PDA

View Full Version : How to procure an iPhone in Australia?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Shintaro
24th November 2007, 06:57 PM
Well, finally a "mostly" happy owner.
Let down by the shitty blue tooth the iPhone has.

Is there any 3rd party apps that allow file send/receive via blue tooth?

led-zep
24th November 2007, 07:07 PM
not that ive seen so far? but syncing from the pc/mac is farily easy through itunes no problems for me at all, in regards to using itunes 7.5 and leopard. oh there is a file called sendsong? and i think sendfile, through the installer application

Shintaro
24th November 2007, 08:38 PM
The problem is, I tend to swap files with the guys at work, via blue tooth.
For now, at least, I can't :(

Otherwise, syncing on Leopard is great.

led-zep
24th November 2007, 10:49 PM
just wondering if anyone has tried this has anyone downloaded any apps from apple.com? Is it safe to do it for unlocked iphones with 1.1.1?

scruffie
25th November 2007, 05:06 AM
Hey led-zep, forgive me if i am mistaken, but i though those were 'web apps'? Just memorable websites that you should book mark.

Oh congrats on your iPhone!

led-zep
25th November 2007, 08:21 AM
oh ok right so I'd b able to visit the sites without worrying bout bricking the phone?

theskunk
25th November 2007, 05:39 PM
Has anyone bought an iphone or had experience with ebay seller elephantgrass as he has unlocked phones for sale, but his feedback shows no iphone sales even though he mentions selling over 200!

here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APPLE-8GB-IPHONE-SOFTWARE-UNLOCKED-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ150184649372QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3312QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rtc
1st December 2007, 11:20 AM
Okay so I've got a few questions. firstly, no I haven't been able to solve them very clearly with searching MTAU or the net at large.

I've got a mate in USA who is willing to go to apple store, buy iphone (USD cash, no AT&T plan - hope this is possible!!!???) (QUESTION 1), and post/DHL/UPS/whatever it to me.

I have an existing phone plan (with dead handset), which is an optus sim card through Soul (formerly B Mobile).

I want to be able to:
2. make and receive calls EDIT: and SMSs
3. retain my existing phone no.
4. interact with itunes on my mac for music/video (without bricking it)
5. surf the web through my existing phone plan which includes data (without bricking it)
6. use my current voice mailbox (visual voicemail not a must)
7. not brick it!
8. What things do i have to watch out for in the purchase/shipping process (e.g. i plan to send by registered, insured DHL for example).
9 What other costs are involved in this whole process apart from purchase and shipping? (i already have an existing phone and data plan, which hopefully i can use). I'm talking about setup costs, e.g. from the unlocking process if any, rather than ongoing use costs.

Is this possible? If so, is there a simple step by step guide or list of do's and don'ts around? (the technical unlocking part can simply be a url, not spelled out yet again). If there is such a guide, apologies for not finding it and please direct me to it. If not, does anyone care to write one and make it a sticky.

Cheers.

Looking forward to being part of the iphone revolution.

W9cae
1st December 2007, 12:22 PM
RTC if your m8 in the USA was to get you an iPhone your biggest problem is finding old stock pre FW1.1.2

When FW 1.1.2 was released the bootloader was also changed so any iPhone OTB with FW 1.1.2 is not able to be unlocked.

And there has been no time set when or if this is possible.

Look at this thread for more info:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=406297#post406297

rtc
1st December 2007, 12:35 PM
Cheers. So are these identified by the week no. in the serial code (e.g. "43 or lower" etc) or is the firmware version identified seperately?

W9cae
1st December 2007, 12:50 PM
Thats correct week 43 or lower. M8 not trying to be rude or dissapoint you but finding such a creature now. Will be very hard, several weeks of folks doing the same has probably depleted old bootloader stock to zip.

rtc
1st December 2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah I realize it's pure luck, thats fine. Cheers. I just need to keep him well briefed as he is not a mac zealot thats all. I might just issue instructions of "see if you can get a 43 or lower, you probly won't, look around a bit at iphone retailers, applestores, at&t etc, otherwise to heck with it just get whatever iphone you can and i'll take my chances".

cheers.

theov
3rd December 2007, 08:32 PM
Has anyone bought from Flash-Mobiles?
www.flash-mobiles.com

theov

TheWatchman
3rd December 2007, 09:07 PM
They look like they'd be alright and if something goes wrong i've got a couple of links for you:
http://www.abr.business.gov.au/(rj3doiqi0am4xvewl15qzfet)/search.aspx?SearchText=49+638+043+676&StartSearch=True
http://whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=flash-mobiles&tld=com

theov
17th December 2007, 04:26 PM
Has anyone bought from Flash-Mobiles?
www.flash-mobiles.com

theov

I've noticed after ordering (and paying for through paypal) and iPhone from these people that their website suddenly doesn't exist.

