PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto dpi

SilverJ
9th September 2007, 03:26 PM
Hey all,

I was excited about using iPhoto '08 to transfer images from my Canon EOS 10D Digital SLR to the iPhoto library. I have set it up to use Photoshop CS3 to edit photos. All transferred fine and dandy, however, I have a problem where I'd like iPhoto to save them as 300DPI not 180 DPI like it seems to have done when I open my image in Photoshop. Now apparently iPhoto '08 now works in 300DPI but I cannot find how that is possibly changed... I don't really want to have to make my images 300DPI each time I open an image into photoshop from iPhoto.

Any other photographers out there have this problem?

Otherwise I guess I will install the software that came with the camera onto my mac,
and import it using the file viewer utility where I can set the DPI that is saves them all as,
but the interface is nowhere near as nice and userfriendly as iPhoto and I am used to using the Canon program on my windows machine so not even sure what its like on mac... as its at least 2 year old software now.

Thanks in advance..

BLINDER
9th September 2007, 03:51 PM
I've got the same with Aperture and iPhoto.
I've started using Aperture this year and had previously been able to distinctly select whatever DPI I want and need - 72/ 180/ 240/ 276/ 300 - whatever. I use some funny numbers and I use them for a reason.
I can't find anywhere I can change DPI in either programme. Or am I wrong?
Someone please find a solution!!

mac_man_luke
9th September 2007, 04:18 PM
your camera would be setting the resolution

leaving it as is makes no difference, there are still the same number of pixels

also changing it in photoshop will be fine as well (just make sure resample is not ticked)

SilverJ
9th September 2007, 09:43 PM
Well my camera doesn't actually set what dpi it shoots in,
I just shoot on either RAW on best quality large jpeg..
so are you saying that even in aperture you can't set the dpi it imports in?
thats a professional program apparently,
Perhaps I should just use my windows computer to import them or the canon software for my mac that I haven't looked at because not having this feature is quite a let down...

mac_man_luke
9th September 2007, 09:52 PM
why does it bother you? there is the same detail there regardless

SilverJ
9th September 2007, 10:41 PM
I don't understand,
how can 180 dpi be the same detail as 300 dpi?

mac_man_luke
9th September 2007, 10:56 PM
for example when the image is taken it might be 30x20cm @ 180 dpi but it might be 15x10cm @ 300 dpi (numbers are just an example)

This is directly related to how many megapixels your camera is.

marc
9th September 2007, 11:05 PM
I don't understand,
how can 180 dpi be the same detail as 300 dpi?
mac_man_luke's right... The DPI is just a tag that's added to the image, it doesn't actually change the image.

For example, a 100 pixel wide image could be considered to be:
- 1 inch wide at 100DPI
- 2 inches wide at 50DPI
- half an inch at 200DPI

So changing the DPI tag won't change the image (unless you're resizing the image at the same time... Photoshop can do either, depending on what you ask for).

So a 10 megapixel image is 10 megapixels, no matter if it's 72DPI, 200DPI or 300DPI.

There is a case where it does matter though: when you're importing into InDesign etc, as InDesign will place at the right size, so it's nice to have big images with an approximate DPI tag. Also, sometimes previews are saved with images, and if the DPI is set too low, then the preview image can be massive (= slower to preview, bigger files size on disk, other issues).

ClockWork
10th September 2007, 12:33 AM
SilverJ,

It sounds like what you really need, is an Automatic Action to occur in Adobe Photoshop.

Okay, so you've already set iPhoto to open photos in Adobe Photoshop.

Next stage.

1. With Adobe Photoshop open, click on your Actions palette - or:
click on top menu item: Window - and scroll down to: Actions - to make it appear.

2. In the Actions palette, click once on the Create New Set icon, at the very bottom of the Actions palette - it looks like a tiny Folder - and give it a new name that means something to you, like: Change Resolution - and then click the OK button.

3. Click once on the: Create new action icon - which is right next to the Create New Set icon, and looks like a page being turned from the bottom corner.

4. Change the default name of the new Action, once again to something you can remember - like: 300DPI. It's Set should already have the same name you gave the New Set in Step 2 - ie: Change Resolution, and next to the words: Function Key - click on the button containing the word: None and scroll it down to: F1.

5. Now click the Record button. Swap back to iPhoto - double-click on any photo so it opens in Adobe Photoshop. Click on top menu item: Image - and scroll down to: Image Size...

Now Uncheck the Resample Image box, change the Resolution to: 300 - and click the OK button.

6. Click once on the Stop recording button, at the very bottom of the Actions palette - it's the first one, and it just looks like a solid square.

7. You can now close the resized photo in Adobe Photoshop. Makes no difference whether you Save it or not, as that Action is now Recorded.

8. One final step. In the Actions palette, to the left of the New - (Change Resolution) Set you created, you'll see a tiny grey toggling arrow pointing to the East.
Click once on this little arrow, and it will toggle downwards to point to the South, and thus showing you all the actions recorded in your New Set - (you may need to scroll down to see them).

They will all have black ticks to the left of them. Click once on the black tick to the left of: Open - to make it vanish. If a dialogue box appears warning you of something, just click on it's OK button.

That's it.

Now all you need to do is go back into iPhoto, double-click a photo to open in Adobe Photoshop, and when it appears, simply hit the F1 key on your keyboard, and your photo will automatically snap to 300 dpi.

cheers,

cw

SilverJ
10th September 2007, 04:21 PM
Thank you mac_man_luke, marc and ClockWork!

Roxanne_Adams
15th March 2008, 04:42 AM
So... I don't have photoshop sadly, nor Apperture... I need to change the dpi so the images are web-ready - this is what the web designer has asked for. Thus, I only have iphoto to do the job - so we return to... how does one change the dpi in iphoto!!

Thank you so much :)

grfxninja
15th March 2008, 09:21 AM
So... I don't have photoshop sadly, nor Apperture... I need to change the dpi so the images are web-ready - this is what the web designer has asked for. Thus, I only have iphoto to do the job - so we return to... how does one change the dpi in iphoto!!

Export from iPhoto at full size (or whatever size you want really, but make sure it is bigger than what you will need it for)
Open the image in "Preview", go to the Tools > Adjust Size
Enter the size you want it at, and the resolution want, make sure "Resample Image" is selected
Click OK
Save
Done

This could probably be setup to run as an Automator action, but I couldn't be bothered having a look right now. If this is something you will be doing regularly, then I would seriously have a look at that option

gilligan911
15th March 2008, 10:06 AM

Or got to iPhoto --> File --> Export then select "web Page" and set it how you like.

melbmac
15th March 2008, 06:26 PM
Ahhh the old .dpi argument (I've had it twice today already)....

SilverJ
15th March 2008, 07:41 PM
Mm, I never ended up using iPhoto.
I use Lightroom now and shoot always in RAW.

Roxanne_Adams
16th March 2008, 11:24 PM
Export from iPhoto at full size (or whatever size you want really, but make sure it is bigger than what you will need it for)
Open the image in "Preview", go to the Tools > Adjust Size
Enter the size you want it at, and the resolution want, make sure "Resample Image" is selected
Click OK
Save
Done

This could probably be setup to run as an Automator action, but I couldn't be bothered having a look right now. If this is something you will be doing regularly, then I would seriously have a look at that option

I have Preview 3.0.9 and it doesn't have "Tools > Adjust Size" :(

Roxanne_Adams
17th March 2008, 02:07 AM
okay, so I can download the open source program Seahorse. It's simpler than GIMP for people who just want to do something basic as I do... :thumbup:

Seashore - Download (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/download.php)