy selling them and he was happy for me to try it with my sim card before buying. We are both based in Melbourne

Considering I was going to get work to send me one over. I was happy to pay the $100 or so premium and get one now. I also dont have to worry about unlocking it. Though work is still a backup if the ebay deal falls to shit. But the guy seemed genuine enough

Seon
11th September 2007, 04:37 PM
Did they all sell? Do you have an email or contact info for me to contact him? Im also in Melb.. and would love to speak to him.

Just PM me if you have his contact details.

Cheers :)

lenman74
11th September 2007, 04:46 PM
I bought mine from an ebay vendor called extremelectronix. he has one on there now with the following item number.

No hesitation in recommending. All was good. Even got a tax invoice to salary sacrifice it.

Alessiman
11th September 2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not comfortable giving you his number. But this is one of the ebay links. Just say you got it searching on past auction results

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130152195777&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:11

Good luck. I know I got the last one. Do what I do and ask for a demo before buying.

I am not the winning bid on that auction. My feedback is way better!

Seon
11th September 2007, 05:34 PM
I bought mine from an ebay vendor called extremelectronix. he has one on there now with the following item number.

No hesitation in recommending. All was good. Even got a tax invoice to salary sacrifice it.

Pretty steep price considering it still has to be un-locked.

After going through all the un-locking threads online, it's done my head in and I really don't want the hassles, and just want to buy an un-locked iPhone.

decryption
12th September 2007, 12:34 PM
Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne I can get an iPhone? (for $550-600 or so)
I'm sick of not having one and now that the unlock looks good, I think I'll give it a shot :D

mechcon
12th September 2007, 12:35 PM
Don't you want a proper one when they come out in australia? patience grasshopper :P

decryption
12th September 2007, 12:36 PM
Don't you want a proper one when they come out in australia? patience grasshopper :P

Nope! I want one now! I'l get the Australian one when the Australian one is out and have *two* iPhones :D

tcn33
12th September 2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. My dad's heading to the US in October, but if there's anyplace to get them here sooner then I might have to do it.

spargo
12th September 2007, 12:39 PM
have friend in NYC right now. coming back on sunday. what a dillemma!

W9cae
12th September 2007, 12:42 PM
The free unlock does make me want join into all the fun & action.

But reality check all it takes is an update from Apple & all these hacked phones could be bricked.

I have even courted the idea of using an iPhone in Australia on an AT&T plan. But that just insanity talking.

OziMac
12th September 2007, 12:45 PM
I bought an extra one that's still sealed, just in case.

After the price drop though, it's going straight to my partner. Sorry Anth ;)

However, I'd recommend using one of those redirection services and getting on to one of those 4GB runout models before they head out. $299 is such an awesome price, I'm green.

mechcon
12th September 2007, 12:46 PM
seriously, some of you people have money to burn, why not donate to MTAU instead? :P

mechcon
12th September 2007, 12:50 PM
Shot in the dark, any of you adelaide folk got money to burn to get one? wouldn't mind seeing one!

(no I wont buy one now thank you very much.. just want to see what it's like so I can go "yeah I'll casually wait till next year") :P

iSlayer
12th September 2007, 12:53 PM
Even if you find one locally it will probably have a big markup.
4gb + redirection service is the way to go

fojean
12th September 2007, 12:57 PM
I bought an extra one that's still sealed, just in case.

After the price drop though, it's going straight to my partner. Sorry Anth ;)

However, I'd recommend using one of those redirection services and getting on to one of those 4GB runout models before they head out. $299 is such an awesome price, I'm green.

..can you suggest a re-direction service (US mailing address service I'm assuming) that you have used or know that others have used?

thanks

tcn33
12th September 2007, 01:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you also need a credit card with a US billing address to buy from the US Apple store?

decryption
12th September 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm not going to pay extra - I have a friend in the US who can buy me an 8GB iPhone from an Apple store for $399 and will ship it for whatever it costs (probably US$50) via FedEx. Once currencies are converted, it works out to $550 (including a tip for my mate in the US). I'd pay upto $600 to get it tonight/tomorrow if there's some already in the country, otherwise I'll get it direct :)

toholio
12th September 2007, 01:51 PM
4gb + redirection service is the way to go

I wouldn't bother with the redirection service. Seems like a lot of hassle and extra cost.

Aren't there any trusted MacTalk members going to the U.S.A. that feel like running a brief iPhone posting service while they are there? Ok... maybe not. :p

There are some Mac retailers in the U.S.A. which will ship internationally. I bought a Keyspan USB-serial adapter from a mob called Mac Pro (http://www.mac-pro.com/) last year. They have the iPhone at $429 (http://www.mac-pro.com/Apple-iPhone) plus around $40 shipping. Still a premium but better than what people are paying on eBay.

tcn33
12th September 2007, 02:00 PM
There are some Mac retailers in the U.S.A. which will ship internationally. I bought a Keyspan USB-serial adapter from a mob called Mac Pro (http://www.mac-pro.com/) last year. They have the iPhone at $429 (http://www.mac-pro.com/Apple-iPhone) plus around $40 shipping. Still a premium but better than what people are paying on eBay.

Whoa, and they accept Paypal as well. I just might have to do it...

fojean
12th September 2007, 02:15 PM
..Mac Pro sounds like the way to go...shipping for me came to $9.75US....how cheap is that??

Toholio - I trust that you received your adapter right???

decryption
12th September 2007, 02:25 PM
Mac Pro does look awesome - is there any other way I can verify that I'll get it the iPhone in a speedy manner?

W9cae
12th September 2007, 02:27 PM
I have just sent a m8 who is a mac guy a message as he live real close to where Mac Pro is located. It still is allot of money to spend.

LOL grammar looks like I am tripping. Ya iPhone fever LOL

toholio
12th September 2007, 02:31 PM
..Mac Pro sounds like the way to go...shipping for me came to $9.75US....how cheap is that??

I think you'll find shipping is more than that. For some reason the shipping estimator thinks Melbourne is in Hawaii.

Toholio - I trust that you received your adapter right???

Yes, they shipped it quickly. I'd trust them to deliver an iPhone. A real store in another country is better than some random guy on eBay.

tcn33
12th September 2007, 02:34 PM
Mac Pro does look awesome - is there any other way I can verify that I'll get it the iPhone in a speedy manner?
I think I'll let you be the guinea pig Anthony :)

toholio
12th September 2007, 02:35 PM

Well, unless someone else has bought something from them we only have my one experience to go by.

They do list their international shipping policy (http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.51/.f). The pertinent part is:
Mac Pro International Service will send your product via the most efficient method to get your product to you as soon as possible usually via Global Express Mail or Global Priority Mail.

decryption
12th September 2007, 02:35 PM
I think I'll let you be the guinea pig Anthony :)

I got up to the point where I was logging into PayPal and decided to be smart, and wait.
*sigh*

I really want HSDPA (then I could probably use 3, or at least Virgin).

My iPod Touch is coming soon, only 2 weeks :(

W9cae
12th September 2007, 02:36 PM
Yes I agree I used another mac store Mac Connection to get a Belking USB / Firewire hub for my mini. As they dont sell down here for some strange reason. Problem with them international orders you have to place by phone & they ship expensive 2 day method. But they do get the goods to ya.

Just did a check & Mac Connection dont have iPhone only acc stuff.

grorr76
12th September 2007, 02:39 PM
I got up to the point where I was logging into PayPal and decided to be smart, and wait.
*sigh*

I really want HSDPA (then I could probably use 3, or at least Virgin).

My iPod Touch is coming soon, only 2 weeks :(

i know how you feel, i cant wait for mine but im not gonna rush out and buy an iphone, we let our passion get the best of our senses somedays, when it comes to ones toys.

W9cae
12th September 2007, 02:45 PM
The $429 price Mac Pro charges looks to be cost with sales tax. Being a small shop he just charges everyone local tax. Which I could live with for the connivence of a good US source for goods not avil in Oz.

If this unlock looks good by friday I may order ?

nicwithsticks
12th September 2007, 02:47 PM
I haven't ordered a touch yet, I was going to. This makes me want to reconsider. I'm just in a pickle though, because i'm on three, who's SIMs do not work in the iPhone.

DAMN IT!

W9cae
12th September 2007, 02:50 PM
Well my buddy that lives close to Mac Pro has never shopped with them but does confirm $429 is the price one would pay with tax.

I will mull this over till friday then make my mind. Thanks for the great link !

W9cae
12th September 2007, 02:56 PM
Decryption if I do decide to get an iPhone seeing your more techy in terminal than I would you help me get the unlock running ?

kche3572
12th September 2007, 03:32 PM
so how much in total will it cost from Mac-Pro? (including postage)
thx alot

Cherrs,
Lawrence:D

petersracing
12th September 2007, 03:35 PM

Must be nice to be smart - I just ordered from Mac-Pro. Guess we'll see soon enough.

EDIT: $US470 inc freight

kche3572
12th September 2007, 03:43 PM
so it's around the price for a 16 GB touch:rolleyes:
still in the couldn't decide whether I should get a iphone or 8 GB touch:confused:

jeloz
12th September 2007, 03:46 PM
..can you suggest a re-direction service (US mailing address service I'm assuming) that you have used or know that others have used?

thanks

Access USA - http://www.myus.com/

Only works in Firefox to log in

Jeloz

toholio
12th September 2007, 04:15 PM
Must be nice to be smart - I just ordered from Mac-Pro. Guess we'll see soon enough.

EDIT: $US470 inc freight

Make sure you keep us up to date on how long it takes to arrive and so forth.

I wouldn't bother waiting except that I'm stuck in a contract with Three and their USIMS apparently wont work in the iPhone. :(

Hopefully, one of the European models will be 3G but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps it's time to get a pre-paid SIM for use with an iPhone and forward all my calls to it. :p

petersracing
12th September 2007, 04:47 PM
Make sure you keep us up to date on how long it takes to arrive and so forth.