I have screenshots from the websites provided.

How long should I be waiting for it to be delivered before taking further action??

starting to worry about where my $835 went! :confused:

cheers, theov

djkai
17th December 2007, 06:33 PM
I recon you should do a chargeback or file a dispute mate, I dunno the whois info I looked up and aswell as what watters has posted looks odd.

Do you know when it was sent or anything like that?

"Maximilian Enterprise..." :(

theov
21st December 2007, 02:31 PM
Well I'm somewhat happy now that I got an email from paypal saying that my payment is being refunded.

However this means no new iPhone :( to think I could of gotten one from voitech but now they are all out.

So then to get this thread back to its title, how would I now going about getting an iPhone in Australia (i.e. to me not from a place in Aus)

Is there a way to buy an unlocked (legally) from france and get it here or any other option other than mac-pro.com or mail redirection from apple US.

cheers, theov.

Keving
21st December 2007, 02:57 PM
Well I'm somewhat happy now that I got an email from paypal saying that my payment is being refunded.

However this means no new iPhone :( to think I could of gotten one from voitech but now they are all out.

So then to get this thread back to its title, how would I now going about getting an iPhone in Australia (i.e. to me not from a place in Aus)

Is there a way to buy an unlocked (legally) from france and get it here or any other option other than mac-pro.com or mail redirection from apple US.

cheers, theov.

Probably best to just wait for the 3G iPhones now.. they're going to be here soon.

laughingbird
21st December 2007, 03:04 PM
Well I'm somewhat happy now that I got an email from paypal saying that my payment is being refSo then to get this thread back to its title, how would I now going about getting an iPhone in Australia (i.e. to me not from a place in Aus)

Seems to me that there are still plenty of unlocked or unlockable ones going on eBay. Providing you are dealing with someone with a good record and you check the serial number with them first to be sure of the week number, you should be right. No doubt there are some sharks out there, but cover your bases. Make sure you pay with PayPal again just to be sure.

topgunn
22nd December 2007, 12:52 AM
Bring Back From Overseas Can You Carry The Phone On You To Get Through Customs I Have Heard That Buying Overseas Customs Have Be Not Letting I Phone Through Any One??

Febs
22nd December 2007, 10:03 PM
I Have Heard That Buying Overseas Customs Have Be Not Letting I Phone Through Any One??

Nup, rubbish.

vargz
23rd December 2007, 08:40 AM

I had a couple of mad, iPhone-obsessed weeks earlier in the month, searching mainly through eBay and other websites. I have since settled a bit and opted for a bit of patience, as difficult as it is!

Two things to consider:
- In the lead-up to Xmas, the demand/prices for iPhones are getting driven up ridiculously.
- Macworld is in mid-Jan, not far away, it may be worth holding off to see what the future of the iPhone is (eg 3G, AU release?)

Just some food for thought :)

Crackers
3rd January 2008, 07:53 PM
I know it is a bit off topic, but has anyone procured and unlocked iPhone from France, or know of anyone who has one. I have a mate heading over there in March so I am keen to see if there has been any reported problems.....?

Cheers

W9cae
3rd January 2008, 08:20 PM
The unlocked iPhones in France are not a true unlock only a regional unlock to comply with regulations of the EU. You would not be doing yourself good. Your best to wait for the Australian model which will be here soon.

TheWatchman
4th January 2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah, see what jobs says at macworld in his keynote he may hint or even announce things that we have no clue about

decryption
16th January 2008, 09:40 AM
Anyone know the best place to buy a shrink-wrapped iPhone? I don't mind paying a little extra if I get a bit more security/peace of mind that I will actually get it.

Tejas
16th January 2008, 09:41 AM
Anyone know the best place to buy a shrink-wrapped iPhone? I don't mind paying a little extra if I get a bit more security/peace of mind that I will actually get it.

mine came from mac-pro brand new and shrink wrapped

wbf1980
16th January 2008, 08:25 PM
Alot of the in country sellers have hacked them for you ready to go. I was just happy to pay and walk away with an iphone that worked immediately.

