PDA

View Full Version : Transferring ~180gb from PC to Mac

ya3
8th September 2007, 11:26 PM
I'm hoping to get my iMac soon (:D) and I will need to get all my stuff from my PC to an external Firewire HD which I'll use with my Mac. It'll be HFS+ format, obviously, because FAT32 is too limiting for me.

Right now I've got about 180gb of stuff on a secondary SATA HD in my PC (NTFS).

Idea #1:
Connect the Firewire HD to my PC, mount it with MacDisk and transfer my stuff over. Is this safe? Is data integrity at risk by moving between different file systems using MacDisk in between?

Idea #2:
Buy an external SATA-to-USB enclosure and stick my PC HD in it, connect it to the iMac, connect the new Mac-formatted external HD to the iMac as well, mount the NTFS drive as read-only, copy stuff over. This would obviously be slower since it'd be going from USB->Mac->Firewire, and more expensive... but somehow this seems like a 'safer' method...?

Idea #3:
Set up a Firewire "LAN" between PC+Mac? Again, is data integrity an issue? And does OS X have inbuilt support for this like I know Windows XP does?

Thanks in advance :)

Brains
9th September 2007, 12:48 AM
#1. Don't use MacDisk, use MacDrive. Better product, and you can get a fully-functional 30-day trial from Media4. All your NTFS data can be safely written to your HFS+ external via Firewire or USB this way. This is the best option.

#2. Un-necessary expense and complexity. Don't bother.

#3. 1394 LAN? Don't know. Ethernet would definitely work, as long as you use SharePoints to share your Mac-connected external via SMB.

B.

ya3
9th September 2007, 01:11 AM
#1. Don't use MacDisk, use MacDrive. Better product, and you can get a fully-functional 30-day trial from Media4. All your NTFS data can be safely written to your HFS+ external via Firewire or USB this way. This is the best option.

#2. Un-necessary expense and complexity. Don't bother.

#3. 1394 LAN? Don't know. Ethernet would definitely work, as long as you use SharePoints to share your Mac-connected external via SMB.

B.

#1. HAHA, yes, I meant MacDrive - I have version 6. Not sure where I pulled MacDisk from.

#2. Thought so

#3. Hmmyeah... But regular 100mbps LAN would be slooooooooowwwwwwwwww. Thanks for pointing out SharePoints, though. I'll need that in future ;)

So MacDrive is 200% safe and reliable? Excellent! :thumbup:

epaell
9th September 2007, 11:09 AM
3. Hmmyeah... But regular 100mbps LAN would be slooooooooowwwwwwwwww.
It's not so bad actually, I regularly transfer of order of 100GB of data via 100 Mbps LAN (well, actually over a gigabit ethernet but the external LAN drive on the other end can't sustain more than about 10MB/s anyway). With 100 Mbps you'd be transferring about 30-40GB per hour and so could complete the 180GB transfer in ~5 hours (assuming you don't have any other traffic on your network).

codeman
13th September 2007, 12:01 AM
I actually tried the third option between my windows desktop and my new mbp here and couldn't get it to work...

If it did work, wouldn't a LAN over Firewire run at 400mbps?

Byrd
13th September 2007, 01:11 PM
Firewire over LAN is decidedly average, and cross platform I can see it simply not working based on driver/software issues.

Why not 100MB network? Come on, it's not that bad :)

JB

gameon
13th September 2007, 01:22 PM
option 1 is by far the best option

jubilantjeremy
13th September 2007, 01:26 PM
I was in a similar situation and set up a firewire network pretty easily and quickly. The trick was to disconnect airport and ethernet to force it to fall-back to firewire, and to manually set up IPs and subnets.

J