I'll keep you informed OK. There are about 5 other guys on the project we are on who will probably order in the next day or two so we should find out pretty quickly how responsive they are.

petersracing
12th September 2007, 06:31 PM
If you dont get any more immediate offers it looks like mine will arrive in a week or so and I'm in Adelaide every weekend..

fompsweeva
12th September 2007, 06:38 PM
Hmm I saw one when I was in the states but I didn't bring one home to Adelaide. Sorry.

Disko
12th September 2007, 06:40 PM
I have like 20 iPhones that i'm using for book ends I haven't seen one yet either... I heard Gaehl had a couple?

mechcon
12th September 2007, 07:13 PM
oh? mtau meet @ pub methinks :P

Tejas
12th September 2007, 08:27 PM
please keep us informed... i'm thinking seriously about ordering mine on thursday next week.

STK
12th September 2007, 08:49 PM
Many people around here have been talking about buying iPhones. But where to buy them?
People who have brought them without any hassles let us know here. There are many scams out there! :cool:

Note: If you brought them overseas and brought them back here please don't post. Many of us will not go to america just to buy an iPhone ;)

OziMac
12th September 2007, 08:59 PM
Shouldn't we retitle this thread: I want an iPhone, and I want to know the cheapest way to get it?

STK
12th September 2007, 09:02 PM
Feel free :)

OziMac
12th September 2007, 09:04 PM
You can do it yourself you know :)

We had a discussion about it in the unlocking thread but Mac-Pro (http://www.mac-pro.com/Apple-iPhone) seems to be the best option for most.

STK
12th September 2007, 09:16 PM
i just did but it never changes it fully :@

W9cae
12th September 2007, 09:19 PM
I was just reading over on Whirlpool the Mac-Pro folks do not ship iPhone overseas. Someone on overclockers had emailed them about cost of shipping and were told no overseas orders.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=787199&r=12949993#r12949993

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=806037&p=11

Linux_insidev2
12th September 2007, 09:34 PM
i bought mine off a user called littlenewbie on ebay.

petersracing
12th September 2007, 09:47 PM
On another thread they said mac-pro refused to ship overseas so I may yet get a disappointing email tomorrow.

MightyAtom
12th September 2007, 09:56 PM
i bought mine off a user called littlenewbie on ebay.
Same, I'm waiting for mine to arrive though. Just departed Chicago, I went for cheap shipping and am starting to regret it. Since last Thursday it's only made it from Minneapolis to Chicago. Did you do USPS or Fedex? how long did it take?

choy
12th September 2007, 10:06 PM
dude sign up for AccessUSA or USglobalmail and import it yourself from the US. Unless you *want* to be screwed by guys who will mark the price up 100%.

MightyAtom
12th September 2007, 10:11 PM
dude sign up for AccessUSA or USglobalmail and import it yourself from the US. Unless you *want* to be screwed by guys who will mark the price up 100%.
The eBay prices aren't that high at the moment I only paid USD$440, and you can't buy from the Apple on-line store without an American credit card so buying options are pretty limited.

nop
13th September 2007, 01:55 AM
I can't stand it anymore I'm getting one! I'm lucky enough to have a relative in the US, after an email he was fine about going to his local Apple Store and picking me up an 8gig iPhone.

I have a few question to those who have done the same...

How much did you pay to get it back here?

Fedex? DHL?

Was there any hidden costs GST? etc

What is the box size and weight?

Cheers!

petersracing
13th September 2007, 06:07 AM
Mac-pro cancelled my order so I'm going back to my mates sister.

seaQuest_AMD
13th September 2007, 06:20 AM
Same, I'm waiting for mine to arrive though. Just departed Chicago, I went for cheap shipping and am starting to regret it. Since last Thursday it's only made it from Minneapolis to Chicago. Did you do USPS or Fedex? how long did it take?

I brought of the same guy on eBay as well.

He must be racking it in at the moment.

Mine has an eta of 17th September (18th September Australia) delivery time, from the USPS track an trace, its left O'Hare Chicago International, so my guess is the phone could be in Australia tonight and receive it tomorrow, or Monday, a little earlier than expected.

skip
13th September 2007, 08:03 AM
I found his prices expensive (it's all relative, but still, double the US price is a bit rich).

8 GB ones are going for $350 at the US refurb store, so if you know someone in the US, it'll cost less than $500 to get one shipped here. No way in hell that I'd pay ~$1000 for one (which seems to be the going rate).

decryption
13th September 2007, 08:12 AM
Anyone know of any other US online-resellers who will ship to Australia?

Tejas
13th September 2007, 08:16 AM
i'm waiting till feb for mine now. my mum is going to LA for her honeymoon and told me she will pick me one up. i'll be getting an 8gig for retail!

tcn33
13th September 2007, 08:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you also need a credit card with a US billing address to buy from the US Apple store?
Now I'm wondering if I was wrong about this. Has anyone tried it?

Linux_insidev2
13th September 2007, 09:00 AM

I got mune USPS Express, quoted date was supposed to be today actually, and I had it on monday instead lol, took 4 days to get to me :D

Chicago is international dispatch I beleive.

I brought of the same guy on eBay as well.

He must be racking it in at the moment.

Mine has an eta of 17th September (18th September Australia) delivery time, from the USPS track an trace, its left O'Hare Chicago International, so my guess is the phone could be in Australia tonight and receive it tomorrow, or Monday, a little earlier than expected.

It's likely, mine only took 4 days total, ordered it thursday, and it arrived on the monday.

W9cae
13th September 2007, 09:32 AM
Well it seems the only way to get iPhone in Australia. Is to fly over to the US, have a m8 buy or eBay.

With the amount of interest on MacTalk makes one wonder if we could charter a plane ?

STK
13th September 2007, 09:36 AM
Bulk Buy :p

TheKeddi
13th September 2007, 09:51 AM
Well you could always get the one on ebay completely unlocked for $1500! lol

seaQuest_AMD
13th September 2007, 09:52 AM
It's likely, mine only took 4 days total, ordered it thursday, and it arrived on the monday.

Sweet, might be in tomorrow, I ordered on Tuesday.

Linux_insidev2
13th September 2007, 09:55 AM
Sweet, might be in tomorrow, I ordered on Tuesday.

Cool, you going to do the software unlock I gather?

W9cae
13th September 2007, 10:01 AM
Anyway back in reality check, even if a bunch of us were to rush over to the US. By the time we did so an announcement will have taken place about the iPhone for Europe.

I am thinking Apple will be smart & let Australia have sometime early in the new year. Seeing as so much interest is down here. There is more commentary by Australians to get iPhone working than any other country.

Linux_insidev2
13th September 2007, 10:04 AM
Anyway back in reality check, even if a bunch of us were to rush over to the US. By the time we did so an announcement will have taken place about the iPhone for Europe.

I am thinking Apple will be smart & let Australia have sometime early in the new year. Seeing as so much interest is down here. There is more commentary by Australians to get iPhone working than any other country.

buy one of littlenewbie if you're really desperate to get one, i got mine off him and had it within 4 days - heres a link to him > http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZlittlenewbie

seaQuest_AMD
13th September 2007, 10:05 AM
Cool, you going to do the software unlock I gather?

Thats the plan, but I STUPIDLY paid for the unlock from Aussie iPhone, and from what I understand they take an excitingly long time to get the unlock out to people, so its probably going to be the freebie.

toholio
13th September 2007, 10:14 AM
Mac-pro cancelled my order so I'm going back to my mates sister.

:(

Did they give a reason?

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up over Mac-Pro. I assumed they ship the iPhone just the same as they ship everything else.

MightyAtom
13th September 2007, 10:17 AM
Anyone know of any other US online-resellers who will ship to Australia?
This store (http://www.international-orders.com/index.php?keyword=iphone&Search=Search&Itemid=192&option=com_emporium&page=shop.browse&vmcchk=1) has 8GB iPhones for USD$499. I haven't bought from them and have absolutely no idea how reliable they are.

W9cae
13th September 2007, 10:19 AM
This is what they said to me:

That item is not exportable.

Mike

On Sep 12, 2007, at 5:53 AM, Scott wrote:

G'day

A m8 of mine in the bay area has told me you can ship international. I was wondering if this is possible with iPhone ? What is the cost of shipping to Melbourne Australia ?

Thank you Scott

TheKeddi
13th September 2007, 10:21 AM
If Apple really wanted it all locked to AT&T they would have only sold it through the AT&T stores where you had to sign a contract first.

Apple selling it through their own stores opened it up to everyone.

Good on them! hehehe I want one now and don't think I can wait till it comes out here!

W9cae
13th September 2007, 10:24 AM
The "international orders" place is actually quiet good. If you buy online from Iomega thats who they use. But they charge a premium for the service. Kinda like personal shopper. But still our cheapest option here in Australia.

petersracing
13th September 2007, 11:14 AM
Did they give a reason?

After a number of further emails with them I'm none the wiser but the answer is a firm "no".

:(
Sorry to get everyone's hopes up over Mac-Pro. I assumed they ship the iPhone just the same as they ship everything else.

That wasn't an unreasonable assumption. I suspect though that the dealers are being "coached" about overseas sales. The responses people are getting from all over are very uniform.

Huy
13th September 2007, 08:26 PM
buy one of littlenewbie if you're really desperate to get one, i got mine off him and had it within 4 days - heres a link to him > http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZlittlenewbie
Prices are a little high, even for the 4GB.

You can get the 8GB one for cheaper ($500 US + $55 US shipping).
$660 AUD compared to about ~$800 littlenewbie is selling it for.

Febs
13th September 2007, 08:52 PM
*Very confused*

So these aren't sold on contracts? ie: $299/$399USD is the outright price? So all the stuff about "you have to connect to AT&T etc..." is just to get it working (ignoring the fact that hacks exist), but you're not legally bound to a contract or anything after you pay your initial outlay?