Brentnal
17th January 2008, 08:58 AM
So, if I was to purchase an iPhone (already hacked) for use in Australia at the moment. What would everyone recommend? The TurboSIM method and getting a 1.1.2 device?

Comet
17th January 2008, 09:10 AM
I'm in the same situation as you. Unfortunately I don't value the TurboSIM for the premium that people are asking for (>$200). I'm going to get a 1.1.2 with one of the elcheapo ones such as NextSIM.

TheWatchman
17th January 2008, 09:13 AM
don't pay too much for any of the XXXsim's as I heard none of them work with 1.1.3

Comet
17th January 2008, 09:26 AM
don't pay too much for any of the XXXsim's as I heard none of them work with 1.1.2

You mean 1.1.3?

I'm happy to stick with 1.1.2. Surely someone clever will come up with a solution for 1.1.3. If not, then you'll probably out of pocket of $60 or so. Not a big deal as long as you stick to 1.1.2 for the time being. Better than playing the waiting game forever... (Been waiting since the release :( ) No 3G iPhone announcement = Time to buy!

Brentnal
17th January 2008, 09:35 AM
I agree with Comet.

Where are you going to buy a device hacked with "NextSIM"?

Comet
17th January 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm getting it mine through eBay. I've got my brother over in the US, but since there is a risk that the ones in the stores are already 1.1.3, I'm going to go through eBay just to be sure.

decryption
17th January 2008, 09:40 AM
I agree with Comet.

Where are you going to buy a device hacked with "NextSIM"?

I also agree with Comet and I also want to know where Comet plans on purchasing said iPhone :)

decryption
17th January 2008, 10:36 AM
I just asked Jeremy from Next Byte to grab one for me while he's in the US.
iPod Touch, 3 Skypephone and a Nokia 6280 all up for sale in a week :)

james the 2nd
17th January 2008, 10:38 AM
How will you unlock it decryption?

Comet
17th January 2008, 03:55 PM
I've actually purchased a NextSIM 4 from HK through ebay and asked my brother to get me an iPhone from LA! Hopefully I'll have some iPhone action next week.

decryption
17th January 2008, 03:57 PM
How will you unlock it decryption?

Dunno yet - need to research what's around. Looks like I'll need to get some hardware SIM thing to hack it?

Brentnal
17th January 2008, 09:16 PM
OK so I took the plunge.

$815 on eBay inc. freight using the TurboSIM method.

kogi
18th January 2008, 08:13 AM
mine came from mac-pro brand new and shrink wrapped

Got link pls?

Tejas
18th January 2008, 09:23 AM
Got link pls?

www.mac-pro.com

cosmichobo
18th January 2008, 09:18 PM
Please tell me that people on here are not paying over $750 to buy an iPhone???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APPLE-iPHONE-0-RESERVE-10-EXPRESS-POST-AUS-WIDE_W0QQitemZ330203849897QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3312Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kogi
18th January 2008, 09:32 PM
www.mac-pro.com

Thank you, how much was shipping to oz for yours.
So if I get this then I need to a XXXsim?

kogi

Comet
18th January 2008, 09:37 PM
Please tell me that people on here are not paying over $750 to buy an iPhone???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APPLE-iPHONE-0-RESERVE-10-EXPRESS-POST-AUS-WIDE_W0QQitemZ330203849897QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3312Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Buying that won't get you access to the iPhone as a phone. You'll still need to get a *SIM solution to get it to work as a phone. Definitely not a good price. If you're going on eBay, just do the buy it now for ones that sell for $699 with a *SIM.

bolle
18th January 2008, 09:39 PM
is there anywhere you can still pick up a jailbroken iphone for a decent price?

cosmichobo
18th January 2008, 11:24 PM
But even $699 is $250 more than the exchange rate on a US iPhone...

Postage and GST can't come close to that surely...

There's SO Much profiteering going on...

Comet
18th January 2008, 11:37 PM
But even $699 is $250 more than the exchange rate on a US iPhone...

Postage and GST can't come close to that surely...

There's SO Much profiteering going on...

Let me do the calculations for you and you might feel that its not too bad.

iPhone: US$399
NY State Tax (8.75%): US$35
NextSIM: US$65

Total: ~US$499

Exchange rate: US$1 = AU$0.90
Which makes it ~AU$550

Now the difference is $150. Even if you're asking a friend/colleague to get you one on their trip, you're going to probably end up taking them out for a nice meal. (~$70).

