PDA

View Full Version : [Mega Merge] Australia/3G iPhone speculation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

gbuikstra
14th May 2007, 03:35 PM
I had to ring Optus regarding a new phone for an employee of ours, and on ending that discussion I asked the rep if he had heard of the iPhone.

His voice changed from the normal salesman type tone to one of excitement and said "YES".

I then mentioned to him that my boss and myself want to get one when they are released, and his answer was......."That will be no problem, we should be able to work something out"

Now, he either knows somthing about Optus and Apple teaming up or he knows nothing on how it will be sold.

I'll leave you all to make up your own minds.

MrJesseRoss
14th May 2007, 03:48 PM
I'd say he's just a very enthusiastic salesman who just wants to make the customer happy.

richbowen
14th May 2007, 03:48 PM
I thought there was some technological reason why Telstra had the inside running for the iPhone? NextG?

Hope the Optus story is correct. I'd rather not have to change my broadband and home phone from Optus to Telstra so that I can get the best deal on the iPhone.

the_OM
14th May 2007, 03:52 PM
I thought there was some technological reason why Telstra had the inside running for the iPhone? NextG?

Hope the Optus story is correct. I'd rather not have to change my broadband and home phone from Optus to Telstra so that I can get the best deal on the iPhone.

Telstra is the only provider of the EDGE network, which the iPhone uses for internet connectivity (correct me if I'm wrong here guys). But it's a 2.5G standard, whereas in Europe, and Australia now, 3G is all the rage, so it is sort of expected that the iPhone will have 3G components by the time it hit here early next year.

thebookfreak58
14th May 2007, 03:53 PM

From memory, the reason that everyone thought Telstra would get the iPhone, is that the iPhone supports EDGE (GSM), and Telstra is the only network that supports that. But the fact that a 3G version is coming out totally nulls that....

EDIT: Beaten!

mvjs
14th May 2007, 03:54 PM

Nope...the 1st Gen iPhone is GSM only, the lingua franca for Mobiles in Australia

atcdev
14th May 2007, 06:53 PM
Whilst Telstra may have the inside running from the point of view of network compatibility, I have read commentary that suggests they are not interested due to their 'competing' digital music service.

Personally I think Telstra is grossly overstating their position if they think they have any kind of competitor for iTunes.

velocite
14th May 2007, 06:57 PM
Telstra's position (as per usual) is thus

"I think people overreacted to it - there was not a lot of tremendously new stuff if you think about it," said Greg Winn to AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Telstra-plays-it-cool-on-iPhone/2007/02/15/1171405361731.html

iSlayer
14th May 2007, 06:58 PM
Whilst Telstra may have the inside running from the point of view of network compatibility, I have read commentary that suggests they are not interested due to their 'competing' digital music service.

Personally I think Telstra is grossly overstating their position if they think they have any kind of competitor for iTunes.

Yeah that makes sense. Telstra don't seem to like competition one bit(obviously) so it wouldnt surprise me if they ignore the iPhone for that reason

darksplat
14th May 2007, 07:05 PM
Guys
My uncle works for red rock ok which is a sub contractor of optus, he works on the network and is involved with technologies such as sms and mms, red rock was the company that allowed sms and mms to be sent to any network (in the olden days it was same network only). any how he is in pre mode for vvm and push email and other features coming from optus so yes telstra is bagging the iphone out because it is losing the race for it. Optus is at this stage the number one carrier or ther big nine
cheers
darksplat

entropy
14th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Guys
My uncle works for red rock ok which is a sub contractor of optus, he works on the network and is involved with technologies such as sms and mms, red rock was the company that allowed sms and mms to be sent to any network (in the olden days it was same network only). any how he is in pre mode for vvm and push email and other features coming from optus so yes telstra is bagging the iphone out because it is losing the race for it. Optus is at this stage the number one carrier or ther big nine
cheers
darksplat

so this guy is definitely working on visual voice mail for optus - exclusively?

darksplat
14th May 2007, 08:38 PM
Him and a team of 3 others

Johnny Appleseed
14th May 2007, 08:43 PM
I presume Apple holds the patent for visual voicemail...?

Evad
14th May 2007, 09:04 PM
interesting... that does add further explanation as to Telstra's ramming of the iPhone. They don't like losing much to Optus.

Dante Kyar
14th May 2007, 09:10 PM
Dont forget Optus is owned by Singtel, and mobiles in Singapore is big business, so hopefully that could have some sway over here in AUS..

chocho
14th May 2007, 09:15 PM
if i wanted to simply put my plain GSM sim card (optus) in the iphone, will it work?
all i want to do is have simple calling options!

cheers

Dante Kyar
14th May 2007, 09:31 PM
I dont think you can put in a sim card into the iphone. Apparently it has one in there, and the network carrier program it to work on their carrier alone with the plan you've chosen....

sort of like some pre-paid plans (ie. telecom $10 a month pre-paid in NZ)

Johnny Appleseed
14th May 2007, 09:34 PM
Also, Optus was previously an Apple reseller, so there's an existing relationship there (not that it means much if the infrastructure isn't available).

asphotos
14th May 2007, 09:37 PM
the optus network can support edge, but its only a bandaid. they have not enabled it (re paid for the license).

edge is a different form of gprs (its changes the way the timeslots are ordered) its clunky, slow and has a heap of latency, its only marginally faster than gprs in the real world, and given all operators now have a 3.6mbps 3G network (hsdpa 16qam) why would you invest in edge?

$x millions to purchase the feature for a handful of compatible handsets in a market dominated by 3G?

*telstra received egde software as part of the 850Mhz expansion/ericsson tender! :)

as for optus having an Iphone, i can only wish! :)

are red rock still in terry hills? :)

asphotos
14th May 2007, 09:39 PM
edge is enhanced data ONLY, all other GSM functions (and GPRS) are available.

so yes, with a sim card (and the device MUST have a sim card, if it follows the ETSI/GSM specifications (as the cypher, authentication and secure keys are done/live in the sim)..

it would work like any other phone

gprs data rates of around 44kbytes a sec.

(telstra edge in metro Australia is averaging around 58kbyes a sec in my testing).

darksplat
15th May 2007, 04:47 PM
I dont know where terry hills is but my uncle works out of melbourne

Kuma
15th May 2007, 05:12 PM
I presume Apple holds the patent for visual voicemail...?

I shouldnt think so.. I have had visual voicemail (a version of it) in Japan since 2001.. when I came here....

drewbles
15th May 2007, 05:19 PM
Guys
cheers
darksplat

Very interesting. Personally it would be great if they could get conference calling feature working on GSM. It worked on their AMPS service but they never bothered to get it functional on GSM. One of the most annoying things with them. It's also a GSM standard. Flick a switch and it works. I am under the impression that their billing system can't cope with it. Knowing a lot about their billing system it wouldn't surprise me :)

msilsby
15th May 2007, 06:13 PM
If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Vodafone with a 3G iPhone. Global reach, and the ability to roll out software and hardware upgrades to take advantage of the phone across a large number of markets. Also have the most mobile subscribers of any mobile company - across the worlds of courase.

Supposedly they have been in discussion with Apple, and are 'keen'.

Kuma
15th May 2007, 07:07 PM
If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Vodafone with a 3G iPhone. Global reach, and the ability to roll out software and hardware upgrades to take advantage of the phone across a large number of markets. Also have the most mobile subscribers of any mobile company - across the worlds of courase.

Supposedly they have been in discussion with Apple, and are 'keen'.

FWIW Im of the same opinion....

My total value of opinion on this subject is of course directly in proportion to the amount of time you took to read this post and your own hourly/worth.:p

Edge
15th May 2007, 07:30 PM
I dont think you can put in a sim card into the iphone. Apparently it has one in there, and the network carrier program it to work on their carrier alone with the plan you've chosen....
I'd be interested to know where this information comes from. Sounds made up to me.

tcn33
15th May 2007, 08:14 PM
It has a sim card slot, so this is wrong.

http://images.macrumors.com/gallery/mwsfkeynote_iphone1/photos/Img0075.JPG

9:53 am sim card
9:53 am top headset jack 3.5mm
9:53 am upper left top

asphotos
15th May 2007, 08:59 PM
vodafone and optus do share the same "core" 3G network.

my bet,

virgin mobile! :)

elie
28th June 2007, 03:14 PM
It is going to be on optus, I just saw a HUGE yellow and green ad online that said something about the "other telecoms" not wantiing us to see that the iphone is with optus.
So obviously its going to be on Optus.
Which makes me really glad actually :) Im with optus and really want the iphone...

Exocet
28th June 2007, 03:21 PM
Proof :P

tcn33
28th June 2007, 03:28 PM
As much as I want this to be true, I don't think it is.

silverdreamer
28th June 2007, 03:53 PM

To be fair Dude, choosing Telstra would not only suit more people,(Me for one!) but would also present Apple with the widest possible market potential. I have said it before. I can't see Apple reducing he sales potentail of the iphone by choosing to go with anyone but Telsra.

asphotos
28th June 2007, 04:06 PM
30 somehitng percent versus just over 40%?.

thats optus to telstra market share

optus also have more of the top 100 asx listed companies.

whats market share?

at&t wasnt the best in the usa, its going to get a shitload of people with this new phone..

nextG is sameG,

its 3G (or 3.5G with HSDPA) that 3, vodafone, optus also have, today!.

nextG is at 850mhz, the others at the european standard 2100Mhz.

a nextg iphone (may not) work in europe..

it prefer it to follow the european standards, 2100mhz/900Mhz. thats where the MARKET share in 3G is! :)

Exocet
28th June 2007, 04:09 PM
Yes, Telstra has an "in" with the current iPhone, as it has the only nation-wide EDGE network. Further to that the 3G implementation AT&T uses is the same as Telstra's NextG. I know I sound like a broken record but they are already making a phone suited to NextG. When Apple come to Australia they will look for a partner with the largest customer base and largest breadth of coverage, and best speed for the network. Further to this, Telstra uses the same Israeli-made messagebank platform that AT&T use. Implementing visual voicemail will be very easy.