Heading to the US on Saturday, but sadly the iPhone just doesn't do it for me at all (which is hard to say, being a huge Apple fan of close to 20 years). :(

Cheers,
- Febs.

OziMac
13th September 2007, 08:55 PM
Why are you even contemplating getting one then Febs? :(

This is the deal: you are under no obligation to pay anything extra with the iPhone until you activate it through AT&T and agree to be locked into a contract for 2 years.

If you choose to activate and unlock it using the tools available online, you do not have to go through the process of activating a service with AT&T and hence, you're not bound to anything.

Febs
13th September 2007, 09:07 PM
Why are you even contemplating getting one then Febs? :(

I'm not contemplating getting one at all...?

This is the deal: you are under no obligation to pay anything extra with the iPhone until you activate it through AT&T and agree to be locked into a contract for 2 years.

If you choose to activate and unlock it using the tools available online, you do not have to go through the process of activating a service with AT&T and hence, you're not bound to anything.

Thought that must've been the case. Cheers.

Maticks
13th September 2007, 09:18 PM
im going to the USA on Sunday to San Fran :)
im already bringing back a few iphones so can take anymore :(
anymore and ill get done for iphone trafficking.

Well it seems the only way to get iPhone in Australia. Is to fly over to the US, have a m8 buy or eBay.

With the amount of interest on MacTalk makes one wonder if we could charter a plane ?

Febs
13th September 2007, 09:44 PM
im already bringing back a few iphones so can take anymore :(
anymore and ill get done for iphone trafficking.

More worrying would be getting caught at Customs and having to pay duty on all of them, as they push you over your $900 personal items limit. :)

toholio
13th September 2007, 10:13 PM
I was looking at the possibility of signing up with Access U.S.A. and getting Mac-Pro to send an iPhone there but their online price seems to have shot through the roof. It's now US $490 (http://www.mac-pro.com/Apple-iPhone). Wow! They must be hoping to force internet shoppers onto eBay.

Huy
14th September 2007, 06:06 AM
Mac-Pro now ship to Australia, after raising the price to $490 USD.

tcn33
14th September 2007, 06:57 AM
So they've confirmed they are now willing to do it, after the series of denials they gave W9cae?

Huy
14th September 2007, 07:41 AM
Yes they have. Originally they said no, but now that they've jacked up the prices (for a tidy profit of about $90 USD) they have agreed to post it to Sydney.

Shipping is approx. $41 for the first 5, they said. The site will calculate the shipping cost automatically.

Still works out to be cheaper than eBay now (about $20 USD but it's better than nothing, half the cost of shipping :-P)

eBay: $555 incl. shipping (reputable power seller, 500 for the phone, 55 for shipping)
Mac-Pro: $530 incl. shipping (approx, 490 + about 40 they said)

petersracing
14th September 2007, 08:29 AM
I got this from them this morning

"We raised the price of the iPhone, in order to cover the costs, we now ship to you, please go online and make your order"

I'm not going on line to make an order! Its a big margin to cover some mythical "costs" but more importantly I wont be part of setting a nasty precendent for overseas buyers (me) in the future. It certainly is worth the wait to see what the 18th Sept announcment brings.

Tejas
14th September 2007, 08:31 AM
Yes they have. Originally they said no, but now that they've jacked up the prices (for a tidy profit of about $90 USD) they have agreed to post it to Sydney.

Shipping is approx. $41 for the first 5, they said. The site will calculate the shipping cost automatically.

Still works out to be cheaper than eBay now (about $20 USD but it's better than nothing, half the cost of shipping :-P)

eBay: $555 incl. shipping (reputable power seller, 500 for the phone, 55 for shipping)
Mac-Pro: $530 incl. shipping (approx, 490 + about 40 they said)

I Just spoke to macpro on the phone. a guy by the name of Ed confirmed to me they do ship here.

Linux_insidev2
14th September 2007, 08:46 AM

"We raised the price of the iPhone, in order to cover the costs, we now ship to you, please go online and make your order"

I'm not going on line to make an order! Its a big margin to cover some mythical "costs" but more importantly I wont be part of setting a nasty precendent for overseas buyers (me) in the future. It certainly is worth the wait to see what the 18th Sept announcment brings.

the only way they could get it in without paying massive stamp duty would be to send it "as a gift" - which is impossible because they would get caught red handed from all the ones they are going to be sent out.

decryption
14th September 2007, 09:11 AM

Yep, this is exactly what I'm doing.
Mac-Pro are idiots for jacking up the price for no reason except to gouge overseas buyers.

fojean
14th September 2007, 09:11 AM
hey all..

Just bought my 8gb iPhone from the Apple store!! My brother has a colleague that works in the US whom is more than happy to have it sent to his resodence and have it shipped to Oz!!!

Put the order through and it accepted my Oz credit card details no worries!!

Chose next day delivery ($16) + tax and all up amount is $439 US= $525AUD approx.

Can't wait to get my hands on it now!!!

W9cae
14th September 2007, 09:49 AM
This is the email I got from Mac-Pro today. Guess they had a change of heart. After seeing all the extra busness they can get. Being an independent Apple dealer in the USA must be murder. But also I do wonder if Apple has told online retailers to sell I phone to anyone. So they can boost sales ?

"We raised the price of the iPhone, in order to cover the costs, we now ship to you, please go online and make your order.

Mike Ajlouny
www.mac-pro.com
Customer Service
mike@mac-pro.com

Mac Pro is growing again, Please note our new address and phone numbers:

3585 Stevens Creek Blvd.
San Jose, CA 95117
Phone: 408-554-0555
Fax: 408-554-0510

On Sep 12, 2007, at 5:53 AM, Scott wrote:

G'day

A m8 of mine in the bay area has told me you can ship international. I was wondering if this is possible with iPhone ? What is the cost of shipping to Melbourne Australia ?

Thank you Scott"

Sadly they will not get a sale from me, as a friend posted me one.

Tejas
14th September 2007, 10:01 AM
the only way they could get it in without paying massive stamp duty would be to send it "as a gift" - which is impossible because they would get caught red handed from all the ones they are going to be sent out.

this isn't true

according to http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

If you are receiving your goods via the post you are considered the importer of those goods and these may be subject to Customs duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Generally, all goods imported into Australia are subject to Customs duty and GST and are assessed for community protection risks. However, all goods (except for tobacco and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if the value of the goods is A$1000 or less.

Linux_insidev2
14th September 2007, 10:32 AM
this isn't true

according to http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

If you are receiving your goods via the post you are considered the importer of those goods and these may be subject to Customs duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Generally, all goods imported into Australia are subject to Customs duty and GST and are assessed for community protection risks. However, all goods (except for tobacco and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if the value of the goods is A$1000 or less.

Touche!

When I ordered my psp off ebay, I was told it would be marked as a gift to avoid any stamp duties etc, and that was only $400

Tiprya
14th September 2007, 10:48 AM
Sadly they will not get a sale from me, as a friend posted me one.

How much did the postage cost and what method (company) did you use?

fojean
14th September 2007, 10:50 AM
How much did the postage cost and what method (company) did you use?

Just read on whirpool that postage is $41US if you use Mac-Pro....don't know which service they would use.

Tiprya
14th September 2007, 10:52 AM
Just read on whirpool that postage is $41US if you use Mac-Pro....don't know which service they would use.

I was after what Fed-Ex / other companys were charging normal people on the street

wise
14th September 2007, 11:35 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone themselves actually used either of the US mail forwarding services?? I'm thinking of signing up today then ordering a few iphones seperatly. I will happily then resell locally for small profit. PERSONAL EXPERIENCES PLEASE

wise
14th September 2007, 03:07 PM
ok my US address is set up and 2 iphones ordered. (<$1000).

is there a limit on the number you can buy or can i purchase 2 every day?

decryption
14th September 2007, 03:10 PM
ok my US address is set up and 2 iphones ordered. (<$1000).

is there a limit on the number you can buy or can i purchase 2 every day?

You can buy as many as you want at once. However, if when they're shipped, the total is more than $1000, you are sluggede GST (an extra 10%).

So as long as you keep the total order under $1000, you won't get charged GST.

ADmoney
14th September 2007, 04:39 PM
OK so I moved to Australia recently (~ 6 months ago) and am currently studying in Sydney. My family lives in the states, my dad just bought an iphone and he is raving about it. I was thinking of having him send me a couple (under the A$1000 limit for customs tarrifs), and selling them on ebay for pure profit... but it sounds like most of you have found a better alternative (macpro or other sellers).

So my question is: why on earth are people paying $900+ on iphones that ship within Australia? I am guessing they have no clue of the other options out there... however I am tempted to get these two iphones shipped here and posting them on ebay to see how much I can get them for. Do you think that I'll be able to sell each iphone for about 900 bucks or more?

And I'm also tempted to do this in order to bag a free iphone out of the deal if I sell two, since the profit would surely cover a third one.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I go through with this?

Thanks guys

OziMac
14th September 2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry mate, if you're in it for pure profit you're on your own.

Alessiman
14th September 2007, 04:43 PM
Well I was one of the people that bought an unlocked iphone from a guy in Melbourne for $700. But he has since gone to ground and has stopped answering emails. Since I haven't paid any money and was only going to buy it cash on inspection nothing lost.

Backup plan was for work to send me one. Which is what I am going to do now if I dont here from him over the weekend

ADmoney
14th September 2007, 04:46 PM
i mean when i say "pure profit", i really mean "i want a free iphone out of this deal". apparently the demand is there, as ebay has shown, and it's amazing what people are willing to pay...

i would also consider myself to be a completely reputable seller, i've been selling stuff on ebay for years and have 100% feedback. i'm also willing to arrange local pickup in sydney as well to prove my point.

i am also considering selling them to my friends for about 700 each, does that seem more reasonable? i wouldnt be profiting that much from each sale that way.

cheers

Disko
14th September 2007, 06:01 PM
i am also considering selling them to my friends for about 700 each
Hah, some friend you are. :)

I can have an iPhone in my hand for $520 AUD. So can your friends if they know the right people.

andrew.wilson
14th September 2007, 06:46 PM
Hah, some friend you are. :)

I can have an iPhone in my hand for $520 AUD. So can your friends if they know the right people.