For me, I asked my brother to send me the iPhone from the US and I've sourced my NextSIM through eBay, but for the convenience I might have still gone with eBay if it wasn't for my kind brother who actually got one for me today.

Here's my thought on this. This isn't available here in Australia so whatever you see on eBay is the market price ($800+). If you can get it lower than the market price it's a bargain regardless of how cheap the supplier gets his goods.

macsonny
20th January 2008, 07:11 AM
Ok, some kinda bad news. I'm in San Diego right now. Have bought 2 iPhones over the past week. 1 from an AT&T store and 1 from the local Apple store. I'm just about to hop on a plane, but thought I'd pick up one more iPhone today. Went to the AT&T store in downtown San Diego and was refused the iPhone because I didn't have US ID. Not happy Jan. Ohe well, got two at least I guess.

Only way to get them as a non-US citizen is directly from the Apple sotre apparently.

Tejas
20th January 2008, 08:35 AM
Thank you, how much was shipping to oz for yours.
So if I get this then I need to a XXXsim?

kogi

$41 US. the shipping times were awesome - sent on thursday night, arrived on monday morning into melbourne. i got an early model so mine is anysim'd - not sure how to do new models

Febs
20th January 2008, 08:17 PM
Only way to get them as a non-US citizen is directly from the Apple sotre apparently.

Depends entirely on the salesperson you deal with. I visited both Apple and AT&T stores where they were more than happy to sell me an iPhone - the AT&T store sales rep even looked out the back to try to find a v1.1.1. :)

Then, at one of those Apple stores, a different sales person told my colleague "Sorry, US citizens only."

edward_h
20th January 2008, 08:45 PM
Depends entirely on the salesperson you deal with. I visited both Apple and AT&T stores where they were more than happy to sell me an iPhone - the AT&T store sales rep even looked out the back to try to find a v1.1.1. :)

Then, at one of those Apple stores, a different sales person told my colleague "Sorry, US citizens only."

Can they do that?

Could they then say we only sell to white people?

macsonny
21st January 2008, 10:58 AM
Can they do that?

Could they then say we only sell to white people?

My thoughts exactly when I was rejected. Talk about feeling like a second class citizen ;-)

I was going to read them my Constitutional rights - but then thought better of it being a US citizen and all :-)

tcn33
21st January 2008, 11:09 AM
They can't legally discriminate on the basis of citizenship. They can, however, discriminate on the basis of residency.

Snagglepuss
21st January 2008, 10:37 PM
The last I read is that they only sell them now if you have a US credit card!

vortex_
22nd January 2008, 12:11 PM
I have a friend in Florida who's agreed to pick up an iPhone for me, which versions should I steer clear of and which should I try to get given a choice?

This friend has a contacts in the local Apple Store, so with any luck i'll be able to get the best version for unlocking and use in Australia. My limited research tells me that 1.1.2 is unlockable with a TurboSim, and that 1.1.3 is NOT unlockable yet. Is this correct?

Is there any specific markings or version numbers on the box that would lend clues as to the preferred version to get?

Cheers

cplicious
22nd January 2008, 12:23 PM
Sounds correct so far. You are looking for the numbers in the serial on the back of the iphone. Look for something like 7U739YGDWH6 The 39 in the middle is for manufactured week 39 of the year. I am not sure what week they switched to 1.1.3 but anything around the 38-45 should be okay.

Febs
25th January 2008, 11:31 PM
Sounds correct so far. You are looking for the numbers in the serial on the back of the iphone. Look for something like 7U739YGDWH6 The 39 in the middle is for manufactured week 39 of the year. I am not sure what week they switched to 1.1.3 but anything around the 38-45 should be okay.

Apparently though some week 39s have been found to be v1.1.2 with the new bootloader (4.6)! They say the IMEI is the most accurate method to use to identify a v1.1.1.

Apparently "anything 01136400 is 1.1.2".

Cheers,
- Febs.

krafty
31st January 2008, 01:52 PM
OK i have a USA contact.
What / where is the best place to buy a phone outright for them to send to me?

pro's and cons.

Keving
31st January 2008, 01:55 PM
From an Apple Store.

decryption
31st January 2008, 01:57 PM
You can only buy it from AT&T's store, or from an Apple retail store or from Apple online.