I'm sorry, but that's Telstra regardless of your views on them.

nicwithsticks
28th June 2007, 04:20 PM
I never thought I'd say this - but I'd be OK if it was on Telstra. I'd happily switch carriers, providing that the plan is right.

asphotos
28th June 2007, 04:21 PM
is anyone actually using your "edge" network? :)

Disko
28th June 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry.

Yes, i think a little bit in all of us has died. :(

iSlayer
28th June 2007, 04:43 PM
Yes, Telstra has an "in" with the current iPhone, as it has the only nation-wide EDGE network. Further to that the 3G implementation AT&T uses is the same as Telstra's NextG. I know I sound like a broken record but they are already making a phone suited to NextG. When Apple come to Australia they will look for a partner with the largest customer base and largest breadth of coverage, and best speed for the network. Further to this, Telstra uses the same Israeli-made messagebank platform that AT&T use. Implementing visual voicemail will be very easy.

I'd still be surprised if thats what they go with. The 3g version will be primarily for europe not australia so logic says they will use the european 3g stuff not the one telstra uses. I seriously doubt we would get an australian only version

Exocet
28th June 2007, 04:47 PM
is anyone actually using your "edge" network? :)

Uh yes? Anybody on Telstra with an EDGE-capable phone uses it - nearly all Blackberry subscribers, a majority of Nokia users (most Nokia handsets post-2005 have EDGE support), most non-3G PDA handsets. Would you like me to go on?

EDGE is no more expensive for customers to use than GPRS, and the activation is transparent to the user. In fact, the when the switch for EDGE was flicked the only indicator to customers was that their device showed an E(DGE) rather than a G(PRS) on the screen.

I'd still be surprised if thats what they go with. The 3g version will be primarily for europe not australia so logic says they will use the european 3g stuff not the one telstra uses. I seriously doubt we would get an australian only version
We wouldn't be getting an Australian-only version, we would be getting the same 3G version that AT&T will use. 3G is taking off in the US in a big way - look at Something Awful or Howard Forums, the first question people ask when a new phone is announce "Where's the 3G support?".

I've got an insider's perspective on mobile technologies and regardless of your feelings on Telstra you have to look at the facts.

mechcon
28th June 2007, 05:01 PM
comment removed due to being in wrong post.

iSlayer
28th June 2007, 05:04 PM
We wouldn't be getting an Australian-only version, we would be getting the same 3G version that AT&T will use.

Well apple haven't even said they are doing a 3g version for the US as far as i know. They have said they are doing 3g for europe.

Shere Khaan
28th June 2007, 05:09 PM
Well apple haven't even said they are doing a 3g version for the US as far as i know. They have said they are doing 3g for europe.

I am looking for the quote but yes, they said they were working on a 3G version for the US that would work on AT&T's 850mhz network. Which as has been previously mentioned is the same as Telstra's NextG network.

mvjs
28th June 2007, 05:10 PM

Actually, they said they're doing a 3G version for Asia, ah la Australia

iSlayer
28th June 2007, 05:14 PM
Actually, they said they're doing a 3G version for Asia, ah la Australia

They have said 3g for both asia and europe although the first european version may not be 3g according to most reports.
The rumored date for the european 3g version is early 2008 which is roughly the same time we are supposed to get the iphone.

tcn33
28th June 2007, 06:15 PM

I'm sorry, but that's Telstra regardless of your views on them.
I'm just going to start linking to past (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=303434&postcount=38) rebuttals (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=294805&highlight=european#post294805) of this rather than retyping it every time.

Exocet
28th June 2007, 06:29 PM
I'm just going to start linking to past (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=303434&postcount=38) rebuttals (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=294805&highlight=european#post294805) of this rather than retyping it every time.
Your rebuttals don't actually point any evidence towards either Optus or Vodafone as a competing carrier, just that the option is there. Telstra has coverage, customer base, speed, and easy implementation of visual voicemail. Your 'rebuttals' amount to nothing more than "NUH-UH, IT COULD BE ANY OF THEM, THEY'VE ALL GOT 2100MHz!!!!!"

tcn33
28th June 2007, 09:19 PM
Your rebuttals don't actually point any evidence towards either Optus or Vodafone as a competing carrier, just that the option is there. Telstra has coverage, customer base, speed, and easy implementation of visual voicemail. Your 'rebuttals' amount to nothing more than "NUH-UH, IT COULD BE ANY OF THEM, THEY'VE ALL GOT 2100MHz!!!!!"
Whereas your posts don't actually point any evidence towards Telstra as the iPhone carrier, just that the option is there. Vodafone and Optus have coverage, customer base, speed, and a demonstrated willingness to work with other companies, in direct contrast with Phil and Sol's "our way or the highway" philosophy. Your 'posts' amount to nothing more than "OMG TELSTRA GOTS EDGE WTFBBQ!!!!!"

MrJesseRoss
28th June 2007, 09:29 PM
I can't believe nobody thinks that they'll go with Dodo! I mean, come on! They have Tara Reid, for Godsake! How could Apple not partner with Dodo??

iSlayer
29th June 2007, 02:11 AM
I can't believe nobody thinks that they'll go with Dodo! I mean, come on! They have Tara Reid, for Godsake! How could Apple not partner with Dodo??

I'd sign up with dodo before telstra ;)

elie
29th June 2007, 09:32 PM
Have a look at this article from the Sydney Morning Herald: http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/telstra-to-apple-stick-to-your-knitting/2007/02/15/1171405363291.html
It doesn't look like telstra likes the i-phone...

silverdreamer
29th June 2007, 10:32 PM
Have a look at this article from the Sydney Morning Herald: http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/telstra-to-apple-stick-to-your-knitting/2007/02/15/1171405363291.html
It doesn't look like telstra likes the i-phone...

Thats an old,old Article, more crap than substance. The guy Quoted is talking out of his Butt!

There is not one mobile phone company in the country who would not "WANT" the iphone.IMO:)

bawpcwpn
30th June 2007, 09:55 AM
Well I think that Australia will get a 3G iphone, like Europe, as WiFi isn't as big here as it is in the US and Apple is counting on people being in WiFi areas with their iphones for browsing the net as for speeds. But because WiFi isn't around as much in Australia, people will be relying on the EDGE/3G part much more, so going with 3G enables faster speeds, trying to making up for the lack of WiFi.

OziMac
30th June 2007, 10:21 AM
I got one. 8GB :D

Working on activation as we speak. :)

bel.plews
30th June 2007, 10:49 AM

one word ... DROOL!

lavo
30th June 2007, 11:25 AM
Congrats Ozi!

The real kicker for Telstra will be if they are going to work with Apple and iTunes integration. Every iPhone has to be activated in iTunes, which will also be the trojan horse for the iTunes Store. Are Telstra willing to take that on, considering their own online movie and music business?

mechcon
30th June 2007, 11:37 AM

Photos? :)

toholio
30th June 2007, 11:41 AM
The real kicker for Telstra will be if they are going to work with Apple and iTunes integration. Every iPhone has to be activated in iTunes, which will also be the trojan horse for the iTunes Store. Are Telstra willing to take that on, considering their own online movie and music business?

I don't think they'll have much choice in the matter. Whoever gets the iPhone is going to have to play by Apple's rules. Given the hysteria over the IPhone in the US I'd imagine one of the big carriers will yield.

If none of the carriers wants to play ball it wouldn't surprise me if Apple just sold the phone unlocked with people at Applecenters helping you stick n your existing usim. Sure we'd lose a few things like visual voicemail but not letting the carriers have their way would be a very Apple thing to do.

tempestas
30th June 2007, 12:17 PM

Double drool - *looks for drool smiley that Disko used to have....:eek:

The SMH is touting for any Aussie with one, you could be famous-er

We all eagerly await your comments.

OziMac
30th June 2007, 12:21 PM
Have no desire to contribute to SMH's fame whoring, but I will upload photos as soon as I can.

Might not be able to keep going on with activation until tomorrow morning though, it's quite late already.

[EDIT] My flight was delayed, so I didn't get to the store in Smith Haven Mall, NY until 8.00pm. The stands for the queue were still there, but there was no queue, so I didn't bother taking shots in the store. There was a table set up with heaps of iPhone displays all round, and there were plenty of free demo models to have a play with. Plenty of people in the store looking at non-iPhone Apple products. Lots and lots of stock though, and no particular hordes at the checkout - they must have finished with all that just after 6pm.

So the stock is there, it's just the activation that some are having problems with at the moment.

gbuikstra
30th June 2007, 12:37 PM
Congratulations Ozimac on you purchase.

It's interesting that the crowds have already subsided. I thought it would be packed for hours.

Would like to find out how many sold in the first few hours.

Just saw this on engadget. 3G version to be released Monday!!! I wonder if they would anounce it so soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/29/3g-iphone-for-europe-to-be-announced-monday/

OziMac
30th June 2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I'm watching this stuff about the 3G version unfolding very closely. Will be interested to see what happens.