Please share :D

Disko
14th September 2007, 06:48 PM
Do the math.

iPhone = $399 USD
$399USD = $475 AUD
Mail from US -> AUS = $41USD = $49AUD
$475 + $49 = $524

OziMac
14th September 2007, 06:55 PM
Don't forget sales tax though Disko.

Still, you're looking at not much more than $560 :)

wise
14th September 2007, 10:37 PM
yup everyone forgets the tax :). i'm getting 5 next week for mates. get hit with 10% gst put they still get a phone for about $630. unlocked ones are still going for over $1k on ebay. weird.

mattmac
14th September 2007, 10:43 PM
Crazy.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Apple-iPhone-8GB-Sealed-Melbourne-Seller_W0QQitemZ330163789977QQihZ014QQcategoryZ171 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Huy
14th September 2007, 10:56 PM
Disko are you referring to Mac-Pro?

If so their prices have gone up to $490 US with approx. $41 US shipping :(

vivid2
15th September 2007, 02:23 AM
I always thought it was maths in Australia.

You know, short for mathematics.

Huy
15th September 2007, 06:17 PM
Just snagged myself an 8GB iPhone off eBay.
Should be here next week, or the week after.

After seeing the comparison (video) shots between the Touch and iPhone, I want the iPhone!

$676 AUD with conversion rate of $0.82 AUD for $1 USD. Can't wait :)

find_jackass
16th September 2007, 11:14 PM
Just snagged myself an 8GB iPhone off eBay.
Should be here next week, or the week after.

After seeing the comparison (video) shots between the Touch and iPhone, I want the iPhone!

$676 AUD with conversion rate of $0.82 AUD for $1 USD. Can't wait :)

if for that price you pay above ??
i'll go for an australian ebayer for roughly $700.
and get them straight away pick up or next day.
why wait ?:rolleyes:

Huy
16th September 2007, 11:21 PM
I don't see any on eBay.com.au going for $700 AUD, pick up the next day, or next day delivery.

Which eBayers or Item #'s are you talking about?

theov
17th September 2007, 12:56 AM
hey all..

Just bought my 8gb iPhone from the Apple store!! My brother has a colleague that works in the US whom is more than happy to have it sent to his resodence and have it shipped to Oz!!!

Put the order through and it accepted my Oz credit card details no worries!!

Chose next day delivery ($16) + tax and all up amount is $439 US= $525AUD approx.

Can't wait to get my hands on it now!!!

Has your iPhone been shipped and your credit card been charged??

As far as I knew I thought US credit cards were required, so are you saying that you have successfully used an AUS credit card and it has been fully charged and everything is underway??

Thanks, theov

Edge
17th September 2007, 12:59 AM
Sending an iPhone via the USPS, fully insured, cost just under USD$40. And that was in a box which would fit 2 phones in it. Just FYI.

walexx
17th September 2007, 07:43 AM
Guys, i had a mate get me some iPhones and send it via normal US Postal Service mail. It cost 3 dollars more to send 2 iPhones, than it did one. So it was like $39.00 to send 2 iphones and a case. That was from SFO and included insurance and online tracking. He mailed it to me on Tuesday last week and I had it delivered to my door at 8am last friday. I tracked it online so I knew exactly what was gong on.

Im just about to make another order for more :)

walexx
17th September 2007, 07:46 AM
Has your iPhone been shipped and your credit card been charged??

As far as I knew I thought US credit cards were required, so are you saying that you have successfully used an AUS credit card and it has been fully charged and everything is underway??

Thanks, theov

Yeppers, I purchased from the U.S. Apple store using my AUS credit card. As long as its shipped to a U.S. address, they will let you use any credit card.

Just go there and create an account with a U.S. shipping address.

Tiprya
17th September 2007, 09:07 AM
Yeppers, I purchased from the U.S. Apple store using my AUS credit card. As long as its shipped to a U.S. address, they will let you use any credit card.

Excellent, thanks a lot for confirming that - I have managed to find a US credit card now though, but i'll use that as a backup if my normal card doesn't work

OziMac
17th September 2007, 09:08 AM
How the hell did you get a US credit card? Don't you need a social security number for that?

Beaner
17th September 2007, 06:34 PM
Well I have just put my order in through Ebay US, i'll keep you guys posted as to when it gets here.

Huy
17th September 2007, 06:56 PM
Beaner looks like you and I will be competing to see who gets it first. I ordered mine yesterday (well, saturday technically) but I don't think anything is happening since it's USPS EMI (express).

Tiprya
17th September 2007, 07:17 PM
How the hell did you get a US credit card? Don't you need a social security number for that?

Well I do have a US social security number:p

My whole mothers family is American and my mother is going to the States next month and will bring my iPhone back at the end of the month, although its getting harder to endure the wait...

andrew.wilson
17th September 2007, 09:35 PM
So I would be able to order an iPhone from the U.S Apple Store with an Australian Visa Debit card and have it ship to a friend in the US, who would then mail it to me after I paid him?

That sounds like a good idea...I will wait and see if we get a 16gig though...I really would like the extra storage...about the only thing holding me back...

petersracing
18th September 2007, 11:59 AM

So what did you use for a billing address? It's preloaded with US country and US states?

andrew.wilson
18th September 2007, 09:37 PM
So will a Visa debit card work with the US Apple Store?

Also, what mail redirection service did you use?

And another question, has anyone got it working with an Optus pre-paid sim? I couldn't find a clear answer in the other threads :confused:

Huy
18th September 2007, 09:55 PM
Yes.

MyUS.com I believe he used.

And not me personally but it does work, Optus prepaid.

find_jackass
18th September 2007, 09:59 PM
I don't see any on eBay.com.au going for $700 AUD, pick up the next day, or next day delivery.

Which eBayers or Item #'s are you talking about?

1. Here's one ebayer . ended at $720 - 43 bids.
i think the cheapest with him is $710.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290160103760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

2. Here's another ebayer roughly about $750
brand new , sends at lunch time and receive next day gurantee
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190153469139&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:11

Not that i need it, but the 2nd seller can provide unlocking for extra cost. i think most seller these days provide it at extra cost.

YES. for about $7XX mark, i'll rather pay to get here the next day.

-------------
Prepaid Optus works.. fine :)
Its only the 3 sims wont work with both software or hardware unlock.
some dude said it works with hardware.. but it doesnt with mine.

--------------
Regarding AUS credit card.
some say only AE would successful verified ?!
but i've tried with my national visa card. its approved the first day ..and i was jumping up and down the next day when i got this email saying it cant verify me so it was rejected and canceled my order.

with all the hassle. i jump straight forward and grab one from ebay AUS. which is slightly** slightly dearer. but its still cool..
;)

andrew.wilson
18th September 2007, 10:01 PM
Yes.

MyUS.com I believe he used.

And not me personally but it does work, Optus prepaid.

Thanks for that mate :D

That's weird...Apple site says overseas cards don't work:

Apple is unable to accept credit, debit, or check cards issued by banks outside of the United States.

From: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

:confused:

I have a Heritage Visa Debit that I would use to buy it with..anyone used the same card?

Cheers

aedw9769
19th September 2007, 09:46 AM
HK is the place to get one, they are selling them already unlocked. Mine works fine. All aplications are great. No problem with iTunes 7.4

wise
19th September 2007, 09:56 AM
ok so after setting up the mailing address, adding the address to my amex and ordering my apple order was rejected.

i spoke to apple US and whilst i was on the phone they called the bank (amex) who would not verify my address as it was a non us card. bah....

i thought people had confirmed they had ordered this way...

hmmmm

petersracing
19th September 2007, 10:09 AM
ok so after setting up the mailing address, adding the address to my amex and ordering my apple order was rejected.

the bank (amex) would not verify my address as it was a non us card. bah....

i thought people had confirmed they had ordered this way...

hmmmm

I read the same thing and have an order sitting with them that hasn't been shipped so I guess I'm about to get the same response. I'm going to have to get my contact in Chicago to set up her own apple account and do it on her credit card. This is getting frustrating!

Linux_insidev2
19th September 2007, 10:15 AM
dammit!

I see that apple have their bases covered well...

Tejas
19th September 2007, 11:54 AM
HK is the place to get one, they are selling them already unlocked. Mine works fine. All aplications are great. No problem with iTunes 7.4

which seller did you go through?

wise
19th September 2007, 12:29 PM
dammit!

I see that apple have their bases covered well...

Well i think that is purely a move to counteract credit card fraud. I don't think apple would care at all where their products were ordered from.

fojean
19th September 2007, 05:59 PM
..Ordered my iPhone through Apple US site with my Aust. Mastercard and it accepted it! Waiting for it to be delivered now by a friend in the US!

find_jackass
19th September 2007, 06:20 PM
yeah man, thats what i've said..
but no one pay attention..

yes it will accept it. just like it did for mine. i was very excited until i got an email 1 day later telling me its rejected coz they cant verify my credit card.