Just go to the Apple store :p

Alessiman
31st January 2008, 02:05 PM
Buy online as you are not hit with sales tax. I assume Apple will give you free shipping as well

anarchron
31st January 2008, 02:07 PM
New Hampshire. No sales tax.

I think even if you buy online, it will calculate sales tax of the delivery location.

wise
31st January 2008, 02:08 PM
^ correct

krafty
31st January 2008, 02:18 PM
and how about firmware, am i correct to assume all phones on the market / stores will be 1.1.3.

undertow
31st January 2008, 02:21 PM
Not really going to matter what the best deal is the majority of phone sold in stores now are running bootloader 4.6 though there has been reports of refurb ones being an alright deal as they still come loaded with 1.0.2 or 1.1.1 firmware

Comet
31st January 2008, 02:21 PM
It would be safer to walk into a store and get a 1.1.2 firmware. Online versions, they might be shipping 1.1.3.

krafty
31st January 2008, 02:23 PM
is a 1.1.3 an over priced ipod touch or just more work to use here???

krafty
31st January 2008, 03:12 PM
is the AT&T part of the deal done by the purchaser externally from the apple store?
so you buy the phone from apple, > go home ring At&T and activate the phone with a contract.
Is that the way it works in the USA?

macsonny
31st January 2008, 03:30 PM
So what was the build week Apple went from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3? I have a mate in the US right now who can get a hold of two units with build week 52 but he wants to make sure it 1.1.2 firmware.

Is there a link somewhere?

Febs
3rd February 2008, 08:06 PM
is the AT&T part of the deal done by the purchaser externally from the apple store?
so you buy the phone from apple, > go home ring At&T and activate the phone with a contract.
Is that the way it works in the USA?

Pretty much, although you typically activate it through iTunes.

Some AT&T stores will (apparently) try to sign you up/activate your iPhone on the spot, but the way around this is to say you're buying it for a friend. :)

In my experience, most Apple Store staff are happy to sell it to you, regardless of what you're going to do with it (I openly told the girl who sold me mine that I was going to hack them and use them in Australia. A sale's a sale :thumbup: ).

Cheers,
- Febs.

TheWatchman
9th February 2008, 01:17 PM
So where's the best place to get one of these babys? Quite interested now they are all unlockable.

W9cae
9th February 2008, 02:19 PM
Besides my friend who I mentioned in the other thread and have emailed about supply

There is this mac store in San Jose who can supply.

http://www.mac-pro.com/Mac-Pro-Online-Store?search=iphone

Or Ebay

Huy
9th February 2008, 02:22 PM
Mac-Pro is about the same price as the cheapest/best on eBay.

Approx $550 USD for an 8GB model (from a good seller, 100% feedback, almost a thousand transactions, Power Seller, etc). New in box - which is what I'd prefer. :)

Mac-Pro charge the same price. But I'd just get it from eBay (personally) because they have a feedback system and payment by PayPal with buyer protection. USPS Express International 3-5 business days to get here.

danno74
9th February 2008, 03:57 PM
Is this in Australian dollars or in US dollars? Because they are chargin $549 for an 8gb iPhone, when it is $399 US on the Apple Store.

Besides my friend who I mentioned in the other thread and have emailed about supply

Or Ebay

Huy
9th February 2008, 04:06 PM
Mac-Pro is in USD.

$549 US includes the $49 or so for postage/shipping, packaging and insurance. It is probably around $55 to $60 USD actually, going off USPS prices on Ebay.

So really, they're charging an extra $100 US for their service/time.

Yes, it is $399 US on the Apple store, but they don't ship internationally and unless you have a mate/go over yourself, the $100 is not bad actually, because you have to take into consideration transport, time and especially State taxes that apply.

james the 2nd
9th February 2008, 05:17 PM

Or Ebay

Ahh. which thread was that W9cae? (I seem to have missed it.)

Huy
9th February 2008, 05:39 PM
Ahh. which thread was that W9cae? (I seem to have missed it.)

This one:
Does everyone that wants an iPhone in Oz have one?
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=443619#post443619

krafty
10th February 2008, 09:39 AM
Mac-Pro is in USD.

$549 US includes the $49 or so for postage/shipping, packaging and insurance. It is probably around $55 to $60 USD actually, going off USPS prices on Ebay.

So really, they're charging an extra $100 US for their service/time.

The $549.99 does not include postage. $41 postage .

You pay extra for service, a shop that runs a business to make money by offering a service. Its still better than Mr. Anonymous off ebay. This bloke even answers his phone & explains the process.

we want want want don't we.