Anyway, I'm calling it a night - will probably head to AT&T tomorrow to try and work out a way to get one of my rellies to activate it and then see what happens from there.

There are heaps of iPhone photos around the interweb obviously, but nevertheless, here are mine. As you can see, I haven't got very far yet :)

mvjs
30th June 2007, 01:20 PM
3G version to be released Monday!!!

See the question mark after the title "3G iPhone for Europe to be announced Monday"?

lavo
30th June 2007, 01:20 PM
Geez, it does look nice :-)

You might have to do global roaming with AT&T when you come back home Ozi!

iSlayer
30th June 2007, 01:25 PM
i hate you right now OziMac :p

DJY
30th June 2007, 03:48 PM
You might have to do global roaming with AT&T when you come back home Ozi!

I will be watching this with great interest...
global roaming on an AT&T phone in AUST... would be interesting to see if there are extra costs involved, and how much it equates to (cost/30 sec).

Also can't wait to see if someone manages to get another SIM in one working...
or if you pay out (early cancellation I think I read somewhere was USD$175)... will it then work on other networks?!?!?!

I for one am thinking it that is the case... create an American iTunes account...
pony up to AT&T... then cancel (pay the $175 cancellation fee) then try using an AUST SIM card?

Can't wait to watch if it is possible to use internationally on a local SIM card!

gbuikstra
18th July 2007, 05:01 PM
There have been some TV adds from Optus introducing a high speed WIFI network called OPEL.

I was wondering if this type of network would be compatible with the iPhone. If it is wouldn't it be a better solution than a 3G version of the phone for the Australian version.

Any thoughts.

entropy
18th July 2007, 05:04 PM
Opel is wimax. Would be better than 3G, but not available country wide until 2009

walexx
9th September 2007, 07:22 AM
Ok, im probs gonna get introuble for stating yet another iPhone thread, but I couldnt help this one. Check it out, a supposed leaked ad for the 3G iPhone http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/08/leaked-german-t-mobile-3g-iphone-ad/ . Dunno if its real or not, but still makes very intersting reading and speculation. Makes sense for the price drop and is a better match for the european launch as edge just wont cut it over there. MInd you there has been no FCC filing as we would all know about it, so yeah, finger crossed its real.

Alec Fraser
9th September 2007, 07:24 AM
That's why I posted it in the "iPod touch or do i wait fro iPhone?" thread :P

walexx
9th September 2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah I just saw that oooops hehehehee.

Alec Fraser
9th September 2007, 07:35 AM
It was the natural follow up to my 3G 16Gig iPhone CONFIRMED comment ;)

decryption
9th September 2007, 07:36 AM
As soon as this is out, I'll be touch with my family in Europe to send one over ASAP :D

iSlave
9th September 2007, 07:44 AM
As soon as this is out, I'll be touch with my family in Europe to send one over ASAP :D

You're a one man target market. :)

walexx
9th September 2007, 07:52 AM
if its true, ill have to offload my iPhone and get the update. Will a U.S. 3G version work here, or are networks more with the Euro networks ??. I only ask this cause I know although 3G there are different frequencies used.

Im not really up on all of this. Its easier for me to get a phone from the US. so id like to use that option, but if not, Ill have to find a source in the UK to get one for me.

scruffie
9th September 2007, 07:55 AM

After listening to your podcasts, it scares me that you are such a comsumer whore :)

Edit:

PS I claim dibs on your iPod Touch!!!

decryption
9th September 2007, 08:01 AM
After listening to your podcasts, it scares me that you are such a comsumer whore :)

Edit:

PS I claim dibs on your iPod Touch!!!

I just really enjoy using good tech gear and Apple happens to make lots of it :D

DJY
9th September 2007, 09:29 AM
This is one rumour I'm keen to track...
3G with both UMTS and HSDPA (or whatever the acronyms are)...
HSDPA = NextG potentially if there is the 850 spectrum.

A couple of articles I've read refer to both the European UMTS and the US HSDPA... which given the AT&T 5 yr deal I'm hoping means 850 HSDPA so at least if Apple don't have to change anything - there is a chance we will get this here sooner!!!

That's of course assuming Hellstra don't do their usual tricks.

iSlayer
9th September 2007, 09:40 AM
Nothing surprising there really. Europe will get 3g at some point (i doubt US will).
I think its just a matter of when not if.

mechcon
9th September 2007, 12:18 PM
(From http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/09/08/t.mobile.germany.ad/)

Apple may launch its iPhone campaign in Europe with a 3G-capable iPhone with enhanced storage, according to what appears to be a leaked ad from T-Mobile Germany. The ad promises a version of the handset with support for 3G-level cellular Internet access using both the US-friendly HSDPA format and typically Europe-only UMTS, with theoretical download speeds reaching the format's full 3.6Mbps. It also suggests that the device will carry 16GB of memory, representing the first storage upgrade to the device since its launch in June. Visual Voicemail and the 2-megapixel camera would remain the same as for the US version.
The ad includes an error which references the device in one instance as an iPod, but otherwise appears to be consistent with T-Mobile's advertising and may reflect a desire to return to two-tier pricing for the iPhone after the drop to $399 for the 8GB model, if proven accurate. The 3G iPhone would sell for 499 Euros ($687) including a coupon for the iTunes Store, and would be available with phone plans that all offer unlimited data and vary only in terms of general calling minutes and SMS messages. An "L" plan would offer 200 minutes and 100 messages for 50 Euros ($69) per month; "XL" and "XXL" plans would jump to 300 and 400 minutes respectively for 60 Euros ($83) and 70 Euros ($96) per month with 150 and 200 messages each.

The provider itself hasn't officially confirmed its selection as Germany's exclusive carrier but has already been caught preparing support materials for the iPhone, in one case hosting images for the product on its own website.

T-Mobile's reported ad would also be the first to commit to a definitive release date for the iPhone outside of the US, slating the handset for a release with the carrier on November 12th. Apple has already promised a fourth-quarter release for the iPhone in Europe but has yet to formally announce a timetable for the launch. The California firm is expected to accompany the German introduction with an O2 version in the UK and an Orange version for France.

http://images.macnn.com/esta/content/0709/iphone-t-mobileadlg.jpg

entropy
9th September 2007, 01:07 PM
I am sure either a 16 Gb or a 3G iphone is soon to emerge, the main reason for the US$200 price drop. Not sure if the ad is for real though.

PS. Islave, while I find your avatar alluring, but if I was at work it might get labelled as not work safe and get me in trouble.

iSlave
9th September 2007, 01:10 PM
I am sure either a 16 Gb or a 3G iphone is soon to emerge, the main reason for the US$200 price drop. Not sure if the ad is for real though.

PS. Islave, while I find your avatar alluring, but if I was at work it might get labelled as not work safe and get me in trouble.

Good Point entropy. I'll change it. :thumbup:

EDIT: Done.

Edge
9th September 2007, 01:35 PM
Fake.

mechcon
9th September 2007, 03:33 PM
Fake? why?

walexx
9th September 2007, 03:55 PM
A lot of things lately considered fake have actually come true. The nano photos that came up last week were all said to be fake by so called experts, and they were true. I think the line between fake and real is getting smaller. The so called fake stuff, now just seem to be variants of the true items, if not the real thing.

Im not as sceptical as I used to be. The only thing that concerns me about this ad is the terminogy of 'Apple iPod 16G' at the middle of the ad, and then again as a feature. You would think they would just say 'iPod' once. Then again I cant speak German, so I dont really know what im talking about :).

Lets hope its real. Atleast then we dont have to worry about what SIM we can can and cant use, we just have to keep our fingers crossed that its not SIM Locked, and if it is, that some bright spark out there has an unlocking solution that is going to take more than 3-4 weeks or teasing online, before it sees the light of day...... Uhmmmmm freesimunlock, or whoever you guys now are, or anyone else....... we are still waiting ???

Edge
9th September 2007, 05:16 PM
There is absolutely no way that is real, IMO. Calling it an iPod for a start. That shit would never make it to print. And did 3G chips suddenly become smaller and less power-hungry in 4 months? Plus the whole layout is amateurish at best. I don't believe this is real.

ford.boy
9th September 2007, 05:17 PM
A lot of things lately considered fake have actually come true. The nano photos that came up last week were all said to be fake by so called experts, and they were true. I think the line between fake and real is getting smaller. The so called fake stuff, now just seem to be variants of the true items, if not the real thing.

They were, they were terrible 3d renders with roughly the same proportions.

TLCAUS
17th September 2007, 06:03 PM
Hey guys, i am not sure if this has been posted before or not? I just stumbled across it a few minutes ago.

http://www.smartofficenews.com.au/Communication/T8S3S9C7

OziMac
17th September 2007, 06:15 PM
TLC - it's a bit of a non-story before the official launch of the European iPhone, since the Australian iPhone is nowhere near the radar yet, so I've merged it with this thread.

Unlike the Europeans, we're more than likely to get the 3G iPhone first up - because we won't get it at all until mid-late next year I think.

If Vodafone is out due to its parent's hostility, that leaves Telstra, Optus/Virgin and 3. If it's 3G, there's no reason to prefer one or the other (Next G is meaningless if the iPhone can't use it). For historical reasons, I would think they'd go with Optus rather than Telstra, but like with the European companies, it's an open game to the end. Hutchinson/3's model of branding phones doesn't seem to be compatible with Apple's desire for control over their devices, so I'd wager that's a pretty far chance too. :)

TLCAUS
17th September 2007, 06:17 PM
No problem, Ozi, i new somebody would put in the right forum page

mechcon
17th September 2007, 07:34 PM
that's still interesting nevertheless!