:thumbdn:

pixelicious
19th September 2007, 10:17 PM
ok, well I just ordered one from http://www.mac-pro.com which totalled $531 USD so around $635 AUD, I'll tell you exactly when I get my mastercard bill ;)

Tejas
19th September 2007, 10:19 PM
ok, well I just ordered one from http://www.mac-pro.com which totalled $531 USD so around $635 AUD, I'll tell you exactly when I get my mastercard bill ;)

i ordered mine tonight from there with a silicon case.

anyone know the shipping times for mac-pro to melbourne?

wise
20th September 2007, 12:02 PM
ok well apple store on the phone this time verified they only take US credit cards...kinda strange considering you can use cards anywhere in the world for pretty much anythign...

anyway they said i could wire transfer or cashiers cheque so there are options available if u are desperate.

i just ordered ca bunch from mac pro instead. they dont seem like the most professional out\fit (my order changed to refurbished iphones and when i called they said not to worry about it). also on their site they claim everythign listed is in stock but when i spoke to them they said they were out of stock and wouldn't ship to tomorrow.

Tejas
20th September 2007, 12:13 PM
i just ordered ca bunch from mac pro instead. they dont seem like the most professional out\fit (my order changed to refurbished iphones and when i called they said not to worry about it). also on their site they claim everythign listed is in stock but when i spoke to them they said they were out of stock and wouldn't ship to tomorrow.

Lol - mac pro are probally sick of phone calls from australia. i rang them earlier today as well about my order. they confirmed to me that the iphone is out of stock and will be back in stock tomorrow.
they also told me although my order also says refurbished iphone i will be getting a brand new one.

Linux_insidev2
20th September 2007, 12:18 PM
where can one purchase a new handsfree or an iphone bluetooth handsfree?!

tcn33
20th September 2007, 12:19 PM
Ah, what the hell. I think I'll order one from MacPro tomorrow. Pixelicious, let us know how your order goes...

wise
20th September 2007, 12:53 PM
Lol - mac pro are probally sick of phone calls from australia. i rang them earlier today as well about my order. they confirmed to me that the iphone is out of stock and will be back in stock tomorrow.
they also told me although my order also says refurbished iphone i will be getting a brand new one.

yeah they should just sort out the text on their store and they woudln't have a problem. i also had to call back 3 times because the 'customer service divison' was on lunch. :p

kyte
20th September 2007, 10:26 PM
I've ordered an iPhone from voitech in Fivedock. It should arrive on Tuesday. They have them in the locked state for $639 and unlocked for $969.

I've ordered locked and am hoping anySIM will do the trick.
http://www.voitech.com.au/products?search_text=iphone&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

tcn33
21st September 2007, 05:50 AM
The WP member price is $600 - they're sold out at the moment but getting more in on Monday.

Jaffa
21st September 2007, 06:49 AM
I just range the Apple Store in the US. After speaking to two people they told me 'unfortunately sir we cannot ship the iphone internationally'.

Funny thing is they asked me why I don't just 'order from the apple australia online store at apple.com.au or ring 133-622' upon which i told them that the reason I am ringing the US store is that the australian store does not sell them. They then checked the australian store and BANG exactly how I said :P

One of them suggested using a main redirection service, and the other one said that the easiest option would be to send it to a friends house in america and get them to either bring it over or mail it out to me :P

How hard is it for them to put Australia on the box instead of US ? HAH

Jeff

kyte
21st September 2007, 07:11 AM
The WP member price is $600 - they're sold out at the moment but getting more in on Monday.

Yes, but you had to make the deal via a whim to the appropriate person and I didnt know that until after the event. In any case, one of Monday's shipment is earmarked for me :)

tcn33
21st September 2007, 07:36 AM
Nice one. I'm waiting on a response to my whim to find out if I got in early enough...

landog
21st September 2007, 08:18 AM
cool im gonna grab one on ebay.

I cant keep up with the unlocking threads though. Is there finally a software unlock avaiable ?

Tejas
21st September 2007, 08:22 AM
woohoo.. mines on it's way from www.mac-pro.com

anyone ordered from them before and know the approx shipping time to melbourne?

mac_man_luke
21st September 2007, 08:22 AM
voitech price is pretty good, better than most on ebay

OziMac
21st September 2007, 09:05 AM
Given that AT&T don't have an international network and don't service international customers, I can hardly say that I'm surprised Apple would stonewall on this.

wise
21st September 2007, 10:11 AM
yup voitech have wrapped it up with that price. i got one of the ones they are expecting today. $110 premium but i get the weekend to play with it :p. after selling my other one and going back to a nokia for 4 days i cant fucking wait.

QueenOfSwords
21st September 2007, 10:46 AM
One of them suggested using a main redirection service, and the other one said that the easiest option would be to send it to a friends house in america and get them to either bring it over or mail it out to me :P

How hard is it for them to put Australia on the box instead of US ? HAH
Jeff

Actually it's pretty funny that they suggested alternate means of shipment at all :D They actually seem pretty relaxed about who they sell the thing to... and probably laughing on the inside as they anticipate Uncle Steve bricking it on the next firmware update.

Anyway, I was wondering if my accent and Aussie credit card would be a problem if I just walked in to a store and bought one (had I the opportunity) , but it turns out, for example, that the Buffalo NY store sells heaps to Canadians.

redgsr
21st September 2007, 11:00 AM
Bugger - my brother is in New York right now, but didn't have time to get to the Apple Store so went to an AT&T store but they wouldn't sell him one without siging up for a plan etc.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the activation etc?

blackie36
21st September 2007, 11:17 AM
I had no issue buying 6 in the Honolulu Apple Store. They knew we were from Australia, we used Australian cards - all they said was 'you know they don't work in Australia?'

Sent from my iPhone :D

redgsr
21st September 2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah I'm sure the Apple store would want to just take your money and get you out the door instead of fussing around with plans etc. Much more efficient!

Jaffa
21st September 2007, 12:29 PM
Actually it's pretty funny that they suggested alternate means of shipment at all :D They actually seem pretty relaxed about who they sell the thing to... and probably laughing on the inside as they anticipate Uncle Steve bricking it on the next firmware update.

Anyway, I was wondering if my accent and Aussie credit card would be a problem if I just walked in to a store and bought one (had I the opportunity) , but it turns out, for example, that the Buffalo NY store sells heaps to Canadians.

Actually it's quite funny. The first guy didn't know that they are not out in Australia and asked me why I don't order directly from the apple australia store. The second operator had to check wether she can send overseas, and then i rang a third time purely for laughs to see what they would say. She told me that no worries I can order one. Then she proceeded to get my apple id and order one for me. The system then told her that she cannot order to an international address so she went to the australian version of the software and tried ordering through there, only to find thatthe product was not listed in the australian store. all three suggested alternate methods of shipment, saying that the mastercard can be used online since its an international card and then just send it to a friend in the us and get them to forward it to me or get a forarding service to do it...

wise
21st September 2007, 01:08 PM
just picked mine up from voitech. nice guy. highly recommended.

kyte
21st September 2007, 04:30 PM
just picked mine up from voitech. nice guy. highly recommended.

I've just had an email from him a short time ago, saying my $$ had gone through okay, and that he would email me again after it had been shipped on Monday. What excellent service!

tcn33
21st September 2007, 04:43 PM
Just ordered mine from Voitech. wise, did you order yours, or actually receive it already?

andrew.wilson
21st September 2007, 07:10 PM
Ok so I lost :mad:

Round up...what do we know:

-What cards will the US store accept?
-Mastercard from Australia? American Express from Australia?

-Are there other options of payment available? I think these were touched on earlier :confused:

-What does an American card entitle? Say I have friends from America who have an American credit card but live over here..would that work? :confused:

Cheers :thumbup:

tcn33
21st September 2007, 07:18 PM
Say I have friends from America who have an American credit card but live over here..would that work?

Most likely yes - as long as they haven't changed the billing address. I've used an American card to order from the Gap and deliver to a mail redirection service, and Gap are even more hardcore than Apple - they "do not ship or bill orders internationally, including Canada".

andrew.wilson
22nd September 2007, 11:45 AM
order one from http://www.voitech.com.au/ but get the whirlpool price by ordering it though a whim on whirlpool - ebay ones start at more than they are selling them for

I have been following this Whirlpool deal through Voitech :thumbup: Currently selling from an Aussie seller at $615 including delivery :D But you have to be a member...

I often visit the site but am not a member. I have signed up now...would I still be able to get the deal :confused:

Perhaps decryption could contact the guy and see if he was willing to extend the offer to MTAU? He seems to be supporting local forums:

Keep in mind that the Whirlpool (we'll be extending it to OCAU shortly) promo price (+$15.90 for overnight delivery) is for orders placed only via WP.

I am sure we would have more than a few people interested at that price! :thumbup:

tcn33
22nd September 2007, 11:53 AM
I often visit the site but am not a member. I have signed up now...would I still be able to get the deal
Just saw a post from someone who joined up just to order, so yes. As of 4pm yesterday when I spoke to him, he only had 10 out of the 40 he's getting on Monday that hadn't been spoken for. Presumably those would be almost all gone by now, but he's getting more next Friday.

wise
22nd September 2007, 12:56 PM
i just grabbed 5 of them so you'd want to be quick!

Huy
22nd September 2007, 01:28 PM
5! :o

andrew.wilson
22nd September 2007, 01:41 PM
Wasn't there a limit of 3!

Just ordered mine off voitech...hopefully will receive the phone Tuesday! :D

I would rather pay the $50 or so extra and have the peace of mind, fast delivery and less hassle than either ebay or trying to buy from the US store and worrying about mail redirection or what not!

Darn this impulse buying! :)

skip
22nd September 2007, 03:33 PM
woohoo.. mines on it's way from www.mac-pro.com

anyone ordered from them before and know the approx shipping time to melbourne?

Reasonable price..'.only' $90US premium over the Apple Store for the refurbs *sigh*

How much was shipping to Australia?

Huy
22nd September 2007, 03:36 PM
I think it's $41 US from what I remember... from an email I received from Mac-Pro.

Tejas
22nd September 2007, 03:38 PM
I think it's $41 US from what I remember... from an email I received from Mac-Pro.

yep $41.

i brought from mac pro cos i didn't want to deal with e-bayers in case i don't receive the iphone. i realize i have that risk regardless but i believe the fact a store has a name to protect is a bit more insurance

skip
22nd September 2007, 03:47 PM
That brings a refurb 8gig to about 550Aus, which is quite reasonable, especially compared to ebay or some of the Australian resellers *cough, ripoff*.