Dante Kyar
10th February 2008, 10:16 AM
For unlocked ones at quite a premium hamgo.com is good. Although, only buy that if you really cant unlock it. Having said that, im sure someone in the forum will help you.

fiddler
14th February 2008, 09:22 AM
Hi.

I'd like to buy an unlocked & jailbroken 16Gb iPhone. Can anyone recommend someone in Sydney who can sell me one?

Thanks.

krafty
16th February 2008, 09:16 PM
fiddler, you are asking a lot, the 16gig units are just on a week old & finding someone selling them in Sydney will be like finding someone selling rocking horse sh!t.

edit 11am sunday, just had phone call from my sister in las Vegas, she just called me from the apple shop, she bought me a 16 gig model. Home later in the week. :D

volks
18th February 2008, 10:59 AM
Hey all, I did a search for this service on the forum but did not find anything, well I could have missed it, anyhow I thought this may interest some people, just came across them on the interweb, I have not used them, but the service may interest some people here... just sounds interesting...

Regards

http://www.priceusa.com.au

What fees do you charge?
5% of the total order price. A$10 minimum. All other expenses are at cost.

How do I order?
Fill in our order form and tell us what you want to buy, or click on a quick buy button. We do the rest.

How do I order an Apple iPhone?
This is our most popular item. We only offer the iPhone both in 8GB and 16GB versions. To order an iPhone please click on either link and fill in your name, address and email. We will then send you the payment details. We sell the current model which has firmware 1.1.3.

How long will it take for my order to arrive?
Normally 10 to 21 days.

How can we contact you?
email us at support@priceusa.com.au

---------->

16GB iPhone now available
February 6th, 2008
I have added the new 16GB iPhone to our quick buys. These cost us US$581.91 to acquire with US state sales tax and the extra fee we pay our agent to get them (they are difficult to buy). This means that at the current exchange rate they are a little under A$750 including shipping and all fees.

Both the 16GB and 8GB iPhones are brand new and come straight from Apple so they have the 1.1.3 firmware. Given that this has just been software hacked (no need for a SIM unlock card) I expect that Apple will be releasing a new firmware pretty soon - if you are thinking of ordering then now might be a good time.

Apple 8GB iPhone
Apple Australia
Not available
Our Price*
A$606.99

---------->

Address
Price USA Pty Ltd
12 Mill St
Bendigo Vic 3550
Australia
Phone
(03) 5443 5759

WHO ARE WE?
Price USA is owned and operated by Dr Carolina Tillett. In 2005 I moved to Bendigo with my husband Daniel Tillett who is a Senior Lecturer at the School Of Pharmacy, La Trobe University. Since moving I had been looking to start a business which I could schedule around our two young boys. After going through the frustration of trying to order a product from several US companies, I thought that a service that would let Australians buy directly from the USA might be a good business.

WHY PRICE USA?
The original idea for Price USA came when I tried to order an item from the USA that wasn't available here in Australia. The company I first contacted was not willing to ship to Australia. After much searching I eventually found another company that would ship to Australia, but they wanted to charged me more than $200 for shipping a $25 product! I thought there must be a better way and Price USA was born.

macsyd
18th February 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks volks, this looks like it could be the way to go, and reasonable price too.

marc
18th February 2008, 11:37 AM
mac-pro.com = AUD$660 delivered (to Melb) for the 8gb iPhone.

Bought one two weeks ago and it took about a week to get here. As others have said, they respond to their emails and are very professional. Very, very happy with the service.

Customs opened the box, but didn't do anything except put a "quarantine matters" brochure inside and some "opened by customs" stickers on the outside :)

krafty
18th February 2008, 07:23 PM
us what you want to buy, or click on a quick buy button. We do the rest.

---------->

16GB iPhone now available
February 6th, 2008
I have added the new 16GB iPhone to our quick buys. These cost us US$581.91 to acquire with US state sales tax and the extra fee we pay our agent to get them (they are difficult to buy). This means that at the current exchange rate they are a little under A$750 including shipping and all fees.

my iphone 16 gig bought yesterday US $538 inc state tax, are they being completely honest? Do states have different tax rates? $50 USD is a big difference, when you are calling it "cost".

vortex_
18th February 2008, 07:41 PM
Got my iphone today from the US, upgraded to 1.1.3 and unlocked it using ZiPhone. So easy its amazing!