DJY
17th September 2007, 07:41 PM
If Vodafone is out due to its parent's hostility, that leaves Telstra, Optus/Virgin and 3. If it's 3G, there's no reason to prefer one or the other (Next G is meaningless if the iPhone can't use it). For historical reasons, I would think they'd go with Optus rather than Telstra, but like with the European companies, it's an open game to the end. Hutchinson/3's model of branding phones doesn't seem to be compatible with Apple's desire for control over their devices, so I'd wager that's a pretty far chance too. :)

Isn't it true that AT&T are also rolling out a 3.5G network on 850 bandwidth?

850 is NextG - so if AT&T have an exclusive multi year deal in America (I heard 5 yrs) then if Apple come out with a 3G version it will be for them eventually too... which means we might get a tri band 3G or at least a dual band 3G phone? 850 / 2100?

If Telstra wanted to they could actively encourage Apple - as having the largest national 3G network now that just so happens to be the same frequency as their bed partners AT&T?

OziMac
17th September 2007, 07:44 PM
Sure, anything's possible - question is, would Telstra provide unlimited data access for a comparable price to what AT&T offers?

iRyan21
17th September 2007, 08:07 PM
Sure, anything's possible - question is, would Telstra provide unlimited data access for a comparable price to what AT&T offers?

I think they would, my friend has a hiptop 3 on a $30 a month plan, which includes unlimited (http://www.telstra.com.au/hiptop/getitnow.htm) -Instant Messaging
- Web browsing
- Email
- Standard text messaging (SMS) in Australia
- Standard picture messaging (MMS) in Australia

I'm sure they would do the same thing if they got the iPhone

DJY
17th September 2007, 08:07 PM

LOL
Now your just being funny!
Or irrational?

Telstra only look after their high end business customers...
and provide unlimited data options for blackberries for example - and much better call charges...
for Joe Bloggs consumer - they are happy to exploit!

Alec Fraser
17th September 2007, 08:12 PM
My prediction: 3G iPhone with lower res camera on the front at the top right. Video calls on the 3G network, iChat with video conferencing in portrait or landscape mode on Wifi only.

grorr76
18th September 2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/17/3g.gps.iphone.due.in.2008/

decryption
18th September 2007, 08:11 AM
If that article is correct (might be, might not be) - then I think I can get myself an iPod touch and hold out for some 3G & GPS iPhone lovin'

mechcon
18th September 2007, 08:28 AM
Just as well that I didn't bother with getting an ipod touch then :D 3G iphone w/ gps, HERE YOU COME!

grorr76
18th September 2007, 08:28 AM
iphone with gps would be a crazy cool device. i still reckon australia will get 3g i think they'd struggle to get a carrier without 3g as witnessed by telstras comments on the iphone just after release.

conufsed
18th September 2007, 08:51 AM
Although it limits us to Tel$tra I really hope the 3G version is HSDPA, as the data features are really likely to be useful to me visiting my folds, or my wifes who are both in the sticks

mechcon
18th September 2007, 09:01 AM
how does it just limit us to telstra? it could technically work on any carrier (if it isn't hsdpa that is.. )

decryption
18th September 2007, 09:03 AM
Telstra have HSDPA - it just runs ont he 850mhz frequency. Most 3G radios are dual band 2100MHz (everyone else) and 850Mhz (Telstra/USA =AT&T).

So if Apple make it 3G, chances are the radio will support both bands, for distribution in the US and the rest of the world.

OziMac
18th September 2007, 09:04 AM
It's from an analyst's report.

While it's still likely there'll be a 3G iPhone next year (GPS or not), this isn't really confirmation.

conufsed
18th September 2007, 09:10 AM
Telstra have HSDPA - it just runs ont he 850mhz frequency. Most 3G radios are dual band 2100MHz (everyone else) and 850Mhz (Telstra/USA =AT&T).

So if Apple make it 3G, chances are the radio will support both bands, for distribution in the US and the rest of the world.

Actually I hope this will be the case so people here can also choose, but of course it will be locked to one network here.

decryption
18th September 2007, 09:15 AM
Actually I hope this will be the case so people here can also choose, but of course it will be locked to one network here.

Then you simply unlock the phone and voila, you can use it on whatever 3G network you like :)

thorevenge
18th September 2007, 10:44 AM
I was under the impression the deal between Apple and AT&T was that Apple cannot release an American version of the iPhone thats 3G until the end of their agreement?

In which case the AU iPhone wouldn't need to be HSPDA compliant to fit in with AT&T but only 3G to allow for a multitude of carriers. Then again, it doesn't seem Apple is into supporting multiple carriers in one country so my guess is that it would just need to support one carrier, most likely Telstra.

mechcon
18th September 2007, 10:56 AM
all I see here is Telstra this and Telstra that, FYI folks, Three is also on HSDPA too.

mac_man_luke
18th September 2007, 11:01 AM
3 run HSPDA on there 2100MHz network

tcn33
18th September 2007, 11:02 AM
all I see here is Telstra this and Telstra that, FYI folks, Three is also on HSDPA too.So are Vodafone and Optus, for that matter.

mechcon
18th September 2007, 11:10 AM
They are? hot damn! :)

Sambo
18th September 2007, 11:40 AM
Mmm if this does come out I will be finding it hard to choose between touch or 3g iphone. Providing it's easy to unlock.

mechcon
18th September 2007, 11:50 AM
3g iphone, you know you do...

fuck the ipod touch (sorry to those who preordered/wanting to get it) :)

Exocet
18th September 2007, 01:20 PM
The reason people say Testra this and Telstra that is because they've actually got a decent national implementation of HSDPA, not a piddly little inner-CBD-only implementtion.

toholio
18th September 2007, 01:29 PM
... I think I can get myself an iPod touch and hold out for some 3G & GPS iPhone lovin'

That's my new plan. I've ordered an iPod Touch and will now wait for the iPhone. I just wish Apple hadn't decided to rip out the ability to add calendar entries! I can live without e-mail and notes but being able to check my appointments without adding new ones will get old fast.

Co-worker: "Hey, are you free monday afternoon?"
Me: *touching away* "Yes, after three."
Co-worker: Shall we meet then?"
Me: *sighs* "Let me pull out my File-O-Fax and find a pencil."

Can't see how holding out on calendar entry is anything other than bad publicity for Apple. I'm hoping I can get decent Google Calendar and iCal synchronisation working because otherwise the iPod Touch is going to end up looking silly when I use it in front of people.

mac_man_luke
18th September 2007, 02:09 PM
Im sure it wont be long after release someone will have an easy method to get it back

i know a lot of the iphone apps can just be copied across

Edge
18th September 2007, 03:18 PM
The reason people say Testra this and Telstra that is because they've actually got a decent national implementation of HSDPA, not a piddly little inner-CBD-only implementtion.
Although Exocet may be a touch biased, this is quite true. Also, being at 850MHz means that reception is better than 2100MHZ, almost without exception. The lower frequency penetrates buildings much better, which in part is why the frequencies in the upcoming spectrum auctions in the US are so desirable.

That's my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong. If Telstra were to offer a decent data plan, I'd be all over it like the proverbial larger person and the small, baked treat with icing, in a little paper holder.

Exocet
18th September 2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not biased at all. Yes I work for them, but that its not the source of my praise for the network. I praise Telstra's network, not their pricing. Pricing is an issue for me, so when I go to wireless broadband I'll likely be choosing the 3-mobile broadband package. I've said it before and I'll say it again - whatever carrier gets the iPhone, Apple will force them to operate an unlimited data plan, be it Telstra, Optus, Voda or 3.

OziMac
18th September 2007, 04:32 PM
Yep, right on Exocet - I suspect that'll be reinforced by whatever deals they're announcing in the next hour.

And as you say, pricing will also be a significant issue - people seem to consider the AT&T package reasonably priced for what it includes (particularly the data plan) so the final operator will have to be flexible enough to offer competitive prices to consumers, and generous enough to shell out up to 40% of revenue (if that's to be believed) back to Apple.

redgsr
18th September 2007, 06:20 PM
Bah - no 3g till late next year!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/live-from-apples-mum-is-no-longer-the-word-event-in-london/3#comments

Beaner
18th September 2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah we all saw that coming. As if they would launch a better product just for europe. It will still sell like hotcakes.

entropy
18th September 2007, 07:17 PM
Surely Jobs will announce 3G at macworld, just prior to its posting at the FCC, to be released 12 weeks later (ie after the Christmas sales are over)

Beaner
18th September 2007, 08:22 PM
He said today "Not until later next year" so that pretty much rules our MWSF

seaQuest_AMD
18th September 2007, 08:36 PM
Late 2008 - Early 2009, no 3G folks, which means, Telstra is the only provider with EDGE in Australia, so we know what carrier, but what we need to find out is WHEN!.

mechcon
18th September 2007, 08:58 PM
So here's hoping the talks die down about the iphone in australia, and we can ignore all the iphone rage/craze, and move on with our lives *shakes fist at apple and walks off into the sunset*

toholio
19th September 2007, 11:16 AM
It's starting look like it isn't worth waiting for the iPhone to arrive rather than importing.

From smarthouse.com.au (http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/C7L8Q9S5):

The Apple iPhone will not be released in Australia for at least another 14 months Apple executives in London have admitted

Hopefully it's just a case of Apple UK not knowing what Apple AU is doing but it's still worrying.

