PDA

View Full Version : Which brand DVD's burn at 4x on a PB?

Zaq
8th February 2005, 10:29 PM
Hey peeps,

I know I read somewhere Macs are a little more sensitive to burning speeds than PC's. I've bought several DVD-R brands all 4x but my 15" PB bought last Oct only burns at 2x.

Someone suggested that specific brands have better success than others so thought I'd ask what brands people use that succesfully burn at x4

Or if anyone can offer other suggestions to my prob I'd be most appreciative

cheers Zaq

Comet
8th February 2005, 10:37 PM
I found that TDKs are the best in terms of reliability and availability in stores. JB-HiFi usually have them fairly cheap.

If you want cheaper ones i haven't had any problems with RiTek. Princo would screw up and the rest I didn't bother.

spargo
8th February 2005, 11:23 PM
My photo/music/data back-up procecedure is via a box of 10 TDK DVD-RW 4x speed discs, which I think burn at 4 speed in my 6 month old PB SuperDrive..

I have used TDK DVD-R's in Australia before I came here and never had a problem - they also seem to be the only supplier I could find around London's computer stores that sell a 4x speed DVD 'minus' RW disc - every one else has 2x speeds only in their range (such as Sony, etc). Why have 2x when you can get a 4x .. Go TDK!

One guy at a store I went to (that doesn't sell Apple!) when chasing these 4x discs told me that Apple's were 'shit' because they didn't support plus/minus DVD discs (this was prior to recent releases).. I responded by asking him what laptop he had, and he proudly pointed to a Dell on the shelf behind him.. I inspected the machine with interest, and quickly asked him "why do you bother carrying two laptops..?", he gave me a blank look until I sarcasticly corrected myself by saying "oh sorry mate, my mistake, it just looks like there's two stuck together its so damn thick and heavy.. how do you lug that thing around!? Do you have a trolley!?" - i then left the store carrying only my PoweBook in its sleek incase laptop bag by my side in plain view of the dumbfounded retailer.. score one for the PowerBooks out there! :D

he he.. :P

josh64
8th February 2005, 11:30 PM
Haha nice reply spargo!

Zaq
12th February 2005, 09:33 PM
Thx guys....I'll buy some TDK's and give a bash

cheers Zaq

zen
13th February 2005, 05:26 AM
Just for your peace of mind, they are on special in officeworks (vic) not sure about other states for only $34.95 both + and - DVDR's. I think Target stocks them for the same price too B)

jpldisplays (http://www.jpldisplays.com.au/oscommerce/catalog/) stock them for the same price if you decide to get it shipped to your door instead, they also have a wide range of other brands such as Taiyo Yuden's which is no doubt the best media manufactuere out there, but they arn't exacly cheap either ;)

Currawong
13th February 2005, 08:45 AM
I've been using Ritek and Imation DVD's. My local Officeworks unfortunately ran out of the TDK's when I was last there.

AusMac
13th February 2005, 08:54 AM
Imation also work fine
and .. arent TDK made by Mitsubishi?