Got it working with a junk vodafone prepaid until I can get my number ported over from 3 to a suitable plan later in the week :D I cant wait to see the look on the phone shop guy's face when i pull out an iphone to put the simcard in :D

spuds_imac
18th February 2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but can you buy these in Singapore yet?

kylebuttress
19th February 2008, 01:04 PM
will the the iphone work with 3 sim cards?

Dante Kyar
19th February 2008, 01:16 PM
no, not the 3 sim cards

Alessiman
19th February 2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but can you buy these in Singapore yet?

They are all over sim lim square for about $1000 Singapore Dollars

Phase
26th February 2008, 09:00 AM
To anyone who has used

www.priceusa.com.au

What was your experience like. To me they seem to be the real deal, quite openly explaining why they charge what they do, and I respect that. One thing that gets me with this service, is, say the iPhone arrives DOA, does the 'Return Insurance' mean that their agent in the states will take it back to an Apple store, or are you SOL?

I will drop them an email to clarify, but if anyone here can answer that it'd be great.

aaron_meredith
26th February 2008, 09:40 AM
To anyone who has used

www.priceusa.com.au

What was your experience like. To me they seem to be the real deal, quite openly explaining why they charge what they do, and I respect that. One thing that gets me with this service, is, say the iPhone arrives DOA, does the 'Return Insurance' mean that their agent in the states will take it back to an Apple store, or are you SOL?

I will drop them an email to clarify, but if anyone here can answer that it'd be great.

I am currently in the process of using the services of Price USA and I must say they are fantastic. From the moment of ordering, they have emailed me where my iPhone is at at every step of the transaction. Its hard to find an iPhone for under AUD$600, but Price USA offer (depending on exchange rate) it.

The only negative thing (and its the smallest little thing) I have to say is that once paid, they they have to get the phone through their agent in America. This process seems to take 4-5 days, and from there its another 6 before it reaches your door step. I mean we can all wait a couple more days right?

So far though, excellent service from what it seems to be a one man(women) team based in Victoria! I should be getting mine by the end of the week, start of next through them!

In regards to the return insurance (which I didn't opt for) it DOES cover any warranty send backs, including DOA, but of course will not cover any Unlocking and Activating processes by third party hacks.

the_cripple
26th February 2008, 09:48 AM
After having a look @ apple store (US) pricing, im finding it extremely hard to be able to justify paying more then $500inc postage for an 8gb iphone.

Comet
26th February 2008, 09:54 AM
After having a look @ apple store (US) pricing, im finding it extremely hard to be able to justify paying more then $500inc postage for an 8gb iphone.

Why is that?
iPhone - US$399
Sales Tax - US$40
Shippping - US$40

that in itself becomes around US$480. Then you should add $50 for the trouble of someone getting the iPhone, lining up at the post office to ship the thing.

I would say anything under AU$600 is a win/win amount for both parties.

Phase
26th February 2008, 09:57 AM

Er-

Why?

I'm not sure about you, but I don't have family in the states who would be willing to just walk in, use their credit card and ship it to me and not ask for anything in return.

Upon comparison, ebay Australia is looking for $900-1100 dollars for a 16Gb iPhone.

Suddenly PriceUsa looks very good.

OziMac
26th February 2008, 09:59 AM

If so, I doubt you're factoring sales tax, shipping, packing and insurance, and unless you have large stored repositories of US cash, the exchange rate you're most likely going to get from a credit card company (as opposed to the ridiculously generous one on xe.com).

After factoring in the above, the best rate I figure is in the range of AUD 540-550. And that assumes you have someone at the other end who's willing to sort all this out for you for free.

I'd say AUD 500 is a steal, and anything up to 600 is pretty reasonable. :)

aaron_meredith
26th February 2008, 10:45 AM
If anyone can get a AUD$500 iPhone when factoring in sales tax, shipping at both ends of the transaction, insurance and buyers fees, let me know!

After doing hours of research into this.. you are not going to get something for under AUD$580 if you dont have someone to send you the product from the States (eg, Family or Friends). Most companies and agents have them going for AUD$620 which when you factor in everything and even then this is a good price!

The markups on eBay can be ridiculous, so shop around. As mentioned previously in this thread, Mac-Pro and PriceUSA are two great places to get iPhones from, and very reasonable priced

james the 2nd
26th February 2008, 10:49 AM
worldpurchases.com is worth a look.