Oh well, time to develop a fetish for some other gadget. :p

grorr76
19th September 2007, 11:21 AM
by then the iphone will be old hat, there will be cheaper faster, more affordable alternatives on the market. the iphone will get a major run for its money here as far as competition goes, its all very well having the ipod market but there are bigger and more well establishes makers who who majority subsidize there phone will be interesting, thats for sure.

decryption
19th September 2007, 11:23 AM
OUCH
November 2008? They can't be serious can they?

iSlayer
19th September 2007, 11:23 AM
I dont buy it. Apple would almost certainly never say anything about what they plan to do in the future.

areal
19th September 2007, 11:25 AM
That wouldn't surprise me. They are rolling this thing out pretty slowly, and they have a number of other larger and much more important countries to go before they get to Australia: France, Germany, and Japan for example. A few months between each and you could easily see a launch here late next year.

jeremy_warnock
19th September 2007, 11:34 AM
whats an iphone?

;-)

The Fluffy Duck
19th September 2007, 11:34 AM
Nov 08 right about when my phone contract runs out. marvelous :)

NORMANDY
19th September 2007, 11:35 AM
I dont buy it. Apple would almost certainly never say anything about what they plan to do in the future.

I do, as negations with telcos here here have indicated they only want a 3G iphone (no 2.5 G Wi FI EDGE compromise effort that is currently available). That wont happen till later 2008 when 3G chip sets become more energy efficient (as said by Steve Jobs today), so Australia wont see an iphone till this time next year. Id even put money on it !

iSlayer
19th September 2007, 11:42 AM
I do, as negations with telcos here here have indicated they only want a 3G iphone (no 2.5 G Wi FI EDGE compromise effort that is currently available). That wont happen till later 2008 when 3G chip sets become more energy efficient (as said by Steve Jobs today), so Australia wont see an iphone till this time next year. Id even put money on it !

not saying i dont buy the date. I dont buy the fact they claim Apple Executives have admitted it

forgie
19th September 2007, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know which chip-maker is actually going to have lower power chipsets by next year? Or is the release date simply being echoed by SJs hints?

Linux_insidev2
19th September 2007, 11:49 AM
If it is after october 31st I'll be cheering (if it's a 3G model not on telstra) because my optus contract expires in october next year

Phormic
19th September 2007, 11:59 AM
I spoke to an employee of Apple Australia who assured me it was due for the first third of 2008.

tcn33
19th September 2007, 12:01 PM
The fact that there is no quote in the article, nor any kind of attribution other than the first sentence:

The Apple iPhone will not be released in Australia for at least another 14 months Apple executives in London have admitted, and when it does it will not be a 3G phone as was first tipped unless battery life for talk time is improved.makes the whole thing highly dubious IMHO. Who? What Apple executives? Where's a quote?

No "speaking off the record...", no "a highly-placed insider...", not even a "sources indicate" - just a flat assertion with no substantiation whatsoever. I call shenanigans.

zillatron
19th September 2007, 12:12 PM
Is anyone else concerned that no matter when it does come out - they seem to be setting a trend of going with the 'biggest' and 'most popular' telcos?

In Australia i suspect that Telstra is the 'biggest' although i have my doubts about 'most popular'. I'd bet the public here would have a hard time believing that Telstra is 'most popular'...even if it comes right from SJ's mouth.

Scary.

Here's hoping Phormic is right and we get it first third 08...maybe 'the Jobsanator' will make a stop over on the way back from Europe? :D

Z

decryption
19th September 2007, 12:22 PM
Is anyone else concerned that no matter when it does come out - they seem to be setting a trend of going with the 'biggest' and 'most popular' telcos?

In Australia i suspect that Telstra is the 'biggest' although i have my doubts about 'most popular'. I'd bet the public here would have a hard time believing that Telstra is 'most popular'...even if it comes right from SJ's mouth.

Scary.

Here's hoping Phormic is right and we get it first third 08...maybe 'the Jobsanator' will make a stop over on the way back from Europe? :D

Z

Well if a 3G iPhone does eventuate by the time it hits Australia, Telstra are in the best spot to have it, as their 3G network is far and beyond the one with largest coverage. If they can package it with an unlimited data plan like in the UK and USA for say, $80/month (including calls) - I'd definietly go to Telstra for that.

If Apple end up using an 850MHz radio with no 2100MHz capailities, we're stuck with Telstra no matter what :p

Quamen
19th September 2007, 12:36 PM
Well if a 3G iPhone does eventuate by the time it hits Australia, Telstra are in the best spot to have it, as their 3G network is far and beyond the one with largest coverage. If they can package it with an unlimited data plan like in the UK and USA for say, $80/month (including calls) - I'd definietly go to Telstra for that.

Add to that they could similarly allow all iPhones onto Telstra CBD wireless connections like the UK deal and you have a pretty good looking package.

Lots of ifs though.

Exocet
19th September 2007, 12:48 PM
Nov 08 right about when my phone contract runs out. marvelous :)
Mine is in October '08, works out perfectly for me!

Add to that they could similarly allow all iPhones onto Telstra CBD wireless connections like the UK deal and you have a pretty good looking package.

Lots of ifs though.
Telstra have done this before with Nintendo giving free wifi for DS owners.

bennettnz
19th September 2007, 01:05 PM
I have had several 3g phones and I don't even notice the battery especially as one of them sat docked at my desk when I was at work. Battery life seems like a poor excuse to me?

OziMac
19th September 2007, 01:15 PM
Hold on a second there.

This is another bullshit non-story by Smarthouse.

There is nothing in the article other than the headline stating that Apple execs said there would be no iPhone in Australia by November 2008. There is no statement from any Apple executives about Australia at all (given they wouldn't discuss Germany or France in London, why the hell would they say anything at all about Australia?). Similarly, there is no statement that the iPhone that does arrive here next year won't be 3G.

This leads me to believe that the author's taken the comment about no 3G until late next year and extrapolated a whole new story to go behind it.

I'm not saying that the iPhone will or won't arrive before then, or whether it'll be 3G. But this is a typically manufactured piece by Smarthouse to attract readers, when really they don't know more than anybody else right now.

Shere Khaan
26th September 2007, 01:37 PM
I couldn't find this posted anywhere, but here is yet another rumour of a 3G iphone:

http://flopyamacout.com/2007/09/25/australian-iphone-deal-leaked-3g/

darksplat
11th November 2007, 12:42 PM

If Apple end up using an 850MHz radio with no 2100MHz capailities, we're stuck with Telstra no matter what :p

Well I can tell you optus 3g uses the wcdma protocol which is 900mhz which is a freq the iphone can use and plus optus will have 98% of the country covered by the end of 2008 as its wimaz towers will serve as both kinds of anteenas wimax and 3g. So telstra can go suck dog doo as if telstra would get the sole contract they cant by australian law both fed and state have a look on the whirlpool forums www.whirlpool.net.aucheersjunior

mechcon
11th November 2007, 12:54 PM
otherwise there's Three, with HSDPA :O

Shere Khaan
12th November 2007, 03:28 PM
Well I can tell you optus 3g uses the wcdma protocol which is 900mhz which is a freq the iphone can use and plus optus will have 98% of the country covered by the end of 2008 as its wimaz towers will serve as both kinds of anteenas wimax and 3g. So telstra can go suck dog doo as if telstra would get the sole contract they cant by australian law both fed and state have a look on the whirlpool forums www.whirlpool.net.aucheersjunior

You probably want to get your facts straight.

They actually claimed 96% of the Australian population which is very different. according to their press release on their website they are going to cover just under 8.5% of Australia by area.

Also others in Telstra may have a better idea on this, but the Next G network is not bound by the same onerous regulation which is why Telstra is investing so heavily in it.

tcn33
12th November 2007, 04:11 PM
You probably want to get your facts straight.
Not to mention the whole "australian law both fed and state". Nothing in any law at any level prohibits carrier exclusivity - there are giant ads all over town proclaiming the RAZR2 V9 is exclusive to Telstra.

Exocet
12th November 2007, 05:07 PM
WCDMA 900MHz is not the same as GSM 900MHz, the same way that WCDMA 850MHz (NextG/AT&T 3G) isn't the same as GSM 850MHz. Furthermore, they certainly can have an exclusive contract for a mobile handset, they do it all the time. There's no federal or state laws against mobile phone exclusivity, so I think you should check your facts :)

smallzy
16th November 2007, 12:24 AM
moved it - wrong thread!

mechcon
21st November 2007, 10:49 AM
Another rumor, about possibly that the 3G iPhone may well be coming out in May 2008

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19714

Woot is all I can say :)

kyte
28th November 2007, 04:39 AM
More rumours:
http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20071114-Apple-iPhone-heading-down-under-who-is-the-lucky-supplier.html

Seems Sol likes the phone (who wouldn't)...

But, of particular interest to me was the secondlast para where its states that Telstra's FoneZone has bought up Nextbyte and Frequency... this would seem to give some credence to the rumours that Telstra will do the Apple dance.

tcn33
28th November 2007, 06:10 AM
...Telstra's FoneZone...
FoneZone are a Telstra reseller, not a division or a subsidiary of Telstra, so this shouldn't be taken as a definite sign. Perhaps acquiring NextByte was just a gamble on their part, hoping that Telstra would get the iPhone, or perhaps it's entirely unrelated. Remember that it's only AT&T-owned and Apple Stores that sell the iPhone in the US, not AT&T resellers.