Now I just have to work out if I can bust my 3 contract and work out who to go with...

Alessiman
22nd September 2007, 05:05 PM
I got mine (8Gig) for $AUS491 and that includes stupid IL sales tax. I do have to pick it up in Singapore as I will be meeting one of my U.S based staff there in a week. But I can wait that long. Also might see if I can get him to get a Pentax 50-135mm lense for me at the same time

Jaffa
23rd September 2007, 07:13 PM
I just ordered an iPhone through the US store :) Below is a link to a GIF of the PDF of the Thank You For Your Order screen.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/316/iphoneorderwebgo3.th.gif (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iphoneorderwebgo3.gif)

It's being delivered to a friends dads house and she is going to america next week. She will then bring it with her when she comes back two weeks later. :) I ordered it now so that I don;t get one of the new ones with new firmware coming out as they won't be able to be unlocked for use in AUS.

Jeff

Linux_insidev2
23rd September 2007, 07:19 PM
I ordered it now so that I don;t get one of the new ones with new firmware coming out as they won't be able to be unlocked for use in AUS.

Allegedly won't be unlockable. I bet it will be.

andrew.wilson
23rd September 2007, 07:22 PM
I just ordered an iPhone through the US store :) Below is a link to a GIF of the PDF of the Thank You For Your Order screen.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/316/iphoneorderwebgo3.th.gif (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iphoneorderwebgo3.gif)

It's being delivered to a friends dads house and she is going to america next week. She will then bring it with her when she comes back two weeks later. :) I ordered it now so that I don;t get one of the new ones with new firmware coming out as they won't be able to be unlocked for use in AUS.

Jeff

I posted in another thread trying to ask this in a disjointed way: Will recent iPhones (say the past 3 or 4 weeks) have 1.0.2 installed on them? The current jailbreak method I have seen requires you to restore and install latest version of software in order to make sure you have 1.0.2. If Apple updates that before you try I am guessing you are going tp be in trouble.

Would it be safe to assume the current batch iPhones have 1.0.2 on them :confused:Is there a way to check before you do anything?

Jaffa
23rd September 2007, 07:29 PM
Allegedly won't be unlockable. I bet it will be.

Ofcourse it will be unlockable, but it just means I will have to wait even more for the iPhone Dev team to unlock them. Time I dont wan't to wait. I would rather live with a slightly older OS than a not-usable-at-all iPhone.

I posted in another thread trying to ask this in a disjointed way: Will recent iPhones (say the past 3 or 4 weeks) have 1.0.2 installed on them? The current jailbreak method I have seen requires you to restore and install latest version of software in order to make sure you have 1.0.2. If Apple updates that before you try I am guessing you are going tp be in trouble.

Would it be safe to assume the current batch iPhones have 1.0.2 on them :confused:Is there a way to check before you do anything?

As far as I know the current batch are a mixture of 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 depending on which warehouse its shipped from. Also the jailbreak methods out there can do it via an update or via a restore, meaning it doesnt really matter which version you use. Also there is a jailbreak proggy out there that does not require you to update or restore your phone. It puts the phone in the "Deep Restore" mode or whatever that is called and just edits the OS that way.

I could be wrong tho as I have not used the iPhone yet, but what I do know is that it can be downgraded, meaning that if I need to I can downgrade it to 1.0.1 then activate while re-upgrading it again to 1.0.2.

I am not aware of a way of checking what firmware is installed on the device. It may be on the box but yeh i dunno.

Cheers,

Jeff

andrew.wilson
23rd September 2007, 07:40 PM
Ofcourse it will be unlockable, but it just means I will have to wait even more for the iPhone Dev team to unlock them. Time I dont wan't to wait. I would rather live with a slightly older OS than a not-usable-at-all iPhone.

As far as I know the current batch are a mixture of 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 depending on which warehouse its shipped from. Also the jailbreak methods out there can do it via an update or via a restore, meaning it doesnt really matter which version you use. Also there is a jailbreak proggy out there that does not require you to update or restore your phone. It puts the phone in the "Deep Restore" mode or whatever that is called and just edits the OS that way.

I could be wrong tho as I have not used the iPhone yet, but what I do know is that it can be downgraded, meaning that if I need to I can downgrade it to 1.0.1 then activate while re-upgrading it again to 1.0.2.

I am not aware of a way of checking what firmware is installed on the device. It may be on the box but yeh i dunno.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks for that info mate! :D Much appreciated.

I was ging by this guide:

http://modmyiphone.com/wiki/index.php/IPhone_unlock_OS_X_Part_1

Seems easy to follow, but at Step 4 it says that unless you have 1.0.2 running you will wreck your iphone. This is via some method of unlocking I haven't heard of though. So I could follow these steps up until 4 and then just use a method that doesn't wreck your phone if you don't have 1.0.2?

In other words...if Apple does update the firmware before Thursday and even if I am happy to run with 1.0.2 or 1.0.1 (aka I wont upgrade to 1.1 unless the hacks still work)...my iPhone won't be useless? Cheers! :)

Linux_insidev2
23rd September 2007, 07:42 PM

Settings > General > About

The firmware is just software on the flash, downgrading shouldn't be too hard unless they seriously change things. and if they update the baseband software the same fix should apply but it will be in a different location.

Otherwise, the hardware mods should still be successful.

Jaffa
23rd September 2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for that info mate! :D Much appreciated.

I was ging by this guide:

Seems easy to follow, but at Step 4 it says that unless you have 1.0.2 running you will wreck your iphone. This is via some method of unlocking I haven't heard of though. So I could follow these steps up until 4 and then just use a method that doesn't wreck your phone if you don't have 1.0.2?

In other words...if Apple does update the firmware before Thursday and even if I am happy to run with 1.0.2 or 1.0.1 (aka I wont upgrade to 1.1 unless the hacks still work)...my iPhone won't be useless? Cheers! :)

The methods I am aware of are iNdependance and iFuntastic. According to the guides on both you can do it on 1.0.0, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2.

This guide (http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/iphone_what_you_should_do_first_to_mod_mac_74.html ) might be of use to you. There are plenty of guides on that website that are very useful :)

andrew.wilson
23rd September 2007, 08:28 PM
The methods I am aware of are iNdependance and iFuntastic. According to the guides on both you can do it on 1.0.0, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2.

This guide (http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/iphone_what_you_should_do_first_to_mod_mac_74.html ) might be of use to you. There are plenty of guides on that website that are very useful :)

Thanks mate..that seems like another good method.

I was more concerned about software SIM unlock methods needing 1.0.2 or else they will wreck the iPhone. I can't seem to find a simple answer to this :confused:

Fingers crossed there won't be a firmware update before Thursday and I will be ok! :D

Jaffa
23rd September 2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks mate..that seems like another good method.

I was more concerned about software SIM unlock methods needing 1.0.2 or else they will wreck the iPhone. I can't seem to find a simple answer to this :confused:

Fingers crossed there won't be a firmware update before Thursday and I will be ok! :D

The best method (and the one that costs the least) would be anySIM. AnySIM requires version 1.0.2.

Now that we have access to the springboard we can check to see what version of firmware is on the iPhone. Press "Settings", "General", "About" and look where it says "Version". If it is not 1.0.2 then use iTunes to restore your phone to the newest firmware update.

Hopefully that helps :) (and hopefully the current iPhones ship with 1.0.2, although I am sure there will be a way to install the 1.0.2 update instead of 1.1.1 if it does come through before we get our iPhones...)

wise
23rd September 2007, 10:46 PM

Jeff

I got to that stage too. its before they ship the item that they confirm the billing address and when my order got cancelled, DESPITE my amex having the american forwarding addres si was using as a billing address.

Let me know how you go.

Jaffa
23rd September 2007, 10:51 PM
I got to that stage too. its before they ship the item that they confirm the billing address and when my order got cancelled, DESPITE my amex having the american forwarding addres si was using as a billing address.

Let me know how you go.

Yeah, the thing is the MasterCards dont confirm shipping addresses :) The only people having problems are people with Visa and Amex cards.

wise
24th September 2007, 10:05 AM
are you sure? i guess that theory fits the evidence to date.... although i'd be slightly concerned if my credit card vendor didn't confirm shipping addresses...though it would be pretty handy in this instance...

MightyAtom
24th September 2007, 02:28 PM
are you sure? i guess that theory fits the evidence to date.... although i'd be slightly concerned if my credit card vendor didn't confirm shipping addresses...though it would be pretty handy in this instance...
No credit card company can verify shipping addresses in this country. It would violate the Privacy Act, they can't divulge your personal information to third parties.

Huy
24th September 2007, 02:31 PM
Got mine just then :D

Jaffa
24th September 2007, 05:01 PM

This is how sure I am :) Just recieved this from Apple saying my order has been shipped :) Payed for by an Australian MasterCard:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6366/iphoneordershippedwebid9.th.gif (http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iphoneordershippedwebid9.gif)

Jeff :)

blackie36
24th September 2007, 06:21 PM
so presumably you can buy credit for the US Itunes Music store?

Jaffa
24th September 2007, 06:23 PM
so presumably you can buy credit for the US Itunes Music store?

Looks like it, as long as you provide a US billing address...

blackie36
24th September 2007, 06:28 PM
is your Mastercard billing address here or in the US?

Jaffa
24th September 2007, 08:33 PM
is your Mastercard billing address here or in the US?

It has an Australian billing address, BUT MasterCards worldwide policy does not allow address verification as far as i am aware...

Linux_insidev2
24th September 2007, 08:59 PM
It has an Australian billing address, BUT MasterCards worldwide policy does not allow address verification as far as i am aware...

And thus you get away with it!