Others have mentioned this one on the forum so do a bit of a search.

starbug
27th February 2008, 08:11 PM
I've also used PriceUSA (http://www.priceusa.com.au) to get my iPhone. I thought the service was great and they're local to boot.
:thumbup:

mechcon
27th February 2008, 08:21 PM
well the $50,000 question would be.. if you got an iphone from the US.. and say hypothetically they were released in australia (we all know it wont till the carriers co-operate :P), would it be possible to applecare a US purchased iphone or any apple product for that matter with australian applecare?

krafty
27th February 2008, 08:24 PM
if your phone isn't stolen then why not purchase apple care via ebay, apply the serial numbers relating to the iphone and you should be sweet.

richbowen
27th February 2008, 10:13 PM
Doesn't unlocking the iPhone void the warranty ... thus making Applecare a bit of a waste of money?

bolle
27th February 2008, 11:20 PM
I've also used PriceUSA (http://www.priceusa.com.au) to get my iPhone. I thought the service was great and they're local to boot.
:thumbup:

congrats! which model did you buy, and how much all up did it end up costing?

starbug
27th February 2008, 11:27 PM
congrats! which model did you buy, and how much all up did it end up costing?

I bought mine last December. So unfortunately, the 16GB wasn't available, so I got the 8GB which cost $623.94 which included express delivery and insurance.

OziMac
28th February 2008, 12:34 AM
Doesn't unlocking the iPhone void the warranty ... thus making Applecare a bit of a waste of money?

That's what I would think.

Anyone who buys an iPhone now prior to its 'official' release in Australia has to realise that their unlocked iPhone will not work with Apple's official iPhone carrier / plan without being unlocked (as Apple will not likely allow such phones to be activated through iTunes), and so the chances of being able to use it in an 'official' locked capacity at a later stage are slim to none.

If you import and unlock an iPhone, you have to accept the consequence that it will not likely ever be supported by Apple in Australia.

If you must have an Apple-supported phone to take advantage of Apple's services and support, then you will need to wait until they are released here, or simply buy one now and buy another then. :)

asphotos
28th February 2008, 09:59 AM
dd photographics now sell iphones

http://www.d-d-photographics.com/appleiphone.htm

:)

*delete if you consider this spam :)

bolle
28th February 2008, 11:09 AM
I bought mine last December. So unfortunately, the 16GB wasn't available, so I got the 8GB which cost $623.94 which included express delivery and insurance.

did you have to factor in any sales tax? because us$499 + 5% + postage = a very cheap 16gb iPhone

edesign
28th February 2008, 09:06 PM
I am in the US in a couple of weeks and considering buying an iPhone. Is there someone who can unlock it for me when I come back to Melbourne in May?

pearshape
29th February 2008, 07:15 AM
If anyone can get a AUD$500 iPhone when factoring in sales tax, shipping at both ends of the transaction, insurance and buyers fees, let me know!

After doing hours of research into this.. you are not going to get something for under AUD$580 if you dont have someone to send you the product from the States (eg, Family or Friends). Most companies and agents have them going for AUD$620 which when you factor in everything and even then this is a good price!

The markups on eBay can be ridiculous, so shop around. As mentioned previously in this thread, Mac-Pro and PriceUSA are two great places to get iPhones from, and very reasonable priced

I got a 1.1.3 16gb for $670 USD which is about $715 AUD from Worldpurchases (http://www.worldpurchases.com/iphones.html) Pretty good coz the ones I looked at on ebay are $900+ AUD. Took maybe over a week to get here. And just followed the baby steps tutorial on this forum for unlocking. Easy! :thumbup:

starbug
29th February 2008, 09:07 AM
did you have to factor in any sales tax? because us$499 + 5% + postage = a very cheap 16gb iPhone

I'm not sure of the exact price breakdown, but once your order is placed, they send you an email with the total cost.

peterMacfreak
10th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Got an email from Compnow who are selling the iPhone through Vodafone.

Limited stock per location + free case & charger.

Vodafone plans seem to be the go i reckon, kind of in between the others with a decent network

What Optus' 3g coverage like?

Thanks,

Petey

jppat
10th July 2008, 11:55 PM
CompNow gave me a call at about 6pm, and said they were getting about 10 per store! I am gonna go to the CompNow store if I am unable to get one at the Vodafone launch in Melbourne

OziMac
10th July 2008, 11:57 PM
I believe you're looking for this thread or one of its variants.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/52637-speculation-vodafone-plan-info-part-2-a.html

This thread is so not relevant any more. :)