At the moment I'm optimistic that it won't be Telstra.

mechcon
28th November 2007, 06:41 AM
But ew, EDGE/GSM? So late in the development of the iPhone? I guess what I mean is that it's been out this long, everyone else is moving to 3G/HSDPA.. and I know Apple will too.. they just need to start.. Again who knows if they already are working on it? Only Apple knows :P

marc
28th November 2007, 08:07 AM
Again who knows if they already are working on it? Only Apple knows :P
I think that's a given. They're probably had 3G test models for at least 6 months.

scottgrot
28th November 2007, 07:42 PM
Any more on this topic? Optus? Telstra? Vodafone? 3? Crazy John? Dodo?

mechcon
28th November 2007, 07:54 PM
I'd love to have a discussion about it.. and any better hints/clues as to when it's coming out. Saw an ipod touch today, and WAS going to get one of them instead, but then thought "nar i need a new phone too".

mechcon
29th November 2007, 06:32 PM
well.. I couldn't stand it anymore;

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1267368&stqc=true

:P

I expect nothing out of it, but had to get it out of my system..

DJY
29th November 2007, 07:02 PM
I think that's a given. They're probably had 3G test models for at least 6 months.

I've read in a couple of places that Telstra was given 50 or so test iPhones...
but they'd be current model iPhones not 3G yet.

I'm still putting my hopes and money on Feb / Mar 08 with Telstra.
Current GSM iPhone.

Phormic
29th November 2007, 09:24 PM
I hear that Telstra's Sol Trujillo is in Cupertino.

Unfortunately, all signs are pointing to Telstra.

mechcon
29th November 2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/29/atandt-ceo-outs-3g-iphone-youll-have-it-next-year/ dun dun dunnnn! :P

I should add that I got to play with a mate's iPhone tonight. Fuck me it's an awesome handset!! I'll have to get used to being unable to transfer files via bluetooth, and multiple sms'ing (hello Skype). but yeah he was going to sell it to me for $500.. but thought "ahh the hassle of leaving 3 to go to a gsm carrier.. can't be arsed".

james the 2nd
1st December 2007, 11:35 AM
I hear that Telstra's Sol Trujillo is in Cupertino.

Unfortunately, all signs are pointing to Telstra.

Where's this info coming from?..

if true it definitely sounds like a sealer to me.

No point waiting for an anouncement during Xmas.. next year now.

mechcon
1st December 2007, 11:38 AM
wont be nextG though :\

james the 2nd
1st December 2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204300968

I reckon we can start looking at a pattern in apples timetable:

iphone updates middle of the year
ipod updates september

With the iphone being sooooo far ahead of everything else out there there's no reason not to milk gen1 before getting gen2 out into the market.

Which I can only guess at being:
3g, more capacity, better camera, slightly changed design.

Nope, no inside knowledge from me, just pure guess/speculation :-)

mechcon
1st December 2007, 12:12 PM
and bluetooth file transferring, also multiple sms'ing wouldn't bloody hurt!

SRG
1st December 2007, 07:03 PM
Seems AT&T have confirmed the 3g phone http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/29/att_chief_confirms_3g_iphone_on_the_way.html

Shane0
7th December 2007, 09:35 AM
Hey there all im interested in getting a Iphone, but im wanting to get it from the online store and not having to worry about warranty issues or software hacks. So i want one thats basically ready to use in Australia. So bottom line is when will the iphone come to australia ? Is it actually coming ????????

MrJesseRoss
7th December 2007, 09:40 AM
Yes it's coming.

No we don't know when.

Shane0
7th December 2007, 09:45 AM
Yes it's coming.

No we don't know when.

ok cool i dont wanna waste my time twiddling my thumbs for nothing :)

mechcon
7th December 2007, 09:47 AM
There's no hint or anything as to when it will arrive, so I'll have to waste my time :( unlike 98% of the macolytes here that went and bought an iphone expensively.. I'm waiting for mine to officially come out here.. because I won't rest well unless I had an iPhone with 2 years Applecare.

Disko
7th December 2007, 09:59 AM
New rumours have arisen today that a 3G iPhone will be released in June.

One would assume, that'd be one for Asia/Australia if it is indeed an accurate rumour.

PowerPC
7th December 2007, 10:06 AM
The closest hint from Apple was a vague mention of Asia pacific in late 2008. Given the usual delays, I wouldn't get excited until Macworld 2009.

Shane0
7th December 2007, 10:12 AM
it seems like we are being left in the lurch once again based on our country, some of the other countries its in, i believe has crappier technology then australia

mechcon
7th December 2007, 10:36 AM
which isn't really fair..

El Guardo
7th December 2007, 10:46 AM
You're assuming its delayed on Apple's part when, in fact, it might be more a product of the carriers haggling over revenue sharing or refusing to upgrade the EDGE network. After all, it's not like Telstra would bitch, moan and complain, and then refuse to play ball when it didn't get its way.

grorr76
7th December 2007, 10:50 AM
There's no hint or anything as to when it will arrive, so I'll have to waste my time :( unlike 98% of the macolytes here that went and bought an iphone expensively.. I'm waiting for mine to officially come out here.. because I won't rest well unless I had an iPhone with 2 years Applecare.

i didnt get one. Infact i wont pay out for one upfront and a 2 year contract. im looking at the new lg touch screen i love it and it doesnt have an ipod which i dont need. t has a very nifty 5mp camera with optical zoom and a damm nice user interface. three has the 18 dollars on a 29 dollar cap. Very affordable and its already out and has 3g, touch, full internet browser nice camera etc.

MrJesseRoss
7th December 2007, 11:08 AM
i didnt get one. Infact i wont pay out for one upfront and a 2 year contract. im looking at the new lg touch screen i love it and it doesnt have an ipod which i dont need. t has a very nifty 5mp camera with optical zoom and a damm nice user interface. three has the 18 dollars on a 29 dollar cap. Very affordable and its already out and has 3g, touch, full internet browser nice camera etc.

One of the guys at work got one of these a couple of days ago. It looks freaking awesome.

mechcon
7th December 2007, 11:18 AM
are you talking about the LG U990? I had a look at that one.. has it got WLAN?

andrew.wilson
7th December 2007, 02:10 PM
Merged these up to try and keep discussion in one place :)

mechcon
7th December 2007, 02:26 PM
I take it, that it is the U990? Looks good, but how well do LG phones sync w/ Macs in iSync?

dmw
9th December 2007, 03:29 PM
Was chatting to a telstra guy last night. He said Singtel has rejected the iphone because they are not interested in revenue sharing.

Confirmed telstra is very interested and wants to be the partner but at this stage they have not agreed on a rev share arrangement agreeable to both sides

djkai
13th December 2007, 09:41 AM
Nice article... http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/goldman-sachs-says-second-gen-iphone-is-in-final-design-phase/

mechcon
13th December 2007, 09:56 AM
exciting stuff..

tcn33
13th December 2007, 11:13 AM
Come on. Nobody who actually knows anything about the subject would even be allowed to discuss it.

SilverJ
5th January 2008, 07:25 PM
Hey all,

I read a few weeks ago an article 'Preview of 2008' which I am sure quite a few people have seen, but in case anyone hasn't seen it here is the link...

http://www.news.com.au/showbuzzgallery/0,26166,5014908-5027856-1,00.html

It claimed that the iPhone was most rumored to be released in Australia in Feb.
I was surprised to see that it was so soon, they also claimed that Optus and Telstra were currently the two top bidders for the iPhone... I am crossing my fingers that it is Optus but from everything that I have managed to find so far it seems pretty certain that Telstra will win, since they are already in in depth talks with Apple..

I hope when it comes out that it will be a 16gb version...
Perhaps Macworld will provide some answers..

I am doing my best to hold out till the official release of the iPhone in Aus, hopefully not too long now! :D

Anyone want to add their thoughts/news items that suggest when the iPhone will be released in Aus?

Cheers

Update!

Australia not to get iPhone any time soon, says Crazy John's (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23027164-5014109,00.html)

Not that I believe Crazy John's...

Update! Update!

Optus enters iPhone race (http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/optus-enters-iphone-race/2008/01/22/1200764226887.html)

A much more interesting article than the Crazy John's non-story that news.com.au

Thanks smh for posting something interesting.. :)

timothy
5th January 2008, 08:13 PM
i am hoping the iphone is released early this year, i would buy one for my wife!
she would let me play with it...

Johnny Appleseed
5th January 2008, 08:22 PM
There have been lots of rumours, ranging from Feb to Oct. The only ones who know for sure are deep inside Apple.

And I too have been trying to hold out. The iPod touch is mighty tempting, but it'd feel crippled without the phone/e-mail/camera/Google Maps etc.

Scratch
5th January 2008, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Im definitely holding off, i've also heard rumours of the release being when the big apple shop in Sydney opens, ive also heard June 29 ??? dont know why....

I think its in writing that it will be in 2008?

Kuma
5th January 2008, 08:29 PM
For me the touch has been the ultimate teaser device

you get use to been online with it.. and that just leaves you hanging when you have no wireless connectivity....

Im not expecting it in Japan before June...... just waiting waiting waiting...

NelsonX
5th January 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm looking forward to the January annoucement, and hopefully we'll hear of a release date for Australia.

My feeling is if the current iphone is released well head of the 3G version, there is likely to be a higher take-up rate(?), and on this basis I'm expecting a Feb/Mar release.

will
5th January 2008, 09:14 PM
Well I am hoping that there is a 3G version released in au soon!

I want one, I want one, I must have one!