Whereas with Visa USA they would verify address, and when apple don't get an address they cancel the order.

Jaffa
24th September 2007, 09:04 PM
And thus you get away with it!

Whereas with Visa USA they would verify address, and when apple don't get an address they cancel the order.

Is that how you ordered your iPhone, with a masterard?

Linux_insidev2
24th September 2007, 09:27 PM
I ordered mine off ebay, and payed twice what the phone is worth.

And then I hardware unlocked it the night iPhoneSimfree released their unlock...

augustus hill
24th September 2007, 09:40 PM
so let me get this straight
if i order an iphone with my mastercard debit card on the apple us store and get it sent to a mail forwarding company it will work?

Jaffa
24th September 2007, 09:41 PM
so let me get this straight
if i order an iphone with my mastercard debit card on the apple us store and get it sent to a mail forwarding company it will work?

Coming from what I have experienced and the knowledge I have: Yes :)

andrew.wilson
24th September 2007, 10:41 PM
Darn stupid banks and their lack of ability to transfer money on weekends! :mad:

My iPhone missed the shipment from Voitech today as my money hadn't gone in :(

Look like Friday morning for me...fingers are crossed Apple don't make things harder by releasing 1.1 before then. I have found a way to check your firmware before you do anything needing 1.0.2 so hopefully if they do release an update I will have a 1.0.2 phone and won't need to find a way around restoring. I have the 1.0.2 firmware download file backed up now just in case :thumbup:

Jaffa
24th September 2007, 11:03 PM
Darn stupid banks and their lack of ability to transfer money on weekends! :mad:

My iPhone missed the shipment from Voitech today as my money hadn't gone in :(

Look like Friday morning for me...fingers are crossed Apple don't make things harder by releasing 1.1 before then. I have found a way to check your firmware before you do anything needing 1.0.2 so hopefully if they do release an update I will have a 1.0.2 phone and won't need to find a way around restoring. I have the 1.0.2 firmware download file backed up now just in case :thumbup:

How can you check what version firmware is? (I assume that you know a way of checking before you turn it on, otherwise I know that way :p)

andrew.wilson
24th September 2007, 11:26 PM
How can you check what version firmware is? (I assume that you know a way of checking before you turn it on, otherwise I know that way :p)

Sorry! I only know the way of activating first and using settings to check as stated here:

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/iphone_how_to_software_unlock_mac_74_1.html

Going by this guide (the first one I read):

It seemed like I had to restore first before I checked firmware.

From what I can gather, the first steps of both procedures do the same thing but with the first method (hacktheiphone), you only restore (hence need to use iTunes and risk installing the 1.1 update) if your iPhone is running 1.0.1 our of the box and not 1.0.2.

I am going to follow this method to check firmware etc, but still deciding on Unlock.app or anySIM for the final unlock. Leaning more towards Unlock.app as I haven't heard bad things about it yet, where as there has been a few cases where any SIM has caused problems. If Unlock.app fails, I'll try anySIM I guess...

Why isn't it Friday already darn it!!! :D

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 12:12 AM
Sorry! I only know the way of activating first and using settings to check as stated here:

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/iphone_how_to_software_unlock_mac_74_1.html

Going by this guide (the first one I read):

It seemed like I had to restore first before I checked firmware.

From what I can gather, the first steps of both procedures do the same thing but with the first method (hacktheiphone), you only restore (hence need to use iTunes and risk installing the 1.1 update) if your iPhone is running 1.0.1 our of the box and not 1.0.2.

I am going to follow this method to check firmware etc, but still deciding on Unlock.app or anySIM for the final unlock. Leaning more towards Unlock.app as I haven't heard bad things about it yet, where as there has been a few cases where any SIM has caused problems. If Unlock.app fails, I'll try anySIM I guess...

anySIM is actually based on Unlock.app. There was a problem with the first release of anySIM but they released a second version the next day and it works fine with 1.0.2. Also the benefit of anySIM is that it can be installed directly through Installer.app and doesnt have to be installed by placing different files n different directories through ftp.

kyte
25th September 2007, 05:37 AM

The people who have been having trouble are those who already tried to unlock their phone by other methods. Do NOT use anysim after you have tried something else. You *will* have to start over by making your phone "virgin" again.

queraxus
25th September 2007, 08:36 AM
I hope all you people who madly rushed into buying a phone from overseas (yes, that's all the iPhone is, a phone, not a lifesaving device, not something that can make you coffee - a phone), that you've wasted your money.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070924-apple-firmware-update-likely-to-make-unlocked-iphones-permanently-inoperable.html

Unless of course you never upgrade your phone, in which view, you've hamstrung the phone anyway.

Linux_insidev2
25th September 2007, 08:40 AM
Old news buddy, And the new update will also be cracked - it's just a matter of time.

Why do I care if i don't update? my iphone still makes and receives calls, does all the crap it was advertised to do.

tcn33
25th September 2007, 08:50 AM
Unless of course you never upgrade your phone, in which view, you've hamstrung the phone anyway.
Well, it'll still make calls - and it's "just a phone", right? You can't have it both ways mate.

queraxus
25th September 2007, 09:01 AM
Can you use every function it's built with? Of course not. It's a hacked phone.

tcn33
25th September 2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the warning. I appreciate you looking out for us :)

Linux_insidev2
25th September 2007, 09:10 AM
Can you use every function it's built with? Of course not. It's a hacked phone.

what functions can't I use that it was built with?

Only thing i'm lacking in mine is Visual Voicemail, my voicemail button calls the voicemail number.

Any features that come out after updating would be cool, but I already got all the features I purchased my phone for.

wise
25th September 2007, 10:02 AM
why do some people get so angry about people liking and wanting iPhones??

mattmac
25th September 2007, 10:11 AM
In my opinion with all this crap going on now, its too risky & annoying If I owned one to get around all the locks etc. I'd rather just have an ipod touch + a normal phone to make life easy or wait until they release iphone here and go with whoever apple wants u to, its how its going to work it seems.

Linux_insidev2
25th September 2007, 10:17 AM
... or wait until they release iphone here and go with whoever apple wants u to, its how its going to work it seems.

Unless you do what chopper says and Harden the F%&*K up!

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 10:17 AM
Jaffa & kyte: Thanks for that guys...I should try the anySIM method, I was going to follow the first steps of it to check firmware without a restore anyway :thumbup:

@ the controversy about the update: As said by linux, the iPhone in its current version (1.0.2) does everything we want already, I have no problem no updating it and missing out on ITMS, to be honest I don't use it anyway... If a new hack comes out for version 1.1.0, then I will restore my iPhone to factory settings usuing a method I have just read and start from scratch, then update and try the new unlock.

There are always ways around these things...

What I am worried about however is unlocking it on Friday if there is a new firmware released before then... :(:confused:

W9cae
25th September 2007, 10:34 AM

What I am worried about however is unlocking it on Friday if there is a new firmware released before then... :(:confused:

All you need is the firmware in the iTunes library updates folder. I would be glad to email it to ya ? Or you could just make the folder & download from any of the iPhone hack sites.

mattmac
25th September 2007, 10:36 AM
Unless you do what chopper says and Harden the F%&*K up!

Thats a stupid reply. Nothing wrong with me posting my opinion, I didn't say I think you should do what i do soften up mate ;)

areal
25th September 2007, 10:40 AM
My second iPhone arrived this morning. It is an 8GB refurb which cost me 525AUD in total from the eBay seller who I bought my first iPhone from. He was happy to purchase it on my behalf and so I didn't have to deal with inflated eBay prices. It is in perfect condition just like the Mac and iPod refurbs that are sold in Australia. The only difference is the box - it is white rather than black.

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 10:41 AM
All you need is the firmware in the iTunes library updates folder. I would be glad to email it to ya ? Or you could just make the folder & download from any of the iPhone hack sites.

Hey mate,

So what you are saying is that if the update arrives before Friday and I am stuck with a phone that is running 1.0.1 out of the box (checked via the hacktheiphone method), I can update the firmware to 1.0.2 without an iTunes restore (which would force 1.1.0 on me and cause all kinds of problems)?

I have the file already, thanks for that :) How exactly would I go about putting upgrading the iPhone to it without risking an update to 1.1.0?

Thank you very much! :D

wise
25th September 2007, 10:43 AM
apparantly the ipod Touches are pretty rough knock up jobs. chekc out this weeks TUAW podcast. pretty slow to start but some interesting info in there

find_jackass
25th September 2007, 10:49 AM

yeah mate, thats what i have in my itune library. and i made another copy just in case. with the files x 2 iphone 1.02 v

but how does it work mate ? lets say by friday, apple release the new software. i get another new iphone in. which is running 1.01v. if i click the restore and go through all that again.. shouldnt it go through wifi and will try download that software from apple again ?

any idea, we can since that file over ? mmmm...
thanks

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 11:19 AM
Why do I care if i don't update? my iphone still makes and receives calls, does all the crap it was advertised to do.

@ the controversy about the update: As said by linux, the iPhone in its current version (1.0.2) does everything we want already, I have no problem no updating it and missing out on ITMS, to be honest I don't use it anyway... If a new hack comes out for version 1.1.0, then I will restore my iPhone to factory settings usuing a method I have just read and start from scratch, then update and try the new unlock.

AMEN! YOU GUYS HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON TH HEAD! :D I would rather use 1.0.2 on the iPhone forever than not have an iPhone!

The only new "feature" I can see from the new update is the iTunes Portable Music Store, which I don't use to purchase music except when I get gifts of iTunes vouchers. I prefer my music DRM-free, and besides if I'm not ah home I am not particularly interested in iTunesMusicStorePortable as what am I gonna do? Download the music over Telstra's EDGE network? That would be suicide! Instead of the usual $35 on my bill I'll be getting what, $335?

