PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Titanium 550Mhz Issue

applecollector
9th September 2007, 01:15 AM
Hello,
Ok quick story.
I recently got a free titanium 550Mhz Powerbook and i transfered the logic board over from the other Titanium as it has a broken hinge and various other issues.
Now the DVD read drive in this Ti was working fine under 10.4.0 and i even installed the operating system from that drive and now i have upgraded to 10.4.10 and the drive will not read dvd's or cd's at all. Once the Cd or DVD is placed in it won't even attempt to read it, it will just spit it back out again.
I have a replacement DVD drive from the other Ti but i would rather not take it apart again so would anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Any help would be greatly appricated.
Thanks

Byrd
9th September 2007, 08:34 AM
Does the disc "take" in the drive? If not, it would point to a stuffed slot-loading mechanism, which is common as they get older.

If it takes some time to read the disc, you could try a CD lens cleaner from a $2 shop, but I think replacement might be required, you can pick up a Matsushita slot-load Superdrive for around ~ $60 on eBay.

JB

applecollector
9th September 2007, 09:17 AM
Yea it takes it in but thats all.
I'm going to go to the computer market today and see what i can find.

applecollector
9th September 2007, 09:36 AM
Also i have another question.
Around the area where you plug in the adaptor is gets really warm really quickly? could this be because i have a somewhat dodgy battery in it? it seems to be charging the battery as well.

any ideas?

Byrd
9th September 2007, 09:41 AM
It's probably normal with getting a warm DC board - as long as it's charging and running fine. The Titanium case acts as a large heatsink.

JB