Huy
5th January 2008, 09:29 PM
For some reason, I am expecting it towards the END of 2008, at least the second half.

:)

melbmac
5th January 2008, 10:57 PM
I want, no NEED one asap (my nokia is moving towards the grave, quickly)

choy
5th January 2008, 11:11 PM
May FTW. Most evidence points to a may release (from Macrumors, digitimes etc). Also makes sense as they will need the new low powered 3G chipsets in volume.

However, that doesn't rule out an announcement at macworld.

mvjs
5th January 2008, 11:14 PM
That doesn't rule out an announcement at macworld.

I highly doubt we'll see a 3G iPhone announcement at MacWorld unless it will ship immediately or soon after. This time they have a phone to cannibalise. Apple aren't going to announce the 3G iPhone until the absolutely must.

Andrew T Chadwick
5th January 2008, 11:15 PM
Can't come soon enough as i would get one on a plan.:p

Comet
5th January 2008, 11:45 PM
I highly doubt we'll see a 3G iPhone announcement at MacWorld unless it will ship immediately or soon after. This time they have a phone to cannibalise. Apple aren't going to announce the 3G iPhone until the absolutely must.

The iPod mini was doing just fine when they completely killed it off with the awesome nano. Apple definitely know when to take risks, and a 3G iPhone with new features or even a new look might be something we'll see.

DJY
5th January 2008, 11:46 PM
We won't get a 3G iPhone in Australia initially...
they get to double their sales if they introduce the current model... then later down to the road introduce a 3G version!

I've heard a couple of rumours that were hoping to have it out in March with Telstra...
but many have suggested they won't release it until the Sydney Apple store opening... which to the best of my knowledge there is no actual date for yet... best guesses there have been "mid year"... but then again - if they had council permission to close street access in Jan / Feb for structural work... maybe they will open relatively soon after that work is done?!??! Depends I guess to see if we get a glass staircase too?

Razer
5th January 2008, 11:54 PM
If it goes with Telstra it will pretty much have to be 3G. They've just spent heaps of cash on their Next G network. The Iphone would be the ultimate product to get people on the network. I couldn't imagine telstra selling people GSM phones, they hardly have any good models available at all.

mvjs
6th January 2008, 12:11 AM
The iPod mini was doing just fine when they completely killed it off with the awesome nano. Apple definitely know when to take risks, and a 3G iPhone with new features or even a new look might be something we'll see.

But Apple immediately discontinued the Mini in favour of the immediately shipping Nano. That's different to coming up at MWSF and saying "Hey, iPhone 3G is coming in September, look how cool and new it is." That means every iPhone sold between MacWorld and when the phone ships is obsolete and will really slow down sales. This exact thing happened during the Intel transition.

drzeus
6th January 2008, 06:05 AM

Yep totally agree. They would be insane to announce a 3G version and not have it shipping as it will eat up big time into their current 2G sales.

I also think that we either get a 1st quarter 2008 2G release here and a 3G version late 2008 or they skip the 2G here and wait till the 3G.

drzeus
6th January 2008, 06:09 AM
But Apple immediately discontinued the Mini in favour of the immediately shipping Nano. That's different to coming up at MWSF and saying "Hey, iPhone 3G is coming in September, look how cool and new it is." That means every iPhone sold between MacWorld and when the phone ships is obsolete and will really slow down sales. This exact thing happened during the Intel transition.

Things are very different in the mobile phone world. AT&T's network isn't even 3G ready yet and won't be until middle of the year. And considering the US market is still by far the largest for Apple, why would they release a 3G version NOW when the network won't even be ready until June??

I suspect they would also not release a 3G version overseas before the USA as it would seriously cause issues with people grey importing them into the US. Not to mention the angst it would cause for the all mighty US of A to be behind other countries with iPhone releases.

kyte
6th January 2008, 06:25 AM
I hope they bring it soon, and I dont care which one it is, but at least then we will get access to the accessories we have so long been denied. I am STILL waiting for my holster case thingy from expansys, 2 months since I ordered.

silverdreamer
6th January 2008, 07:02 AM
Wednesday April 9th 2008 at exactly 5 minutes past 2.:p

JohnDProctor
6th January 2008, 07:03 AM
I thought I would wait for 3G for data services but after getting a 3 HSDPA card for my MBP that requirement faded (and it will be cheaper than iPhone on Hel$tra). So when the opportunity arose, I picked up an iPhone ex NYC via a work mate who was over there, thanks Jason.

I am impressed, it is the first phone I've had that makes me want to surf the net. The phone works well with Hel$tra (I use a Hyper Card dual sim carrier). As far as data goes I think everyone who uses an Australian Mobile Carrier better have deep pockets! The only carrier that is semi-reasonable is 3. Recent data pricing plan changes are moving in the right direction but are still way too expensive. IMHO

boyhobbit
6th January 2008, 07:24 AM
My Opinion for what it is worth is "Don't Hold Your Breath"

Granted, Australia is a reasonable adopter of new technologies, especially Mobile Phones, but we are also one of the smallest markets in the world. Why bother launching a such a hot product here when there is the rest of Europe to roll out - All with much larger populations and mobile user bases than Australia?

I think we all may be reading a little too much into an "Early 2008 Asia Launch" by including Australia in that bundle of countries.

It took Apple a couple of years to launch the iTunes Store here...

This is just my opinion!

LarryH
6th January 2008, 08:46 AM
There will definitely be a 16GB iPhone at Macworld. I hope.

meinrosebud
6th January 2008, 09:53 AM
For some reason, I am expecting it towards the END of 2008, at least the second half.
:)

Because it usually ends up being pushed back to the end of the year lol.
I wish all the current hacked iPhone owners good luck, hopefully you can 'unhack' soon.

macsyd
6th January 2008, 12:01 PM
A source advises February 8th, Telstra. I don't necessarily believe them, but put it here for interests sake.

marc
6th January 2008, 12:34 PM
My predictions:

- 3G iPhone in the US July 29 2008.
- 3G iPhone in Aus July 29 2008, on Telstra.
- 3G iPhone in Europe July 29 2008.
- unlocked iPhone from the Apple online store as soon as the AT&T contract runs out.

Nothing in Aus beforehand.

Since when have Apple ever released a better product in another country before the US? And if the US isn't ready, then we'll get the 2G version, or nothing at all.

Edit: Changed to July 29... last tuesday in July :)

drzeus
6th January 2008, 02:17 PM
My predictions:

Nothing in Aus beforehand.

Since when have Apple ever released a better product in another country before the US? And if the US isn't ready, then we'll get the 2G version, or nothing at all.

I think you're spot on there. They either release the 3G version in multiple markets (including the US) or they release 2G in remaining markets first. There is no way a 3G version will come out elsewhere before the US.

What REALLY worries me is who picks up the phone here. So far everywhere it's been released, it has been bundled with excellent included data package.

If it's picked up by Te$tra (who has the money, marketing budget and coverage to push it so it's probably almost guaranteed to win the contract) then it will no doubt be crippled with rediculous download allowance something which makes the iphone half as usefull (let's face it, not much point having it if it's too expensive to operate).

My prediction? People will end up hacking it here upon release and trying to use it on alternative providers who will smartly offer plans to lure people away from Telstra.

marc
6th January 2008, 03:20 PM
My prediction? People will end up hacking it here upon release and trying to use it on alternative providers who will smartly offer plans to lure people away from Telstra.
Works for me.

Let's hope Australian law helps with the unlocking too.

scruffie
6th January 2008, 03:33 PM
I think they should release the 3g iPhones in the USA and japan first with everywhere else later on.

It would be the USA first because it is the USA. Japan because it is the only 3g market.

Everywhere else will sell the regular 2g version and phase in 3g later on when the capacity is there. It won't cannibalize sales because they'd be in markets where the iPhone hasnt been released before and they'd make more money with the whole economies of scale thing.

dmw
6th January 2008, 10:46 PM
i have heard 2 different rumors from people in the know:

1) It is going to be telstra, but they cant yet agree on the revenue share component. Optus said no because in no way were they going to share revenue.

2) in australia apple will end their one-carrier-only policy and go with 2 carriers. Vodafone have signed up and telstra is also expected to sign up soon.

dmw
6th January 2008, 10:54 PM
Hey all,

I read a few weeks ago an article 'Preview of 2008' which I am sure quite a few people have seen, but in case anyone hasn't seen it here is the link...

http://www.news.com.au/showbuzzgallery/0,26166,5014908-5027856-1,00.html

the last para of that article is interesting if not inaccurate ...

"Apple is expected to launch a new version of the iPhone in Australia that is capable of operating on faster 3G networks.

More than 1,000,000 iPhones are expected to have been sold by the end of the 2008 financial year. - Reuters"

the 1 million figure cant be for global sales as that has already been achieved, so i assume they mean aussie sales. Surely it would be impossible to sell that many iPhones in AU in less than 6 months and it hasn't even been announced yet. I imagine that less than 5 million phones are sold in AU every year so that would be like 40% market share. How do journalists get away with such cr@p?

peteryan7hao
6th January 2008, 11:12 PM
internal:
iphone will be launched in Australia in march 2008, it will be 3G and Australia will be the first country to have it (trail)
the rest of the countries will have 3G from July.
Steve Jobs will be down under to launch the product and hopefully the grand opening of apple store george st.
new iphone has two modules: 8GB and 16GB
carrier: Telstra
Telstra will be paying 6% iphone revenue to apple
iphone AU may not be activated through iTunes (still havent decided)

thanks J

The Fluffy Duck
6th January 2008, 11:14 PM
OK we are wishing for an early release as those rumours sound better :)
We are wishing for a 3G phone but they are still rolling it out in other countries so THAT is their main concern, a new handset would make it difficult.