Besides, the phone will be able to be a phone, it will be able to be a ipod, and it will be able to be a internet device, just how it was advertised. I will be able to be happy :D

Also, Andrew, You are buying it from an Australian reseller right? And they are getting them in on Friday? Right? If they are then it will have the 1.0.2 firmware on it because it would have already shipped from the States. If not then you are driving on pure luck... Hopefully Apple sends away old iPhone stock with old firmware before sending off stock with new firmware...

wise
25th September 2007, 11:22 AM
time for a mastercard for me

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 11:28 AM
AMEN! YOU GUYS HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON TH HEAD! :D I would rather use 1.0.2 on the iPhone forever than not have an iPhone!

The only new "feature" I can see from the new update is the iTunes Portable Music Store, which I don't use to purchase music except when I get gifts of iTunes vouchers. I prefer my music DRM-free, and besides if I'm not ah home I am not particularly interested in iTunesMusicStorePortable as what am I gonna do? Download the music over Telstra's EDGE network? That would be suicide! Instead of the usual $35 on my bill I'll be getting what, $335?

Besides, the phone will be able to be a phone, it will be able to be a ipod, and it will be able to be a internet device, just how it was advertised. I will be able to be happy :D

Also, Andrew, You are buying it from an Australian reseller right? And they are getting them in on Friday? Right? If they are then it will have the 1.0.2 firmware on it because it would have already shipped from the States. If not then you are driving on pure luck... Hopefully Apple sends away old iPhone stock with old firmware before sending off stock with new firmware...

Thanks Jaffa, I am getting one FRiday from Voitech mate. I was more worried about if the iPhone is 1.0.1 instead of 1.0.2, since the unlocks need 1.0.2. But by the looks of it there are ways to upgrade to 1.0.2 without restoring and having Apple force 1.1.0 on you.

This looks like it might be what I am talking about, sans the last step...

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/how-to-relock-your-iphone-before-the-firmware-update/

Hence if it is 1.0.1, I follow those steps to get to 1.0.2 locked factory state, then follow the unlock steps :confused:

Fingers crossed for a 1.0.2 phone anyway :thumbup:

tcn33
25th September 2007, 11:29 AM
If they are then it will have the 1.0.2 firmware on it because it would have already shipped from the States. If not then you are driving on pure luck... Hopefully Apple sends away old iPhone stock with old firmware before sending off stock with new firmware...
I forced a restore via iTunes when activating mine, which in retrospect was a huge gamble. Luckily the current version available through iTunes is still 1.0.2.

Linux_insidev2
25th September 2007, 11:29 AM
yeah no need to worry about the update, some of us have a backup of the 1.0.2 installer ;)

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 11:31 AM
I forced a restore via iTunes when activating mine, which in retrospect was a huge gamble. Luckily the current version available through iTunes is still 1.0.2.

That's what I want to avoid....I know there must be a way of forcing the phone to 1.0.2 without iTunes and taking that gamble...

tcn33
25th September 2007, 11:46 AM
Maybe physically disconnect your Mac from the net, then point iTunes to your archived 1.0.2 firmware?

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe physically disconnect your Mac from the net, then point iTunes to your archived 1.0.2 firmware?

Ok cool...can anyone confirm this? It's just that I'd really like to know exactly how to do everything I might have to do before I get it, as since my internet is capped (:mad:) I have to go to the gfs to unlock it..and she won't be too happy if I am 4 hours unlocking the iPhone she already hates :p

Thank you :D

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks Jaffa, I am getting one FRiday from Voitech mate. I was more worried about if the iPhone is 1.0.1 instead of 1.0.2, since the unlocks need 1.0.2. But by the looks of it there are ways to upgrade to 1.0.2 without restoring and having Apple force 1.1.0 on you.

This looks like it might be what I am talking about, sans the last step...

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/how-to-relock-your-iphone-before-the-firmware-update/

Hence if it is 1.0.1, I follow those steps to get to 1.0.2 locked factory state, then follow the unlock steps :confused:

Fingers crossed for a 1.0.2 phone anyway :thumbup:

yeah no need to worry about the update, some of us have a backup of the 1.0.2 installer ;)

Yeah, if you disconnect your Mac from the net and put the iPhone 1.0.2 firmware into the iTunes' firmware folder it will afaik restore to 1.0.2 because thats the newest you have on the machine. I have downloaded the following files just in case anyways:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9599/picture12ft3.jpg

I'm still looking for a copy of the DMG for iTunes 7.4.1 tho... Also, the version of Quicktime didn't change from 7.4 to 7.4.1 or 7.4.2. did it?

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah, if you disconnect your Mac from the net and put the iPhone 1.0.2 firmware into the iTunes' firmware folder it will afaik restore to 1.0.2 because thats the newest you have on the machine. I have downloaded the following files just in case anyways:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9599/picture12ft3.jpg

I'm still looking for a copy of the DMG for iTunes 7.4.1 tho... Also, the version of Quicktime didn't change from 7.4 to 7.4.1 or 7.4.2. did it?

Thanks for that mate...has put the mind at ease...hopefully Friday will go seamlessly :D

I have most of those files saved too...you are running Leoard I see...ooooo :D

tranp
25th September 2007, 12:02 PM
Hey guys, I don't have time to read through this entire thread but is the iPhone very usable in Australia at the moment? ie. easy to unlock, and after being unlocked, most of the functionality is there.

I'd love to import one if they go around $550AUD.

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 12:05 PM
This is a really stupid question...but where do I put the restore file...I can't find any firmware folder for iTunes, do I need to create one...if so, where?

Thanks once again! :)

MightyAtom
25th September 2007, 12:12 PM
I have the file already, thanks for that :) How exactly would I go about putting upgrading the iPhone to it without risking an update to 1.1.0?

Pull your internet connection. If it's anything like the iPod update process (which it may not be) when iTunes can't reach the update server it'll ask if you want to install the cached software version iTunes already has.

MightyAtom
25th September 2007, 12:14 PM
This is a really stupid question...but where do I put the restore file...I can't find any firmware folder for iTunes, do I need to create one...if so, where?

Put it in this folder, which you may have to create:
User>Library>iTunes>iPhone Software Updates

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that mate...has put the mind at ease...hopefully Friday will go seamlessly :D

I have most of those files saved too...you are running Leoard I see...ooooo :D

Nah, it's not leopard it's just a leopard theme. You can get it too just go to deviantart and search for Liger, although you need to buy the ShapeShifter OS X theming engine software...

Thanks once again! :)

The location is ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software

The folder is not created until you download some iPhone firmware so you will need to create it :)

The '~' means its in your home users folder, so for example on my machine it would be here:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7576/picture13yu8.jpg

Hope this helps :)

OziMac
25th September 2007, 05:19 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm starting to get people asking me about this a lot -

Has anyone successfully used a Master Card to perform a transaction on the US Apple Store (shipped to a US address obviously)?

[EDIT] And what about Amex (which isn't issued by a bank)?

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 05:48 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm starting to get people asking me about this a lot -

Has anyone successfully used a Master Card to perform a transaction on the US Apple Store (shipped to a US address obviously)?

[EDIT] And what about Amex (which isn't issued by a bank)?

Hey Ozi :) If you read a few pages back you will see that I have ordered an iPhone and screen protector for it using an Australian MasterCard. You can see the proof as screen shots there too :)

Amex will not work because the shipping address is verified, but MasterCard's international policy does not allow shipping address verification so it can be used to ship anywhere you want.

Hope that clears a few things up for you :)

OziMac
25th September 2007, 06:35 PM
Sorry mate - I totally skipped over it. I guess this thread really is becoming a bit of a monster! ;)

andrew.wilson
25th September 2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone, especially Jaffa, for your help...much appreciated! :D

Turns out I will be receiving my iPhone from Voitech tomorrow instead! Hopefully I won't have any problems now.

Can't wait! :D

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 07:39 PM
Sorry mate - I totally skipped over it. I guess this thread really is becoming a bit of a monster! ;)

Nah it's no worries, i didnt mean to appear like i was saying read biatch so i'm sorry for that :P it is big i havn't even read the whole thread myself :p

Jaffa
25th September 2007, 08:13 PM
I have had a lot of requests for links to the software in the screenshot I posted earlier. So here it all is:

iPhone Software 1.0.2 (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-3823.20070821.vormd/iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw)
iNdependence 1.2.1a (http://independence.googlecode.com/files/iNdependence_v1.2.1a_bin.dmg)
iTunes 7.4.0 (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes7/Mac/061-3602.20070905.mUy57/iTunes7.4.dmg)
iTunes 7.4.1 (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes7/Mac/061-3889-20070907.ItU741/iTunes7.4.1.dmg)
AppTapp Installer.app 3.1 (http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip)

All this software requires iTunes 7.4.0 or 7.4.1. I believe most of it works with iTunes 7.4.2 but I have not yet updated and won't until its confirmed that it does.

Cheers,

Jeff

kyte
26th September 2007, 12:07 AM
I had already updated priot to getting my iPhone today, I can confirm that the iphone 1.0.2, iNdependence and anysim work fine. I had a short issue with apptapp... it seemed to seize up when it was almost finished and after 15 minutes i force quit it, but lo and behold, the install had completed as it should and everything has been hunky dory since then. and youtube works.

andrew.wilson
26th September 2007, 12:15 AM
I had already updated priot to getting my iPhone today, I can confirm that the iphone 1.0.2, iNdependence and anysim work fine. I had a short issue with apptapp... it seemed to seize up when it was almost finished and after 15 minutes i force quit it, but lo and behold, the install had completed as it should and everything has been hunky dory since then. and youtube works.

I have heard this happen on a few other forums as well.

How is the iPhone itself anyway? I am sooo bloody excited...mine is coming tomorrow morning!!! :D

Huy
26th September 2007, 12:41 AM
I have the latest iTunes 7.4.2 (4) and can confirm that you can unlock with this version, I did it yesterday! ;)