Mid year sounds promising with current model being released in time fo the opeing of the sydney mac store.

Other than that December 30 2008 sounds the most likely release date :(

james the 2nd
6th January 2008, 11:18 PM
internal:
iphone will be launched in Australia in march 2008, it will be 3G ....iphone AU may not be activated through iTunes (still havent decided)

thanks J

where is all this info from.. just another rumor ..speculation.. or a source?

peteryan7hao
6th January 2008, 11:21 PM
where is all this info from.. just another rumor ..speculation.. or a source?

apple internal memo (asia pacific) :)

Jordan M
7th January 2008, 12:39 AM
That dosent maker sense, Telstra isnt a 3G network

I would like a screenshot of the memo :P

Devil
7th January 2008, 06:19 AM
What REALLY worries me is who picks up the phone here. So far everywhere it's been released, it has been bundled with excellent included data package.

If it's picked up by Te$tra (who has the money, marketing budget and coverage to push it so it's probably almost guaranteed to win the contract) then it will no doubt be crippled with rediculous download allowance something which makes the iphone half as usefull (let's face it, not much point having it if it's too expensive to operate).

Have faith people - Steve 'Jebus' Jobs wont let this happen. He has the power to make things happen his way - and he 'gets' what we want before we even know it!

I call Shenanigans on any internal memo - everybody knows what Apple is like with secrecy. If it is true, then someone is getting fired today!

entropy
7th January 2008, 07:03 AM
I think they should release the 3g iPhones in the USA and japan first with everywhere else later on.

It would be the USA first because it is the USA. Japan because it is the only 3g market.

Everywhere else will sell the regular 2g version and phase in 3g later on when the capacity is there. It won't cannibalize sales because they'd be in markets where the iPhone hasnt been released before and they'd make more money with the whole economies of scale thing.

I understand your reasoning, but on the other hand why would apple bother producing both a 2G and a 3G iphone? In 2g only areas the user could either just turn the 3G feature off, or for those in mixed areas the iphone could automatically download depending on the service available.

edit: unless the 2G was the iphone nano with a smaller form factor!

Shere Khaan
7th January 2008, 07:26 AM

I get a bit tired of responding to this line, but do you think that $30 a month for unlimited data is unreasonable? Well that's what telstra currently offer on their Edge network for the Hiptop device.

If telstra get it, the plans will be decent for data.

AT&T are building the same 850mhz 3.5G network as Telstra. The iphone will be either multi band or they'll have separate versions for the 2100mhz and 850mhz (unlikely).

SilverJ
7th January 2008, 02:25 PM
Wow, I'm impressed by the responses.
To think I was actually worried that my topic may be deleted by a moderator :-P
I agree with Shere, $30 a month for a decent data plan is good value. I would basically be budgeting my iPhone plan at $50 a month (provided I didn't have to fork out heaps of money to buy the iPhone to put on that plan) Telstra, should market it in such a way that they get more money from the volume of users, rather than it turning into a luxury or niche device like the high end Nokia phones. peteryan7hao comments are also quite amusing, if they are true... I imagine he'd lose his job if he posted a scan of the memo though.. time will tell!

rtc
7th January 2008, 02:36 PM
Steve Jobs will be down under to launch the product and hopefully the grand opening of apple store george st.

Now this I don't believe.

Exocet
7th January 2008, 03:21 PM

I would like a screenshot of the memo :P

What? Telstra operate two 3G networks. 2100MHz in the Cities and 850MHz nationally.

SilverJ
7th January 2008, 03:25 PM
Yes, I thought it would be common knowledge that Telstra operates 3G..
A lot of people turn off their ears when it comes to anything Telstra now it seems haha!

rtc
7th January 2008, 03:31 PM
I reckon they will announce an innovative new product for the truly electronic home:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7296/ihomephonewh4.th.jpg (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ihomephonewh4.jpg)

LarryH
7th January 2008, 05:06 PM
I hope it doesn't go "exclusive". I hope it goes to any carrier, and then we will see some real competition in prices!

Like a $0 upfront on a 120 month plan!

silverdreamer
7th January 2008, 05:44 PM
I hope it doesn't go "exclusive". I hope it goes to any carrier, and then we will see some real competition in prices!

Why am I tempted to do a Nelson impersonation.:p

mechcon
7th January 2008, 06:01 PM
$120 a month? you're bound to get at least 10mb of data usage.. watch 10 seconds of youtube and an email with that :D

Hey anything on the plan ideas from that "internal memo" ??

shiny
7th January 2008, 07:01 PM
If Telstra do a similar deal as the HipTop mentioned earlier it would not be too bad. Details of the plan here - http://www.telstra.com.au/hiptop/gethiptop_pricing.html call costs are not too bad either but not great.

vecsty
7th January 2008, 08:08 PM
Apple store opening in Syd = iPhone in Au

Now will Steve come down is the real question that needs to be asked.

tcn33
7th January 2008, 08:19 PM
I love the iPhone, but these threads are getting old. Not the speculation, but people claiming to have inside knowledge. Guess what? Your mate doesn't know anything. The only people at the mobile carriers who know anything about any negotiations are the five or ten people directly responsible - the VPs, the CEO etc. Not people in sales, not some chump in retail, not a CSR.

So please, please stop pulling "information" out of your ass. Neither you nor your mate knows a damn thing - and even if you did, you just breached your NDA and put your employer's chances of getting the iPhone into jeopardy.

/rant

timothy
7th January 2008, 08:52 PM

telstra would love the 120 month plan:)

Edd
8th January 2008, 01:51 PM
What happened to the rumours of the iPhone going with 3? Surely Apple and Telstra would negotiate like 2 brick walls. ;)

mechcon
8th January 2008, 01:55 PM
Would be a nice reality Edd

SilverJ
8th January 2008, 01:55 PM
What happened to the rumours of the iPhone going with 3? Surely Apple and Telstra would negotiate like 2 brick walls. ;)

3 said no very early on in the process because they insist on hacking up the firmware on their phones to put the '3 software' on there. I don't blame Apple for not allowing them to do that. Not to mention 3 would have to learn how to write programs for the iPhone, it's not worth it from their point of view really..

mechcon
8th January 2008, 02:05 PM
Too bad really, since they got the most competitive data/call plans in the market :\

Exocet
8th January 2008, 02:57 PM
Too bad really, since they got the most competitive data/call plans in the market :\

Only in metro areas though. Step outside, you fall back onto GSM and start paying horrendous data roaming fees.

SilverJ
9th January 2008, 03:22 PM
I have updated my original post with a link to a new story about the iPhone on the news.com.au website..

It's not the most promising news, but I don't really believe it, I think it will come soon enough.

silverdreamer
9th January 2008, 03:37 PM
Waiting in anticipation silverjunior:p

DJY
9th January 2008, 06:50 PM
I have updated my original post with a link to a new story about the iPhone on the news.com.au website..

Why?
Do you think any MacTalk member has factual insider information of Apple's plans and business negotiations? [I'm guessing no]...

so why believe anything that comes out of a phone reseller (that has a legal history with possibly the front running telco?!?!?!! Crazy John's and Telstra had a very big falling out)?

I have rarely seen a news.com.au story on Apple that even contains all current facts - let alone one that has insider information... and am more skeptical when I see that was referring to Crazy John's staff that had a play with an iPhone and wrote a story about it.

Several of our members have done the same...

The Fluffy Duck
9th January 2008, 07:38 PM
Three days after the rapture. <-- remember I called it :p

Johnny Appleseed
9th January 2008, 08:26 PM
That latest news.com.au is very sloppy journalism. How can a reseller deduce when the iPhone will be released, by reviewing a hacked overseas model?

Lachie
9th January 2008, 10:12 PM
well its confirmed!

Apple WILL be releasing the iphone into the Australian market!

it also confirmed that an un named carrier will get the exculsive rights to the iphone.

also recently confirmed is the news that the australian mactalk community is putting way to much time into iphone release date speculation!

yer look im excited to, but i think that people are getting way to flustered about un confirmed stories and reportings. cant we just wait and find out. it will save allot of fanboys and girls getting there hopes up to then possibly have them thrown beyound the firery depths of hell.

be patient, your incoherent ramblings about iphone are slowing down MTAU server speeds. (of course i cant confirm this but its a nice way to justify my prehaps harsh post)

Rasta
9th January 2008, 10:26 PM
also recently confirmed is the news that the australian mactalk community is putting way to much time into iphone release date speculation!

And this is detrimental to your health in which way???

If you don't want to be involved in the speculation, excitement etc.. then don't read the post...

Lachie
9th January 2008, 10:42 PM
its testing my sanity.

its a bit hard not to come across iphone gargin when every second header in the side bar is about iphone release date.

its not that i dont want to be involved its just overwhelming how much effort people are putting into this. we all know apple have beter security than the cia. so any reports are either rubbish, guess work or a fantasy. can we just wait and see what happens?

Scratch
9th January 2008, 10:49 PM
yeh, but i think its just the hype and excitement, if people wern't interested, then there wouldn't be all the posts

Rasta
9th January 2008, 10:53 PM
yeh, but i think its just the hype and excitement, if people wern't interested, then there wouldn't be all the posts

Agreed.

I wasn't being narky in my post earlier, it's just that people are excited about what will be. Look at the MacWorld prediction thread for another example...